Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ United Hearts ❯ Chapter 30

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Untitled

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys. They belong to their respective copyright companies. I do however own Shane, Paul, Colin, Mickey, Benny, Toby and any other unfamiliar characters. I also own the plot if you can call it that.

Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4x3, 5+S

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Angst, Yaoi, Shonen-ai, violence, language, references to rape, sap, blood, Death (not one of the boys), Lemon/Lime, medical stuff, and any other weird thing that comes out of my head.... be afraid...

Notes: This is the sequel to "Lost Souls." While it is not necessary to read "Lost Souls" first I do recommend it otherwise some of the occurrences may not make sense. The references to medical procedures, medical reports, autopsies etc. are entirely based on my own pathetic knowledge of such and so I apologise in advance for any incorrectness contained there in. :)

" United Hearts "

Aug. 2002 ShenLong

Chapter 30

Quatre quickly contacted Relena and explained the situation. The earths main representative was shocked with the news but quick to respond to Quatre's plea for help. Needless to say both Benny and Toby were a little put out that they were to remain behind.

"Why can'ts we go too?" whined Toby.

"Yeah, It's not fair we has ta wait here, we always misses out." pouted Benny.

Quatre could feel his patience beginning to wear a little thin. Wearily he turned to the pair of stubborn boys. "With Sally being injured she is not going to want a lot of people around her. I will go and take Paul there as I feel he needs the support at the moment. Once we are there I will leave him in Wufei's careful hands and return with Trowa."

"But I still can't see why we can't go as well." sniffed Toby.

Drawing on the last threads of his patience Quatre tried again to make the pair see logic.

Benny still huffed and Toby wore a look of defiance. "Then if we hasta stay here why can't we stays by ourselves?" Toby asked as he folded his small arms across his chest.

"Yeah we's big 'nuff. We don't needs no girl to watch us." Benny added his own little speech in an attempt to sway Quatre. "Afta all we did go on that mission fer yer."

Sighing to himself Quatre decided it was time to get tough. He thought how Trowa would handle the situation and tried his best to do what his level headed lover would do in the same instance. He fixed a no nonsense look in his eye and addressed the pair. "I realize that you both participated in a dangerous mission but you were with Paul who is older and more reliable. Neither one of you is at the age where I feel safe in leaving you unattended for any length of time. I need to take Paul to see Sally and I do not need to be worrying about you two while I am gone. I know you mean well and maybe as you start to get older and show more maturity then I will feel more comfortable about leaving you alone for a while but at the moment you are both too young and I am not prepared to take the risk that either one of you could get hurt while left unattended. Besides what sort of a parent would I be to leave an eight and an eight and a half year old to look after themselves? Why I would be ashamed to call myself a responsible adult." Quatre finished his tirade and stared at the pair. His little speech had run away with him and he had said a few things more than he had intended to as well as used a slightly stronger tone.

Paul listened to Quatre's spiel with growing respect. The blonde man showing just why he had been one of the most feared people during the wars, not to mention in the world of high finance.

Benny and Toby stood in awe. Never had they dreamt that Quatre would be so strong with his words to them. It was usually Trowa that handed down the lectures and punishments. It came then as a bit of a shock to the pair to find that the usually quiet gentle blonde could be so forceful. Toby hastily made a mental note to completely re think his strategies when trying to wheedle his own way from the Arabian in the future.

Benny felt bad. He knew they were driving their guardian to the edge. He had enough on his mind to deal with at present and Benny felt awful for adding to that list. He sighed. This was no way to repay the love and warmth that they were bathed in daily. He should be a stronger person and not allow Toby to lead him astray so easily. "I'm sorry Quatre." he whispered out.

Quatre quirked an eyebrow. He hadn't meant to be so harsh with his words. He paused a moment in shock. It seemed his little rant had had the desired effect. Not that he had intentionally meant to make the boys feel guilty. Maybe what Trowa was telling him was true, that the pair did know he was generally the easiest to sway and therefore played on his sensitive side. Now he could see it for himself he understood he had to be a bit stronger with the pair otherwise they wouldn't grow up to respect other people, their feelings and property.

