Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Mute ❯ The Child of Dreams ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: obviously I don't own Yu Yu Hakusho.
 
Author's note: recently I found that someone has copied this story from me off of another site that I post on. So I decided to put up the real thing since the original fiction is obviously better than the duplicate. Just a note to other authors out there…don't steal, eventually the other person will find out about it…and they'll be pissed.
 
 
The Child of Dreams
 
 
It was late when Hiei awoke from his light slumber. He was in his favorite tree in the backyard of Kurama's house in the Ningenkai.
He shifted slightly to stare through the opened window that looked into Kurama's room. The half koorime was directly across from it and he watched the fox's sleeping form beneath his light sheets.
Niobi….
The small demon remembered how the tiny girl had curled up in his arms, fitting against his hard body gently, like a breeze against a mountain of stone….
He wrapped his arms tighter around himself, not from cold, because even though he was still missing his cloak, it was still a very nice night, but rather from….
`Rather from what?' thought the demon.
He turned his face away from the red haired fox and looked out to the sky. It was so large, so dark, it held so much…but nothing at all. The stars alone knew the night as a companion, many humans thought…but that wasn't true….
Hiei knew the night as well.
Rather from loneliness….
The small demon blinked and fully awoke at the tiny voice that answered his thoughts.
“Hn,” he replied to the night.
He hunkered down even further in his place on the tall branch. He liked this spot because he could see without being seen, judge without being judged, love without being loved….
The koorime startled himself with his last thought.
Love?
What?!
The Forbidden Child growled throatily and flitted to the next tree over, and the next, and the next….
He went without thinking, without knowing, determined to outrun his own thoughts.
Thoughts could be left behind…but memories could not.
 
~~~~
 
“Finally!” said the Spirit Detective.
They had reached Genkai's temple in the Ningenkai.
Hiei had held the girl even tighter, watching as the very small master came down from the long steps leading up to her dojo.
It was then that the half koorime had started to grow uneasy. His heart had started to hurt, and he couldn't understand why.
Genkai had spoken to Yusuke and the others for a few minutes before walking up to Hiei and staring at the child with her stern brown eyes.
They had softened slowly as she watched the tiny girl.
Hiei had tried his best not to look at the master, he thought that if he did, she would know….
 
~~~~
 
“Know what?” Hiei said gruffly to no one as he landed on another branch.
He paused when he realized where he was.
Somehow, without knowing it, the half koorime had allowed his body to take him to Genkai's lands. He now stood straight on one of the branches in a very tall tree beside the master's dojo.
The small demon grunted deep within his throat, seeing no reason to be there. If Genkai came and saw him…what would she say?
On top of that, the Lord Koenma had forbidden him to leave the city, it was part of his probation. He gnashed his teeth together in annoyance before turning to leave.
A gentle breeze came then, caressing his bare arms and he suddenly remembered he had let the small child keep his cloak….
 
~~~~
 
“This is the Niobi child,” Genkai had said. It hadn't been a question.
Hiei had fixed his face to look annoyed and dispassionate. His demeanor even fooled Genkai, though he watched what the small master did, sensing her with his own dark demon powers.
It was then that the child's heart had sped up….
 
~~~~
 
The half koorime leapt nimbly down from his perch on the tree and stood next to a window with the doors opened. He knew…he felt…he breathed….
Her.
She was lying right where he knew Genkai had left her.
And she was beautiful beyond compare.
The very small child was on her back, laid out over the plush futon the master of the dojo had provided her. Hiei crouched low on the windowsill, staring at her as his breathing halted in his throat.
She really was lovely….
 
~~~~
 
The half koorime had held her tightly when he heard her tiny heart start to race. His actions went unnoticed as the small master and the others spoke again. Hiei's eyes had widened in concern and fear.
Had he done something to her?
Was she ill?
No…
No, he had realized after a slow moment….
 
~~~~
 
In the room now, Hiei walked without sound to her bedside, trying hard to remember to breathe.
Why was she so….
“Beautiful…” uttered the small demon.
The slight sliver of moonlight that managed to show into the room bathed her in its own grace, somehow magnifying what perfection youth had given the girl. Her hair, darker than the raven's wing, rained down the soft pillow under her head, gathering like teardrops over the cushion she laid upon. In her sleep, she had thrown the light covers away from her and she now held tight to the cloak Hiei had wrapped her body in.
And she was so very pale, so very small, so very….
“No words…” breathed the mixed breed demon as he watched her.
With a shaking hand, he reached out and touched his cloak that was covering her. Gently, so gently, he removed it.
She really was lovely.
Genkai had not dressed the girl since she had not awoken since being left there.
So Hiei saw the child's bare skin, as he hadn't really allowed himself to do before when he had bathed her.
He now openly gazed at her slender and undeveloped body, seeing her very smooth skin and very young breasts.
His eyes widened slowly, drinking her into him and he took in her scent.
She smelled of the moon and of the rain and of….
Him.
The half koorime shuddered as he took a step to her, closer….
 
~~~~
 
The tiny mixed demon had almost choked when he realized what the child's heart was reacting to, and he was glad to see that the others weren't paying attention.
He eyed them for a moment before staring down at the child in his strong arms. Hiei then had increased his power level again, allowing his unseen you-ki to envelope him and the girl, yet still keeping it hidden from anyone else.
Niobi's heart had sped up again.
He was doing it…she was responding to him….
 
~~~~
 
Hiei stood at the side of the girl's bed now, watching every movement she made. Unknowingly, he began to match her breathing patterns with his own, imaging what it would be like to touch her again.
His hand reached out to her…but as his last thought passed through his thoughts, he retracted and leapt from the room.
He panicked.
And he was panicking still. That child…that child had elicited a strong reaction in him, causing his breathing to cut short and his heart to speed and his body to shiver.
Why?
He ran, again outrunning his thoughts, but at every turn, she was there….
How her eyes had shone like storm clouds….
He ran harder….
How her hair had gleamed dark even in the bright day….
He ran faster….
How her skin had felt of polished moonlight….
He awoke.
The half koorime startled himself so badly he almost fell from his spot in the tree. He jumped up in an instant, still panicked and now distraught with confusion.
A dream….
He had dreamed….
Of her.
His breathing calmed after awhile as he sat himself down again. The moon was still behind the clouds, the breeze was still caressing his bare arms, and the fox was still sleeping.
The small demon was greatly unnerved by the dream.
He had dreamed about her yes, but the memories had been real. When they had left her with Genkai, he really had felt her reaction to his you-ki. He had been astonished by it at first, and then greatly pleased.
No, pleased wasn't the word…what was it?
What described how he had felt?
Hiei wrapped his arms tightly around himself and closed his eyes but didn't sleep. For a few moments, he sat quietly and listened to the night. Then, he saw with his Jagan eye.
Searching….
There.
She was there in the position he had seen her lie in his dream. So small, so beautiful….
And she had been in his care, as she still was.
After all, that coward of a human, the boy, hadn't protected her. No, he had told Hiei that he should take care of the girl….
She was his charge. She had reacted to his you-ki. He had carried her safely through the portals and into Genkai's lands. He had cleaned the filth from her body when he bathed her.
The little demon snapped his dark eyes open, closing his Jagan. He knew what he had felt then, and he knew what he felt now. And it was a dangerous thing.
Possessive.