Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ United Hearts ❯ Chapter 23

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys. They belong to their respective copyright companies. I do however own Shane, Paul, Colin, Mickey, Benny, Toby and any other unfamiliar characters. I also own the plot if you can call it that.

Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4x3, 5+S

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Angst, Yaoi, Shonen-ai, violence, language, references to rape, sap, blood, Death (not one of the boys), Lemon/Lime, medical stuff, and any other weird thing that comes out of my head.... be afraid...

Notes: This is the sequel to "Lost Souls." While it is not necessary to read "Lost Souls" first I do recommend it otherwise some of the occurrences may not make sense. The references to medical procedures, medical reports, autopsies etc. are entirely based on my own pathetic knowledge of such and so I apologise in advance for any incorrectness contained there in. :)

" United Hearts "

Aug. 2002 ShenLong

Chapter 23

Quatre tucked Toby and Benny into bed and placed a kiss on each little boy's head. "Sleep well"

"Night Quatre." said Toby as he snuggled under the covers.

"Quatre?"

"Yes Benny?"

"I didn't really understands much 'bout what Trowa and Wufei was sayin before but it sounded like they can do somefin 'bout that man."

"Yes Benny they can. There is a lot more to this than either you or I realized and Trowa has managed to find out quite a bit. Once they have finished with their current investigation I'm sure that man will be going to jail for quite some time." Quatre didn't want to alarm the boys so he declined to tell them the rest of the conversation that had passed in the other room.

"Good. He should be punished fer what he done."

"He will Benny, I promise. Now off to sleep."

"Thanks Quatre." Benny reached for another hug. "I love yer Quatre, both you and Trowa. Yer are the best dads in the entire universe."

Quatre felt his heart tug and tears forming at Benny's admission of love. "And we both love you and Toby very much Benny. I'm glad you came into our lives and let us adopt you both."

Benny sighed and cuddled up to Toby. Quatre left them to sleep. He switched off the light and pulled the door softly closed. He went back to the desk and opened his briefcase, removing the laptop he booted it up and prepared for a long evening.

A couple of hours later he was through the security and into the files of the L2 senators office. He began to scan through the information, noting with some confusion that the notes and information contained in the section devoted to the conference, that the senator appeared to agree with most of the proposals. Why then was he so vehemently opposed to them now?

It didn't add up to Quatre and he hacked away some more. According to the records the Senator had a few minor changes he wished to implement to the existing proposals. Quatre could see that these were designed to give the colony a better chance at economic growth and some of the changes were quite interesting. So why then was the man being a total jerk and trying to thwart the offers at every turn?

Running his hand through tangled bangs he sighed. This didn't make sense. There had to be more to it. Quatre eased the kinks from his shoulders and neck before resuming his task again. Something was off and he intended to find out what.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Trowa and Wufei settled themselves in front of the console in the main security room. Wufei brought up all the data from the beginning of the dignitaries arrivals. He intended to start from scratch and go back through all the security scans, baggage checks and anything else from the start.

Trowa began by bringing up Nylan's file again. He was determined to find out where this man had gone and what he had been up to. He also called up the information that Une had sent through from Heero and Duo on the Deliverance faction.

The room remained silent except for the clicking of the keyboards and occasional grunt.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sally and Paul headed to the medical facility.

"So what's happening Sally?" asked Paul.

"Sally wasn't sure how much she should tell the boy. Then she decided she may as well fill him in. He was old enough to understand and could probably be of assistance to her. "It seems we have a situation here Paul. Heero and Duo have managed to track down the source of the virus on L2."

Paul's eyes opened wide. "They have?"

"Yes. The person responsible for cultivating it is dead. Apparently killed by the virus itself."

"At least there is some justice as Wufei would say." said Paul wryly.

Sally gave him a look from the corner of her eye. It was bad enough with Wufei spouting about justice and honor but to have Paul starting to do it as well? She would really have to step in here and have a larger say in the boy's upbringing. "They have traced this guy to a group calling itself Deliverance. The purpose for the virus that we can tell from the information Heero and Duo were able to get, is that this group intends to set it loose amongst the representatives here at the conference."

Paul stopped and looked at Sally. "But why?"

"It seems that they still think the earth is out to rule the colonies, that the talks of peace and trade are all just a cover up, the earth will not allow the colonies independence."

"But that's a load of shi... crap."

"Paul... watch your language."

Paul hung his head sheepishly. "Sorry but it is. I dunno all the details but from what I have picked up from Wufei, Quatre and Trowa this meeting thing is supposed ta be for the benefit of the colonies."

