Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ One Way Street ❯ Chapter9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

One Way Street

by Dragondreamer and Yami Dragon

Disclaimer: We don't own Yu-Gi-Oh! DUH! If we did, the show wouldn't be fit for kids, that's for sure!

Warning: This story contains shouenen-ai (guy/guy relationships) and yaoi (guys having sex with guys). It also contains coarse language and violence. If you don't like it, or become offended by such things, what are you doing here? Haven't you figured out by now that all our writing contains this stuff?

WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS EXPLICIT YAOI (MALE/MALE SEX)! IF YOU GET OFFENDED BY THIS JUST LEAVE! GO ON, SHOO!!

Note: /…/ Tristan's thoughts

[…] Seto's thoughts

~*~*~*~*~

YD: *looks at DD* I think we're doing a pretty good job at driving Tris insane.

DD: Definitely.

Tristan: And here I thought you guys loved me.

DD: But we do! That's why we're torturing you.

Seto: You're both insane.

YD: *smirks* Thank you.

DD: You know, for a guy with as many smarts as you have, you're pretty good at stating the obvious.

Seto: Bite me.

YD: *whips out trusty handcuffs*

Seto: EEPP!

~*~*~*~*~

Tristan settled more comfortably on the ground next to his brother's grave and wiped the tears from his eyes. He had no idea how long he had knelt there crying, but it didn't matter. It always went like this. He'd come here and lose track of time. But before he had always had Joey there to keep him grounded. To bring him back to reality.

He set the bear down next to the headstone and was just sitting back when another hand came into his field of vision. It was holding a small Kuriboh figurine. As the toy was set down next to the bear, he felt a familiar arm go around his shoulders.

Tristan looked up into tear filled amber eyes. "You came."

Joey nodded, putting his other arm around Tristan and pulling him into a hug. "I couldn't not come, buddy. You need me. Besides, Michael was like a brother to me too."

"I'm glad you're here, Joey." Tristan hugged Joey tightly, feeling the tears starting again.

"I'm sorry, Tristan. I've been such a jerk." Joey mumbled, his face red with embarrassment.

Tristan untangled himself, sitting back and wiping his eyes. "What made you change your mind?"

Joey struggled with himself for a minute before deciding he owed Tristan an honest answer. "I don't know if I have changed my mind. It's…well…I'm still having a hard time with it."

"Well," Tristan gave a watery chuckle. "You just hugged me and you didn't drop dead of AIDS or anything."

Joey stared at him in shock for a full minute before bursting out laughing. He threw his arm back over Tristan's shoulders and gave him a squeeze.

"Let's just say I got a little sense scared into me."

"Let me guess…Bakura."

"You know about Bakura?" Joey looked questioningly at the brunet. "Umm…you guys haven't….you know."

Tristan shook his head with a grin. "I'm gay, not stupid."

Joey snickered. "But…why Kaiba, of all people?"

"I love him, Joey." Tristan said quietly.

"Really?" The look on the blond's face clearly said there was no way anyone sane could love Seto Kaiba.

"So much it hurts. I can't imagine being without him."

"But…he's such an ass. And he's so cold. I can't…I just never thought he was capable of it."

"He's not cold with me, Joey. And you've seen him with Mokuba. It's just a front, a way to keep people at arms length. He's had such a hard life. I think he does that so he won't be hurt."

"I just don't know if I can…there's so much bad blood between us. I don't think we'll ever be able to see eye to eye."

"Give it time. He's just starting to come out of his shell." Tristan smiled. "I even managed to get him to play basketball with the gang yesterday. We put him and Yami on the same team and they didn't kill each other."

Joey looked away, not wanting Tristan to see the guilt on his face. "Well, maybe there's hope then, huh?"

"Will you try, Joey?"

"Sure, buddy. I'll try…for you."

~*~*~*~*~

Seto kept his eyes shut as his thoughts slowly reassembled themselves. He vaguely remembered coming back last night, but the last thing he remembered clearly was making love to Tristan.

