Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ My Love to Remember ❯ Dark Lonely Street ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
I don’t own YuYu Hakusho or its characters. I do own Nariko and Keiji.



A/N: Ok, so here’s the second chapter. Hope y’all like. It’s gonna get aot better later on, don’t worry. I’m curious to know what y’all think. Cuz I ain’t even sure if this story’s even worth continuing haha. So feedback is appreciated. :]


YuYu Hakusho
My Love to Remember
Chapter 2 - “Dark Lonely Street”


Several Weeks Later



It was getting dark as I was walking home after work. After waiting on tables all afternoon, I was exhausted. For an illegal underground bar, it can get pretty packed.

The streets were nearly completely empty on this side of town. The side streets will give me the most direct route home. The dim streetlamps were like pools of safety stretched out before me, in between each pool were thick shifting shadows, as if they were on the verge of overflowing and swallowing what little light there was. Creeped out? Me? …. Nawww.
I shoved my hands into the pockets of my coat and trudged forward, picking up my pace slightly, eager to get home. Boisterous laughter shattered the stillness up ahead. I hesitated for a fraction of a second, but I thought to myself, ‘Aw, fuck it. I’m tired. If they know what’s best for ‘em, they wont fuck with me.’

I kept walking in the direction I was going, not pausing when the men leaning against the wall at the entrance to an alley jeered and catcalled as I passed by. I quickly took in their appearance. It looked like there were five of them, all drunkards that had gotten thrown out of the bar earlier. ‘Pfft, I can take ‘em,’ I smirked to myself. ‘Although, I’d rather it not go there…’ I admitted to myself grudgingly.

After I had left the noisy banter behind me, I felt a tension I hadn’t even noticed was there drain out of me. My shoulders slumped and I burrowed down into the comforting warmth of my coat, my upturned collar obscuring most of my face. The sound of screeching tires snapped me out of my reverie. Instinctively, I took two steps to the side, and the car came to an abrupt stop precisely where I had been standing, my knees brushing against the bumper. I raised a boot-covered foot, hands still in my pockets, and kicked in the front of the grill, leaving a perfect imprint of my foot. “Watch it, asshole!” I shouted angrily.

The driver stepped out of his car, waving his arms and shouting profanities at me. I ignored him and kept walking, reaching the other end of the crosswalk, muttering under my breath. The car screeched past me, horn blaring. “Shove it!” I yelled, raising a hand and flipping him off. The car turned a corner and the smothering silence came crashing over the street again.

I trudged forward a few steps, and stopped abruptly. I heard footsteps behind me, a quick glance over my shoulder told me it was those yahoos from the alley. ‘Aw, great,’ I thought angrily. ‘That dumbass driver distracted me long enough for them creep up on me.’
I turned a corner and shortly heard them round the same corner, not too close. ‘They’re up to something..’ Suddenly, I walked right into something solid and stumbled back. “ Sorry,” I muttered, stepping around the person to keep walking.

“Nari-chan!”

I turned to glance at who it was and felt an arm go around my neck and Yusuke pulled me into a headlock, ruffling my hair.

“Yusuke!” I managed to gasp.

“The one and only!” Yusuke said cheerily.

“What the hell are you doing here?” I demanded, wriggling away from his grasp.

“I was at the arcade,” he says, indicating at a shopping bag full of prizes in one hand.

“Hey, Yusuke, see those guys back there? I think they’re following me,” I muttered.

Yusuke’s face took on a serious expression. “You sure?”

“Yeah, I think they’re up to something. Pretend you’re leaving and take a detour, then meet me at the corner up ahead,” I whispered quickly.

Yusuke’s face split into a sudden grin. “I get it. Like an ambush.”

“Yep,” I grinned. Raising my voice loud enough to carry, I said, “Well, I’ll see ya later Yusuke!” Yusuke winked at me and was gone. I started walking again, at a slower pace to give Yusuke time to reach the corner. I heard the clink of a chain and the sound of several switchblades snapping open behind me.

Once I made it to the corner, a quick glance out of the corner of my eye showed me Yusuke leaning against the wall, arms crossed over his chest, an anticipatory smirk on his face. I nodded slightly to him and turned to face the guys behind me.

“Alright fellas, who are you and what do you want? Walking with you breathing down my neck is really starting to get on my nerves,” I said casually as I lit a cigarette, leaving it between my lips and letting my hands slip back into my coat pockets. “Come on, who’s gonna answer me? I ain’t got all night.”

A low chuckle spread around the whole group. One of the guys darted forward and jabbed his blade at me. I dodged easily and he stumbled. I drew one hand out of my pocket and drove my elbow into the back of his neck. He collapsed with a thud and I turned back to face the rest of them, a faint smirk on my face.

“Now is that any way to treat a lady? You didn’t even give her a fair warning,” Yusuke said, drawing close to the guy with the chain from behind. He grabbed his wrist and coiled the chain he was still holding around his neck. The guy scrabbled at the chain desperately, unable to reach at Yusuke’s arms. I drew in close and raised a foot, driving my boot into his gut. Yusuke released him and let him double over on the floor gasping.

“Look out!” I yelled, raising a fist and plunging it into another guy’s face that was just about to shove a blade into Yusuke’s ribs. Blood squirted from his nose, spraying onto my coat. “Argh! Goddamn it! I just washed this!”

