Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ One Way Street ❯ chapter13 ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

One Way Street

by Dragondreamer and Yami Dragon

Disclaimer: We don't own Yu-Gi-Oh! DUH! If we did, the show wouldn't be fit for kids, that's for sure!

Warning: This story contains shouenen-ai (guy/guy relationships) and yaoi (guys having sex with guys). It also contains coarse language and violence. If you don't like it, or become offended by such things, what are you doing here? Haven't you figured out by now that all our writing contains this stuff?

Note: /…/ Tristan's thoughts

[…] Seto's thoughts

~*~*~*~*~

DD: Hey! Guess what?!

Tristan: You've decided to stop writing this story?

YD: As if. It's our most read story so far!

Seto: *grumbles*

DD: ANYway…MJ, our bestest buddy who's co-writing You Can't Destroy Evil, just posted the first chapter of her very first fic! It's called Noboy Lives Happily Ever After.

YD: Yeah, and boy is she EVER gonna mess with you! *points at Joey*

DD: And you! *points at Tristan*

YD: But especially YOU! *points at Seto*

Joey: Great! That's all I need!

DD: So, please read her story and leave her some reviews.

YD: And don't flame her. Or you'll face the wrath of the Almighty Rubber Chicken!

Everyone: ALL HAIL THE RUBBER CHICKEN!!

~*~*~*~*~

"Seto!"

Seto looked up from the bottom of the stairs to see Mokuba standing there, his face streaked with tears. He barely caught the small form as his brother flew down the stairs and into his arms.

"What happened, Seto? What happened to Tristan?"

Seto sat on the bottom step, settling his brother in his lap. "He's been hurt, Mokuba."

"I know that!" The younger Kaiba's breath hitched as he laid his head on his brother's shoulder. "I heard voices in the room next to yours and when I looked in, I saw Tristan…and Joey…with Dr. Cray. They made me leave. What happened?"

"He was beaten up."

"By who?!"

"Someone he knew a while ago."

"Did he hurt him bad?"

Seto couldn't control the tears that began to flow down his face. "Yes."

"Is he going to be okay?" Mokuba asked, looking up. "Big brother? Why are you crying?"

Seto shook his head. "I'm sure he'll be fine."

"You're lying to me again. I can tell." The raven haired boy put his arms around his brother. "Tell me what happened, Seto."

"Mokuba, you should be in bed."

"I'm not going to bed until you tell me what happened to Tristan!" Mokuba replied indignantly. "I have a right to know, Seto. I love him too."

"I know you do." Seto hugged the boy tightly, burying his face in the shaggy hair. "That's why it's hard for me to tell you."

"Just tell me. I'm going to find out sooner or later. I'd rather hear it from you. Was he mugged? Shot? What?"

"Raped." Seto didn't see the point in trying to keep it from him. He was right. He would find out, and Seto would rather he got the facts correct.

"WHAT?!" Mokuba's eyes were huge. "Seto! Why? Why would someone do that to Tristan?"

"I don't know, little brother. I don't know."

"He's going to be okay though, right?" Mokuba pleaded.

"I hope so." Seto broke then, sobbing into his brother's hair, clinging to him.

"He'll be alright, Seto." Mokuba tried to comfort his brother, suddenly feeling like the older one. "I know he will. Nothing can keep Tristan down for long. And we're here for him."

Seto tried desperately to pull himself together. Though he knew his brother was mature beyond his years, something like this was going to affect him. It had to. He had come to love Tristan as another brother. He should be the one comforting the boy, not the other way around.

"Seto?"

"I'm sorry." Seto pulled away, wiping his eyes. "He'll be fine, Mokuba."

"Big brother, you'd better change before you go see him. You have blood on you."

Seto looked down at his shirt. There was blood on it. Tristan's blood. His stomach churned.

"Come on." Mokuba stood and took Seto's hand. "Go to your room and change."

Seto let his brother lead him upstairs. When they arrived at his room, he grabbed some clothes and went into the bathroom. The tears started again as he scrubbed the blood from his hands and changed his stained clothes.

When he came out, he found Mokuba curled up in his bed.

"Can I stay here tonight, big brother?"

"Of course you can." Seto leaned down and kissed the boy on the forehead. "Try to get some sleep, okay?"

