Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Memories ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

They stared at each other, eyes locked together. Kyo was afraid to move, afraid to break the moment. As long as neither of them spoke, it would be okay. He wouldn't hear the rejection that he was almost sure would come.

 

After what seemed like an eternity, Tohru shifted and moved her hand toward his face. Kyo flinched, closing his eyes, and waited for the slap. It never came. Instead, he felt his bangs being brushed out of his eyes by gentle fingers. He opened his eyes. Tohru was still staring at him intently.

 

"Kyo," she whispered, drawing her hand back, "…why…."

 

His heart sank. She hadn't wanted the kiss, hadn't wanted him. He sat up, looking away from her, out at the front yard. "I'm…I'm sorry," Kyo said slowly.

 

"Huh? What are you sorry for?" Tohru asked, sitting up as well.

 

"For…for kissing you." Did she forget what happened all ready? What else would he be apologizing for?

 

"But, why for that?"

 

Kyo looked at her. "Didn't you not want me to? Aren't you upset that I did?"

 

"No! I mean, I'm not upset….I was just wondering…why me?"

 

Tohru was biting her lip slightly, awaiting his answer. Her question astounded Kyo. Why her? Why would she think she wasn't good enough?

 

"Well…" Kyo said, "…why not you?"

 

"I…I thought…." She was blushing, and she looked so cute. "I thought you and Uo…"

 

"What! That yankee?" Kyo cried. "Why the hell would you think I liked her?"

 

"You argue with her a lot….I thought it was your way of…flirting, I guess." Tohru suddenly smiled. "But, I guess if that was true, it would mean that you really loved Yuki."

 

Kyo rolled his eyes. "No…I don't like Uo. I like you, Tohru. I thought that would be obvious after I just kissed you."

 

They sat in silence for another moment.

 

"Um, Kyo? Does this, um, make us a…couple?" Tohru asked, moving a little closer to him.

 

"I'd like us to be," Kyo said, looking at her slightly, afraid of what her response would be.

 

Tohru smiled again. "Me too."

 

And Kyo grinned.

 

XxXxXxXxXxX

 

 

Kyo walked down the stairs, rubbing his eyes. It was the next morning, and despite having showed all ready, he was still tired. He had stayed up with Tohru far too late last night; not that they had done anything (it wasn't like they could, with his damn curse). They had just talked, mostly about nothing, but it was wonderful. It was the first time he had felt totally comfortable with a girl, (with anyone for that matter) the first time he had felt like he had nothing to hide.

 

 

Walking into the kitchen, he saw Tohru standing at one of the counters, her back to him. He smiled slightly, and walked up behind her.

 

"Hey," Kyo said, putting a hand on her hip, the one opposite of him. Finally, finally, he could touch her without feeling like he was doing something wrong. "How're you doing?"

 

"Oh- hi Kyo," Tohru said, startled. "I'm fine, thanks…." She paused, biting her lip. "Kyo…do you think we could…keep us a secret? Just for a little while?"

 

"Why?" Oh god. Was she embarrassed to be going out with him?

 

"Well…I….It's stupid but, I'm afraid of how Uo and Hana will react. They can get a little overprotective of me, and…. Well, there's also Kagura to worry about."

 

Oh yeah….That damn boar. If she found out about them, it would be bad for both he and Tohru. Kyo could handle anything that Kagura brought on (he would just prefer she wouldn't react the way she did around him), but he wouldn't be able to stand it if Tohru got hurt….

 

"All right," Kyo agreed. "We can keep it a secret."

 

But, even with that one good reason to keep their relationship a secret, Kyo still wanted it to be out and known about. He wanted to show Tohru off as his girlfriend, just like every other guy could. So many guys in school would be jealous just because of how cute Tohru was (for she was very cute), but most of all, he wanted to see Yuki's face when he found out. He wanted to show her off in front of Yuki; the rat may be better at him at everything else, but Tohru liked him, Kyo, better. And he wanted to throw that in the damn rat's face.

 

#$#$#$

 

Review!