Feeling his body respond to the memory, he reached across the bed for his lover. And came up empty handed.

"Tristan?" Seto called, forcing his eyes open.

There was a knock at the door and Mokuba stuck his head in. Seeing his brother alone, he kicked open the door and walked in, a tray bearing coffee and breakfast in his hands.

"Where's Tristan?" The younger Kaiba frowned, obviously disappointed. "I made him a birthday breakfast."

"Oh shit." Seto sat up, rubbing his eyes. "Mokuba, we need to find him."

The raven haired boy looked at his brother quizzically, not understanding.

"Yugi told me that he gets really depressed on his birthday." Seto explained. "He wouldn't tell me why, but he said we shouldn't leave him alone today."

"Then we'd better find him." Mokuba turned to leave. "Maybe he just went outside or something. I'll check."

The minute Mokuba was gone from the room; Seto jumped up and quickly pulled on some clothes. He headed to his home office, thinking maybe Tristan was there using the computer. No luck.

He continued his search, stopping his staff to ask if they had seen the other teen. No one had, and Seto was starting to get worried when Mokuba came flying in from the kitchen.

"His bike's gone, Seto!" Mokuba leaned over, hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. "The guard at the gate said he left really early."

Seto turned on his heel and headed for the garage, Mokuba running to keep up. Inside, he grabbed his helmet and the keys to the Harley.

"You're not going without me, big brother." Mokuba put on his own helmet. "Maybe he went to his house."

[It gives us a place to start.] Seto fired up the bike, making sure Mokuba was securely seated before pulling from the garage. [If he's not there, I'll call his friends.]

Keeping in mind that his brother was with him, Seto turned the bike on to the street and headed towards Tristan's house.

Just a few blocks from Tristan's house, Mokuba tugged on Seto's jacket. Seto leaned back slightly and heard Mokuba say something about a bike. He pulled over and turned to his brother.

"Back there. On the side road by the cemetery. I think it was Tristan's bike!"

Seto turned the bike around and drove down the road Mokuba indicated. Sure enough, Tristan's motorcycle was parked in front of the gate. He pulled up behind it and quickly shut off his Harley, pulling off his helmet. Mokuba was already off the bike and running for the gate.

"Mokuba, wait." Seto hurried to catch up with him. "Stay with me."

"Why do you think he came here, Seto?" Mokuba asked, trying to keep up with his sibling's long strides.

"I don't know."

The two brothers made their way through the cemetery, searching among the monuments. Turning a corner past a particularly large one, they found what they were looking for…and then some.

Seto stopped several feet away. Tristan was sitting on the ground in front of a small gravestone, his back to him, idly tracing the engraving on the stone with his fingers. And the mutt was sitting next to him.

Mokuba slipped his hand into Seto's, looking up at him with huge eyes. "Big brother?"

Joey head snapped around at the sound of the boy's voice, but Tristan didn't react. Joey rose to his feet, scowling at Seto.

"What are you doing here?" He growled, closing the distance between them.

Seto stared icily at him. "I thought I told you to stay away from him, mutt."

"You don't own him, Kaiba."

"Guys, please." Mokuba pleaded. "Joey, what's going on?"

The blond looked over his shoulder at Tristan, who didn't seem to notice the confrontation. He seemed to be lost in his own little world.

Joey sighed. "He didn't tell you, huh?"

"Brilliant observation, Wheeler." Seto bit out. "Why don't you tell us?"

"Seto, stop." Mokuba tugged on his hand. "We came here to find Tristan, not fight with Joey."

"Amante? Mokuba?" Tristan had partially turned around and was looking surprised to see them there.

Mokuba broke away from his brother and went to Tristan, kneeling next to him and taking his hand. "Tristan? Why did you leave?"

Joey crouched down next to the shorter brunet, laying a hand on his shoulder. "I'll leave you with them, buddy. Are we still meeting as usual?"

"Yeah." Tristan looked up at his friend. "Joey? Could you call the others? I don't think I want to be alone today."