“Argh, stupid whore! I’ll show you!” another guy came at me swinging his fists, I stepped aside and Yusuke swung an upper cut and caught him in the jaw. He wobbled for a moment and fell over, smacking his head on the concrete.

I turned my attention to the last guy and saw his knees shaking. I stood before him, leaning my face in close, blowing smoke out of my nostrils. “Boo!”

“Kyaa! Don’t hurt me, please!” he collapsed to his knees, bowed his head, and clapped his hands together as if in prayer. “He told us that if we didn’t take you out, he’d go after our mothers!”

“Who?” Yusuke demanded.

“I’m not supposed to say. If he finds out, he’ll kill me!” he stammered.

“You better spill the beans buddy, or I’ll do much worse than just kill you,” I said lazily, blowing smoke in his face.

He gulped loudly. “It was Keiji! But please, don’t tell him I told!” he confessed.
I felt my insides go cold. So Kieji wanted me out of the way, huh? Fine. “Who the fuck is Keiji??” Yusuke asked.

“He’s my boyfriend,” I said hollowly. I dropped the cigarette and stamped it out.

“WHAT! What kind of boyfriend orders some goons to ice his own girlfriend??” Yusuke yells in disbelief, tightening his fists. “Argh! That’s so stupid!!!!!!!”

I turned and started walking away, leaving the guy still kneeling on the floor. “Hey, Nariko, wait up!” Yusuke grabbed his bag of prizes from where he’d left it and hurried to catch up with me. “Wait!” he grabbed my arm and turned me to face him. “Where are you going?”

“Home,” I replied, my voice distant.

“You can’t go back there! You told me the other day that you moved in with your boyfriend after you ditched that orphanage. Listen to me! He just got a bunch of goons to snuff you out and you’re going to go to him?! Are you nuts??” Yusuke ranted.

“I’m not staying. I’m going to go get my stuff,” I replied calmly.

“I don’t think you should go alone. Listen, do you know where you’re gonna stay?”

“…. No..”

“In that case, you’re going to come crash at my place. No arguments.”

I snapped out of my stupor and looked at him sharply. “Stay with you? Are you kidding?”

“Naw, I’m serious,” Yusuke grinned. “You didn’t think I’d let my buddy out in the streets did ya? My ma won’t mind, she’s never home anyway. You can share my room with me!” He produced a little stuffed penguin from his bag of prizes. “I got this one for you. I was going to give this to you at school, but I guess I’ll hand it over now.” He smiled.

I looked at him blankly for a moment and felt my face split into a wide smile. “I’ve never had anyone really give a shit about me before for as long as I can remember…” I blinked furiously to try to fight away those traitorous tears.

“Well now you do kid. You can count on us,” Yusuke murmured, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and nudged me forward. I started walking, leaning my head against his shoulder.
“Us?” I asked, puzzled.

“The gang, dumbass!” he said playfully. “Kuwabara, Kurama, Hiei… any one of us would help ya in a tight spot. Even Hiei seems to kinda like you, and he don’t like anybody! Haha. Though don’t tell him I told you that, he’ll never admit it,” Yusuke smiled down at me. I looked at him skeptically. Most of the time I felt like I was a nuisance to him. Dude. Sweet.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

Several minutes later, I was climbing the last few steps that led to Keiji’s shabby apartment. I pushed the door open and stepped in, turning on the light. “It looks like there’s nobody home,” Yusuke muttered. “Damn. I wanted to cave his face in..”

I headed to the bedroom and grabbed my duffel bag. I heard a crash from the living room and sighed. “Yusuke! Quit messing around and help me pack!” Yusuke strolled into the room, hands in his pockets, and a lampshade on his head.

I looked at him for a moment, but decided it’d be best if I didn’t say anything. I turned my attention back to stuffing my bag full of clothes.

“Ooooh! Looky here!” Yusuke said from someplace behind me. “Lace! Pretty swanky Nariko!” I turned to look at him and saw him trying on one of my bras.

“Yusuke!” I smacked him in the back of the head.

“OW!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I finished packing my stuff and we left. We made it to Yusuke’s house half an hour later. Yusuke led me to his room and he dumped my stuff on the floor next to his closet.
“So!” Yusuke turned and regarded me critically. “You hungry kiddo? You‘re so small, you MUST be underfed!”

I opened my mouth to recite a string of profanities, mostly consisting about some of his anatomically tiny things, but at that moment, my stomach growled loudly. I stopped and nodded sheepishly. “Alright! Let’s go see what we can dig up!” he grinned at me, probably aware of what I had been about to say.

We raided his fridge and several hours later, we lay amid mountains of candy wrappers, potato chips, and popcorn, the TV just playing white noise since the end of the movie. I turned to look at Yusuke beside me on the bed and stifled a giggle. He was snoring loudly, mouth hanging open, and a huge snot bubble inflating and deflating along with his breathing.

I grabbed my penguin from where it had fallen on the floor. ‘I always wanted a brother..’ I thought sleepily. I yawned loudly and cuddled in closer to Yusuke. My last few thoughts as I drifted off to sleep was that I just might have found somebody that really did think I belonged. I sighed contentedly and threw an arm across his waist, breathing in the faint aroma of B.O.