Toby also hung his head and muttered out an apology. He hadn't meant to carry on so much but he did hate being left out of the 'action'. Sometimes life sucked when you were only eight.

Quatre smiled tiredly at the pair. "I know you think you're missing out on something but you aren't. I'm only taking Paul to his rightful place and will be back very soon with Trowa then we can have something to eat and maybe play a game. Then I will take you both to visit Sally later on if the medic say's it's okay."

Both Benny and Toby's eyes lit up at that prospect. "Thanks Quatre." said Benny.

"Yeah." Toby ran across to Quatre and gave the ex pilot a warm hug. "I'm sorry I was bad, I don't means ta be."

"It's okay Toby, I understand. It can be so frustrating at times. You think you are old enough to do things but in reality you're not. Be patient, don't grow up too soon, enjoy your childhood while you can it will be over soon enough."

A knock at the door brought the tender moment to a halt and Paul opened it to admit Relena.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Duo and Shane presented themselves at the hospital for their check up. Doctor Griffin greeted them in the small cubical.

"So tell me, how are you both feeling?"

"A little sore but the pain killers yer 'scribed fer me are helpin." replied Shane.

"Pretty good doc." came Duo's response.

"Then lets check you both out. You first Duo."

Duo hopped up onto the small bed and proceeded to remove his shirt. Doctor Griffin removed the bandage and explored the rib with gentle fingers. Satisfied that all was well he re bandaged Duo's ribcage. "It is all still in the right place and so should knit together just fine. I suggest you take it easy with it for a few more days and get it x-rayed in about another two weeks just to confirm it's healing correctly."

"Will do doc. Thanks." Duo grinned and proceeded to put his shirt back on. Jumping down from the bed he motioned for Shane to take his place.

Shane climbed up a little awkwardly and presented his shoulder for the doctor. Doctor Griffin removed the t-shirt and then the bandage. He peered closely at the wound and then reached for some items on a tray. Pouring a little betadine solution [1] into a bowl he used a pair of forceps to dip cotton swabs into the liquid and then swabbed the wound gently. He was pleased with the overall condition of the site, a little oozing of blood and mucus but that was to be expected. The tissues were a healthy pink color and so no signs of infection were present. Cleaning around the wound he reached again for some dusting powder and proceeded to pack the area with it, sending little puffs of white into the air every now and then.

Duo peered over his shoulder as the doc worked. It wasn't that he had a morbid fascination with wounds, blood and the like, he just wanted to make sure that Shane was healing okay.

Shane sat in silence, biting his lip and wincing every now and then as the swabs cleaned him. The solution stung from time to time but nothing unbearable. When the doctor began to dust the area with the antibiotic powder he let a small sigh escape. He was glad he had taken the pain killers earlier, without them this little 'cleansing' would have been a bitch to suffer through.

Satisfied that he had managed to get the powder into every nook and cranny the doctor straightened and reached for the gauze. Placing a generous amount over the wound front and back he proceeded to bandage the area. As a final touch he placed Shane's arm in a sling. "There now. All cleaned up. I want you to keep the arm in the sling for at least a week. The less movement the better the wound will heal." He turned to look at Duo. "The wound will need to be cleaned again tomorrow. Can you make another appointment please?"

Duo shook his head. "Sorry doc, no can do. We're heading back ta earth tomorrow."

The doctor thought for a moment. "Look I'll give you the things you will need to clean him up, when you get back to earth have your own doctor take a look at it."

"Okay. Thanks doc."

The doctor turned to Shane. "I don't need to remind you that you need to rest that arm and take it easy."

Shane nodded. "I promise not ta try an deflect anymore bullets with my body."

The doctor rolled his eyes and looked at Duo who grinned back. "And I promise not ta go swinging off any chandeliers either..... at least not until the rib is healed."

Rather than ask for an explanation, he figured he was probably better off not knowing anyway, Doctor Griffin moved to the small computer console and entered in his notes while Duo assisted Shane back into his t-shirt. Turning back to the pair once more he asked, "Your partner was going to give me the details of your doctor back on earth for me to send the case history through to."

