Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Memories ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
There was an uncomfortable air at breakfast that morning, and only Shigure seemed unaware of it. He went through breakfast as normal, chatting away, not quite realizing that no one was responding, or choosing not to realize. Kyo was just thankful he hadn't commented on what he and Tohru had been doing in the kitchen. Whatever was going through Yuki's mind wasn't showing on his face, though Kyo wished he knew what the rat was thinking.
 
Tohru was quiet as well, and a little red in the face. Kyo assumed it was out of embarrassment, and didn't understand why. She hadn't been doing anything…indecent. Was she upset that everyone in the household now knew…that Yuki knew? Could she have not wanted Yuki to know because she liked him on some level?
 
Great. Now he was questioning his relationship with Tohru. Damn rat….
 
“You know,” Shigure said suddenly, “you three are going to be late if you don't start walking soon. I thought it was going to be a much livelier morning after what happened in the kitchen-”
 
“Shut up!” Kyo snapped, standing up.
 
Everyone's eyes were on him now; Yuki looked passive as normal, but with a slight glint of…Kyo couldn't put his finger on it? Peevishness? Or even…jealousy? That caused Kyo to have conflicting emotions; satisfaction that he, the cat, had made the rat jealous, but also disgust that Yuki thought of Tohru in that way. Even he hadn't (at least, he hadn't thought of her like that often…).
 
He stormed from the table, going up to his room. His schoolbag was there; it gave him a reason for having suddenly left the table. Kyo stood in his room a moment, giving himself time to cool off so he wouldn't make Tohru upset or concerned. He hated it when he got pissed off, and then Tohru felt like she had to make sure everything was fine. She didn't need to get so concerned about him; he wasn't a little boy who needed to be reassured about everything. He could handle things; fights, arguments….
 
Kyo sighed. Tohru was very motherly, almost too motherly. At least she wasn't suffocating. But it was nice, a nice contrast to most of the other schools at the high school, who would dress and act likes sluts outside of school. Tohru was sort of old-fashioned, but…not. It was hard to describe exactly what she was. Innocent. That was a good word for her, but she wasn't as innocent anymore, not after what happened in the kitchen. Thinking back now, Kyo was kind of glad the Shigure had found them before he had gone too far. It, now, didn't seem right what he had done; Tohru really was very innocent and pure, and she should stay that way.
 
“Kyo!” Tohru's voice echoed up the steps to his room. “We've got to hurry!”
 
Kyo picked up his schoolbag, and went downstairs to where Tohru was waiting. He slipped his hand in hers, having no need to hide anymore and they walked outside together.
 
Yuki was outside, waiting for Tohru no doubt. As soon as he saw them, he began walking ahead of them, rather quickly.
 
“C'mon Kyo,” Tohru said, a smile on her face as always as she tugged slightly on his left wrist. “Let's catch up to Yuki.”
 
“Why would I want to walk with-” Kyo started to say, but stopped suddenly. His beads; Tohru didn't realize it, but she had a hold on his beads as she was trying to pull him faster, and his beads were coming off rather quickly. “Tohru, sto-”
 
Too late. His beads had slipped off his wrist, and, with a slight growl of frustration, Kyo felt his body stretching, changing, taking the shape of his true form. His shirt ripped; he could see it falling in tatters around him.
 
He looked up at Tohru, and nearly cried out in anguish. Fear was written all over her face, fear of him. She was scared of him, still. How…?
 
He needed his beads, needed them desperately. He didn't feel right unless they were on; he was exposed without them. They weren't in her hands; he looked on the ground and snatched them up, slipping them back on over his large hand.
 
The transformation back came as quickly as the other and within seconds, Kyo looked like regular teenage boy again. But he felt dirty again, as he did the last time Tohru saw him. That side of him, Tohru was never supposed to see, never again. He was disgusting that way, and frightening.
 
“I'm- I'm sorry Kyo,” Tohru stammered. She looked better than she had a moment before, but she still looked a little shaken. Yuki had stopped walking and was watching them from a slight distance.
 
“It's all right,” Kyo muttered and shivered slightly as a light breeze came by. He looked down at the strips of cloth that were once his uniform. “I'd better go back and change…. You head to school, Tohru. You don't need to be late.”
 
“But all your other uniforms are dirty,” Tohru said. “I was going to wash them after school today.”
 
Kyo shrugged, wanting to appear like what had just happened didn't phase him. “I just won't go then. I'll see you after school.”
 
“Oh, okay. I- I really am sorry.”
 
“Don't worry about it,” Kyo said softly, as he turned to go back into the house. He didn't know if Tohru heard him, and almost didn't care. He couldn't get that look in her eyes out of his head, that fear. How…. how could she still be afraid of his true side?
 
 
XxXxXxXxX
 
REVIEW!!!!!