Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Old Men Shouldn't Play With Fire ( Chapter 16 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Old Men Shouldn't Play With Fire

calikocat

Word count:  998

 

XXX

“Hiei! We're gonna be late! Urameshi will never let me hear the end of it if we miss Hari's first festival!”

Hiei's voice was somewhat muffled as he responded. “The festival isn't going to end for a time. How the hell do you put this on?”

Kazuma snickered as he bounced a giggling Hari on his lap. “Should I help Papa get dressed?” He asked. Hari just grinned and clapped his hands.

“I don't need help!” Hiei's voice was almost petulant...almost.

“If you say so chibi!” The words had barely left his mouth when he felt the approaching energy. He couldn't tell which direction it was coming from, just that it was approaching. He stood and moved further from the center of the room, he placed Hari behind him and used his reiki to form a shield around his son.

Then, there was a loud crack and an old man appeared not far from where he'd originally been sitting. The intruder was not what he was expecting. The old man was...probably older than Genkai, with long flowing hair and a beard that did the same. The beard was so long the man had it tucked into the belt of his robe. His blue eyes twinkled disturbingly behind a pair of old fashioned glasses. When he spoke it was in very good Japanese.

“Kuwabara Kazuma?”

“Yes.”

“I am Dumbledore—ghh!” Hiei's sword sliced through the beard easily and rested against the old man's throat, preventing him from continuing his introduction.

“Hiei?”

Hiei's eyes glowed with rage. “This is the one who abandoned Hari to those...people.”

Oh boy. He kept the shield around Hari and took a step forward. “If you kill him Koenma will do more than put you on probation...an old man isn't worth a declaration of war.”

Hiei sneered at Dumbledore, who despite the blade at his throat appeared fairly calm. “Subdue him.”

Kazuma snorted and let tendrils of his reiki surround the old man and effectively tie him up, leaving him only enough slack to breath. Only then did Hiei remove his sword. Dumbledore looked down in shock at the energy that held him captive...and forlornly at his shortened beard. Hiei sheathed his sword and Kazuma dropped the shield around Hari, who blinked and peered around him at Dumbledore.

The old man smiled kindly. “I would have thought your home to be warded.”

Hiei glared at him. “Our home is none of your concern.”

“Young Harry's safety is a priority of mine.”

Hari tugged on Kazuma's pant leg, and Kazuma scooped him up. Hari watched Dumbledore from his new vantage point with a rather blank look on his face. “We're going to move, no point in putting up wards when we're not staying here.”

The old man nodded in agreement. “Quite right.”

“Who are you?”

At this he smiled sadly. “Dumbledore Albus. I was a friend and mentor of Harry's parents.”

Hiei shifted, hand on the hilt of his sword. “We are Hari's parents.”

“Adoptive parents.” Dumbledore corrected him. “Something that took me by surprise, I assure you. I had no idea we weren't alone that night.”

“You abandoned him.”

“I left him with family, but what is done, is done.” He sighed. “There are things about Harry that you need to know...”

Kazuma tensed when he felt something brush against his mind. He raised his reiki in retaliation and shifted behind Hiei. “Hiei...he's doing something...he's trying to get in my head.”

Hiei snarled and ripped off the cloth that warded his jagan. The first glimmer of fear shown from Dumbledore's eyes as he was faced with all of Hiei's eyes glaring at him. Minutes passed...and Hiei simply grew angrier with whatever he was seeing in the old man's mind. And then with a howl of rage Hiei simply picked up the now trembling old man...and threw him through a window...which now needed replacing.

Kazuma eyed the broken glass and wondered if they could get someone to repair it tonight as he carefully approached his mate. Hari was whimpering. “Hiei?”

“The old man was going to...sacrifice his childhood...and eventually his life.” All three eyes were still burning with hatred. “For the greater good.”

Kazuma sighed and handed Hari to Hiei and placed a kiss to the side of his jagan. “Calm down. You're upsetting Hari-chan.” Hiei nodded and took a deep breath, letting the rage fade as he held Hari close. The Jagan fluttered closed. Satisfied Kazuma reached for the phone and dialed Keita's number glad he had a regular non-magical means of communication. Keita answered on the second ring.

“Moshi mosh?”

“Hey Keita, Hiei just threw a magical old man named Dumbledore through our living room window.”

“...what?”

“Yeah...he had less than stellar intentions toward our son and Hiei overreacted a bit.” He ignored Hiei's grumbling. “There a way to keep the old guy away? Like a restraining order?”

“...I can file the paperwork in the morning. Anything else?”

“Yeah...he might need medical attention. Hiei used his jagan on the guy before throwing him through the window...the window was closed and we're two floors up...and he's still tied up in my reiki.”

Keita's voice was filled with mirth when he responded. “I'll call the proper authorities...and I suppose I'll file the paperwork tonight instead.”

“Thanks. Enjoy your new year.”

“You too.” He hung up with a laugh.

“Well we made Keita's night.” He hung up the phone and eyed Hiei. “So...you still want to go to the festival?” Hiei stared at him before collapsing into a chair with laughter, Hari still held tight in his arms.

 

When they stepped outside their building, finally headed toward the festival, Dumbledore was being carried away on a stretcher by men in bright robes toward a rickety buss.

XXX