Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Life Bestowed ❯ Just Another Day ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

Don't forget to check out Scotty CF's version of this story!

Chapter 2: Just Another Day

It had been a restful night of sleep, especially for Johnny, who hadn't ever slept before. The now carbon-based Johnny slowly awoke, opening his eyes gradually. He got up, discovering it to be hard to do at first, and felt cold for the first time as the blanket slid off. Sleepily, the hedgehog stumbled from the room, and went into the kitchen. There he saw Sonic, making a pot of coffee. The hedgehogs noticed each other.

Sonic: Good morning, Met-er…-Johnny.

Johnny: What time is it? I can't seem to access my internal clock.

Sonic: You probably don't have one now. Let's see, it's about 7:30. You look kinda tired.

Johnny: I do seem to have trouble moving around.

Sonic: Here, try some coffee. It'll jump-start your day.

Sonic handed Johnny a hot mug of coffee. He watched eagerly as Johnny lifted it to his mouth, and sniffed it. The once robotic hedgehog's right eye twitched, and he set the mug down.

Johnny: Uh…No thanks.

Sonic: Ah, whatever. More for me!

Johnny: Do you have any other ways of…What is it…Waking up?

Sonic: Well, an early morning jog is good. I'm about to go do that, in fact. Wanna come along?

Johnny: I suppose.

A few minutes later, the two hedgehogs left the base, and Johnny was again reminded that he couldn't fly, or even hover. But, he managed to keep up with Sonic, and they jogged down the block. A little later, they returned, full of fresh air.

Sonic: So, how do you feel? Awake yet?

Johnny: Actually, yes. I have used energy, yet it has served to energize me. Most illogical…

Sonic: You aren't gonna turn into Billy, are you?

Johnny: I don't believe so…

Johnny didn't quite understand that Sonic had made a joke, and was confused by the statement. He let it go when they saw Scotty awake, eating some pancakes.

Scotty: Hey, you two. Where've you been?

Sonic: Out jogging.

Scotty: You went without me?

Sonic: Sorry.

Scotty: Hey, don't worry about it. Besides, I made breakfast without you, so I guess we're even.

Sonic: I guess so, but seeing those pancakes has made me hungry. What about you, Johnny?

Johnny: Hmm…I am experiencing the same odd feeling as before, so I guess I am hungry.

Sonic: What do you want?

Johnny: You need not worry about that. I'll get it. Hopefully I can still cook.

Johnny made scrambled eggs with bacon, and put it between to slices of toast to make a delicious sandwich. He ate it slowly, enjoying the taste. Sonic had the same thing as Scotty, and later, the others woke up. They all got something to eat, and it was now late in the morning.

Meanwhile, somewhere deep in Robotnik's layer, he had yet another plan. He addressed Chaos and Metal Sonic, giving them instructions.

Robotnik: I have an unusual mission for you both. With our recent defeat of Metal Sonic 2, I have realized that the key to victory is to attack the heroes' abilities rather than the heroes themselves. So, here's how it's going to go: I want you to lure them from their base, and take as much as you can from them. Try and get Sonic's shoes, Scotty's sword, Knuckles's gloves, etc. Got it?

Metal Sonic: So we've been reduced to petty thievery now?

Chaos: But why steal pennies?

Metal Sonic slapped Chaos on the back of the head.

Metal Sonic: Not pennies, you moron!

Robotnik: Both of you stop! It is not petty, and it will be very helpful, I believe. Now go!

Metal Sonic: Right away!

Chaos: Left away!

The two ran from the base as Robotnik rolled his eyes. The scientist walked to his base's control room. He grinned as he pulled a massive lever that stuck out of the floor.

Robotnik: Now on to my real plan!

The ground shook, and outside, the dirt and rocks broke and cracked, separating from each other. The entire base slowly began to rise upwards. It rumbled as huge antigravity machines caused it to gain altitude. Robotnik's entire circular fortress left a huge crater in the ground where it had been as it lifted off. Inside, Robotnik began to laugh maniacally. Meanwhile, Metal Sonic and Chaos hurried toward their opponents. When they reached the Refuge, they found it unguarded. The morning sky was bright now as the two approached the door.

Metal Sonic: Okay, Chaos, remember we're stealing things, not just fighting now. Got it?

Chaos: <looks down at hands> No, I don't got anything.

Metal Sonic: You don't have anything in your head, either. Now let's do this.

