Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ What's a chimera to do? ❯ Chapter 5

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Author's note: Enjoy.
 
Chapter 5
 
It had been three days since Amelia confessed. Three whole hellish days.
 
Zelgadis had been mincing around the issue, Xellos could tell. He was acting more open with Amelia, but at the same time, holding her at a distance. Even Amelia was starting to pick up on it. Which meant it was extremely, and painfully obvious.
 
It was irritating.
 
“I told you to leave me alone about this. We are NOT discussing it,” the chimera said petulantly, arms folded across his chest.
 
“And I told you, that we are,” the priest shot back.
 
He had eventually lost his patience with the whole thing, and decided he'd corner Zel while he was on watch. Again. He would have done it earlier, but this was the first time since then that the chimera was on late evening duty, and the others were blessedly asleep. He had a feeling this wouldn't get too far, otherwise.
 
“And what makes you think you can order me about?” His blue eyes glittered in the near dark. It was that intensity that had really caught Xellos' attention so long ago- what made him want the chimera so badly. Beautiful shell aside, that tortured agonized soul of his glowed like a luminescent gem. It made Xellos want to possess him utterly.
 
“What is making you be so difficult?” he said in exasperation.
 
Zel turned his head to the side with a snort, openly ignoring the mazoku. His profile was outlined in the moon's half light. Xellos found his gaze drawn instinctively to that haughty mouth. He bit his lip, trying to focus. He didn't want a repeat of the other day's events.
 
Zelgadis was currently gauging the trajectory and speed that would be required to knock Xellos out of the tree. He had a nice, stable position on the heavy bow, where he was using the tree trunk as a backrest. Xel, on the other hand, was precariously balanced on the other end.
 
“Don't you dare, chimera,” Xellos warned.
 
“What's stopping me?” he asked innocently.
 
“For starters, it's rude. And you can stop making that face at me, right now.” Xellos brandished his staff. “More importantly, you try to knock me off, and you're coming with me.”
 
“How cold,” Zelgadis remarked glibly, “and here I thought you wanted me.”
 
In a heartbeat, Xellos' staff was jammed up against his throat. He hadn't even seen it coming. Zel tried not to choke.
 
“Are you mocking me Zelgadis-san?” Xellos' voice was low and dangerous, the honorific used spitefully. The mazoku towered over him, violet eyes shining with malice, his staff held like the weapon it was. “I would hate to think that is the case.”
 
Zelgadis felt like his windpipe was being crushed as Xellos lifted his chin up.
 
“Now,” he continued, “perhaps we can rejoin our previous discussion with civility.” His voice sounded almost friendly, appeasing, but the pressure at his throat did not let up. In fact, it fractionally increased, forcing out the coughs that Zelgadis had been holding back. He gasped for air in between, his eyes watering.
 
“Why are you stalling?” the mazoku demanded. “We both know you don't even like the kid like that.”
 
Zelgadis looked away.
 
“I've been watching you,” he said openly. “Both of you…”
 
The pressure eased up, and Zelgadis gulped in air with shuddering breaths.
 
“She loves you like she would love some new toy, or trinket. A fickle obsession that would pass with time, made all the more potent by your unattainable air.” The mazoku's eyes pinned. “She would be happy to be with you, but ashamed to have anyone see who and what you are.”
 
He shook his head. “And you. You KNOW this, don't you?” That sharp gaze was upon him again, tearing him up piece by piece.
 
“So tell me!” he demanded, “Why are you still messing around with it?!”
 
Zelgadis reached up with a tired hand to take hold of the staff. He pulled it away from his throat, and Xellos let him.
 
“Is this enough pain for you, demon? Enough torment?” he rasped out.
 
Xellos sat down cross-legged in front of him, deigning patience once more.
 
Zelgadis let out a dry chuckle, coughing again because of it. Despair radiated from him in waves. “I don't know what the hell I'm doing.”
 
“I get small pleasure in feasting off of you, Zelgadis,” the mazoku said quietly, eyes looking out to the horizon.
 