Mokuba nodded. "He's going to be alright, Seto. He has to be."

[I hope you're right, little brother.]

~*~*~*~*~

Seto opened the door, his eyes immediately going to Tristan.

He was lying on his back, either asleep or unconscious, Seto couldn't tell. The knife had been removed and there was a gauze bandage on his shoulder. What hurt Seto the most though, was his face. It was bruised and swollen, the dark markings so bad it didn't even look like Tristan.

Joey was lying next to him, looking pale. He had a bandage on the inside of his arm. Seto then noticed Tristan had one on the back of his good arm. He looked questioningly at the doctor.

"Wait for me in your office, Seto. I'll give you a full report."

Seto nodded and left the room, not able to return Joey's weak smile.

"How are you feeling, Joey?" Dr. Cray asked the blond.

"I'm okay. Just a little tired." Joey replied, sitting up slightly and propping himself up on some pillows. "Thanks for taking care of him, doc."

"I had better go talk to Seto. Will you be staying?"

"I'm not leaving him."

"That's good." Dr. Cray said as he turned toward the door. "There should be someone with him when he wakes up."

"Will do."

~*~*~*~*~

Dr. Cray sat down in a chair in front of Seto's desk and wearily rubbed his eyes. "He's a very lucky young man."

"You call that lucky?" Seto's voice was brittle.

"What I mean is, it could have been much worse. I wasn't able to get much out of him, but I understand that the man who did this was at least twice his size and strength."

"Go on."

"The knife was small, and didn't hit anything vital. However, there is some serious muscle damage. He's most likely going to need physiotherapy. His nose isn't broken, but the bruising to his stomach is bad. His…other injuries should heal fine. He's young, healthy and in extremely good shape. He has that going for him."

Seto remained silent, knowing the doctor wasn't through.

"It was very lucky that his friend, Joey, was with him. I would have had to move him to a hospital otherwise. He lost a lot of blood. Fortunately, Joey knew they had the same blood type so I was able to do a transfusion right here."

Dr. Cray stood. "I'll be happy to testify when the police catch the guy."

"It's been taken care of. The police won't be involving themselves."

An eyebrow was raised at that. "Very well. I'll be back tomorrow to see how he's doing. I'll show myself out. Call me if you need me."

"Thank you, Dr. Cray."

As the door shut behind the physician, Seto slumped back in his chair and covered his face with his hands. [Damn it, Bakura, you better have done your job. I'm beginning to regret not doing it myself.]

~*~*~*~*~

Ryou woke slowly, with the feeling something was wrong. He tried to reach out to Bakura through the link only to find it blocked.

"Yami?" The white haired boy stumbled out of bed, heading downstairs. "Bakura? Where are you?"

Gaining the kitchen, he saw a note stuck to the refrigerator and grabbed it, squinting to try to make out Bakura's scrawl.

Ryou,

I have to go away for a while.

There are some things I need to think about. Alone.

I don't know when I'll be back.

Call Kaiba. Tristan needs you.

Take care of Kendra.

Bakura

"Tristan needs me?" Ryou frowned. "But why call Kaiba if Tristan's the one who wants me?"

Ryou rubbed his eyes as he padded out to the living room, searching for the phone. His yami must have had a good reason to tell him to call Kaiba, so he would.

~*~*~*~*~

Tristan groaned as he opened his eyes. Or rather, he tried to. One of them wouldn't open.

"Tristan? Hey, buddy. How ya doin'?"

Tristan tried to focus on the familiar voice, but all he saw was a blur of gold. He blinked a few times and Joey's face swam into view.

"Joey?" He tried to reach out and pain shot through his shoulder, bringing with it the memories of the night before. "No! Oh, gods! He's coming back!"

Joey pinned Tristan down gently as he began to struggle. "Easy, buddy. It's okay. You're safe. You're safe."

"Tristan!" Seto joined Joey in his efforts to keep him from hurting himself. "He's not coming back, love. You're safe here."

Tristan tensed as he felt other hands on his body. He clung to Joey, shaking with fear. "Don't…don't touch me."

"Baby, it's me…it's Seto." Seto reached out to him again and Tristan clung to Joey tighter, trying to move away from the gentle touch.