Metal Sonic opened the door, surprised that it was unlocked, and they walked in. They wanted to remain as quiet and stealthy as possible, and grab as much as they could before they were found. When Metal Sonic detected some of them in one of the rooms, he snuck past it, not looking in. Therefore, he didn't see Johnny walk into that room with a tray full of food. Metal Sonic signaled for Chaos to come across, and then realized that it was probably a dumb thing to do and tried to stop him. Chaos stopped, but he did so right in the middle of the doorway. Johnny just happened to glance over, and saw Chaos. He looked back at the TV for a moment as the sight registered in his mind. Double taking, his head whipped back over to the door, but Chaos was gone.

Johnny: <looks down at food> Hmm…Perhaps I didn't cook it right…

Metal Sonic dragged Chaos down the hallway. They came to Billy's lab, though they weren't aware of it at the time. Cautiously, the two evildoers entered after scanning it and finding the room empty. For once, Billy wasn't here.

Metal Sonic: Okay, you waterfall, let's see if we can find anything we need in here.

Chaos: I found some of those pennies the boss wanted!

Metal Sonic was about to say something to Chaos, but stopped. He just didn't care anymore. Turning away, the robot noticed the handle of a laser sword. Realizing what it was, he pulled it from the rack that held it.

Metal Sonic: This must be that hedgehog's sword. Maybe they keep other things in here as well…

There was a voice from outside, and Metal Sonic pulled Chaos down under a table and behind some equipment. Seconds later, Billy walked into the room, speaking to someone outside.

Billy: …I'll only be a moment, I just have to get the power welder.

He walked over to a desk, and picked up a large welding device. Then something caught his eye. Billy looked over at the rack that should've been holding his sword, but found that it wasn't there.

Billy: That's rather odd…

The echidna looked underneath some papers, behind a stack of chemical vials, and was about to look behind the machine that hid Metal Sonic and Chaos. Before he was too close, Tails called him from the hall. Remembering they needed to hurry, Billy left, carrying the welder with him. After a moment, Metal Sonic relaxed a bit, letting go of Chaos's mouth.

Metal Sonic: That was too close. Okay, let's see what else we can find…

They snuck out of the room while Billy and Tails walked to the base's hangar. They came to a large, two-bladed helicopter with the name "Freedom Eagle" painted on the side in white capital letters. It had a paint job that was supposed to represent an eagle, and the two inventors entered it.

Tails: Okay, once those bars are connected, this bird should be ready to fly.

Billy: I certainly hope so!

Billy laid down on a small rolling platform, facing up. He lit the welder, and rolled into a rectangular hole that led to the helicopter's front left landing gear. Tails thought for a moment, and then his eyes grew wide. He grabbed Billy's foot, and pulled him out. Billy had a confused look on his face.

Billy: Tails…I uh…I haven't even started yet.

Tails: Good…You might need this.

The fox reached over and handed Billy a metal facemask used for welding. Billy took it and put it on. Tails rolled his eyes at the actions of the semi-absent minded echidna.

Billy: Thank you, Tails. I must say, you've saved me from a most unpleasant experience.

Tails: Hey, what are friends for?

Billy rolled back under, and continued working. Johnny finished his breakfast, and put the plates in the sink. Sonic saw him, and patted him on the back.

Sonic: Congratulations, Johnny, you can eat like a pro.

Johnny: I found it to be rather easy, once I figured it out. And it tasted good, too.

Sonic: Great!

Scotty entered the room, and he seemed to have something on his mind.

Sonic: Hey, Scott, what's up?

Scotty: Tails wanted me to tell you guys that their helicopter is ready to test.

Johnny: The Freedom Eagle?

Scotty: Yep. Come on, we'll go down to the hangar and check it out.

Sonic: I'm there!

They all left for the hangar, almost in a sort of race together. It was only a short time before they arrived, and saw Tails standing in front of the Eagle. He had a proud look on his face, and watched them enter.

Tails: Hey, guys!

Sonic: Hi there, Tails. Looks like you've got quite a machine there.

Tails: Don't thank me. Billy built that thing; I just helped a little.

Scotty: Speaking of Billy, where is that guy?

Tails: He's in the Eagle. We were waiting for you to get here so we could start it up.

Sonic: Then what are we waiting for?

Tails came up to them, and turned around. He gave a thumbs-up to the Eagle's cockpit, and inside, Billy nodded. The echidna flipped some switches, and the motors began to start up. He turned a few knobs, and they grew louder. The blades on top of the helicopter began to turn, picking up speed quickly. Billy grabbed a small lever, and flipped it upwards. The engines grew nearly silent as the blades picked up speed.

Sonic: That is way past cool, guys.

