Saint Seiya Fan Fiction ❯ Armours, secrets and amazons ❯ Invisible masks ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: Invisible masks.
The sun was setting on the Sanctuary and Marin was still stuck with her work. Even if she didn't get along very well with Shaina she started to miss their discussions, worked seemed less burdening with her company, at least this day wasn't as monotonous as usual, the bronze saints visited her and even offered to assist her in her works, but despite their well intentions they pretty much ended making more of a mess than there was in the beginning. So she returned to her original plan and decided to finish the work by herself. As nightfall approached the dimming lights of her lamp started to give her a headache so she decided to call it a night. Suddenly she heard steps coming near the archive room, she immediately recognized them.
-What brings you to this scorching furnace called the archive room? - Marin said.
-Umm, nothing special, just looking for my file - responded Aioria.
-Curiosity…Ummh, yes it gets us all eventually - She said as she got up from her chair -This way there over here. But I must warn you, I doubt you'll find much information, except the one logged after your arrival at the sanctuary and began your training along with your brother.
-Okay, now, how would you now that exactly? - He stared at her
-Umm, be-because they all pretty much start the same way - She responded quickly (and breathing heavier).
-If that's the answer you're going with, well anyway, I would still like to see the file please.
She guided him to where his file was, and left him alone so she could continue with her daily routine of putting out all the lights in the place. While she was doing so, she heard him leave without saying a word. She let out a sigh of disappointment as she returned to her workstation she found a note on the table…it said to meet each other on her cabin and a smiled suddenly formed beneath her mask.
She rushed back to her cabin (and almost took out a few of the saints on the way), she did some express cleaning to her place, while her dinner was almost ready she wanted to finish the work that she had brought home with her. Various damaged files awaited her on the table. As she began to move some of the files one of them slipped and spread all over her floor.
-Damn it! - She began picking up the pages, when something caught her eye: it was a phrase on one of the pages: Even though this Amazon is extremely powerful, she could become a menace to Athena, it would be wise to watch her carefully.
-What was this? - She questioned herself and then read the title - The Lynx silver saint… I'm not supposed to be reading this - And left the file on the side. She was strictly forbidden from reading files belonging to saints of her same rank, because it would mean having an advantage toward a possible opponent.
-But there are none left…just Shaina and me- She remembered - So I guess it wouldn't hurt
There were knocks on the door that startled her, and then she smiled nervously. After all she read a file that she wasn't even supposed to touch. She hid the file under several of the others and went to open the door. No more work for tonight…
Aioria stood at the door then took a quick step towards her and gave her a strong embrace making her blush within her mask.
-Dinner's almost ready; make you at home - She told him
-It won't be necessary, I brought dinner - He answered as he showed her a basket - It's about time you relaxed for once.
-Not for me to disobey a golden saint - She smiled. Marin enjoyed the meal immensely, food was delicious and his company despite the fact that his face was to the wall so that he could not see her eat. Although she loved him and knew that he loved her back she did not have the courage to tell him, she felt it wasn't the right time.
-How's your apprentice by the way? - She asked
-Fine, tough I think he would be better if he did not play around with Jost so much.
- Milo's pupil? The boy is very wrestles, kind of reminds me of Seiya as a young obnoxious brat - Then her face changed and she became silent.
-Are you alright? - He asked -You should be proud of the work you have accomplished. He is after all a champion. Quite possibly the strongest one we have.
-I am he has improved vastly as a warrior, but as a person…
-I doubt he'll ever grow up, but that is not your fault, you can't make him change but just be proud of his accomplishments.
He the stood up, she covered her face so that he could turn towards her again - Forget everything: Seiya, your work… just relax a little, try to enjoy yourself without the weight of the world on your shoulders - He told her as he took a breath - Ahem…there's something I've been meaning to ask you.
If she wasn't nervous enough before, she certainly WAS NOW, her heart started beating more rapidly…then a knock came at the door.
-Marin, can I come in? - A voice was heard.
-Sure Hyoga, you can come in - She responded but she thought - “Idiot! Could it have killed you to wait five more minutes?”
Athena stood outside her balcony watching the night sky, it was chilly there but she did not seem to mind that much, her mind was somewhere else. Shaina had not yet returned and this worried her, she needed her to come back and soon. The marked day was approaching and knew that the sooner she backs will be better for her.
-“Please be safe Shaina” - She toughs.

It was a difficult morning in the amazons, at least for the apprentice; Shaina was used to getting up early but she watched as Cagglio woke her lazy pupil amazon style throwing her off her hammock…
-Won't be easier throw a bucket of cold water at her? - Shaina said to Cagglio.
-Tried it once already, the little brat actually smiled and thanked me because it was hot that day…and then went back to sleep! - Cagglio answered looking at her pupil's rear end pointing at the sky.