"Sure thing." Joey gave him one last grin, standing. "I'll see you there."

Seto growled under his breath as Joey passed him, purposely knocking into him. He waited until the blond was out of sight before approaching Tristan, sitting next to him.

Tristan turned a tear streaked face towards him and Seto put his arm around his lover. "Tell me?"

Not really trusting his voice, Tristan gestured towards the headstone. Seto's eyes widened as he read the etchings. Taking in the dates, he realized that this child was born the same year as Mokuba and had died four years ago. There were only years, not days or months.

"Was he related to you, Tristan?" Mokuba asked, not really getting it.

Tristan nodded, the tears coming faster.

Seto turned, pulling Tristan into his arms, holding him tightly. "He was your brother, wasn't he, love?"

"Yes." Tristan voice was muffled by Seto's shirt and the tears that he wasn't able to control.

"Tristan!" Mokuba squirmed in between the two teens, getting as close to Tristan as he could. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"I couldn't." Tristan moved away from Seto slightly so he could put his arms around Mokuba and bury his face in the shaggy black hair.

"How did he die?" Seto asked quietly.

"Brain tumor." Tristan mumbled. "He would have been just a few months younger than Mokuba."

"That's why you've been…well…" Mokuba trailed off, not wanting to upset Tristan further.

"I'm sorry, kiddo."

"It's okay. But if you had of told me, I wouldn't have been such a jerk about it."

Tristan just shook his head and hugged Mokuba tighter. "I still can't believe he's gone. He was such a great kid."

"He's been gone for four years, huh?" Mokuba asked.

"Yeah. Four years today."

"He…he died on your birthday?!"

"Tristan," Seto reached out and wiped the tears from the other's face. "Why aren't your parents here? Why would they leave town when you need them the most?"

"They've never been able to deal with it. They sent me to Italy last year hoping it'd help…but when I came back…everything fell apart."

"What do you mean?"

"I told them…about Brad. Mom freaked and started crying. And Dad…" Tristan shuddered. "Dad yelled at me. Called me a pervert. He said he wished that I had died instead of Michael."

"What?!" Mokuba's eyes were almost black with his anger. "Just because you're gay?! That doesn't make any sense!"

"They hate me for it." Tristan whispered. "They barely tolerate me. I think they're just waiting until I turn eighteen next year to kick me out of the house."

"Then beat them to the punch." Seto's voice was cold. He was barely able to restrain his anger at the thoughtlessness of Tristan's parents. "Leave now."

"But…but where would I go?"

Mokuba gave Tristan a playful slap in the head. "You'd live with us, bonehead."

"Really?" Tristan searched Seto's eyes. "You really want me to live with you?"

Seto leaned forward, giving his brother a little shove to move him out of the way, and kissed Tristan gently. "Yes."

That simple word brought Tristan out of his week's long gloom. /Live with Seto…gods! To be with him every day. Not just for the summer. To be able to spend time with Mokuba…/

Tristan pulled Seto closer with one arm and tightened the other around Mokuba. "Thank you. Both of you. You don't know what this means to me."

"As much as it means to us." Seto said, kissing him again. "Now, you told the mutt…I mean Joey, that you were meeting him?"

Tristan smiled. "Amante, you've gotta try harder with him. It would mean a lot to me if you would."

Seto rolled his eyes. "I'll try. But I'm not promising anything!"

Tristan chuckled, lifting Mokuba from his lap and standing, offering his hand to Seto. "Joey and I usually meet for lunch and then just hang out for the rest of the day. I kinda wanted everyone else there this time. You'll come, won't you?"

"Anything you want, love." Seto said, sounding like he had been handed a death sentence, as Tristan pulled him up.

"It'll be good practice for you, big brother." Mokuba smiled mischievously.

Seto grumbled to himself as he took Tristan's hand. "Fine. But I'm going home to shower first. Dragged me out of bed…haven't even had a coffee…"

Tristan and Mokuba grinned at each other as Seto continued muttering to himself.

