Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Legal Human Practice ❯ Slayer in the Family ( Chapter 32 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Slayer in the Family

calikocat

Word count: 1020

XXX

It had been a long time since so many of them had been together in one room. They all managed to come in for Christmas, but in shifts, that only sometimes managed to overlap. Today though, the basement rec room was full.

Emi and her husband Bellamy were there with Yuzuki, all wondering how they were going to go about contacting Jonessa. Jonessa had already called her younger sister, but the number had been blocked and Yuzuki was unable to call her back.

Kiku, Calvin, and their younger daughters, Arlene and Anna, who insisted on being called Lolly, were pensive and red-eyed with worry. Seiji couldn't blame them, since they had assumed Joyce had been dead for years. He, himself, was filled with worry over her current situation.

Daichi's brood was the biggest group with his wife Adela, their children, Monica and Makani were present ... while Mari's absence was felt as it always was. Monica's husband Wynford was here along with their children, Merton and Becky. Neither teen looked happy to be there, but had probably been outvoted.

Hayate had brought a guest, which had been a great and welcome surprise. Penelope was a Veela and the maternal grandmother of his younger son that they had yet to meet.

Jiro and his wife Gail had come alone as always. Sheila was still out of contact and had yet to introduce her husband Ira and daughter Willow to the family.

“Can't one of you just show up and talk to them?” Becky asked suddenly, unable to take the tension anymore.

Emiko smiled at their great-grand daughter, the only one they knew. “Hellmouths are different; one can't simply apparate onto one.”

Becky sighed. “I meant by car GranGran.”

Lolly nodded. “Kid has a point, only I think we should all go, in force, in case Dad's folks send more assassins after Nee-san.”

Yuzuki frowned at her cousin. “Joyce-nee isn't helpless; she might not be totally non-magical either. I mean since she got away from them before, and they've all come together on their own.”

“The trait is different in all of us right?” Merton asked. “Some of us have straightforward magic; some specialize in one or two things.”

“That's true.... Some have both though.” Monica told her son.

“I feel I need to apologize for all of this.” Calvin said; eyes unable to meet anyone's gaze.

Seiji shook his head. “The Blanc Clan, your parents, are the ones responsible for Joyce's situation, and only hers.”

Bellamy nodded in agreement. “That Harris boy is responsible for Jonessa.”

“Dad,” Yuzuki started. “Nee-san said she needed him because her son needed to be born. We can't argue with that.” She was right; no one said a word against Jonessa's version of the trait.

“Still nothing on Mari or her daughter?” Makani asked.

Monica shared a look with him. “It would be nice to know what happened to our sister.”

“And to know where Hayate's sons are,” Kiku added.

Hayate rolled his eyes. “I'm working on that, but Penny doesn't know for sure where Blair lives, just that he's in Washington State living as a non-magical. Naomi is just as hard to find. Her latent magical ability keeps messing with my tracking spells. I have no idea how to find Ezra.”

Jiro looked like he was about to say something, but the phone rang. Emiko hit the speaker button so all could hear it. “Hello?”

“Emiko-san?” The voice was young and familiar.

Emiko blinked in surprise. “Kazuma-sama?”

Kuwabara Kazuma had called them; it made Seiji tense as the clan head spoke to them in fluent Japanese. “Shizuru said I should call you right now, something about a full house?”

“Our family has gathered today,” Emiko admitted.

He sighed. “Shizuru's intuition is freaky sometimes.”

Seiji laughed. “But it’s a very strong gift. What did you need Kazuma?”

“We had a visitor from England and he wanted us to be aware of something very important.”

“Oh?” Emiko asked.

“His name is Weasley Arthur; he works in a small division of Britain's Ministry of Magic. However he got a glimpse of the family tree and recognized two of the names on your branch.”

Seiji felt his heart skip a beat. “Who?”

“Joyce-san and her daughter Buffy.”

Kiku's face was white from worry. “How would he know their names?”

Emiko cleared her throat. “You're on speaker Kazuma; that was our daughter Kiku, Joyce's mother.”

“He knew their names because of an old classmate, Giles Rupert. Giles-san is a Watcher. Summers Buffy is his Slayer.”

A chill went through the room, Kiku and her daughters started to cry for the girl they hadn't met. If they managed to save Joyce and Buffy from the Blanc's bigotry...there was still Buffy's fate as a Slayer to contend with. It was something they could not stop.

Seiji barely kept his voice even as he asked, “A vampire Slayer?”

“Yes. I didn't understand what that meant; Hiei had to explain it to me. No matter what though, we'll do everything we can for her.”

Emiko wiped at her eyes. “Thank you Kazuma-sama.”

“Shizuru said something else.”

“What?” Seiji asked.

“To trust in Xander and Willow. With them, Buffy will be fine. We'll be in touch again Seiji-san.”

“Of course, thank you for calling us.”

Emiko shut the phone off and wrapped her arms around him. “We have a slayer in the family.”

Yuzuki's voice shook, in grief or anger was anyone's guess. “I thought Nee-san was leaving some stuff out ...but...”

“Wait,” Merton said, “isn’t the slayer line hereditary? Does that mean Aunt Joyce was a potential?”

Another chill went through the room and Emiko nodded. “It’s possible. My grandmother was a potential. When she was too old to be called her watcher abandoned her.”

Seiji held her tight. “Let’s hope Rupert Giles is a better man than he.”

XXX