"Yes that is correct Paul. There is more to it but that's the general outline. Now it seems that this group has somehow managed to bring this virus to earth and has it somewhere inside the compound. We know they plan to kill off the various representatives but where and when is what we don't know."

Sally swiped her security pass through the door unit and placed her hand on the small screen. Identity confirmed Paul repeated her actions and then followed her inside the building. Paul sat in a chair in the small dispensary and watched as Sally bustled around checking on supplies and other things she may need. She handed Paul a small clipboard and pen.

Paul took it and stared at the woman. "Wha'cha want me ta do?"

"Just tick off and write down the numbers as I call things out to you. I just hope we wont need to use this facility."

Paul gazed around, he hoped they wouldn't have to either. "Any ideas on where this virus thing might be?"

Sally was rummaging around in one of the cupboards. "Not as yet. Trowa and Wufei have some suspicions and are following up on those leads as we speak."

"I hope they manages ta find out somethin then."

"So do I Paul, so do I."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Trowa stared at the screen. "Wufei?"

"Yes?"

"Didn't you say this guy Nylan was working with another man?"

Wufei thought for a moment. "Yes come to think of it there was another man with him when they reported for jobs."

Trowa returned to his typing. A short while later his brow furrowed and then his eyes lit up.

Wufei was busy scanning through the information on each of the arrivals from L2, so far he had found nothing out of the ordinary but there was a small bell sounding in the back of his head. Now if he could only find out what it meant.

Trowa typed hastily, the information came through and he studied it intently. Wufei continued to search the files and the bell became louder. Suddenly both men turned around and stared at the other.

"Got it!" they said in unison, at the same time the vid phone went off and Trowa's pager began to beep insistently.

Wufei punched the vid phone receive button as Trowa reached for his pager and scanned the message.

The vid phone focused and Une appeared on the screen. "Wufei. I am nearly at the compound however the information I have for you cannot wait. Heero has sent me some data which I think you should see, it relates to the virus. I'm sending it through now." Une's face disappeared for a moment as she did something off screen. Returning she continued. "I will join you in the main surveillance room in approximately ten minutes. Study the information and put it with what you have. Une out."

Wufei cut the call and moved back to the console where the screen was flickering as it received the data from Une.

Trowa read the number on his pager and picked up the other phone in the room. He dialed the number to their suite. "Quatre, what is it?"

"Trowa, I have been doing some investigating on that hunch I had. It concerns the L2 senator."

"What about him?"

"According to the files the senator was quite happy to accept the proposals of the conference. There are some notes for minor changes and questions as well as a few other things but the general gist is that L2 was prepared to accept most of what the Earth had in mind."

"So what is it you're trying to say Quatre?"

"In the meetings the senator from L2, Evans, is going on a completely different tack to what's in the files. Each proposal we put forward he tries to dismiss or undermine in some way. Most of the reasons he gives are petty little things but the worst of it is that he upsets the other senators and tries to disrupt the meetings and stop every proposal from going through. It's as if he is dead set on making sure the colonies distrust the earth and consequently refuse the offer of assistance and upset the peace. If I didn't know any better I would say it was a deliberate attempt at sabotage."

"Or a way of stalling for time." muttered Trowa.

Quatre blinked. "Huh?"

"I have a feeling that our senator friend Evans may be part of this group as well."

"It's possible. But I have met with Evans before and he was a reasonable guy. The one in these meetings just doesn't seem to be the same to me, it's as if his whole personality has changed."

"Could have been brainwashed."

"Hmmmm.... Maybe." Quatre flicked through the files on his lap top again. "There's one sure fire way to tell."

"How?"

"Look you see what you can find if anything tying Evans to this faction. Tomorrow in the meeting I will check him out closely."

"Are you suggesting he may be an impostor?"

"Yes."

"But his security pass and prints check out."

"His prints weren't processed until he arrived for the conference Trowa."

The light went off in Trowa's head. "Shit!"

Quatre smiled. "If my information is correct there is something about the senator that will confirm if he is an impostor or not but I will have to wait until tomorrow to check it out and be sure."

"Okay Quatre. I will discuss this further with you when I return and we can formulate a plan."

"Right. Have you managed to find out anymore yet?"

"We have just received some more data from Une. Heero sent it through. Wufei is downloading it now."

"Okay then Trowa. I will leave you to it. I'll see if there is anything else I can come up with. Good luck and I'll see you later."

The call was terminated and Trowa turned his attention back to Wufei and the exchange of what they had both found.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heero headed for his lap top and Duo went through to the bathroom. He booted it up and slipped the disc into the slot. Typing Une's code he began to send the data before placing a call to Une.