"Tristan, what's wrong?" Joey cradled his friend against his chest. "Don't you want him here?"

Tristan shook his head frantically, his voice a pained whisper. "Please, Joey. Tell him to leave."

Joey looked over at Seto, whose expression was one of confused hurt. When he caught the sapphire eyes, he shook his head slightly.

Seto stood up from the bed and backed away. "Make sure he takes his painkillers, Joey." He spun on his heel and quickly left the room, but not before Joey had seen the tears in his eyes.

Closing the door behind him, Seto leaned against it. [What's going on? Why won't he let me near him?]

"Master Kaiba?"

Seto hastily wiped his eyes and straightened as he saw John coming up the hallway toward him. "John…you have a report for me?"

"Yes, sir." John stopped directly in front of his employer, taking in his haggard appearance in one swift glance. "Everything's been taken care of."

"And the body?"

"Body?" John raised an eyebrow. "There was no body, sir."

The color drained from Seto's face and he staggered. "What?!"

John caught him by the arm, holding him up. "We didn't find one."

"Oh, gods! He's supposed to be dead." Seto gripped John's arms tightly. "John, he's supposed to be dead!"

"Easy now, Master Kaiba. He couldn't have gotten far. Not after losing the amount of blood they cleaned up. We'll find him."

"I have to find Bakura." Seto turned away. "He's the only one who knows what happened."

"I'll post extra security around the mansion."

Seto didn't even hear the bodyguard as he ran down the hall to his office to call Ryou's house.

~*~*~*~*~

"Here, pal. Take these." Joey handed two pills and a glass of water to Tristan.

"What are they?"

"They're for the pain."

When Tristan was done, Joey took the empty glass and moved to set it on the dresser.

"Don't leave!"

Joey spun around, his eyes widening at the panic in Tristan's. "I'm not going to. I'm right here, Tristan."

Tristan laid his head in Joey's lap as he sat back down on the bed, wincing at the pain the movement caused. "Stay with me. Don't go. If he finds me, I won't be able to fight him."

"Tristan, he's not going to find you here." Joey gently rubbed the brunet's back. "Kaiba's got more security than Fort Knox."

"He said he was coming back for me."

"We won't let him near you. Kaiba'll make sure of that."

Tristan just dug his fingers into Joey's leg, shivering.

"Tristan, why wouldn't you let him touch you?"

"I can't. I can't deal…with that." Tristan's voice began to slur as the drugs took effect.

"But…he loves you. He only wants to help."

"Can't…hurts, Joey…hate me…" Tristan tumbled into unconsciousness once more, leaving behind a very confused blond.

~*~*~*~*~

Seto was just reaching for the phone; after looking up Ryou's phone number; when it rang, startling him.

Trying to shove his heart back into his chest, Seto grabbed the phone. "Kaiba."

:Hi, Kaiba. It's Ryou.:

"Ryou! I was just going to call you. I need to speak to Bakura."

:He's not here.:

"When's he getting back?"

:I don't know, really. He left me…:

"What do you mean, you don't know?! Can't you contact him through your mind link or something?!"

:No. He has me blocked. He left me a note and told me to call you. He said Tristan needed me for something. What's going on, Kaiba?:

Seto tried to control himself. He needed information and he knew he wouldn't get it if he lost his temper with the sensitive teen. "Where is he, Ryou?"

:I'm not sure. He does this sometimes. Just takes off. I never know when he's coming back.:

"Damn it." Seto muttered, clutching the phone so tightly his knuckles turned white.

:Kaiba? What's going on? Is Tristan alright?:

"No, Ryou. He's not." Seto struggled to keep the tears back. "He was…attacked last night."

:Oh, gods! Do the others know?:

"Joey's here. Other than that, no."

:I'll call the others and we'll be right over.: There was a pause on the other end of the line as if Ryou was contemplating whether he should continue or not. :Kaiba? Are YOU okay?:

Seto hung up the phone without answering.

~*~*~*~*~

Yami held tightly to Yugi's hand as they were led, along with Ryou and Kendra, through the long hallways of Kaiba's mansion.

Ryou's call had shocked them, especially considering he wasn't able to give them any details.

"Master Kaiba is waiting for you in here." The butler said, opening what seemed to the others to be a random door.

