Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ King of Thieves ❯ Under the Stars ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do NOT own Yu Yu Hakusho or any of it's characters, and if I did, you'd hear me bragging about owning Kurama by now! Yeah, that would be the day. . .

Hello, again! I'm sorry it took so long to put this chappie up, please forgive me! And I'd like to apologize in advance for any cliffhangers I might, repeat, MIGHT, put in the future! I know you all hate cliffys. . . ANYWAYS, I'm really sorry for my short chapters. I really need to follow Silver Neko's example. I mean, c'mon, have you seen how long her chapters are?! And Silver Neko says they're short. . . C'mon! I'm also going to space my paragraphs out a little more. I noticed that some were quite long. Also, a little OOCness! Hey, this IS a fanfic. Well, I'm just gonna shut up and start the chapter. Review after viewing this viewable view! *readers* SHUT UP!!!

*************************************************************** **************

I relived that horrible day all over again. . .

I had finished decodeing the lock to the treasure chest and opened it with my paws. I poked my head inside and grabbed the gold necklace with my sharp teeth. I took my head out of the chest and laid my discovery on the delicate floor. I cocked my head to one side as it shone from the light in the room. It shone brightly, even in the dimest of light. I also noticed that my silver coat gleamed very brightly in such little light. I decided to pay no mind to this and, once again, grabbed the shimmering necklace with my teeth. I looked behind me, then ran out the door as swift as my fox legs could carry me.

I was finally almost out of that wretched place when my ears picked up a presence of someone following me. Deciding they were far behind me, I stopped and turned around to face the presence. In the distance, I could see someone running towards me, blabbering about something I couldn't understand. As he got closer, I noticed he was carrying a gun. Oh, great, I thought. Who is this guy? He must be a hunter, judging from the gun. Not to worry, I'm way to fast for his stubby little feet. But in the midst of my thoughts, I forgot he was even there. My eyes widened as I realized I let him get too close to me. He was within the range in which I wouldn't be fast enough to dodge his bullet. I turned around and started running, hunter on my tail.

For once, I had panicked on one of my escapades. For once, I was too close to getting caught. I had to escape, no matter what the circumstances. I wasn't about to ruin my winning streak. I wasn't about to admit defeat. I'm very stubborn, as you can see. And my stubborness is one of the things that gets me through the thrill of stealing. But this time, my stubborness failed me. I guess I just didn't have enough at that moment, due to the fear of actually getting caught. Maybe even killed. . .

Behind me I heard a blast, the blast of a gun being fired, no doubt. I know that bullet missed it's target, since I probably wouldn't even have had the time to confirm it a gunshot. Not to mention the fact that the top of a rock I just ran by flew to a few smaller pieces. Another gunshot. I yelped as it just barely scratched me. I staggered from the sudden pain. As soon as I recovered, I began to run faster, adreneline fear coursing through my body. I never felt that way before, most likely because in all my years of living, I've never been in a situation like this.

I heard another gunshot, and I screeched in pain. I had tripped from the great pain of the bullet, and the gold necklace slipped from my teeth. I fell to the ground, bleeding uncontrollably. I grew faint from the sight and the loss of my blood. What was I to do now? Should I die in shame as a mere hunter kills me? No, that would not be possible. But how? How can I live when I can't even run? The hunter had almost reached me when I came to a solution. I would part my soul from my body and possess another's body. It would have to be an unborn human child. I will not be able to possess a demon for long. I didn't like the sound of it, being trapped within a human, but it was the only way.

*************************************************************** ************

I awoke and sat up on the couch. I looked around the room, forgetting where I was at the moment, and I noticed I was breathing heavily. I put my hand to my head, moaning. It was just a dream. . . I climbed out of the den into the night. It was 7:30. We wouldn't have to go to the treasurey until after midnight. I sighed. I had woken up pretty early. A breeze had come into the night air and sent chills down my spine. I loved it. I decided to sit atop of a nearby rock. I'm not talking about a shrimpy rock, oh no, it was pretty big. I had already sat down when I realized how tired I really was. I lay down on the rock's smooth surface, and closed my eyes. I didn't want to risk my past repeating itself again, so I made sure I didn't fall completely asleep.

I had sensed something right then, and I was thankful in a way since I was so close to falling into a deep sleep. I opened my eyes, but did not move. They were climbing the rock I was on, and was almost to me. I can't believe someone would ambush me like this. I mean, c'mon, it's as quiet as a church. Wouldn't they know that I would be able to hear them?

"Hey, what are you doing out here. You know you'll catch you're death if you stay out here too long. You wouldn't want to die like that, now would you?"

Had they seen my dreams? I heard a female voice say this. I sat up abruptly, and Moonshadow was there. You wouldn't believe how close my face was to hers. If I just moved a smidge closer I would have kissed her. And let me tell you, my face felt like Hiei threw a flame on it. I guess Moonshadow felt the same, because her face was bright pink, even in the darkness. But Youko Kurama doesn't show embarrassment. She shifted away quickly, and I smiled. "Oh, shy, are we?"