~*~*~*~*~

"Shouldn't we park them in the garage?" Tristan asked, lifting Mokuba from the back of his motorcycle.

Seto pulled off his helmet and shook his head. "Someone else can take them. If I don't get a shower and some caffeine, someone's going to get hurt."

"Yeah." Mokuba grinned. "Don't get between Seto and his morning coffee."

Seto took a swat at his brother as the raven haired boy ran giggling towards the mansion. He turned to Tristan, taking his hand and leading him inside.

Mokuba was already half way to the kitchen when they closed the door behind them.

"Hungry, love?"

"Not really." Tristan replied. "You go on."

"I'm just going to grab a coffee."

Tristan nodded and headed upstairs. Reaching Seto's bedroom, he closed the door and sat on the edge of the bed.

/Well, Michael. It's been four years. I really miss you, little buddy. I wish you were here now. You and Mokuba would have gotten along so well. You're so much alike. And I know Seto would have spoiled you as much as he does Mokuba./ Tristan didn't notice the tears starting again as he continued to "talk" to his brother. /Things have been so different since you've been gone. Mom and Dad aren't the same. And Joey really misses you too. I remember how he used to carry you around on his shoulders when you got too weak to walk. He loved you just as much as me./

Tristan didn't hear the door open, admitting Seto, a large cup of coffee in his hand. He saw Tristan sitting on the bed, eyes glazed and tears running down his face. He quietly crossed the room, setting down his cup and kneeling on the floor in front of the other brunet.

"Tristan?" Seto reached up and cupped his face in his hands, wiping away the tears with his thumbs. "You okay, love?"

Tristan's gaze cleared and he nodded slightly. "I really miss him, Seto."

"I can only imagine what you're going through." Seto slipped his arms around Tristan's waist and leaned his head against his chest. "I don't know what I'd do if I lost Mokuba. If it was me, I think I would have ended it. It's to your credit that you're still here."

"You can thank Yami for that." Tristan buried his face in Seto's hair, sighing.

Seto pulled away, looking up questioningly. "Yami?"

Tristan looked away, avoiding the curious azure eyes. "About four months ago…I couldn't handle it anymore…I had no control over anything. I'd lost my brother, Brad disappeared, my parents weren't speaking to me. The worst thing was…I didn't feel like I could tell anyone. I was going to…you know. Yami talked me out of it."

"But why did you think you couldn't talk to anyone. I mean…your friends would do anything for you."

"Who was I supposed to trust? Joey? You saw how he reacted."

"That's a problem for you, isn't it?"

"What?"

"Trust." Seto looked at Tristan seriously. "That why you were so tense at first last night, wasn't it? You don't trust me."

"Amante," Tristan reached out to him pleadingly. "I love you."

"I know that." Seto took his hands. "But you don't really trust me."

"I…I want to." Tristan looked away again.

Seto stood, pulling Tristan up and gathering him into his arms. "I understand, love. Really, I do. For the longest time, the only person I trusted was my brother…then you came along. I trust you, Tristan. And I'll teach you to trust me."

"I'm sorry, amante." Tristan clung to his lover.

"No, don't be." Seto tipped Tristan's face up and kissed him.

Tristan responded somewhat desperately, plunging his tongue into Seto's mouth. Seto didn't fight it, knowing the other needed the release.

Tristan pulled away with something akin to a whimper and buried his face in Seto's neck. "I love you, Seto. I love you."

"Hey. Look at me." Seto untangled himself from Tristan's grip and set him at arm's length. "Stop. This isn't helping. I don't want you feeling guilty over something you can't help. We'll deal with it, okay?"

Tristan nodded and leaned forward to capture Seto's lips in a brief kiss. "You wanted to get a shower before we went out."

Seto stepped away, extending his hand. "Why don't you join me?"

Tristan gave him a shaky smile and took his hand, allowing himself to be led into the bathroom.