He ushered them inside, closing the door behind them.

It was the first time any of them had been in the room Seto turned over to his lover for his own personal space. It certainly reflected Tristan's personality. Basketball trophies, posters of NBA players, pictures of his friends and brother, a large bookcase stuffed with books of all kinds, and in the corner, a desk with a computer, papers strewn across the surface.

In the middle of the room was a single leather chair and a couch. Sitting on the couch, seemingly unaware of their enterance was Seto, staring at a picture encased in a silver frame.

"Kaiba?" Kendra sat down next to him, Ryou on her other side.

Seto looked up; locking gazes with Yami for a second as he sat in the chair and pulled Yugi down to sit in his lap.

"Thank you for coming over." Seto's voice was hoarse, as if he had been crying.

Kendra leaned over, looking at the picture in Seto's hands. It was Tristan, lying on the couch they were sitting on with Mokuba laying on his chest. They were both asleep.

"Cute picture." She commented.

"I took it a few weeks ago. I came home late from work and found them here. Mokuba wanted to wait up for me." A single tear hit the photo, running down the glass.

Kendra took it from him, setting it on the coffee table, and reached up and put her arms around Seto's neck. He stiffened momentarily before putting his own arms around the girl. The others waited quietly for the CEO to pull himself together.

"Thanks, Kendra." Seto pulled away.

The girl smiled. "You look like you needed it."

"What's wrong with Tristan?" Yugi burst out, unable to contain himself any longer.

"You said he was attacked." Ryou said quietly. "Can you tell us what happened?"

Seto sighed, running his hand through his hair, and began to tell them what happened to their friend the night before. Halfway though the story, Yugi began to cry, clinging to Yami. Ryou sat, tears sliding down his pale face, holding his girlfriend's hand. Kendra and Yami had looks on their faces that fell somewhere between sadness and anger. Both had tears in their eyes.

"He's in pretty rough shape." Seto finished. "Joey's been here with him all night."

"Who did it?" Yami asked.

"It was Brad Hawkes…"

"You mean the same Brad Bakura's been going out with?!" Ryou interrupted.

Seto nodded. "Tristan met him in Italy last year. They were lovers."

"Can we see him, Kaiba? Please?" Kendra asked.

"If he's awake. But I don't think you should all go in at once."

"Yugi and I will stay here." Yami said, trying to comfort his hikari. "Ryou, you and Kendra go ahead."

Yugi burrowed into Yami's chest as Seto led Ryou and Kendra from the room. "Do you think he's still alive, Yami?"

"Well, the Tomb Robber did promise Ryou he wouldn't kill anyone else. If he was smart," Yami rolled his eyes. "The bastard would be in the Shadow Realm. We just won't know until we can find the thief."

"If anyone can keep Tristan safe, it's Kaiba." Yugi sounded like he was trying to convince himself more than his other.

~*~*~*~*~

Tristan tried to keep from waking up. He didn't want to remember. In the waking world, there was pain, and fear, and he just didn't want to face it. He couldn't face Seto. How could Seto want him now?

He felt a familiar hand holding his and he squeezed it. "Joey?"

"I'm here, bud. How are ya feelin'?"

Tristan still couldn't get his right eye to open. "Hurts."

Joey picked his watch up from the bedside table. "Those painkillers shouldn't have worn off already."

Tristan tensed as he heard the door open. Turning his head, he saw Ryou and Kendra walk in, with Seto behind them.

Joey stood up, but couldn't move away. Tristan wouldn't let go of his hand. He was staring at Seto.

"Tristan?" Joey tried to tug his fingers free. "I have to talk to Kaiba."

Tristan reluctantly let go.

"Tristan, how are you?" Ryou sat down on the edge of the bed.

Kendra smacked her boyfriend, giving him a "that's a stupid question" look.

Tristan reached out and took Ryou's hand. "I've been better."

"Well, you look like shit." Kendra said, gently rubbing the back of his neck.

"Gee, thanks." Tristan tried to smile at her.

"You're welcome."

Seto stood by the door, watching Tristan holding Ryou's hand. [I don't get it.]

"Kaiba?"

"Huh?" Seto started a little and focused on Joey, who was standing next to him. "Sorry. What?"

