Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ United Hearts ❯ Chapter 4

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys. They belong to their respective copyright companies. I do however own Shane, Paul, Colin, Mickey, Benny, Toby and any other unfamiliar characters. I also own the plot if you can call it that.

Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4x3, 5+S

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Angst, Yaoi, Shonen-ai, violence, language, references to rape, sap, blood, Death (not one of the boys), Lemon/Lime, medical stuff, and any other weird thing that comes out of my head.... be afraid...

Notes: This is the sequel to "Lost Souls." While it is not necessary to read "Lost Souls" first I do recommend it otherwise some of the occurrences may not make sense. The references to medical procedures, medical reports, autopsies etc. are entirely based on my own pathetic knowledge of such and so I apologise in advance for any incorrectness contained there in. :)

" United Hearts "

Aug. 2002 ShenLong

Chapter 4

The wizened man looked up as the door opened, a smile crinkled his face as he recognized the small boy.

"Hi Mr. Warton."

"Hello there Andy."

"Charlie said there was an e mail fer me."

"That's right, came in a couple of days ago."

Mr. Warton kept a small Pawn Shop in the poorer districts of L2. It wasn't a flash business by any means but somehow he managed to survive. During the years he had built up a friendship with the street rats. Most of them brought the stuff they had pilfered to his shop and he exchanged the goods for money or something else that they needed. It worked for both sides and Warton's business somehow continued to exist and so the rats ate. He also offered them the use of his computer to send e mails from time to time and keep in touch with other members that had moved away or been lucky enough to score a more permanent home.

Andy smiled. Warton waved for him to continue through to the back where the computer sat. He pulled up the e mail program and clicked on his own little folder. The screen changed and presented him with the letter from Shane.

Quickly he scanned through then sat back to contemplate what Shane's words meant. Making his mind up he reached for the keyboard and began to type.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heero looked up as he heard the soft fall of footsteps approaching him. "All check out?"

"Yeah, it's all workin properly."

Heero returned to the screen and rapidly typed. Several monitors around the small room lit up and images came into view.

Duo checked each monitor as Heero called out the locations.

"Entry way?"

"Check"

"Main room 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5 & 6?"

"Check all in main room."

"Sitting room?"

"Check"

Office?"

"Check"

"Waiting room?"

"Check"

"Bathroom?"

"Check"

"Bedroom?"

"Huh?"

Heero snickered.

Duo looked up into his partners teasing eyes. "Ya getting to be a right clown Heero." he said with his hands on his hips. "Although now that you mention it maybe we should put cameras in the bedrooms."

"I didn't know you were into voyeurism koi."

"Ya know me Heero, I'll give anything a go. 'Specially if it means I get to watch with you." he gave his lover a saucy wink.

Heero shook his head, "You're insatiable." he laughed.

"Well I ain't heard any complaints yet." and he reached for Heero's lips.

"And you wont either." replied Heero as he kissed back. "I think however we will leave it for the motion sensors and infra red cameras to keep watch in the bedrooms."

"Whatever you say boss."

"Right I think that pretty much covers this lot. Lets go down and check on the detectors."

"I'm right behind you lover." said Duo.

Heero snickered, "You just want to watch my ass."

"Yup."

Wondering to himself just how he had managed to end up with the enigma of Duo Maxwell as his partner Heero headed for the main entry to the building. Duo duly followed behind with his eyes glued to Heero's ass as promised.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Lady Une looked up as the knock sounded on her door. "Enter." The door opened to admit Wufei and Sally. "You wished to speak with me?"

Sally and Wufei sat facing Une, Wufei placed a folder on her desk. She looked up with a question in her eyes.

"Its the file on the bodies from L2. I have researched as much as I can and there still seems to be a missing link. Sally agrees with me."

Une rubbed her temples and sighed. " There is definitely more to this. So what do you think Sally?"

Sally twisted her hands in her lap. "There is something there that is causing these deaths but the reports you have are inconclusive. The departments on L2 don't have access to the more involved techniques and instruments we have here. I would like to investigate further but I will need one of the bodies for that."

"Hmmm. I agree with you Sally, however.... the bodies have already been disposed of."

"I thought that may be the case." Sally shrugged her shoulders. "I still feel there is something more sinister to this though and we need to investigate further."

"I spoke with Maxwell about this case." said Wufei. "I thought he may be able to help as he comes from L2. He cannot shed any more light on it at the moment but..." he stopped to think for a second. "But it seems that Maxwell showed the report to Shane and Shane recognized one of the descriptions as matching that of a friend of his."

Une's eyes opened a little wider. "Really?"

"Seems Shane keeps in touch with some of the kids back on L2 and he had an e mail a few days ago telling him that two of his friends had gone missing. The fourth victim in the file appears to match with that of one of the pair."

"But why? How would a child that is one minute okay turn up dead a few days later?"

"That's why I need to have access to a body." said Sally.

"There's more." Wufei said quietly.

Both Une and Sally raised their eyebrows. "More?"

"Yes. I haven't told you this yet Sally. I apologize but I haven't had the chance to speak with you on this until now."

