Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Unpeople ❯ swords ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Yami set off on his horse in the lead and the rest following behind him. He had brought the priest Seth with him as he had insisted persistently on the fact that he should go with him. He had also brought a number of other people with him, for various reasons. Seth had tried a number of times to get the Pharaoh to tell him a more understandable reason then he was already given for this trip. He didn't believe the excuse that Yami just simply wished to visit the cities, something else had to be up.
The wind swept up against him, causing Yami to shield his eyes with his arm, from the sand. Seth looked towards his Pharaoh, hoping that some of the other reasoning behind the recent change in his attitude and behaviour. Yami his eyes half lowered looking towards the sunbathed horizon. The bright light in his eyes was not the sole reason for the slight squinting, since his dreams had become crueller, he had found himself waking up tired each morning. He suddenly stopped feeling nervous movement from his horse beneath him, and spotting a line of movement on the horizon.
“What is it my Pharaoh?” Seth asked once again pulling up beside him.
“There is something out there moving,” Yami commented, “I can see it there, not far away.”
“Do you have any idea of what it could be?” Seth replied squinting into the sun, trying to find the same images infront of them.
“I do not, but if we continue along these paths we should be able to cut it off if we hurry,” Yami replied hastening his horse in the direction of the movement.
Seth sat startled at the sudden movement, before quickly following suit and having the others do the same behind them.
Bakura hurried his followers on. He didn't like being so far from their base in clear day light. It was not safe for such a party of look and description to be travelling from the direction of the Valley of the Kings, incase soldiers or police happened upon them. Along with ever since he had charged into the Pharaoh's palace, his face was more recognisable and even the Necropolis guards had been strengthened, though they were still easy to bypass.
As they hurried along the sand driven dunes a cry called out and a man rushed towards Bakura from further back in the group.
“Bakura, Bakura,” the boy cried.
“What is it?” Bakura asked annoyed, he didn't find the distraction pleasant, and the heat had already started to give him a head ache.
“There is movement on the sand from the side,” the boy replied earnestly, “it seems to be approaching fast, and it looks like it could be people on horse back.”
Bakura looked at the news bringer sourly, cursing inwardly out of hidden shock and fear. His groups was tired and disheartened. While they did have swords to fight with, he doubted that even with his Diabound they could take on who ever was coming, as they were likely more rested then them. Turning back to his followers he quickly informed them to hasten.
Yugi and Raye trudged further through the sweltering sun. Neither of them was use to such heat, nor had they ever seen such large expanses of sand. The few times Yugi could recall seeing any sand was around the few plants at the minor oxygen facilities. They had recently started to not trust their own eye sight having fallen prey to mirages a number of times since having found themselves in the strange land. Watching the wavering horizon as they trudged along Raye suddenly stood up straighter looking at shadows of movement.
“What is it?” he asked resisting from giving the silent figure a nudge.
“Shh, just listen,” cam the reply, as Yugi had a finger placed against his lips.
Closing his mouth he did as he was told and tried to hear what his companion had.
After awhile the faint sound of metal striking metal reached his ears, along with the slightly louder sound of people yelling at each other, while the sand softened any possible sounds of feet.
“It's coming from behind those dunes,” Raye commented pointing towards one of the dunes encircling their flat area.
Nodding Yugi clambered up and over the dune closely followed by Raye who quickly stopped at the site of the battle infront of them.
“Wait Yugi stop!,” Raye cried after the stunted boy who was racing towards the clash between the tomb robbers and the Pharaoh's accompaniment.
“We can't just let them kill each other,” Yugi cried back, “we have to help whoever the victims are get out!”
“Yugi it's too dangerous, and we know nothing about them,” came the reply as he was followed.
Carefully merging into the throng Yugi yelled back, “find the victims and head out.”
“We aren't heroes!”
Yami couldn't believe his good luck, they had only just started and he was given a chance to destroy the surge from his dreams, the man who had defaced his father's tomb. All he had to do was find the tomb robber in the squabble that was enthralling them all. Dropping down from his horse, against the suggestion of some of the remaining accompaniment that were still on horse back.
Looking around the thick throng of fighting he realised that he may have trouble trying to find the man he wanted specifically to fight. So he started pushing his way through the fighting groups looking for his target.
This was the last thing that Bakura had wanted. His troop was tired and he knew that it was unlikely that they could hold off against the well trained army. Bakura himself was near the outside of the fighting, but he also had a number of hopeful soldiers advancing on him. Knowing his own strength, he confidently knew that he would be able to take on at least 1 or 2 of the soldiers on at once. But with the 5 closing in on him alone, all he could do was defend himself and hope that they would get distracted of be called off. Blocking the strike of a soldier's sword, he didn't notice the pale figure watching him.
He had gotten in over his head and he knew it. Yami was no surrounded by the thieves, all of which were grinning fiercely thinking of how they would be praised to be the one who ridded the world of the annoying Pharaoh.
He continually swung around, having to remain on his feet in the fear that more then one of them would strike at once. The Pharaoh had no idea how he was going to get out of this one alive.
Seth was becoming worried, the Pharaoh was no longer on his horse, and he couldn't see him anywhere close. Remaining on his horse, and knocking away and sword strikes that came his way, the priest looked around hoping to spot Yami's startling hair style poking through the other people. It was times like this in which he wished his cousin was taller. Suddenly he saw a flash of gold among the mass of moving bodies. Charging his horse forward he realised that Yami was surrounded. He knew that his death had been foreseen, and he wasn't suppose to interfere. But he had grown up with the Pharaoh, and he wasn't about to let him be slaughtered by these scum of thieves.
Raye had stayed around the outside of the battle, not wanting to become involved. She was worried about how Yugi was going admist all the swinging blades. She had never weapons such as these. Bladed weapons were sometimes used to threaten at a close range, but they were much shorter then these unwieldy looking metal objects.
Looking in at those fighting she followed Yugi's instructions best she could. Following the stature that the victim is the person is being ganged up on she spotted a person who was obviously outnumbered.
Gathering up her strength and courage she increased her speed so when she grabbed the man's arm it would be easier to keep going.
Yugi forced his way through the battlefield. Ducking under people's arms and through their legs. He knew that the victim had to be in the middle somewhere, he couldn't just let them suffer. After all, he knew how it felt to have people set out against you for just what you are, or because they think they are better then you. Glancing around he spotted what he was looking for, a man surrounded by others, who seemed to be attacking him at random. Checking out a quick enough exit route he quickly forced his way through the crowd.
Seth's horse reared as he pulled it quickly to a halt. The same look of astonishment on his face was pasted on those of the thieves who had been facing his Pharaoh. Yami had just disappeared from right infront of them. He was there one minute, there was a small dark blur of movement and then he was gone.
“This doesn't fit into the prophecy,” the priest gasped under his breath gazing upon the empty sand as the thieves pulled back for an unknown reason.
Breaking from his thoughts he quickly ordered the soldiers to pull back, and head back to the city. He heard some of them grumble and complain, but he didn't really care about why the thieves were retreating. The Pharaoh had simply disappeared, and he was going to have to explain it to the others. Though he just hoped that they would believe him. Somehow something had changed Yami's fate.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
Equilla; ok I know I didn't talk at the start of this one, and that it has been awhile. But this is actually the second time I have written out this chapter as I lost it along with other chapters from other stories which upset me. So I had a bit of a hard time letting them go, in hopes I would find them. But then I found the old chapter, so I blended the two, making it double strong. Try and figure out what I wrote before.