Une's voice came down the connection but no picture.

"Yes Heero?"

Heero could tell from the sound of the line that Une must be mobile. "I have sent through some data we found in Saxby's possession. It isn't all that I hoped to get but it may be something."

"So you managed to find him then?"

"Hai we did." Heero's tone was cold.

Une decided to let that ride for the moment, there was an undercurrent there and she knew Heero would tell her soon enough. "What did you manage to find out?"

"The virus was definitely sent to the earth with one of their followers. It didn't specify who but it would have to be one of the L2 entourage. Tell Wufei to triple check all those from L2."

"Already in progress Heero."

"Hn, good. The other bit is that they intend to release the virus on the third day of the conference, that way they know everyone will be there."

"The third day?"

"Hai."

"But that's tomorrow."

"Hai."

"When?"

"That I don't know. There was nothing in the file to say what time and Saxby wouldn't talk. All I can tell you is that it's already in place and due to be released at some time tomorrow."

Une thought long and hard. "We can't evacuate as that would tip them off and they could release it anyway. Damnit! If we only knew where it has been placed."

"I'm afraid I can't help you any more on that one. " said Heero.

"I know Heero and I'm grateful to both you and Duo for all you have done."

"Just doing our job."

"Did Saxby say anything at all that might give us a clue?"

"Iie."

"Hmmm. Maybe if you could try to interrogate him a little more."

"Iie. That cannot be done."

"Why?" Une had a bad feeling about this.

Heero swallowed hard. He had to tell Une but how? He was saved in a manner of sorts as Duo chose that moment to return and caught the tail end of the conversation.

Duo returned and heard Une's question about interrogating Saxby further. He could see his koi was trying to figure out a way of telling Une without dropping themselves right into the shit. He thought it best if he stepped in.

"Une?"

"Duo. How are you?"

"As well as can be expected under the circumstances." Duo was grateful that there wasn't any picture to accompany the voice.

"Heero was about to tell me why you can't ask Saxby any more questions."

"Put it this way Une, that bastard wont be talking to anyone other than the ghosts he helped to create."

"Oh."

"I will explain in full detail when we get back." continued Duo.

Heero interrupted. "Une, He's dead."

There was silence for a moment. "How?" came the flat voice.

"I killed him."

Another lengthy silence followed before Une spoke quietly. "I hope you have a good reason for killing him Heero."

"Hai I do. It was a promise I made a while ago."

Duo's eyes clouded with a mixture of pain and love as he was again reminded of how much Heero loved him. After all this time of suffering in his nightmares of the man that had nearly destroyed him the demon could be finally laid to rest. Duo had been stunned to say the least when Heero had taken over in that room. While he knew Heero had made that vow to Omae o korosu the one responsible for his near death he had never thought it would happen, mainly because he didn't know the name of the one responsible and his memories of that night were just a blur. But when he had heard that voice it triggered his memory and all the pain and suffering had come back.

Heero had been merciless in his assault. He had promised death and he delivered it. To hell with the consequences.

Duo had witnessed Heero in action many times during the wars but this was different. It was as if the man changed before his eyes. The person that had inflicted the final blow in that room was not the Heero Yuy that Duo knew and loved, it was something else; something primal.

"Okay Heero. I understand it must be something pretty deep for you to resort to such, and while I do not condone your actions I will respect the decision; for now. I want to see you both in my office when this is all over and a full explanation."

"Hai. I am prepared to take whatever action you deem necessary Une but know this, if I had to do it again then I would."

"I will be in touch again soon Heero."

"Hai."

The call was cut.

Duo placed his arms around Heero's neck as he dropped himself in Heero's lap. The Japanese man wound his own arms around Duo's waist and pulled him close. Duo winced slightly from the pain of his broken rib. Heero mentally kicked himself for causing Duo pain.

"Thank you Heero." whispered Duo.

"He deserved it Duo. I made you a promise. Now I have fulfilled it."

"Do yer think they will be able to stop this virus in time?"

"I don't know Duo but I hope so. Wufei and Trowa are pretty good when it comes down to finding things."

"I wish there was more we could do."

"They have everything we can give them Duo. It's up to them now. Have faith."

"I do Heero." Duo sighed as he leant against his koi. He felt emotionally as well as physically drained. Now that their part in this was pretty much over he could allow himself to relax a bit.

Heero rubbed Duo's back. "Come on, I'm taking you back to the hospital."

Duo pouted. "I'm okay Hee-chan, I don't need no hospital or doctor."

