Static Shock Fan Fiction ❯ Watch The Sky ❯ The Uninvited ( Prologue )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimer: I DO NOT OWN STATIC AND OTHER ASSOCIATED CHARACTERS! Dwayne McDuffie and WB and Milestone do in...their various ways.

Warning: profanity, darkness, slash


Prologue: The Uninvited.



The knocking was persistent. Within the dark silence, it was a heartpounding sound; quick and repetitive. It was a quest for an invitation, and it wasn’t one that was wanted. It continued on without pause. The digital clock read ten til three---it always started around twenty after two without fail. Neither soft nor loud, the knocking would continue until one or both grew fed up with the noise, sleep disturbed by the thought of what was wanting in.

Both of them snuggled close, neither wanting to leave the comfort and security of their embrace or bed. It didn’t matter whose room they were in---the knocking would follow them. It was a nighttime visitor that was never to be allowed in. Their parents, as light sleepers as they were, would never hear it. It rarely came to the door, and the windows were never touched. ‘They’ never came in through the most obvious means. With what They were capable of, They never intruded without invitation. So the pair of them never gave permission if they could help it.

Of course with this withholding of invitation, there were consequences that they’d have to face later. They weren’t worth the refusal, but at the same time, given invitation wasn’t worth it either. A hopeless situation that both feared and hated.

At six twenty, when their parents’ alarm would go off, the knocking would stop. And both of them would arise for the day, tired and sluggish, to face whatever consequences were meant for them for their refusal.

01010011

The twelve year olds were known in their neighborhood as troublemakers. Because they had learned to manipulate and retaliate in passive-aggressive ways, they were picked on by their peers with relentless attitudes---instead of learning ways to counteract this bullying with compromise, the Foley twins would think of devious ways against their bullies with tactics that were unfavorable to the world. Sixteen year old John Bruly wrecked his brand-new Camry, a birthday gift from his parents, because twelve year old Osgoode Foley cut the brakelines. It wasn’t proved---and there was never a known motive, because John died that day; because he had punched Osgoode’s brother and blackened his eye. Fourteen year old Travis Jacob broke his arm during an unfortunate skateboarding incident---but he was lucky. The car had missed him by scant inches and his reflexes were faster than the twins’ had anticipated. Though people had suspected, the twins’ claimed innocence, but the prompt for Travis’s broken arm was agitated by the boy smashing Osgoode’s science project at the busstop the morning before.

Fifteen year old Marie Dravovich suffered a head injury when her waist length hair was ‘accidentally’ ensnarled into the back of a bus’s emergency exit handle as she walked by---the bus dragged her for fifteen feet before someone caught the driver’s attention. It was speculated that the day before she had made fun of Richard’s ‘prissy’ tendencies, and Osgoode had been the one to exact his revenge. No matter that she’d traveled in a group of kids that had walked past the bus at the same time Osgoode had; the twin had been blamed because of the particular amount of ‘accidents’ that had happened that involved the Foley boys.

Classmates Josh Melvin and Terry Jackson were then ‘targeted’; they were rushed to the emergency room when they suffered allergic reactions after eating pizza with their friends. Earlier that pizza incident, both Josh and Terry had taken the twins’ money for the arcade games that were located within the pizzeria. Two boys unrelated to the twins’ area were found half-alive in a popular gully area close to the boys’ playground in the woods; they’d somehow ‘fallen’ into a dark cave-in with no way out, with no way of calling for help due to the area. Earlier, the two boys had thrown rocks at the twins while they were examining tree stumps for bugs, ridiculing them for their ‘nerdiness’.

All incidents were related to the twins, and because of the severity of these incidents, many people began to speculate that the two boys were ‘unstable’. Many parents began to blame the twins for drawing negative attention to themselves in their own ways; because of their refusals to be different, for showing such confusing similarities, for refusing to branch out to others to have ‘separate’ lives. They claimed that the twins encouraged bullying, that they ‘asked’ for it for being so ‘weird’.

When they turned fourteen, popular neighborhood teen Kyle Green had died in a fatal hit-and-run; he’d been chasing after Osgoode, who’d instigated the chase, witnessing neighbors claimed. Only because Kyle had made fun of Richard for wearing his mother’s lipstick outside of the house. When the neighborhood rallied for ‘banishment’ of the Foley family, Sean and Maggie left without further prompt---not because they believed their sons were guilty of their peers’ claims, but because their beloved boys were in danger of retaliation from others bent on proving something.

All the incidents, combined with the twin’s natural closeness to each other just made their relationship that much more intense. They were convinced that the world was against them; that they only had each other. Which made separate socializing completely out of the question. They didn’t make friends, and chose to strike first rather than being struck first. As such, months after settling into their new neighborhood in Dakota, they made more enemies than friends. Even if situations didn’t arise again in fatal accidents, the twins were targeted and bullied.

Even with the move, the knocking and the uninvited continued.

01010011

Things changed for the twins their junior year. Within their private school---made possible by their concerned parents, who worked harder and longer to keep their sons safe from public ‘riff-raff’---there were a very few that overlooked the twins’ cold shoulders and stiff interaction. Though efforts were hampered by the twins’ refusal to open up to suspicious friendliness from their classmates, persistence paid off when Osgoode, the more steadfast of the pair, began to open up considerably to Virgil Hawkins, a boy whose motives in gaining their friendship was a little obvious to those around him.

Virgil Hawkins had always been questionable in terms of his sexuality, but when the twins arrived at Dakota Academy, it was obvious whom he was leaning more to. The pair delighted him, and his friends commented constantly on his drooling and staring tendencies.

Richard Foley, the older twin, hated that his brother was breaking away from their once firm connection. Once he realized Osgoode was allowing Virgil to accompany them to their favorite hangouts, inviting the other student to their house and often letting the teen sit with them during lunch, Richard didn’t adjust well to the ‘intrusion’. He began to see Virgil as the enemy. Richard grew angry when Osgoode chose to ‘hang out’ with Virgil rather than his own brother.

This resentment grew to hate when Osgoode started staying at the Hawkins’ residence longer and longer, when Virgil spent the night at their house. His twin was shutting him out in favor of being with Virgil, and this greatly upset Richard. It wasn’t fair that Osgoode would drop him so suddenly when they had spent their lives together; plotting against the world to keep each other safe. Especially when They came.

Because of this particular friend, it seemed as if the inevitable happened---their bond, so strong and so sure, was breaking. Richard found himself alone, feeling like a third wheel to his brother’s and his friend’s company. It was obvious that a few months after meeting Virgil Osgoode felt more than ‘friendly’ toward him. It was awkward for Richard knowing this, for it seemed that the more Osgoode realized this, the more he shut Richard out.

Still, despite of their drama, the knocking persisted.