Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ My Slave for All Time ❯ His Name is Bakura ( Chapter 24 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

—I, er, seemed to have miscalculated my timing. Not fully functioning, my brain seemed to have erased the fact that mid-term exams were coming at the end of February and around the time this update was due, I became swamped with essays, at least one big paper, and bullshit from a professor that I absolute hate and would like to push off a cliff.
 
—Shurley I received an e-mail from a reader who pitched me an interesting idea. After thinking about it, I realized this idea was really good and would give my story more of a plot that just counting down to Yugi's death date.
 
Chapter 24 - His Name is Bakura
 
There was a difference in the atmosphere at Domino High. Everyone patted Yami on the back for a job well-done in the championship game. Tea was dating a senior now and only gave Yami a blank stare when/if they passed each other in the hall. She still hung out with Tristan, Yugi and Joey at lunch, but in-between classes, she was with her new boyfriend.
 
Couple days passed and Yugi didn't act any different towards Yami. Yami, however, tried to avoid Yugi like the younger one was the plague. Yami stopped eating lunch with Yugi and company. He started eating either with his fellow soccer players or outside. One day, Yugi found Yami eating alone on the stadium benches.
 
“Yami-kun?”
 
Yami saw him and fidgeted in his seat, not responding. Yugi said, “You should…eat inside with the rest of us. Just because you and Tea aren't dating anymore doesn't mean…”
 
“I'd rather not.”
 
“Oh.” Yugi sat down beside him. “Is something wrong?”
 
Yami wadded up his sandwich wrapper and said, “Everything is wrong. It's best if we stay away from each other. Every time I'm with you, it just seems like my life turns upside down…literally.”
 
Yugi blushed slightly when he remembered how Yami took his virginity. “Yami-kun, I…”
 
“Just let me be, Yugi. I'm sorry.”
 
———————
 
Summer vacation was in two days. Homework was a thing of the past and next year Yugi and his friends would be juniors. This coming Saturday was the graduation ceremony for seniors. Tea was going, of course, to cheer for her new boyfriend, whom she had never introduced to her friends.
 
Yami saw Tea walking alone in the hallway. He closed his locker and was about to approach her, but a flock of his ex-girlfriends swooped in like hawks and flustered around Tea, congratulating her on the new man in her life and hurrying her out of Yami's sight.
 
“Damn bitches…” Yami growled under his breath. He turned the corner and saw Yugi talking to a pale boy with snow white hair and big brown eyes. They smiled and laughed at a joke Yugi had apparently told and then the white-haired boy gave Yugi a slip of paper.
 
Yami walked over and Yugi said, “Uh, hi Yami-kun. Bakura-san, this is Yami Kotara.”
 
“Oh the soccer captain! Hello.” said the boy in a British accent. “Good show at the championship game. Everyone's talking about it. I'm sorry I didn't go. I was terribly sick.”
 
“Sorry to hear that. What class are you from?”
 
“I transferred here about three months ago. I'm in Class D. I recently got up the nerve to talk to Yugi. Are…you two, uh…”
 
“We're friends.”
 
“Acquaintances…nothing more.”
 
“Oh good. Well, Yugi, I…hope you'll call me. I've got to run. I'm volunteering in an after-school program at the local elementary school.” Bakura said. “Nice meeting you, Yami.”
 
Bakura waved as he walked down the hall and out of sight around a distant corner. Yami glanced over Yugi's shoulder at the slip of paper. On it was a phone number and `Bakura' written below the number.
 
“He seems nice.” Yugi said. “He's gay like me. And he's kind of cute…”
 
“So…ask him out then.”
 
Yugi looked at him. “I thought we weren't going to associate anymore.”
 
Yami frowned a little. “Never mind.” He turned and left. Why did I suddenly become interested when this guy was talking to Yugi? God, I hope I'm not going crazy again.
 
———————
 
Bakura sat in his uncle's armchair next to the phone, waiting for it to ring. His uncle walked in, leaning on a gray cane that was as bent and old as the man using it. He smacked Bakura upside his head and the boy leapt from the chair and sat next to the old TV set that only had twelve channels.
 
“What are you doing, Bakura?”
 
“I'm waiting for this cute boy to call me. His name is Yugi. I've had…a crush on him since I transferred to Domino High.”
 
“Ah yes. Glad to see you found someone to make you happy, little lady.”
 
Bakura rolled his eyes. His uncle was so senile that he thought Bakura was a girl. “I'm a boy, uncle.”
 
“Whatever…”
 
The phone rang and Bakura leapt at it like a wild cat. But fell on the floor when his uncle had grabbed it first. “Hello? Hello! Speak up, dammit!” The old man paused and said, “Here, Bakura. It's your boyfriend.”
 
Bakura grabbed the phone and walked into the kitchen. “Hello? Yugi?”
 
“Hi Bakura. Was that your uncle?”
 
“Yes. Sorry he swore at you. He's a bit…odd sometimes. But he's a good man.”
 
“Yeah. My grandpa's the same way.”
 
Bakura laughed. “So…uh, how are you?”
 
“Fine. And you?”
 
The conversation went on for almost three hours. Bakura loved every minute. He had always admired Yugi from afar, but never had the courage to walk up and introduce himself. Now that they were getting to know each other, Bakura hoped they would take the relationship further.
 
“So…Yugi…I was wondering if you were doing anything this weekend? We could…hang out and stuff?”
 
“Well, my mom wants me to get a part-time job this summer while she helps my grandpa with his game shop…”
 
“I work at a video rental store. We'll be hiring this summer. I can tell you more Saturday, say…Burger World at 2 o'clock.”
 
“Sounds great, Bakura. I'll meet you there.”
 
“Great…well, I'd better go. Good-bye.”
 
———————
 
As soon as Yugi hung up with Bakura, his phone rang again. When he picked it up, it was Yami on the other line. “Yami-kun…why are you—”
 
“Did Bakura call you?”
 
“Uh, well, I called him. Why do you ask?”
 
A pause and then Yami said, “Well, I…think it's great that you found another gay man.”
 
“You do?” Yugi laughed. “I thought you were jealous.”
 
“I'm not gay. What happened that day was a mistake…”
 
Yugi's face fell. “Oh. I guess so. Well, bye.” He hung up and waited for a minute. Yami didn't call back. Yugi sighed heavily. There was no doubt Yami was struggling deep inside. “He is just…so stubborn.” But maybe this was Yugi's chance. Maybe…if he dated Bakura, then Yami would go nuts and finally admit his love for Yugi!
 
Yugi fell over on his bed. “But using Bakura like that…it doesn't seem right.” He looked at the hourglass tattoo. But he was using Bakura to save his own life. No, that sounded so wrong. “Maybe I could just…date him and when Yami confesses his love to me, then I'll politely and gently dump Bakura and be with Yami forever.” Yugi smacked his palm to his forehead.
 
Either way he looked at it, he was using Bakura as a tool to light Yami's fuse. And either way…Bakura's feelings were bound to get hurt.
 
—Okay…I'm off this whole week, except for a small dose of French 102 homework, but that's easy. (I'm actually passing that class.) But I don't know what all will happen this week. I do have classes to pass and a wedding to plan. So, I can't give you an exact date when I'll have a new chapter.
 
—The next update will either be some time this week or close to the middle of next week. Again, I am so very sorry about not updating when I promised. I'll try harder in the future. That I can promise.