Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Hayate and Penelope ( Chapter 31 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Hayate and Penelope

calikocat

Word count: 932

XXX

Finding Naomi Sandburg was harder than finding Maude Standish.

From what he could remember about her, she was as much a rolling stone as Maude. And while the two women couldn't be more different, that was the one thing they had in common. Neither stayed in one place for very long and that made his heartache. He couldn't imagine growing up like that, not having a permanent home.

Had his sons thrived in that kind of nomadic life? Or did they crave stability? Stability his clan would have gladly provided. If he'd known about them...he would been ecstatic to be part of their lives. Even if only as a friend. No matter what his pop said, Hayate didn't think he was father material.

All of that was a mute point though, because both men were grown and he couldn't find either of them. Hell he couldn't find Naomi because the locator spell kept frizzling. Hayate still had plenty of her hair to work with, having taken it from her brush all those years ago. However, each time he tried had not yielded a result. It was almost as if there was some interference.

Magic. Damn. He'd always wondered if Naomi had some kind of latent magical ability. If that was the case...he'd have to alter his spell a bit to get around the interference.

xxx

Hayate coughed and did his best to smack away the dust on his jacket. He continued to brush the dust and debris away as he tried once again to enter the property he'd apparated to.

This time he was able to walk up to the door, which meant the wards set up only kept someone form appariting to the doorstep. He took out his wand, muttered a quick cleaning spell, grateful he was able to do at least that small bit of magic behind the wards and then slipped his wand back into its holster.

The door opened as he got to it and he nearly stopped in his tracks because there was a Veela glaring at him. In a second he had every mental shield up in full force. “Hello.”

The Veela was still glaring at him. “What do you want Wizard?”

“I'm trying to find Naomi Sandburg.”

She raised a brow and folded her arms under her breasts. “Why are you looking for my daughter?” Hayate blinked, his whole encounter with Naomi all those years ago making so much more sense now. If he'd known then that the woman had been half Veela he would have been much more careful. “Wizard?”

“Sorry. I'm not sure how to proceed... the tracking spell led me here.”

“She has already left...I didn't know my daughter had a wizard friend.”

“Acquaintance.” He corrected; best to be truthful with a Veela, and not piss her off. “I haven't seen her in more than twenty years.”

“So why are you trying to find her now?”

“A recent family development led to my family tree being updated. It revealed that I had two sons.”

“Two?”

Hayate shrugged. “I hadn't planned on ever having children. I thought I was being more careful...it’s not like I had one night stands very often.”

“My daughter was a one-night stand?” She asked, he felt himself blush and the Veela finally smiled at him a little in amusement. “Naomi inherited her father's hair and his ordinariness, but she has a way with men.”

“Ordinariness?”

“My late husband was a non-magical.”

Hayate felt his jaw drop, he'd never heard of a Veela getting involved with a non-magical. Only wizards and witches, anyone with magic really. “It does explain why my entire memory of our encounter is a blur.”

“I'm sure most men feel that way after spending time with her.” Her eyes widened just a bit. “You're the father of my grandson?”

“It would seem so, family trees don't lie. Though my father had to bring it to my attention.”

“Oh?”

“I was working undercover for several months.”

“Auror?” She asked.

“Yes ma'am.”

“If she knew you were the equivalent of a cop, she'd have nothing to do with you.”

He nodded in agreement. “I seem to only have encounters with women like that...probably why I don't actually date much.”

“And now you want to find the sons you never knew?”

“Yes. Even though I don't think I'm father material, family is important to my clan.”

“Clan...” She frowned at that. “A pureblood I suppose.”

“No. We're a very mixed group.”

“Your name, Wizard.”

“I'm sorry; my manners seem to have left me today. I'm Hayate Kuwabara.”

Her beautiful face became breathtaking as she gave him a genuine smile. “My grandson is a Kuwabara. The same clan who adopted Harry Potter?”

“The clan head in Japan did. My father has recently spoken with him. I haven’t met the kid yet. It was his mate, a Makai demon that took in the Potter boy.”

Her laugh was like music and she stepped back and offered him entrance to her home. “It is an honor to meet you Hayate Kuwabara. I am Penelope Sandburg, you may call me Penny. Come, I'll tell you about Naomi and Blair. You can tell me about yourself and how your clan feels about having non-humans and non-magicals in the family.”

“We accept all kinds Penny. This world is too full of wonders to leave a single one out.”

XXX