"Yeah, no problem doc." Duo fished in his pocket for the piece of paper he had written Sally Po's contact on. "Here ya go. All the info you need should be on there doc."

Doctor Griffin took the slip and studied it. A soft whistle escaped his lips. "Then if she is your doctor you couldn't be in better hands." he said quietly.

Duo continued to grin. "Yeah Sally's all right for a chick."

Shane snickered.

Doctor Griffin chose to ignore that comment. "Right, I'll send the information straight away." He stepped forward and offered his hand to Duo. "It's been a pleasure meeting you Duo, I just wish it could have been under better circumstances."

Duo took the offered hand and shook it warmly. "Thanks again doc for all yer help, much appreciated."

Doctor Griffin turned to Shane and offered his hand to the brown haired youth. "Take care Shane."

Shane shook the hand. "I will doc, thanks."

"Look after that young lady too."

Shane blushed.

"Oh he will doc, he will." quipped Duo.

Doctor Griffin smiled warmly as he led the two out of the cubicle and walked with them to the main doors of the hospital, the hustle and rush of his other pressing engagements could wait for a moment. "I know this sounds wrong but I hope I don't meet you again."

Duo looked at the doctor. "No offence doc but me either, at least not in the patient / doc role anyway."

Shane studied the street, he just wanted to get back to the hotel and see if Fayah was back yet. Now that he had kept his appointment all he could think about was spending as much time as he could with the girl before he had to leave.

"Come on Shane. Lets get goin."

Doctor Griffin watched as the pair descended the steps and walked off into the crowd. He wouldn't forget the two Preventer agents and their 'son' for some time.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heero re entered the number for the third time into the vid phone. The screen fuzzed and hummed before connecting. He waited, drumming his fingers on the table top in impatience. Another habit he had picked up from Duo he thought wryly. The call continued to go unanswered. Frustrated Heero hit the cancel button. "Just where in the hell is everybody?" he said out loud. Turning to his lap top he typed in a message and dispatched it and then concentrated on the vid phone once more. This time he tried the number to Trowa and Quatre's suite. Reclining in the chair as he waited for the call to connect his mind drifted over the mornings breakfast. While Duo had been too busy vacuuming up huge quantities of food to participate actively in the conversation he sensed his koi had something on his mind. No doubt he would find out just what it was when Duo returned from his check up.

He turned his attention back to the vid phone and growled. No response. He typed in Wufei and Sally's suite number but didn't hold much hope of reaching them either. He wasn't disappointed. the blank screen stared back as if mocking him. Uttering a few choice words in Japanese he tried Une's personal phone. Getting no response from that either Heero ran his hands through his messy hair. He was getting a bad feeling about this. The fact that he couldn't get Une on her personal phone signaled to Heero that something was terribly wrong.

He reached for his lap top once more and sent yet another e mail. This one he hoped would get some response. A few moments later the lap top beeped to tell him a message had been received. Eagerly he hit the button and opened it.

>>> Message in. <<<

From: Preventer_HQSurveillence***@ securemail.***

To: Shades of Light @ Zerosystems

Message received. Agents currently indisposed. Top Cat will contact soon. At this stage all known is Bug spray restrained. Agents Dragon and Rock confronting exterminators. Agent Doolittle injured. All other safe.

>>> End Message <<<

Heero studied the words and deciphered the meaning. The virus had been stopped and the various heads and representatives were all safe. Wufei and Trowa had managed to locate and were currently arresting the scum responsible for the release. His eyes widened a little. Sally had been hurt? He felt his breath hitch and his chest tighten. While he had never been all that close to the woman she had become an important part of his life; hell of all their lives. She was a woman of strength, compassion and a dammed good ally. Somehow the thought of her ever being injured never crossed his mind. He hoped for Wufei and Paul's sake that it wasn't serious. He just hoped that Une would hurry up and get back to him so he could learn the complete status.

Hearing a soft knock at the door he shut the program down and went to see who the visitor was.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Fayah moved quickly through the streets and back to her 'haunts'. She ignored the two propositions that were thrown her way. She wanted to do this as quickly as possible so as she could get back to Shane. The thought of him leaving tomorrow caused a lump to settle in her throat and an ache to appear in her heart. Mentally she shook herself. This would never do. She had only known the teen for a couple of days. But she also knew that during that time she had fallen for Shane.