Once there, Seto quickly shed his clothes, turning on all three showerheads of the huge shower and setting the temperature. He looked back over his shoulder as he stepped in, seeing Tristan standing there, fully clothed, with a far away look on his face.

"Tristan?"

"Huh?" Tristan snapped out of his daze. "Oh, sorry."

Seto shook his head, stepping into the spray and waiting for Tristan to join him. When he did, Seto pulled him into his arms and just held him, feeling Tristan relax as his arms went around his waist and he leaned his head against the taller teen's shoulder with a sigh.

[Gods! I've never seen someone on such an emotional rollercoaster before. These mood swings are going to wear him out. The day's not half over and he already looks ready to drop.]

"This is nice." Tristan whispered, breaking Seto from his thoughts.

"Very nice." Seto agreed, shifting back as Tristan looked up, pressing a soft kiss to his lips.

It was supposed to be chaste, to comfort him, but suddenly a spark was lit and they were devouring each other, hands roaming frantically and bodies pounding with need.

"Amante..." Tristan gasped, pulling away. "I…oh gods!"

"Shut up." Seto growled, yanking the shorter brunet against him, kissing him hungrily.

Tristan moaned, pressing himself as close to Seto as he could get. They finally broke apart, stepping away from each other, breathing raggedly, eyes wide as they tried to control the fire raging in their blood.

"What…I don't…" Tristan stammered, trying to make sense of what was happening.

Seto shook his head. [Mood swings aside…this is insane. Unless…unless this is a result of all the stress he's been under the last week.] He decided to go with it. Not as though at this point he'd be able to do much else.

"Come here." Seto reached out and pulled Tristan to him again. "Love me, Tristan. I want you. Now."

Tristan shuddered, Seto's husky words straining his already over-taxed emotions. He moved behind his lover, leaning against the shower wall and pulling Seto back against his chest. Seto's head dropped back onto the other's broad shoulder as Tristan began to caress his lean chest, teasing the nipples there to small, hard nubs. His hands traveled down, fingers splayed, to ghost over Seto's hips, causing the taller brunet to writhe and moan.

"Tristan…please, love…touch me." Seto pleaded. "I need you to touch me."

Tristan complied, wrapping long fingers around his lover's pulsing arousal, stroking him hard. Seto hissed with pleasure as he felt Tristan reach between them with his other hand and slip a finger into him. A second finger was added and Seto lost control, crying out as he toppled over the edge.

He felt himself being lowered to the warm tile and his eyes fluttered open to find himself in Tristan's lap, still leaning back against his chest. He tipped his head back further and Tristan claimed his lips in a hot kiss, his whole body trembling with need.

"Amante…" Tristan whispered against the other's lips. "Please…"

Seto lifted himself, moving back and letting Tristan guide him with his hands on his hips. He groaned deeply as he felt Tristan penetrate him, the pleasure over-riding the pain.

"Tristan…yes…"

"Gods, amante. You feel so good."

Seto braced his hands against the floor on either side of Tristan and began to move, tearing a moan from the shorter teen. The pace was slow and decisive until Tristan began thrusting up against Seto, needing it faster, harder.

Seto whimpered as Tristan began to stroke his renewed arousal in time to their thrusts. He slammed down on Tristan, wanting to feel him climax, needing his own.

Tristan wrapped his other arm around Seto's waist, bringing him closer as he felt the edge approaching. A passion laced cry echoed through the room as his release slammed into him, leaving him weak.

Seto did nothing more than sigh deeply as the tension in his body crested and broke. His hands came up to gently grasp the arms encircling him and he settled back comfortably against his lover.

"Damn." Tristan whispered more to himself than Seto, his head dropping back against the tile with a soft thump.

"Really." Seto replied.

"Get up. My legs are falling asleep."

Seto smiled, getting up slowly and reaching down to pull Tristan up. Tristan cuddled up against him, kissing his neck.

The taller of the two soaped up a washcloth and proceed to wash the evidence of their passion from his love's body. Stifling a yawn, Tristan returned the favor.

"Tired?"