She looked stricken and offended. "N-No, that's not it! I just don't feel comfortable being that close to you." Her face was still pink. Partly because of the cold, no doubt. Her expression softened.

"Well, why not? I won't bite." What the hell was I saying?! I know when I chose to take on my Youko form I would start acting like him, but this is ridiculous!

This time she smiled. Whoa, she looks so different when she has a sly smile. It's actually somewhat attractive. . . Oh god, help me. "Oh, I know you won't. You're way too gentle and kind. But one question. . ." Here it comes. "Are you actually implying that you wouldn't mind being that close? And maybe even closer?"

Oh, she got me there. WAS I implying that? Or simply intimidating her? I wanted to say the latter, but that didn't happen. . . "Well, so what if I was? What would you do?" FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEONE STOP THE MADNESS!

"You still haven't answered my question, fox-boy. Were you implying it?" She held out her hand, claws sprouting from her fingers. This wolf meant business. I think I got the message. . . Note to self: Never corner a wolf.

"Well, I wasn't implying it at the moment, but now that you said it. . ."

"Don't even go there," she said before I could finish. I was grateful for that. "Look, if you really want to do that, then you're going to have to get to know me better, because before I want to do that, I have to see what you're really like. I know you don't really act this way, you're just flustered. You have to act so tough in order to hide you're embarrassment."

She reads me like an open book. I decided not to give in to her cut-throat predictions. "Well, I'm surprised a wolf spirit can be so precise to someone's feelings. . ."

"What?" I looked at her questioningly. "What are you talking about? I'm not a wolf spirit, but you're on the right track."

What was going on?! First, I start acting like a stud, and now Moonshadow is telling me she's not a wolf spirit? That can't be possible. Can it? What else could she be? I think I would know the difference in our ears and tails. "Wait a minute. That can't be. You're ears and tail are that of a wolve's. If you're not a wolf spirit, then what are you?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?" Okay, now I was REALLY confused. I must have looked it, judging what by what she was about to say. "Well, it's nothing bad, at least not to youkais, they would find me very. . . interesting."

"Then why wouldn't I want to know?" I asked, already interested in her even though I didn't know what she was. Why was being interesting a bad thing? Or that just may be what it sounded like.

"Nevermind, forget it. I'll just tell you." Her ears and tail disappeared. It wasn't a concealing spell because she did not chant any words. I didn't understand. Oh! I had it, I swear! What was it. . .? She unsheathed her claws once again and her eyes turned to a soft yellow, like mine, but they weren't human eyes, but wolf eyes. She spoke. "I'm not a wolf spirit, but a werewolf."

Oh! That was it! Hold on. . . now I understand. Werewolves are very rare in Makai, most are in the human world. That's why youkais find werewolves interesting, because they're rare to come across. Much similar to when humans meet movie stars, I guess. "I see. . . I can't believe I didn't see this before. So, what you're saying is you don't want to be famous?"

She nodded, unsheathing her claws and returning her eyes to a dark green. "Yeah, that's it." She stood up and walked to the edge of the rock. But she turned to look at me again. "Oh, and Moonshadow's just a pack name. My real name is Rhea."

I didn't move. I just sat there on the rock, looking at her. Finally, I said, "Rhea, huh? Nice to meet you, Rhea." I smiled at her.

She smiled back and gave a brief laugh. She turned back around and stared off into the distance for a moment, then jumped off. I heard her yell as she fell and landed on the ground. "Hey, you coming?"

"Yeah, in a minute," I responded. I stood on the rock and looked up to the sky, then jumped off to join Rhea and to wake Kuronue.

*************************************************************** *************

Well, that's Chappie Three! Oh, I'm so happy! I finally made a long chapter! I'm not sure if this is a cliffy, but I think it kinda is. . . Well, remember to review me, because now even unregistered viewers can! If you read my reviews, Silver Neko told me what the problem was, so I followed her advice. Thanx Silver Neko, I owe you one! Keep in touch for the next chapter, I have a feeling it's gonna get juicy! Oh, and sorry to all you Kuronue fans out there, I know I make him sound like he's being rejected. . .

Guess what? I'm advertising TWO people now! Yu Yu Hakusho and Inuyasha fans, I present to you Kitsunes Rose, a very nice person I might add, who wrote the following fics: Things YYH characters would never say; Unsolved mysteries. . . Inuyasha style; self-destruct evil drunk; and hieis biography written by. . . kurama. And my best friend in the whole wide world, BlackPanther, and her story, Others Like Me, a YYH fic! Please check them out!

WXR out!

P.S. Kurama is one hunk of burning love! Huh, huh? Who's with me?! Maybe I'm just obsessive. . .