Turning the corner she came to the familiar street and moved swiftly down to the third alley way. Slinking along she found the door that led to the leaky basement she had called home for as long as she could remember. Descending into the murky depths she was greeted by a couple of voices.

"Fayah?"

"Is that you Fayah?"

"Yeah it's me."

"Where the hell ave yer been?"

Suddenly a pair of smoldering green eyes were in front of her. She looked up into the handsome face of their gang leader Hayden. She could see the worry and concern etched into his features.

"I'm sorry I was away so long. But I'm okay."

"Yer sure Fayah? We was beginning ta think ya had disappeared like some of the other rats."

Fayah smiled. "It's a long story Hayden. I'll tell yer all about it."

A small tug at the hem of the T-shirt she wore brought her eyes down to the small form at her side. "Yer gonna tell us a story Fayah?" The innocent brown eyes stared back.

Bending to scoop the little one up into her arms Fayah moved across the room to sit on one of the nests of blankets. Cradling the child she brushed the tangled mop of light brown hair out of small eyes. "Yer miss me did'ja Kali?"

"Sure did. No ones would tell me a story"

Hayden sat opposite the pair. "All right Fayah, Spill."

Sighing, Fayah began to recite her story. She did as Duo had suggested and gave them minimal information but enough to satisfy their curiosity. Her eyes went glassy as she recalled Shane to them and then darkened as she recounted the trip to the hospital. Finally finishing she reached into her pocket and withdrew the credits that Duo had given her in payment for the assistance she had given in the Preventer work.

Hayden took the credits and let go a low whistle. "Fuck!"

Fayah couldn't hold the smile.

"Jus what sorta work was yer doin Fayah? I never seen so many credits all at once."

"It wasn't yer normal stuff. It was a bit more involved. I wish I could tell yer more Hayden but I can't. I promised the agents I would keeps it a secret."

"Shit! We ain't gonna hafta whore fer a while with this lot." The grin on Hayden's face rivaled those of Duo's.

"Yeah well it should help the kitty out fer a while."

"So these agents.... They still here and what they doin now?" asked Hayden.

"Yeah they're still here but they leave tomorra."

Sensing the sadness in Fayah's tone Kali snuggled closer. "Yer not leavin us again are yer Fayah?"

Fayah looked down at the little one. "I dunno Kali. I hafta go back shortly, I promised Shane I would meet him." Her eyes went dreamy at the thought of Shane. "He's takin me out on a date."

Hayden coughed. "A date?"

"Yeah. He's different Hayden."

"Sure he don't just wanna get in yer pants Fayah?" Hayden snickered.

Fayah blushed. She was used to the crude teasing and suffered it in good humor. "Nah, Shane's not like that. I dunno what it is about him. He makes me feel like a person, like a real human and not some street scum. I guess it's 'cause he used ta be a rat once his'self."

"He was a rat?"

"Yeah. He hung out across the other side a bit. Him and another five ran tagether. I haven't got the full story from Shane but I gather from what he's told me that Duo, that's one of the agents, and him met up on a whoring job. What appened afta that I dunno but Shane lives wiv em on earth now."

Hayden thought on Fayah's confession. "Well he sounds a nice enough kid. Yer just be careful Fayah, I don't want yer gettin hurt okay?"

"I better get goin. Shane ain't gonna be all that long gettin checked out and I wants ta spend as much time as I can wiv him 'fore he goes back."

Hayden reached for Kali and took the youngster from Fayah's lap. "Okay Fayah."

Fayah placed a kiss on Hayden's cheek. "Thanks fer understanding Hayden. I'll be back later some time."

"Yeah, yeah. Go enjoy yerself. See if yer can gets some more credits too while yer at it." he teased.

Fayah laughed and then headed back out into the stale air of L2 and her date with Shane.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Quatre and Paul made their way through the maze of the complex to the medical facility. Leaving Toby and Benny in Relena's capable hands he warned the pair to behave themselves or else they would find themselves grounded for a month.