"You need to call your doctor. The painkillers he left are wearing off too fast. I gave him two and they're worn off already."

"I'll…I'll call him now." Seto took a last look at Tristan, who had sat up a little with Kendra and Ryou's help and was leaning against Ryou, looking like he had fallen back to sleep.

Seto left, shutting the door behind him. [He doesn't trust me any more. Because of that son of a bitch, I've lost his trust. Damn it, Bakura! Where are you?!]

~*~*~*~*~

"Big brother?"

Seto looked up from staring at the top of his desk at the gentle tug on his sleeve.

"Big brother? When can I see Tristan?"

"I don't know, Mokuba." Seto pulled the boy into a hug. "He's really not well. I'm not sure he would want you to see him like that."

"Can you ask him? Please, Seto?"

"Okay. I'll ask." Seto drew back and ruffled the raven tresses. "It'll probably be tonight though. Yami and his friends are here now. That will probably tire him out. And Dr. Cray is coming over to see him too."

"Alright." Mokuba turned toward the door. "Maybe later. You'll ask him though, right?"

Seto nodded.

As his brother left, Seto resumed his contemplation of the oak surface of his desk. [I don't understand why he won't let me touch him. He's positively clinging to the mutt. I can see that, Joey's his best friend…but why Ryou? Kendra…okay…she's a girl…but why not me?]

His thoughts were interrupted by Joey poking his head in the door. "Did you call the doctor?"

"Yeah, he'll be over in about an hour. What's Tristan doing?"

"Talking to Ryou and Kendra." Joey came in and dropped down in a chair in front of the desk. "How are you doin'?"

"I'm fine."

"Don't lie to me, man. I was there, remember? I saw the look on your face when Tristan pulled away from you."

"Listen, mutt…"

"You called me Joey before, SETO. I think for Tristan's sake you should again. You're not getting rid of me until Tristan says so. So, get used to it."

Seto rolled his eyes. "Don't get your hackles up."

"Very fucking funny."

"Look, Joey…keep your concern for Tristan. Let me handle how I'm feeling myself."

"Keeping it bottled up ain't gonna help…"

"Joey, please. I can handle it."

"Whatever you say, Seto." Joey didn't look convinced. "Yami and Yugi are going in to see him. Wanna come?"

Seto stood up, sighing. "Sure."

Joey looked at him strangely, but led the way out of the office without commenting.

~*~*~*~*~

"Tristan?" Yugi came in through the door, Yami on his heels.

Tristan was sitting up, leaning against the headboard with Ryou sitting next to him. Kendra was sitting on a chair next to the bed.

Yugi and Yami came over to the bed and simultaneously reached out to him. Tristan pressed back against Ryou with a whimper of fear, clutching the white haired boy's hand.

Yami grabbed Yugi and pulled him back. "Tristan? What's wrong?"

"Don't." Tristan began to shake as Ryou arms came around him. "Stay away from me…please."

"But, Tristan…" Yugi eyes filled with tears. "What…what did we do?"

"No…don't come near me." Tristan turned so he could bury his face in Ryou's hair, his trembling growing worse.

This was the sight Seto and Joey were treated to as they walked into the room.

Seto was frozen with shock, while Joey made a bee line for the bed, gently pushing Yami out of the way and crawling over on Tristan's other side, putting his arms around him also.

"Tristan." Yami backed up a step. "I'm sorry if we startled you."

Tristan didn't answer. Sandwiched in between Ryou and Joey, he just clung to the two of them.

Seto came up to Yami, and took him by the arm. "I think you should leave for now. Both of you."

"But, Kaiba…I…" Yugi looked so hurt, standing there, his big, amethyst eyes glistening.

"Come, Aibou." Yami took his hand. "It's okay."

Yugi hung his head dejectedly as his dark led him from the room.

Seto went over to the bed, looking down at Tristan. "The doctor will be here soon."

Tristan glanced up at him through Ryou's hair. "P-please…go…I can't…"

"Tristan…love…" Seto reached out to touch him.

"Don't!" Tristan tried to pull from Joey and Ryou's grasp, hissing in pain.

"Easy, buddy." Joey tried to soothe him. "Careful now, you're going to pull out your stitches."

Ryou looked up at Seto, confused. Seto moved away, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Kaiba?" Kendra reached out a hand.

