Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Outside Looking In ❯ A Salute To Princess ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Six: A Salute To Princess
 
 
Mika let that word sink into her skin. It had been so long since she had been addressed with her proper title.
 
“Aki, you know that no one calls me that any more. It isn't necessary.” Mika replied. Aki sighed and pushed Mika's blond hair behind her ears.
 
“But! I like to remind you that you are of noble descent. It is a good thing. After all, we are searching for your brother, the prince. It is a good idea to remember that we are working with a total different level of demon here.” Aki said matter-of-fact. Mika breathed in the evening air and let her lungs freeze with the cold temperatures.
 
“Let's refrain from talking about this in front of ningens. Please. I'd prefer not to be burned at the stake Aki. Just because you are human doesn't mean that you can go and talk about demons like they are the norm in this world.” Mika reminded her young friend. Aki nodded and waited until the two of them were safe inside Aki's apartment. The apartment was neat and tidy and it was arranged for a family of three. Mika sat comfortably on the couch in the living room and Aki plopped down on the same couch.
 
“You said you had news? Good I hope.” Mika mentioned. Aki nodded.
 
“It seems that your brother is indeed in the Ningenkai. Particularly around here. Why don't you look surprised?” Aki asked when he noticed that Mika didn't look happy or even sad. Mika shook her head.
 
“I saw him. I tried to follow him, but I was disrupted by one of my house mates at Master Genkai's. I sort of… got angry with him too.” Mika rolled her eyes and sighed. Aki slapped his forehead gently.
 
“I do hope you are going to apologize. It isn't as if those people know. Koenma was very secretive when he placed you in Genkai's care.” Aki said lightly, remembering the conversation between the old fighter and the Prince of the Spirit World. Of course he also know that Genkai knew the truth of Mika's past. There was no hiding that from the very brilliant fighter.
 
“Of course I know that they are clueless. Who cares if I apologize!?! I don't need to be getting close to them anyways! They are no part of my life! I don't need anyone but Kenji!” Mika said defiantly. Aki looked at her with sad eyes.
 
“You do know that hurts me when you say that…. Don't you? Kohana feels the same way. Perhaps if you saw the pleasures of trying to live life, you might realize that you can survive without your brother….” Aki added. Mika glared at him and stood up rather quickly. The tension mounted in the room and Aki knew that Mika hated to be contradicted.
 
“I am sorry. I know that Kenji is your world, but sometimes I feel as if you forget that Kohana and I exist soley to protect you and see that you are happy in your life. You make that difficult very often. And with no gratitude, it is very difficult to enjoy my job.” Aki laughed. Mika walked to the front door and pulled on the knob.
 
“Is that all you have to say to me?” Mika asked, ice brimming over every word in her sentence. Aki nodded and watched as Mika left the apartment, gently closing the door behind her. He knew that he had perhaps said too much for the girl to process in only a short amount of time, but there was a warning sent to him from Koenma himself; that a time would come when Mika would have to learn the truth about her heritage, and she might not like what she hears. Aki knew that even though the blond pretended to be tough, that she was helpless, hopeless, and had been placing her happiness entirely on the idea that her brother was going to love her and be there for her for the rest of her life.
 
“You silly girl, what are you going to do when you find out that the people you live with are a part of the group that slaughtered your parents? Perhaps if you were to get close, you might learn that love is still possible… I hope you find it Mika. I hope you do.”
 
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~