"Look just cut with the apologies and tell me what's happening." Sally gruffed.

"Paul had an e mail as well from another friend yesterday. It seems that one of his friends has disappeared."

"Another street kid?" asked Une.

"Yes. A boy by the name of Dave. Light brown hair, pale green eyes, about 140cm, around 13 years old. He went out to try to get some money and never came back."

The conversation was interrupted by the ringing of the vid phone. Une pressed the button and picked up the receiver not wanting the conversation to be spread around the office as she never knew just who it would be on the other end. Her brows knitted together as the words hit her ears. "I see. When?..... No. no... That's okay. Please tell them to keep it there, I will make arrangements to have it transported to earth immediately. NO! Tell them not to touch a thing. Okay, thank you." She replaced the receiver and stared at the two pairs of questioning eyes before her.

"I think you may have your body Sally."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Meeting up with Paul for lunch Shane noticed the other boy pre occupied. His own mind was in overdrive with the events of the previous evening still fresh and he needed to talk to Paul.

Paul's mind kept going over what Wufei had said about the bodies from L2. He still hadn't gotten a look at the folder but then all thought of that had gone when he received the news that one of his friends had gone missing. He looked up to see Shane approaching.

"Hey Shane, got a minute?"

"Sure buddy, what's on ya mind?"

"I had another e mail. One of me mates Dave never came back from the beat other night an no one seems ta know where he's gone."

Shane felt as if a bucket of freezing water had been poured over him.

Seeing the distress flash into his friends eyes Paul's brow furrowed. "What? Ya know somethin bout it?"

Shane shook his head. "I'm not sure Paul." With a sigh he decided to tell Paul all about the previous evenings happenings. "Heero an Duo was askin some questions last night bout some of me mates. Seems a few unexplained deaths have been turnin up back on L2."

Paul interrupted him then. "Yeah I know bout that. Wufei and Sally was talkin to me bout it too but they wouldn't say much an I wasn't allowed to have a look in the file they had."

"It don't feel right ta me Paul. A couple of me friends ave gone missin and when I ad a look at the report one of the descriptions matched that of Kev."

"I ad e mail last night tellin me that Dave has gone missin. He went out ta work a couple of customers but ain't been seen since." Paul looked up visibly distressed. "Ya don't think...."

Shane placed his hand on Paul's arm. "I don't know what ta think at the moment but I will let Heero an Duo know tonight."

"Somethin's going on, Somethin bad I can feel it." said Paul.

"Yeah I can too buddy. I think right now though the best thing we can do is ta keep Heero, Duo and Wufei aware of what we know. As Heero said it don't matter how small it might be the clue to the whole thing."

Smiling gratefully at his friend Paul nodded in response. "That's what I thought so I already told Wufei bout Dave."

"Good. I'll call ya tonight an let ya know if there's anythin new."

"Thanks Shane."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

In the dim corner of a seedy looking bar two men were engrossed in conversation.

"The tests are all finished and everything is going ahead perfectly."

"Good. What about the delivery boys?"

"They are already in position."

"And the courier?"

"In the final stages of preparation."

"Excellent." said the darker of the two as he rubbed his hands together in anticipation. "I don't need to remind you that there are to be no loose ends."

"No. All will be taken care of. Once the package is delivered and confirmed I will finish the tidying up myself."

"Then I shall take my leave. I will contact you again in six days to check on the proceedings."

They shook hands and left the bar, splitting to go in opposite directions.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heero knocked on Une's door and waited for the intrusion to be granted.

"Enter."

He shut the door behind him and walking to the desk placed a folder upon it. Une looked up as she opened the file. "I take it everything is working?"

"Hai. Duo and I double checked it all today."

"What about the rest of the security?"

"The ID tags are all being processed and logged into the computer data banks as we speak. All personnel as well as the visiting dignitaries will be issued a security pass."

"So far so good."

"All surveillance equipment is functioning normally as are the infra red, motion detectors and the bugs."

"Guards?"

"All briefed and continuing to go through the exercises each day."

"Then that is excellent work Heero. I'm sure we can all rest assured that the various heads will be safely guarded. Thank you."

"Hn. Just doing my job."

"Heero?"

"Hai?"

"This case that Wufei is looking into."

"Hai?"

"He told me that he had informed both yourself and Duo of the circumstances."

"Hai, that is correct." Heero cocked an eyebrow. He wondered just where this conversation was heading.

Une thought for a moment. "After this convention I would like both Duo and yourself to assist him in determining just what is happening to cause these deaths."

"Hai. Understood. If there is nothing else I will be going."

"Yes. Thank you again and please let Duo know as well."

"Hai I will." Heero turned and left Une's office.

The vid phone beeped and Une answered it. "I see.... Thanks. Have them transport it to the medical section of the Preventer Headquarters, I will meet them there." With a click she disconnected the call and then placed another.

"Sally Po speaking."

"Sally, the shuttle has arrived and the cargo is being taken directly to the medical centre. I will meet you there in fifteen minutes."