Still coming to terms with the 'new' stronger Quatre both boys had readily agreed. Feeling it best to do exactly as they were told until they could figure out this change in their guardian.

Relena had been sympathetic to Paul's situation and waved Quatre's grateful thanks aside. She was happy to help out. Besides she simply adored the two youngsters. She had spent a little time with the various ex pilots and their adopted sons since their arrival on earth and while she loved them all she had a special fondness for Toby and Benny.

Arriving at the facility Paul took a deep breath. He felt Quatre's hand on his arm and smiled at the blonde.

"She's going to be okay Paul. I can sense it."

Paul nodded. "I know Quatre but I need to see her to reassure myself."

Quatre returned the smile and pushed open the door. Trowa and Une greeted him. Quatre immediately went to Trowa's side and enveloped the Latin in a hug. "Thank Allah you're okay." he whispered.

Trowa returned the embrace knowing just how worried his lover had been. "I'm fine Quatre."

Une cleared her throat and the pair pulled apart to look at her. "Thank you for bringing Paul Quatre. Sally should be back by now so I'll just check and take Paul through."

"Okay Une." replied Quatre and he took a seat, pulling Trowa with him. Paul sat opposite while Une went through to see if Sally was back from being encased in plaster.

A few moments later she returned. "They are bringing her back now. Paul if you would care to come with me I'll take you through to Wufei. Trowa, Quatre you are free to go."

Trowa nodded.

Une continued. "I'll head back to main surveillance and contact Heero and Duo and bring them up to speed. God knows they must be wondering what's happening. I'm surprised they haven't been trying to get in touch."

"Knowing Heero he has." said Trowa quietly.

"Oh lord! I left my phone behind in the surveillance room. He's probably been trying to call and must be rather annoyed by now."

Quatre giggled. "Annoyed? More like totally pissed off I'd be betting."

Trowa's lips crinkled slightly as he suppressed the smirk, fortunately Une missed the words.

"Come on Paul, the sooner I leave you with Wufei and Sally the sooner I can get back to the surveillance room and get this clean up in operation." She ran her hand through her hair as she thought of the work still ahead.

Paul turned to Trowa and Quatre. "Thanks." he said quietly and then followed Une through the door and to see his guardians.

"Well we have the afternoon together so it seems my love. What would you like to do?"

Quatre thought. "Umm, well what I would really like to do is take you to bed and ravish this gorgeous body of yours." He traced a finger down Trowa's chest eliciting a moan. "But I did promise the terrible twosome we would play a game and get something to eat."

Trowa growled. "Tease." he hissed out.

"Ohh... tease now am I?" Quatre leaned in and took Trowa's lips in a sensuous kiss. His tongue pushed deep into the recesses of Trowa's mouth, exploring, stroking and dueling with Trowa's own. Pulling away he rested his forehead against Trowa's. "Hmmmm I wonder if I can persuade Relena to take the boys out and have something to eat with them."

Trowa felt his desire building. "I'll call her if you like."

"Please do."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Une led Paul down the passageway to a room at the end. Knocking softly Wufei's voice rang out bidding them to enter. She opened the door and ushered Paul inside.

Paul immediately crossed the room to Sally's bed where the woman lay pale but conscious. Her left arm was encased in plaster from her hand to nearly her elbow, her eyes looked tired but held an unusual sparkle. "Hi there." said Paul, his voice quavering a little as he fought to stay in control of his emotions.

"Hey. How's my brave boy doing?" Sally responded.

"I'm doing okay."

"Good. I heard you were really quite the agent."

Paul blushed. "It weren't nufin. Not as dangerous as we thought."

"From what Une and Wufei have told me you played a major role in getting the vital information on record."

"Yeah well... anyone could'a done it." Paul wasn't used to getting such praise. He squirmed slightly.

Feeling his unease Sally changed the subject slightly. "So everything has ended well then. The virus was stopped and those responsible are in custody."