"Mmm…" This time a yawn did slip out, making his jaw pop.

"Maybe you should take a nap."

"Can't. We've got to meet Joey and the others. I'll be fine."

"Okay." Seto agreed, turning off the shower. "But you get an early night."

"Sounds good." Tristan stepped from the shower, grabbing a towel and tossing one to Seto. "We'd better get moving."

~*~*~*~*~

Joey flushed as Bakura winked at him from across the table, licking his lips.

"Oh, knock it off." Kendra smacked Bakura on the back of the head. "Leave him alone already."

The part of Joey that wasn't mortified that Bakura had told everyone about their little "talk" was amazed that Bakura folded his hands on the table and promptly turned his attention to Ryou.

The tomb robber definitely had a soft spot for his light's girlfriend. What none of their friends realized was it was because Kendra wasn't afraid him, psychopathic spirit or not, and treated him with a mixture of affection and fearlessness of his demented side. She understood that he was the polar opposite of Ryou and accepted him for it.

Hearing the roar of a powerful engine, Joey scowled seeing a familiar silver Lamborghini pull up in front of the café where they were all waiting for Tristan. The doors flipped up and Seto Kaiba unfolded himself from behind the wheel, turning to help his brother out of the back seat.

"Joey." Yugi's voice was stern. "Stop growling."

Joey rolled his eyes at his small friend as Seto and Tristan came in, holding hands, with Mokuba trailing behind.

"Hi guys." Tristan greeted them, wisely sitting himself between Joey and Seto.

Mokuba sat on the other side of Ryou, smiling shyly at Kendra. The girl smiled back, bringing a blush to the grey eyed boy's cheeks.

"Better watch out, hikari," Bakura commented. "Mokuba's looking to steal your girl."

"Bakura." Kendra shot him a look.

Bakura chuckled darkly, but it died in his throat when he caught Tristan glaring at him. He had promised Ryou he wouldn't piss Tristan off. Ryou mentally slapped him, giving him a look so like his girlfriend's it was scary.

Luckily, the waitress came over just then to take their drink orders.

Seto sat throughout lunch, sipping his coffee and listening to the inane chatter of Tristan's friends. He just couldn't bring himself to join the conversation, though Mokuba seemed to be enjoying himself.

Tristan was basically quiet, speaking when spoken to, but otherwise staying silent.

Seto draped an arm over Tristan's shoulders, leaning over to press a kiss to his temple. He caught Joey giving him a dirty look and gave him the finger behind Tristan's head.

Yami burst out laughing, seeing the exchange.

"What?" Yugi looked up at his dark from his place in his lap.

"Oh, nothing, Aibou." Yami smirked at Seto, who returned it.

Yugi looked skeptically at Yami for a moment before turning to Tristan. "Anything you want to do this afternoon, Tristan?"

"I dunno." Tristan shrugged. "We could go over to the park."

"Yeah!" Mokuba chimed in. "That would be fun!"

Seto discreetly handed his credit card to the passing waitress. When she brought it back for him to sign, Joey grumbled something that sounded remarkably like "asshole". Seto just ignored the blond.

"I've got it." He said quietly, seeing Ryou reaching for his wallet.

"Thank you, Kaiba." Kendra smiled warmly at the CEO.

"Yeah, thanks!" Yugi almost laughed at the dumbfounded looks on Yami and Bakura's faces.

"No problem." Seto stood up. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah. Let's go!" Mokuba bounced from his chair, beating Yugi to the door.

When they got to the park across the street, Joey, Yugi, Mokuba and Ryou headed for the swings. Mokuba called out to Bakura to come push him and it was all Seto could do not to protest.

"It's okay, amante." Tristan said as the rest of them settled on the grass a few feet away. "Bakura's actually pretty good with kids."

Yami gave an indelicate snort, rolling his eyes.

"Oh, come on, Yami." Kendra poked him in the ribs playfully. "You're just jealous."

"Right. If he touches my light, I'm sending him back to the Shadow Realm."