“Then why do you do this to me?” he said brokenly. “You've seen everything, heard everything, know everything. There's nothing left. Does it make you happy to hear this mess directly from the source? Do you get a kick out of it?” His voice was bitter, accusing.
 
“I want to know why you are willing to be with her, knowing what you do, feeling how you do.” Xellos shredded and tore pieces of bark off the tree limb, looking elsewhere. “I've seen everything, but it doesn't make sense. It's completely irrational, and goes against everything I know about you.”
 
“Pffft,” Zelgadis scoffed, “and what is it that you know about me?”
 
“What indeed,” came the ambiguous answer, before Xellos phased out.
 
 
**************
 
“RAaaaaaaarrrgh!” Xellos smashed his fist into the wall. “Why?! Why is he always like that? It's infuriating!”
 
“Hun, I'd really appreciate it if you'd tone it down a notch. I'm full, so you aren't really doing anything for me.”
 
Xellos grasped at his shredded control. “I apologize…. Beastmaster,” he said to the tawny haired woman.
 
She was lounging on a settee in front of the fireplace, slitted yellow-gold eyes following him with mild amusement. “Really, Xellos, I can't believe he has you all worked up again.” She laughed.
 
He hated her laugh. It was so light and carefree, jubilant, it rang of good nature… it was everything that she wasn't. It was a sound that haunted his nightmares.
 
She examined her fingernails in the flickering light.
 
“Now, be a good boy and give me your report.”
 
Xellos bit back his anger and knelt at her feet. “As previously reported, Lina has not found any further clues as to the location of the Claire Bible manuscripts. Her last lead was the one we planted. She aided us in the final effort, and we have since requisitioned it for ourselves.” He looked up.
 
“Marvelous, darling, but boring. Tell me something of interest.”
 
Xellos gritted his teeth. He hated these games of hers. If he couldn't determine what she was after, he'd be punished. Brutally.
 
“What would be more to your liking, Master?”
 
“Tell me about the chimera,” she said with a widening smile.
 
“There is nothing of note, Master.”
 
She flicked a nail at him, and he was knocked off his feet by the rush of power.
 
“Ughn,” he groaned as he tried to right himself. His arm hung limply by his side, feeling as if it had been severed.
 
“Naughty, naughty.” She waved a finger at him. “I know it's the chimera that has you in such a worked up state, precious.” She chuckled, gesturing languidly, “No one else has been able to get under your skin, my beautiful Xellos.”
 
Why Beastmaster chose to appear female, Xellos would never know. But he HATED her, it. There was no hiding anything. Even things that should be able to be held personal.
 
“I'm waiting, Xellos,” she said impatiently.
 
“The princess has proposed feelings for him.”
 
“AAaaahh, that does explain a lot. Continue.”
 
“He is unsure of how to take the news.”
 
“Oh, COME now, boy, get to the meat of it. What about this rankles you so?”
 
Xellos gritted his teeth. He needed to keep her attention off of this as much as possible. If she got too interested in Zelgadis, she might kill him, bring him here, or worse.
 
“She is a snot nosed child. Zelgadis is a master at shamanist magic, and also a half-breed of our race. She insults him by professing such weak feelings for him. And yet he lowers himself by considering her proposal.”
 
“You think highly of him, then?” she raised a perfect eyebrow.
 
“…Yes, Beastmaster.”
 
“Then why don't you claim him?”
 
Xellos choked, “Wha- What?” A jolt coursed through him at the mere suggestion of it.
 
She smiled “You know I will not allow you to harm the princess, or the others, but you may do what you wish, otherwise.”
 
Xellos just stared at her.
 
“Oh, please. I know you've had a thing for him almost as soon as you laid eyes on him. Plus, I've seen him,” she purred, “and I think he's an excellent choice for you. You always did like them pretty.”
 
She returned her gaze to the fire.
 
“Go on now,” she snipped, “I'm done with you. Get out of my sight.”