"Yeah." Paul felt the tears begin to well up and he could no longer stop them. The emotional strain of the past few hours burst forth and he found the tears flowing down his cheeks. He turned his head away from Sally, embarrassed to be showing such a weakness in front of her. He turned right into Wufei's embrace.

Seeing Paul's emotional turmoil about to spill over Wufei stood and moved behind the teen. As Paul turned so Wufei pulled him close and just hugged him, letting the boy release all his fear and anxiety to soak Wufei's shirt. He didn't speak. Words were not necessary. It was best to let the boy get it all out of his system.

After a while of uncontrolled sobbing Paul's tears slowed and finally he was able to pull away from Wufei slightly. He reached up and ground his fists into his reddened eyes. "Sorry 'bout that." he mumbled.

"It's understandable Paul. A lot of emotions have run wild today and you needed to let it all go."

"I just... that is when I got told that Sally had been hurt... well I never thought about either of you being in danger. I dunno what I would do if I lost either one of yer."

Sally watched as Paul struggled with his words. She made eye contact with Wufei and was pleased to note the Chinese man was wisely staying silent and allowing Paul to try to express what he was feeling.

Paul sighed. This was so hard but he had to say it. Like Wufei in so many ways he had always kept his feelings locked away, that way he couldn't be hurt. Now it was time to open up and allow others into his heart. Unknowingly that had already begun to happen and he had just begun to realize it. He had to tell them how he felt, as hard as it would be he needed for them to know.

Wufei watched silently as the teen fought an inner battle. He could see the emotions play across the face as Paul struggled to face his dilemma. He knew from first hand experience how hard that could be.

Decision made Paul chose his words carefully. "Sally, Wufei, I have something I needs ta say. Please let me finish before yer say's anythin." He took a deep breath and looked at both his guardians. Seeing the encouragement in their eyes he took the plunge. "I knows I haven't been living with yer both for all that long but during the time I have been with yer I have never felt more loved and wanted. All my life all I have known is hate, anger and being used. My real dad used me ta get money ta feed his habit. Hate and anger were always wiv me cause I didn't bring home enough credits ta keep him happy. When I joined the gang it was a different hate, anger and feeling of being used. I hated myself fer lettin others use my body, I was angry at myself fer having ta let others fuck me so as I could eat. I was hurt and angry at the whole damn colony fer dealin me this hand. I wanted ta know why me? What was it I had done ta deserve this life? Then Duo came along and things changed a little. He taught us all how ta like ourselves, how ta do what we had to to survive and not beat ourselves up 'cause of it. I guess in a sense he taught us all that we weren't the low down rats a lot of people would say we was, that if we tried hard enough we could claw our way outta this miserable life." Paul paused for a moment and drew a shaky breath.

"When Duo got sick we began ta understand just how much he meant to us all. That fer the first time someone actually had cared fer us as human beings. He taught us not ta be afraid ta love ourselves cause once we learnt ta do that then others would love us too. It took me a while and I'll be frank here, I wasn't ready ta trust either of yer at first. What ya was offering seemed to be too good ta be true and I was always waitin fer it ta be taken away again, afta all everythin else had been. But now I knows different. I guess what I'm trying ta tell yer both is that fer the first time in my miserable life I feel happy, loved and wanted and just wants yer to know that, that and I trusts yer both." Paul looked shyly from one to the other as he tried to gauge their reactions to his long speech. He needn't have worried.

Sally's eyes shone with tears. "Oh Paul. I know how difficult that must have been for you but believe me when I tell you that Wufei and I are proud to have you living with us. We love you Paul and I for one don't intend to sit back and let you go. You are a part of our family for as long as you want to be."

Wufei moved a little closer. "I am proud to call you my son."

Paul sat stunned at Wufei's simple statement.

Sally smiled at Paul and gestured to Wufei to continue. Paul stared at the pair. There was more?

"Paul, I know Sally and I have legally adopted you but now I fully intend to make us all a family in every true sense of the word."

Paul's eyes widened. "Huh?"

"I have asked Sally to marry me."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

[1] Betadine Solution: This is a strong form of antiseptic used in hospitals for wound site cleansing and also to swab the areas to be operated on in surgery. It's a brownish yellow in color and can sting.