-What happened? - Misha slurred her words (her mouth was to the floor), then she felt a familiar kick on her behind. She stood at attention immediately.
Shaina watched Cagglio scold her student and discipline her through extreme exercises through the course of the morning. It reminded her of her own training. She had always been disciplined (though at first she woke up late a few times). There were times she wanted to give up, sometimes the task was really hard, but in the end it made her work harder than the others and always did more than was expected of her, soon she stood out from the rest and became one of the strongest of the Amazons. Ultimately, in a crowning achievement, she gained the silver armour; wich was an extremely difficult feat for there were very few of these. She was also proud of the fact that she had been able to help Athena. Although lately she doubted her own usefulness, when it came to critical moments, it had been the bronze saints who had come through for Athena in the last battle, she couldn't even be there, this frustrated her even more. I wasn't there when she needed me. She had her limitations and hated herself for them.
After breakfast, Misha continued her training through the rest of the day. Cagglio was determined to turn her in to a full fledged Amazon. The training seemed normal (as far as amazons go) and nothing seemed out of the ordinary in the past days. Cagglio seemed satisfied that Shaina fulfilled her word to not interfere with the child's training, nor did she at any point try to question her skills as a teacher, in her eyes this was honorable. However, she wondered how she would react to Misha's trials. This would be a good opportunity to see what she's made of and to observe their guest's reaction to the final trial.
Dusk was approaching when Cagglio was speaking with Misha; the younger one sported a combat wound after a sparring session with Shaina; she reluctantly accepted the match after much insistence on Cagglio's part. What better way for her to learn than from a strong adversary such as yourself. During the match the student was hesitant to fight fully and held out, Shaina threw a blow at her opponent expecting her to block it, she did not, and got injured in the process.
-Ow, ow, ow. It hurts! - The wounded student complained as her teacher was a tending to her injuries with herbs.
-Of course it hurts! And it hurt me to see my stupid apprentice not even try to block herself from a basic attack, you could of won the match- Cagglio yelled at her while preparing the bandage for her head.
- But she has silver cloth, clearly and advantage over me - Said the young, wide-eyed, weeping girl.
-As long as you keep thinking that way she'll always have the advantage. You either get too cocky and become careless or you become intimidated and forget your training. Stop blocking yourself! If you don't start believing in yourself you will turn into your own worst enemy every time you go into combat.
Shaina heard this and felt as if cold water was falling on her head, she too had become too cocky, too complacent for her own good, and she realized that she wasn't as strong as first thought, many have surpassed her already.
-The wound is pretty large - Cagglio continued - You'll not be able to continue training at the same pace for now.
So finish your abdominals and you'll be finished, for today and then get to rest…or they'll be no dinner tonight.
-But mistress…
-You heard me!
Cagglio headed back towards the cabin and Shaina held back from giggling while Misha made faces to her master's back wich in turn caused her head to ache (she forgot about her wounds).
-I think it will be best if you began your exercises now - Shania recommended.
-Um, yeah - Misha asked Shania - Will you be having dinner?
-Later, when it not so stifling out here- The amazon answered.
-I think you'll feel better if you take off your mask.
-I can't, it must always be worn.
-What a drag…one, two - she began her abdominals -I hate this part of the training, five and six. Too many rules…nine, ten… I sure wouldn't fall for someone just because he saw my face by accident.
-You rather have him killed?
-Nah, if that were the case the jungle would run out of men.
Shaina stood up surprised - Does that mean you've been outside the camp without your mask?
-Well, yes, but there's no need to make a big deal about it because…-she wasn't able to finish her sentence because Shania went storming in to see Cagglio.
-That is correct, we've been outside without the masks - Cagglio answers - It's a stupid rule, It's absurd and archaic and I don't feel the need to follow it.
-It's a question of honor Cagglio! They are rules that Athena herself imposed upon us centuries ago. We must obey them or die.
-The rule was not created with our sentiments in mind. Must we kill some random fool that we come across because he happened to see us on a given day? Or submit to some stranger because we were unable to defeat him in battle? It's an ancient and useless rule that I will not accept.
-You chose to become one; you have to accept the consequences.
-By the looks of things it would appear that you have accepted them.
-Of course I have!
Cagglio observed her for a few seconds and smiled, Shania shook to her core by her piercing stare.
-I see your hiding something…You love someone already.
-I'm only following rules.
-You seem to forget that every saint is forbidden to love, that includes amazons if you choose to follow that rule in particular then you're contradicting yourself.
-An amazon does not choose who she loves; she only does what is best for the Sanctuary and for Athena.
Cagglio showed her sinister smile once again: “My dear child, you have been blinded for too long by Athena. Such a pity…”
-It appears you do not show the same obedience! - Shania said very annoyed - Why is that?