Seto turned and left the room without answering, tears clouding his vision as he went.

~*~*~*~*~

Seto had had to stay with Mokuba until the boy fell asleep.

He had barged into Tristan's room shortly after dinner, not able to take the fact that it had been three days since they had brought Tristan home and he still hadn't seen him.

The younger Kaiba had burst into tears at the sight of his brother's boyfriend.

Tristan had spoken to him, trying to reassure him he would be alright, but Mokuba had just continued to cry until Joey led him from the room. He had spent the rest of the evening in his room, curled up in his brother's arms, unable to stop the tears.

It was late when he returned to find Tristan asleep, his head lying on Joey chest. The blond was lying on his back, just watching his friend. He had barely left Tristan's side and it was beginning to show. There were dark circles under the blond's eyes and he was pale from lack of sleep.

Seto sat down in the chair next to the bed and reached out; stroking his love's bruised face. This was the only time he could touch Tristan. When he was asleep or passed out from the painkillers. Even after three days, Tristan wouldn't let him, Yami or Yugi within arm's reach.

Yami had come up with a theory yesterday as to why.

~*~*~*~*~

FLASHBACK

~*~*~*~*~

"I don't understand, Yami."

They were sitting in Seto's office. Yugi and the others were with Tristan, trying to keep him quiet after he had awoken from a nightmare. He had reacted violently to Seto's presence and when he had left the room, Yami had gone with him.

"Well, I can see it."

"Enlighten me, why don't you?" Seto replied, a bit sarcastically.

"He knows he has nothing to fear from Joey and Ryou."

"He has nothing to fear from me! Gods, Yami! I love him! And he has to know you and Yugi would never hurt him!"

"Yes, but that's not how he sees it. He was raped, Kaiba. By a man he trusted. You, I and Yugi pose, in his mind, a threat because we're all homosexual."

Seto rolled his eyes. "So's the mutt."

"I know you have your own ideas about that. But as far as Tristan is concerned, Joey is straight; as is Ryou. That makes them safe. They wouldn't possibly want anything of that nature from him."

"But he can't even look at me without cringing." Seto avoided the other's eyes. "He can talk to you and Yugi, but he barely speaks a word to me."

"I would venture to guess that's because you're his lover, Kaiba. You, above all would want him in that way. Though I get the feeling it goes deeper than that."

"How do you mean?"

"I'm not sure." Yami sighed in frustration. "Until he tells us exactly what happened, we won't know."

~*~*~*~*~

END FLASHBACK

~*~*~*~*~

"Hey, Seto. How's Mokuba?" Joey's voice interrupted his thoughts.

"He's asleep finally."

"The little guy was pretty upset."

"He'll be okay." Seto couldn't help but grin as Joey yawned hugely. "You need some sleep, pup."

"Yeah, well, it's kinda hard when he keeps having those nightmares." Joey's arm tightened around Tristan's shoulders as he twitched in his sleep. "I just wish he'd talk to us about it. It might help, yanno?"

"Go to sleep, Joey." The CEO didn't want to talk right now. All he wanted was to watch Tristan looking peaceful for once.

"You're not gonna sleep in that chair again are ya?"

"Yes. I am." Seto shot the blond a look. "Just go to sleep already."

"Sure, fine. Whatever." Joey yawned again, closing his eyes. In no time flat, he was softly snoring.

Seto ran his fingers over Tristan's face once more, noticing that the swelling was starting to go down somewhat. He traced a gentle pattern down Tristan's arm until he could lightly lace their fingers together.

[Tristan, please talk to me. It hurts so much when you push me away. I just want to help. Please, baby.]

Seto settled in for another long vigil. He wouldn't sleep until the sun came up and the rest of Tristan's friends arrived. Then, if he was lucky, he could find some rest. But only then.

~*~*~*~*~

Everyone: OO

YD: I told you it was far from over!

DD: Well, we couldn't just do a "Brad's dead and everyone lived happily ever after", now could we?

Seto: Yes, you could have.

YD: No. We couldn't.

DD: And we won't. I wanna torture Tris some more!

YD: And we will.

Tristan: Please review and ask them to NEVER WRITE AGAIN!!

Joey: PLEASE!!