Seto turned to Tristan as Yami continued bitching about Bakura's many faults. "Is he always like this?"

"Nah." Tristan slipped an arm around Seto's waist, leaning into him. "Just most of the time."

Seto shook his head and decided to change the subject. "I have something for you."

Tristan looked at his lover quizzically as Seto reached into his coat pocket and drew out a silver chain. Hanging from it was a Blue Eyes White Dragon with a sapphire chip for an eye.

Tristan was speechless as Seto turned and put it around his neck.

Fastening the clasp, he kissed the back of Tristan's neck and smiled at him. "Happy birthday, love."

Tristan reached up to touch it where it hung just below the hollow of his throat. He forgot where they were and the fact that his friends were sitting next to them as he threw his arms around Seto's neck and kissed him deeply.

Kendra and Yami smiled at each other, turning their attention away from the lovers.

"It's beautiful. I love it." Tristan said, breaking the kiss. "Thank you."

Seto was about to kiss him again when they were interrupted by Mokuba's deplorable lack of timing.

"Tristan! Hey, Tristan! C'mere!"

Tristan smiled at Seto's scowl and rose, heading over to the swings. Kendra got up as well and went with him, admiring the pendant hanging around his neck.

Seto watched as his lover took over pushing Mokuba while Kendra and Bakura engaged in a heated discussion that left Ryou blushing and stammering.

Finding himself alone with the diminutive Pharaoh, something Tristan had said earlier came to Seto's thoughts.

"Yami, I need to ask you something."

"Of course." Yami turned his probing garnet eyes on the CEO.

"Tristan told me earlier that you talked him out of…" Seto paused, not wanting to say it.

"Ah, yes. I talked him out of killing himself."

Seto winced at the blunt words. "What happened?"

"He felt that his life was out of control." Yami replied. "He was heartbroken over this…Brad's…disappearance. When he went to his parents for comfort, they reacted badly, to say the least. And to top it off, he was still struggling with his brother's death. I simply showed him that there was something worth living for."

"And what was that?"

"You."

"Me?!" Seto was shocked. "I don't understand."

Yami shrugged. "He realized he was attracted to you. I convinced him that there was always hope you would return his feelings."

"I do. But…"

"There's something else is bothering you, isn't there, Kaiba."

Seto forced himself to swallow his pride. He needed to know what was behind Tristan's trust issues. "He doesn't trust me."

"He doesn't trust anyone, really. Don't take it personally." Yami cocked his head to the side, locking gazes with his rival. "Put yourself in his shoes."

"What do you mean?"

"His parents sent him to Italy to, in his mind, rid themselves of him. That's where he met Brad. He gave his heart and his body to this man…and he disappeared without a word. When he came home, his parents rejected him because of his sexuality. And Joey's reaction didn't help either. Wouldn't you have a hard time trusting anyone after all that?"

Seto reply was drowned out by a shout from Tristan.

"Oh yeah?!"

"Yeah!" Joey was in Tristan's face, shouting back.

"We'll see about that!" Tristan grabbed Mokuba and put him up on his shoulders.

"Got that right!" Joey picked up Yugi and did the same.

Yugi and Mokuba laughed and started grappling with each other while Tristan and Joey stood toe to toe, insults flying.

Having witnessed their odd behavior before, Seto turned his attention back to Yami. "You trust the mutt with Yugi like that?"

"As much as you trust Tristan with Mokuba." Yami smiled.

Seto raised an eyebrow at what the spirit of the Puzzle wasn't saying and looked back to where his lover was playing with his little brother. He frowned, trying to sort out what Yami had told him in the context of what he could do with the information.

He needed to think about it.

~*~*~*~*~

Seto: Tristan's going bipolar.

YD: *evil grin*

Tristan: This isn't fair!

DD: Oh, we're not done with you yet.

YD: Not by a long shot.

DD: Please review folks!

Seto: They're going to try to update next week, but they may not be able to.

DD: But we'll try really hard.

YD: Promise.