-I have my reason - Cagglio shrugged her shoulders and smiled - If there's something that I don't miss from be in sanctuary is the excess of rules.
-It will be best if I left now.
-Do what you like, but Athena has sent you here for a reason. Will you return without the armour? Would you have her disappointed at you? Would you dare disobey her?
Shaina left the cabin without responding. Cagglio's words carried much reason, but she had always been faithful to Athena, even though it had cause her much tribulations and suffering not only physically but emotionally. It all had been so difficult.
Cagglio smiled at her -You'll realize the truth soon enough Shaina… You'll be back.
Nightfall had come and Shaina for some reason could not sleep lately without having that damn dream, the one were she was being chased. But that night she saw something else, something that startled her, the face of the women that held her hand and screamed her name…It was Cagglio. Was it perhaps because of the recent events?
She abandoned the safety of the tree that sheltered her and in a few moments her eyes accustomed themselves to the dark. She went to the cabin and was surprised to see that neither Cagglio nor Misha were there. She noticed a bright white paper on the table.
-Dearest Shaina, I hope we can enjoy chocolate cake this afternoon. It's time to perform the final test and I leave this message in case you should change your mind. Follow the directions and you'll arrive to where the treasure is buried. Farewell Cagglio.
Shaina exploded: That woman won't make a fool of me again! - And she runs as fast as she could, she can feels how Misha's cosmos grow fainter while approaching to the place marked in the note. Her weak energy guides her trough the crawling vegetation and the dark. Finally arrives to an open space, and she distinguish Cagglio seated on a rock at side of what seems a lake. The amazons looks relaxed, too relaxed at the situation. Shaina perceived how Misha's cosmos diminish more.
-You arrive just in time Ophiucus.
-What's going on here? Where's Misha?
Cagglio simply pointed trough the water and smiles. Shaina get close to the shore - In the lake?
-It's not a lake but a swamp - she answers with apathy - I'm expecting to see if Misha will be able to get out and pass the trial or will become in my last pupil failing the ultimate test.
Shaina look the water with hope, she really expect that the young girl will be able to get out. But she didn't see the same hope in Cagglio; she seems unmoving.
-The odds are against her. Unlucky she really is the worst of all my trainees. But you and she insist…. So I pleased you both.
-Are you nuts? - That's... that's murder!
-Well you came seeking the cloth. Isn't? Maybe and I say maybe you will take it back to sanctuary together with the pain in the ass that Misha always be. But if she did not make it, you'll have to wait a bit longer, because we must think the way to fulfill the highest standards that my master have to whom be the cloth bearer.
-And that… What it means?
Cagglio stood up and stretches as she was tired of been there - It meats that Misha already spend too much time in the swamp, her cosmos fade away totally. She failed the test.
Shaina clasp her fist at hear this - You are not concerned about her?
-It's all her fault for been so weak. I supposed that I must indulge myself with her adored chocolate cake in her place.
Shaina temper rise up, Cagglio wasn't worried at all and she took that young girl straight to death and deceived her with the expectation of gaining the cloth. Sure she was a tough master too; always try to explode the best of Cassius, she also endangered him in lot of ways but only when she knew that he could surpass the threat. But never dare to jeopardy the life of someone when is clearly know that she didn't have the chance. And that amazon did it, but… she still feels the remains of her cosmos, Misha still was inside the swamp and she will not let her die in that stupid way.
Cagglio hears the splash and turn around - Shaina, What are you doing?
But Shaina was already submerging in the swamp looking for Misha. The place was really horrible; she smells the stinks of the putrid water, maybe a death animal were rotten in there. Also there were a lot of bushes and roots and any of them could be a death trap. But the worst was the finesse of the mud; she really sinks in it and could feel the pressure around herself. She concentrate on identify the remains of Misha's cosmos to find her and let her out of there so she focus in her own cosmos, finally she could move with more freedom, even with the raising pressure of the swamp. At last she could find her, the girl was slowing sinking into the darkest part of the swamp, and could feel that the young girl didn't have any strength left. Shaina raises her cosmos, she will not let herself be defeated for this place, and was determinate to save this girl of that heartless master.
Then Cagglio smiles at the feeling of Shaina raising her cosmos again, she back to her place on the rock, but this time she seems more interested, like this was what she really expected…
Shaina could finally reach Misha and try to ascend, but the mud seems to have own life and rises the pressure as it will prevent her of let her escape. She resists, fights against with all her strength but didn't progress a lot. The weight of Misha was preventing her to advance, but she still refuses to give in to. Shaina did not see a branch and that bump into her head. She gets dizzy and slowing feels how her own mind drops in the darkness.
Cagglio notes this and murmurs - Maybe is wasn't you the chosen one after all…