Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time Fan Fiction ❯ My Equal, My Friend ❯ Spun Glass ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Does anyone else think this is getting redundant? No, I don't own it, but a girl can dream can't she?
Author's Notes: You know, it's about time I got the inspiration for another chapter. If anyone thought that Tattered Pride drifted away from the game's story line, this chapter definitely will. I've actually gotten to the very end of the game twice but somehow I saved over both those games, how I have no idea. Because of that I'll be drifting away from the story line from here on out. This should be the second to last chapter of this story but with how I ended this chapter I might have to do a couple more chapters. I honestly have no idea how I turned this chapter out though I suppose it came to me since my Internet was being a pain at the time and forced me to change my password. This whole story is basically done in a stream of consciousness (or whatever it's called) style so it may be a bit confusing (like the last chapter wasn't confusing enough). In case you can't tell, this scene takes place in Spiral Tower. Any ways, sorry for taking so long updating and I hope you like the newest chapter. Cheers everyone!
Spun Glass
Crystalline towers of blocks rose above us like spun glass as we rested beneath its dappled shadow. The maggots were huddled together like frightened sheep, but not us. We sat apart from them, sitting side by side, your head resting on my gauntlet clad arm as you napped. My own eyes were closed in rest, though my hand clasped around the hilt of my katana told all of my state of wakefulness.
I could feel that blonde fool's eyes upon me, no doubt wondering why I allowed you such liberties while the others in our rag-tag group had none. I open my eyes and meet his gaze with my own narrowed glare. He wishes to call you away form me; to disturb your much needed rest and take away the only warmth I've felt since my father's death. My hand tightens on the hilt of my katana; the only thing keeping me in place is the gentle weight against my side.
I smirk as the female of his kind hits the back of his head to gain his attention. I wonder at times if they aren't married. You shift against my side and run calloused fingers through my bangs.
“Having another glaring contest with Cliff?” you mutter sleepily, your eyes half lidded and still slightly glazed from your nap.
“The fool started it,” I say with a half shrug and a dismissive gesture towards said fool, my voice light and uncaring.
You only chuckle and smile warmly and, perhaps, a bit indulgently at me before pulling yourself closer to resume you nap. I can only watch you as you rest as questions drift around my mind and knowing some of them reflected in my eyes though only you would know where to look to see them.
Your childhood friend watches us now; I can see her from the corner of my eye. I can tell she worries for how close we've become in such a short time just as the blonde ape does. The others, I know, are curious about it as well though they don't worry like these two do. They want you for themselves. I can see it in their eyes and how they vie for your attention. It's amusing to watch, really. How you indulge them for a while then artfully slip away all the while taking another step away form them and bringing yourself that one step closer to me.
They all want to separate us at the end of this; I can see it in their eyes. I know they all have their own reasons for wanting to and for allowing us to remain close as we travel. There is something else in their eyes, though which I can not place. It's as if they are... resigned... to the fact that though they may want to separate us they can't for some reason or another
Perhaps there is something more to this genetic thing then what has been alluded to. Perhaps that video, or whatever it was, only told half of the story. Because everyone knows that where there is destruction there is always creation.
--End--