Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Shot Heaven ❯ In the Arms of an Angel ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Tears fell from her eyes as she stared out the window of the hotel room. She was alone this night. After all, she couldn't exactly bring him here this night. It was her senior prom and she had left the feudal era to attend it. Inuyasha was probably off with Kikyo. Sango and Miroku would be watching over Shippo. He would also be there with his daughter, preparing for the final face off against Naraku. She had returned here for her prom. He didn't know about her travels to the future so it wasn't like he had told her no.

Sighing softly, she turned and turned on the small radio alarm clock. Music spilled through as she stood to get ready. Moving to the bathroom, she allowed the water to pour over her body, easing away the sadness and tears. It was no fair really. Even when she had discovered the jewel had given her eternal life and in essence she was no longer human, she still had no chance. She was still human. Finishing her shower, she snorted and stepped out.

Moving to the closet, she gently took down the dress she had chosen. It was pure white with a flowing skirt that would fall to her ankles. It was a strapless gown. Along the bottom of the skirt red and blue sakura blossoms flowed. Thankfully this was a masquerade ball. Her new markings would not appear strange. She wouldn't have to cover them. She traced the dark blue lines on her cheek and then her gaze found the dark blue star hovering over a crescent moon. Bowing her head, she took a breath and slowly began to ready herself for a night alone.

Her mother had ordered that she go to this prom. She had seen her beginning to get far more depressed than usual. She knew that her mother had spoken to Inuyasha about it. He had no idea why either. Then again, neither did anyone else, except Shippo and Rin. She had promised them to silence. They understood and agreed. They were her children and they wanted her happy but they also knew he was unlikely to choose her.

As she was blow-drying her hair, she heard a voice whisper her name. Whirling, she saw nothing. Frowning, she turned back to the mirror and stared into her own eyes. They were so empty. Dropping her gaze, she took a deep breath. She then turned the dryer back on and forcefully looked at herself, avoiding her eyes. In an instant, the dryer fell from her now limp fingers as she gasped. He was there, watching her. Whirling, she saw nothing. `Come back koi. Let me protect you.' Shaking her head, she cried out and threw the dryer at the mirror, tears rolling down her cheeks. Dropping to her knees, she sobbed. Were the fates so cruel?

It was an hour later that she finally finished the last touches. She stared at herself in the shattered glass through the holes in her mask. Closing her eyes, she turned and left the room, walking to the elevator. Taking a deep breath, she walked out of the elevator and into the lobby, heading to the ballroom. As she entered the room, everyone around her seemed to stop and stare. She moved forward, keeping her chin high. She could feel the stares. She could smell the lust and envy and jealousy from all of the humans around her. Finding a table, she slid into a chair.

She had thought her getting over Inuyasha had been a good thing. They had become close friends. Her love had taken a new turn though. It had turned to him, the one who would never want her or accept her. Seeing that they had drinks at her table, she poured herself some juice. She tasted it and wasn't too surprised to find that it was spiked. Closing her eyes, she purified the alcohol out of it and relished the taste of the juice. Time passed slowly. She spoke to a couple of her friends but they let her be in the end.

It wasn't the whispers that alerted her to the new arrival. She felt the massive youki around them. Whirling, she stared toward the entrance. The aura felt so familiar and her heart was clenching in pain. It couldn't be him. He wasn't able to get through the well. There was a crowd in the way so she stood, attempting to see the individual. At that moment, a slow song came on. Her attention was instantly distracted as she felt her heart swell with pain and agony. A single tear made its way down her cheek. Inside, her wail of agony and pain swelled up.

“Kagome, dance with me.” She whirled at the voice and could only stare. It was him and yet it wasn't. He was dressed as she remembered but she could tell that this wasn't the same man. She couldn't resist placing her hand in his and following him to the dance floor. She felt him pull her close and almost instantly she wrapped her hands around his neck and rested her head against his chest. “How?” he chuckled. “I lost you once koi. I won't lose you again.” Kagome's eyes closed as the pain eased just a little.

They danced only with each other that night. She found herself following him as he led the way upstairs to the top floor of the hotel. She couldn't pull away she found. He wasn't the one she knew and yet he was the same. As they entered his room, he pulled her to living room and simply held her. Kagome smiled sadly. “I was a fool to let you go and now I know after this night, I will never be able to see you again.” Looking into his eyes, she searched for an answer. He had come without a disguise so there was no glamour on him. “What do you mean?”

Suddenly he pulled away from her. “No, I refuse to let you go.” He came back and gently kissed her, rocking her world completely. “Will you be my mate Kagome? Will you be mine? This is the only way I know how to save you and trick my past into saving you.” Kagome searched his eyes. “Why?” He instantly understood what she asked and growled softly, pulling her closer. “I have spent years waiting to say this to you. I love you. That is why.” Kagome felt her heart expand and joy suffuse her. She took his hand and led him to where she believed the bedroom was. Once inside, she slowly removed her mask. He was watching her with worry. Perhaps her love would be fulfilled. Perhaps not. Either way this night she could pretend that she didn't have to return tomorrow to face Naraku. “Yes.” He moved forward and immediately kissed her deeply. Kagome returned the kiss in wild abandonment. As he lifted her and gently placed her on the bed, she stared into his eyes. “I love you Sesshomaru.”