Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Unknown Want ❯ The Hie-Teddy gift and a mission ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter4 The Hiei-teddy gift and a mission
After Kurama had gotten ready and made up a believable lie to tell his mother, he went to the park where Yusuke, Kuwabara, Boton, and Hiei awaited him.
“Geese, took you long enough!” complained the spirit detective.
“Uh, Kurama? What's with the teddy bear?”
Kurama looked down at his hands to see that he once again held a black bear with red eyes in his arms.
How did that get there?
“Umm…” Kurama really didn't know what to do or say.
“Hey, that teddy bear looks a lot like Hiei.”
“What are you talking about, Boton?” Yusuke looked at the bear, then at Hiei, then back at the bear. “Hey! It does look like him, if Hiei was a teddy bear.”
“A cute and cuddly teddy. Not mean and evil and unhuggable, like the real one,” added Boton.
Kuwabara, Yusuke, and Boton broke out in laughter.
Hiei, who had been deep in thought and not paying attention to the conversation about Kurama's bear, looked at the laughing trio and uttered one simple word, “Bakas.”
Kurama looked at Hiei and thought how adorable he looked. Then, an idea struck him. Not a brilliant idea, mind you. Just a way to stop the talk about bears and get on with the mission.
“Here, Hiei. The bear is for you.” said Kurama, relived that he had thought of something, but reluctant to let go of his `Hiei-teddy' (that and Hiei might kill him for this).
Kuwabara, Yusuke, and Boton stopped laughing and had shocked expressions on their faces.
Kurama held the bear out to Hiei.
“Nani?” asked Hiei, taking the cute and cuddly teddy bear version of himself.
“Don't we have a mission?” asked Kurama nonchalantly, even though he was so nervous, his stomach could be a butterfly farm.
“Y-yes we do.” said Boton, clearing her throat and opening up a portal to the spirit world.
Yusuke went in first, followed by Kuwabara and Boton. Kurama was about to go through, but noticed that Hiei hadn't moved since he had received the gift from Kurama.
“Hiei, aren't you coming?” he asked worriedly.
“Hn.” was the only reply that Kurama got. Hiei walked right pass him and entered the portal, clutching his teddy bear gift, making sure that it was safe.
Kurama went in, wondering if he should regret giving that gift to Hiei.
They arrived in Koenma's office. “Well about time! How long does it take to-” Koenma stopped suddenly and started laughing.
“What's…with…the…teddy…bear…H iei?” he managed to squeeze out in between laughter.
Hiei turned red with anger and, with a glare that would make the bravest demon cry and run to his mommy, warned, “Mock my bear and die.”
Koenma quickly stopped laughing, cleared his throat and said, “Y-yes, well. Onto the mission. A demon is terrorizing people just a few miles from a skiing resort. You four are to hunt down and kill the demon.” and with that, Koenma sent them trough another portal, this one bringing them to the outskirts of the resort.
After Yusuke and Kuwabara went through, Kurama tried to go through as well, but a certain fire demon pushed the ex-thief to the side and just so he and Kurama could hear, said, “Thank you for my teddy bear gift.”
Hiei walked through the portal.
Kurama followed suit, with not a trace of nervousness or regret.
It was cold. That was the first thing Kuwabara and Yusuke noticed.
“W-why didn't y-you s-say it would b-be this c-cold?!” yelled Yusuke, with chattering teeth, into his compact mirror that allowed him to speak to Boton on the other line.
“I said it would be a good idea to bring jackets, but no, you didn't listen, mister.”
“Y-you never told us that!” yelled Kuwabara and Yusuke in unison.
“I didn't? Oopsies!”
While Boton, Yusuke, and Kuwabara were talking, Kurama had noticed Hiei shivering slightly and had asked him if he was cold.
“I am fine, fox.”
“Are you sure, Hiei? I wouldn't want you to get sick.”
Hiei was touched by Kurama's kindness, but he still said, “You should worry about yourself, fox. You'll probably be the one to fall ill and I'll have to take care of you.”
Kurama felt happier after hearing Hiei's words.
“Well, let's go guys. Might as well get this over with.”
“That's the spirit, Yusuke! Keep your circulations flowing, boys! Help keep you warm!”
“I'm going to kill you, Boton!” yelled Yusuke.
“Meep!” replied the blue headed grim reaper.
Yusuke started mumbling about how much he hated Koenma and his missions and how Boton forgot to tell them stuff.
Hiei clutched his bear tighter, warming his body up a bit.
“Are we going the right way?”
Yusuke stopped and asked Boton.
“Nope. You need to go the other way, Yusuke.”
Yusuke grumbled and turned around.
The others followed him.
And so it was, four friends trotting out in the cold to hunt and destroy an evil demon. One mumbling and grumbling about his employer, the second one wishing he was with his beloved Yukina, the third holding on, oh-so-tight to a teddy bear that resembled him, and the fourth one deciding that he would reveal his feelings for Hiei as soon as the mission was over.