Johnny: Yes, good work.

Johnny patted Tails on the head, as he'd done many times before. This time, however, he felt the soft fur underneath his hand. He rubbed the fox's head, trying to memorize the texture.

Tails: So, you guys want to ride it?

Scotty: Ride it? Eh-heh…Like…right now?

Tails: Uh-huh.

Sonic: Come on, Scott. It'll be fun.

Johnny: I have flown many times before, but I've never felt any of the unusual feelings that I've heard are associated with it.

Tails: Then here's your chance! Let's go!

They began to approach the helicopter, but stopped when there was a weird noise from far above. Looking up, they saw a bottom panel of the air ducts break, and two familiar foes fell to the ground. Metal Sonic stood up, somehow unhurt from the fall, and grabbed Chaos.

Metal Sonic: I told you going through that air vent was a bad idea!

Chaos: It's not my fault you followed me.

Metal Sonic: You're right, something must be wrong with my logic circuits…

Sonic: What are YOU doing here?!

Metal Sonic and Chaos were startled by the question.

Metal Sonic: Wouldn't you like to know?

Johnny raised his arm to fire his blasters, but nothing happened. After a moment of confusion, the hedgehog remembered that he didn't have blasters anymore. Still, the whole movement looked odd, and caught Metal Sonic's attention.

Metal Sonic: And just who are you? And what are you trying to do?

Chaos: he looks kinda like that robot we disintegrated…

Metal Sonic: …Hmm…

Metal Sonic scanned the hedgehog after seeing that his color coat nearly matched that of his foe.

Metal Sonic: You are him, aren't you?

Johnny: <sweatdrop> Well…

Metal Sonic: I knew it!

Metal Sonic jumped out at Johnny, but Scotty leapt in the way, activating his sword. Metal Sonic stopped only inches in front of the blade, and backed away.

Metal Sonic: That's impossible! WE have your sword!

He held out the metal handle of a laser sword, showing it to them. Billy saw it from inside the helicopter, and realized it to be his.

Scotty: Apparently you don't. Now prepare to pay for your crimes!

Scotty charged at Metal Sonic, and the robot activated Billy's sword. They fought each other in a duel of laser blades.

Chaos: Ooh, I wish I had some popcorn!

Metal Sonic: Go steal their stuff while I hold him off!

Sonic: What? Steal our-OOF!

He had been tackled by Chaos in mid-sentence. The watery creature turned into a puddle, and surrounded Sonic's shoes. He began to pull on them, and quickly yanked one off. He went for the other one, and it came off, too. The puddle, carrying the shoes, hurried away. Johnny ran after him, trying to grab the shoes.

Sonic: My shoes! Hey, come back with those!

Sonic jumped up and began to chase after Chaos. He picked up speed, but then slipped on his socks. To stop from hitting the ground with his face, he curled into a ball, and rolled forward. Sonic accidentally crashed into Metal Sonic, and they both tumbled to the floor. Billy's sword rolled away from the robot's reach, deactivated. Scotty helped Sonic up.

Scotty: Hey, Sonic, are you okay?

Sonic: I'm fine, but Chaos took my shoes!

It was about then that Amy entered the door. Having heard a lot of noises coming from the room, she had come to investigate. The hedgehog was surprised at what she saw. Amy ran up to Tails.

Amy: Hey, Tails, what's going on here?

Tails: Metal Sonic and Chaos dropped in for a visit.

Metal Sonic used his jet to back away from Sonic and Scotty, and then saw Tails and Amy, unguarded. The robot flew toward them. Tails saw it coming and jumped out of the way. Amy, however, was not so quick to react, and got knocked down by the robot. She yelled in pain from the hit, and that caught Johnny's attention. The hedgehog zipped over to Metal Sonic, and grabbed his and before the robot could attack again.

Johnny: No! You will NOT harm Amy!

Surprised, Metal Sonic turned around and saw Johnny with a look of rage on his face. Johnny grabbed the robot's arm with both hands, and flung him several feet away. He then ran up to Amy, and offered his hand to help her up.

Johnny: Amy…Are you hurt?

Amy: I don't think so…

She took his hand, and Johnny helped the hedgehog up. Their eyes met, and an odd feeling came over them for a moment. Amy was then reminded of something that happened quite some time ago…

<begin flashback>

It was a dark alley, and Amy jogged down it, carrying a bag of groceries. She was in kind of a hurry, but stopped in her tracks when a masked man jumped out in front of her. Amy dropped the bag, startled

Man: Hey there, missy.

Amy began to back away slowly, but stopped when she backed into another masked man.