"Yes you do. You promised me you would let Doctor Griffin take a look at you when we had done all we could and I'm holding you to that. Besides we have to pick up Shane and Fayah."

Duo continued to sulk.

Heero leaned forward and whispered in Duo's ear. "Once we have had you checked out and fixed up I believe I have a few splinters to remove." His hand moved down to caress Duo's rear.

Duo moaned and moved into the touch. "I do believe yer promised to kiss it better too."

"Hai. I will do more than kiss it better." Heero's lips worked their way over Duo's throat.

Feeling himself becoming hard Duo again wriggled. "Then let's get going koi. The sooner we pick up Shane & Fayah the sooner we can get back here and get my ass taken care of."

Heero snickered. "Come on then." Taking Duo's hand Heero led him out of their hotel room and back to the hospital.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

While the computer continued to receive the information sent by Une Wufei gathered his thoughts together before confronting Trowa with what he had found. Trowa was similarly arranging the information he had located along with the words Quatre had spoken. Having placed them in a reasonable order he spoke to Wufei.

"This guy Nylan, he is a part of the Deliverance group, he seems to have joined them not long after the disappearance of White Fang. He isn't under the name of Nylan though, but the description matches him exactly. Also the other guy he is working with for this company, Carter I think his name is, also appears in the groups records. I would think it safe enough to say that these pair are the ones responsible for the planting of the virus." Trowa paused for a moment a little breathless at having said so much.

Wufei nodded in agreement. "I thought that might be the case. Now given the information from Heero and Duo the virus had to have been sent here with one of the people from L2. It couldn't have been sent earlier as P's records show they hadn't completely finished refining it until a couple of weeks before the conference was due to commence. Also P's records indicate that the virus cannot survive for any long period of time."

"Oh. Can you be a little more detailed here? That way we can reduce the time frame down a little." said Trowa.

"From P's research notes that Heero found, the virus can only stay active in the air for so many minutes. The longer it is free without finding a host the weaker it becomes until after about an hour it's no longer a threat."

"So that means it has to be contained to ensure it's survival."

"Yes. If contained within a sealed apparatus it can survive for a longer period of time. The research indicates about four weeks before degeneration begins to set in." said Wufei as he continued to scan through the data.

"So we can safely assume the virus was transported here somewhere in the past four weeks."

"Yes. I'm guessing it would be closer to two weeks to be sure that the virus was still viable."

"Then we need to cross check all the arrivals at the compound in the past two weeks and proceed to the larger time frame from there." said Trowa.

Wufei's eyes narrowed and a small groan escaped his lips. Trowa looked at him in question.

"The data from Heero on that group leader has just come through."

"Oh?"

"The virus is definitely here and planted. It's scheduled for release on the third day."

"Third day? That's tomorrow." said Trowa quietly and he looked at the clock. 11pm. "Does it say where or what time?"

"No."

"Shit!"

Wufei quirked an eyebrow. "I think we had better re double our efforts."

"Agreed."

The conversation was broken as the com. unit beeped to inform them of Lady Une's arrival. Trowa left the room to escort the woman and fill her in on their findings. A few minutes later he returned.

"So, what have you two got for me?" asked Une.

"Lets start at the beginning with what we have." said Wufei. " Fact one; Deliverance group is out to continue where White Fang and OZ failed. Fact two; They intend to do this by wiping out the heads of state so to speak. Fact three; They intend to do it by releasing a virus. Fact four; The virus had to be delivered by someone from L2 and in the past couple of weeks. Fact five; It's highly probable that Nylan and Carter are the ones responsible for planting it. Fact six; It's due to be released tomorrow."

"Right. Can you add anything to that Trowa?" asked Une.

"Quatre seems to suspect that the L2 Senator may be an impostor."

"Oh. Why?"

"It seems that whatever proposals are put forward this man Evans is finding some reason to prevent them from being approved. Quatre has dealt with Evans before and say's that the man is acting a little strange to what he remembers. He also said he had a way of determining if it is Evans or not."

Une and Wufei both looked at Trowa, clearly asking him to elaborate further.

"I have no idea how he intends to do this, he didn't say other than to tell me he would let me know later."

"Okay. Wufei, I want you to re check the L2 arrivals for the last 2 weeks. Trowa, you follow this Nylan and Carter. I want to know exactly where that have been for the last five days and what they were doing." said Une as she assumed control. "I will contact Quatre and find out what his suspicions are and what he is planning on doing."

Wufei swiveled his chair around and began to type, Trowa also began to type while Une punched in the code for Quatre's suite.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~