Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ About Time ( Chapter 17 )

[ A - All Readers ]

About Time

calikocat

Word count: 476

XXX

Jessica Harris wrinkled her nose in distaste at the state of her home. Tony really could be such a slob. Once more it made her regret running off with him. He'd been so much older than her...controlling...mean. Her family had been right, he wasn't good for her. He wasn't good for Xander either.

Xander. He was the reason for all this. She hadn't known why back then...she just knew that she was meant to be with Tony. That quirky psychic sense the Kuwabara Clan was famous for only gave her the barest form of guidance.

When Xander was born it all made sense. She could see how brightly his soul shined. Her little protector was the reason she'd stayed with Tony. Without Tony...Xander wouldn't exist. And she knew this world...this town needed him. A White Knight. He was meant for great things, she just didn't know what.

A rattling noise caught her attention, dispersing her thoughts and she followed the sound to the small storage space that posed as an attic. With a brief glance to make sure sure was alone, Xander was at school, and Tony was passed out drunk, she cast a levitation charm and floated up to the small trap door.

Once she'd crawled inside the small space she barely held back a sneeze and then cast a dust-be-gone spell, and conjured a light mote so she could see. Then she started poking around the forgotten belongings. The rattling was coming from her old trunk. What in the world? She opened it...to see a faint glow from deep inside. Curiosity got the better of her, and she started digging. The glow was coming from a scroll. She unrolled it...and gaped.

“Holy Pendragon!” she murmured. The family tree had been updated...the Kuwabara Family Tree. Oh damn...there was Xander underneath her name, her real name and her assumed one. Her parents were going to be looking for her again...oh well. She didn't need to hide much longer anyway. She didn't know how or when...but Xander's power should be showing soon. Granted it was five years later than most magical children. Stupid Hellmouth.

She blinked and looked closer at the tree. “Oh my god...” Joyce was alive. That was something else she had regretted after going into hiding...Joyce's apparent death...she'd hated not being able to attend the funeral. Looks like she wasn't the only one who had gone into hiding, granted Joyce had different reason to disappear. Jessica wondered if she should tell Sheila about any of this? Then decided against it. Sheila was even less of a mother than she was, always leaving Willow alone.

She sighed and put the scroll back before crawling out and floating back to the floor. It was about time the clan got itself in order. Now...as soon as Xander's magic surfaced she could file those divorce papers.

XXX