Man 2: You look like someone who has some cash.

Man 1: So why don't you hand it over?

Amy: I…I uh…

Man 1: What's wrong? Don't you speak English?

The man shoved her into a wall, and she fell down. They both approached her, and she closed her eyes, trying to shield herself with her hands. She could sense one of them was about to grab her, but she then heard a yelp and a choking sound.

Man 2: What in the world?!

Not daring to open her eyes, Amy then heard a yell followed by a thud, and shortly afterwards there was the sound of someone crashing into a garbage can nearby. There was then an electronic Russian voice that spoke to her gently.

Voice: Are you hurt?

Cautiously, Amy opened her eyes a little bit, peeking between her hands. She saw a robotic blue hedgehog offering his hand to help her up. She recognized it to be some sort of Metal Sonic, and gasped, hiding behind her hands again. Amy didn't know it at the time, but she was hiding from Metal-2.

Amy: Please don't hurt me!

Metal-2: Miss, I will not harm you. Please, let me help.

Metal-2 picked up the bag of groceries while Amy cautiously looked again. The robot set the bag down beside her. Amy then felt a metallic hand on hers, and carefully grabbed it. Opening her eyes, she let Metal-2 help her up. Looking into each other's eyes, they both felt a twinge of something deep inside.

Amy: Thanks…Who are you?

Metal-2: I am a force for good. My name is Metal Sonic 2, but you may call me Metal.

Amy: Well then, thanks…Metal.

Metal-2: May I know your name?

Amy: Amy…My name's Amy.

Metal-2: Very well. Come on, Amy, I will escort you home.

Amy: No, no, it's okay.

Metal-2: Please…I want to help.

Amy picked up the bag, and looked back up at the robot. She could tell that he wasn't lying; that he would help her.

Amy: Okay, then.

Metal-2: Let's go.

They returned to Amy's apartment, and, after making sure she was okay, Metal-2 left. He promised to be back the next morning, and he was.

<end flashback>

Amy: Thanks, Johnny.

Johnny: It's dangerous here. You should go for now.

Amy thought for a moment, and then shook her head.

Amy: No, Johnny. I want to stand beside you and fight.

Johnny: Are you certain?

Amy: Trust me, I'll be fine.

Amy took out her hammer, and the two approached Metal Sonic, who was standing up.

Amy: Hey, you! Don't you know it's not nice to hit a girl?!

Metal Sonic: I am not bound by pitiful morals!

Metal Sonic stood up just in time to be pounded by the Piko piko hammer that belonged to Amy. He fell to the ground, damaged. Johnny walked up to Amy.

Johnny: Mind If I borrow that?

Amy: Go ahead!

Johnny took Amy's hammer, and walked up to the damaged Metal Sonic. Holding the weapon like a golf club, he wound up a hit, and then swung the hammer with extreme force, slamming it into the robot. Metal Sonic was sent into an overturned trashcan that flew out of the hangar and crashed on the runway.

Johnny: Well, my shot kinda to the left, but I'm happy with it.

Amy: Golf clap?

Johnny: Golf clap.

They both clapped quietly for a moment before bursting out in laughter. Johnny handed Amy her hammer as they calmed down. Behind them, Sonic, Scotty, and Tails were all chasing after Chaos, who had somehow managed to evade them the entire time. Then, Billy had an idea. He pulled a lever that was next to the seat, and the helicopter would've taken off if it weren't still tied to the ground. Instead, it created a powerful wind in the hangar that flattened Chaos until he couldn't carry the shoes anymore. Sonic leapt into them, happy to have them back.

Sonic: My shoes! I'm so glad to be in you again!

Scotty: Sonic…Are you talking to your shoes?

Sonic: Uhh…No…

Tails: <snickers>

Sonic: What are you laughing at?

Tails: You!

Scotty: What do we do with Chaos?

Sonic: Hey, where'd he go?

Chaos had followed Metal Sonic out of the hangar by then. Somehow, the two had gotten away. The group gathered together, enjoying their victory.

Sonic: Well, this was quite a morning.

Johnny: Perhaps we should do it again sometime.

They all laughed for a while, and eventually, Sally came into the hangar with a worried look on her face. She hurried up to them.

Sonic: hey, Sal…Is something wrong?

Sally: The news! Quickly, come look!

Worried, they all ran back into the base, and came to a television with the news on it. It showed some sort of giant flying thing over the city. It looked like a UFO from the ground, and even stranger from one of the news helicopters. The mysterious machine floated silently over the city…

So, what did you think? Please review!