"Right. I'm on my way."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The small truck pulled to a stop and the two uniformed men jumped out. Seeing Une waiting for them they saluted and then opened the rear of the truck to withdraw the contents.

Sally watched as the trolley's legs folded out and the two men wheeled the plastic encased figure towards them. "Where would you like it?"

"Follow me." Sally turned and lead them down a long hallway to a small room. "Just pop it on there." She nodded in the direction of the stainless steel table that stood in the centre of the room.

"Yes Ma'am"

Dismissed, the men returned to their vehicle, pleased to have gotten rid of their unwelcome burden.

Une donned a gown and mask before joining Sally in the small room. Sally looked up at her over the top of her own mask. She switched on the small tape recorder and began to unzip the bag. She checked the number on the bag against the number on the sheet and confirmed they matched. Completely opening the bag she checked the ID tag on the toe.

"Body ID number 338314 confirmed. Paper states male Caucasian, approximately 12 to 13 years old. Found in rubbish tipster on L2 locality sector 146-4." Sally looked up at the body and gasped.

"What is it Sally?"

"This... this child.... he looks like the one Paul said was missing."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heero walked back into the office he shared with Wufei and Duo just as Wufei's phone began to ring. He walked across to his koi who was currently immersed in the computer.

So absorbed in his task was Duo that he didn't feel Heero come up behind him until he felt warm breath tickle his ear. He jumped. "Geeze give a person a heart attack why don'cha."

Heero snickered. "What is it that has the man of stealth so absorbed that I could sneak up on him?" He glanced over Duo's shoulder at the screen and felt himself go beet red.

Now it was Duo's turn to snigger. "That will teach ya to sneak up on me Yuy."

Heero looked again... turning his head slightly one way and then the other as if trying to make out if the pictures on the screen were actually real, not to mention physically possible.

"Just thought I would do a little research." Duo offered as he watched his lovers face taking in the scene before him.

"Research huh? I don't think that Lady Une exactly had researching different positions for making love in mind. Can you actually do that!" and Heero pointed to a particularly awkward looking position.

Duo laughed. "I think you would need to be really flexible for that one..... Mind you Trowa could probably manage it." An evil glint appeared in an amethyst eye.

"No Duo."

"Aww why not?"

"I don't want to be the one who has to explain to the doctors just how they pulled those muscles."

Duo sniggered again. "Who said they would try it? I just think it would be nice to share some possibilities with them."

Before Heero had a chance to say anything else Duo's fingers moved rapidly over the keyboard and the mail was sent.

"You're evil you know that."

"Yeah but ya love me just the same. Face it Yuy, I keep your life from becoming dull an boring."

"Hai, I have to agree there." and Heero stole a tender kiss. "You about ready to head home?"

"Yup. Just need to finish off a couple of things and I'll be right with you."

Wufei replaced the receiver and looked at his companions. "Yuy, Maxwell. Before you depart do you think you could come with me and check something out?"

"Sure Wuffy, What is it?"

"Maxwell how many times do I need to remind you it's WUFEI!"

Duo grinned. "Yeah, yeah... I know but ya bite every time."

Deciding that ignorance was probably the best course of action to take with the braided one Wufei sighed loudly. "Another body has turned up and Une had it sent to earth for Sally to check. It arrived a short while ago."

"Yeah...."

"Sally wants us to have a look at it..... One of Paul's mates went missing and she believes it may be him."

Duo visibly paled, Heero's mouth set into a grim line. "Hai, lets go then."

The three Preventers left the office and made their way to the medical facility. Une greeted them and passed out masks and gowns. "We don't know what we are dealing with here as yet so all precautions must be taken."

Once suitably 'attired' Sally admitted them to the small room. Wufei went straight to the body and gazed down at the features of the small boy. The thin body with its tattered clothing and matted light brown hair lay there as if asleep. Wufei felt tears burn hot at the back of his eyes. He knew there were funds and charities set up after the war to help the colonies but things take time and time wasn't on the side of the street kids of L2.

Sally placed her hand on the small of Wufei's back instinctively knowing the Chinese man needed some form of contact to still the turmoil in his soul.

"It looks as if this is Paul's friend." he said softly. Then turning, "Any idea as to the cause of death?"

"I haven't begun my autopsy yet but I'm betting it will be the same as the others. I need confirmation of the body ID first which is why I called you. Wufei I know this is going to be hard but I need for Paul to come in and positively identify the remains."

Wufei was torn. He knew Sally was right but his parental instincts told him not to subject the youth to this. Seeing the obvious conflict Heero moved to Wufei's side.

"Duo and I will bring Paul and Shane in. If Shane is here as well it might help."

Wufei nodded. "Okay Yuy. Paul should be home doing his homework. If you can fetch him and bring Shane too I would be grateful."

Duo smiled over his mask. "Don't worry Wu, We will handle it."

Heero and Duo left to collect Shane and Paul. Wufei continued to stare at the cadaver and would have stayed there if Sally had not intervened.

"Come on Wufei, lets get a coffee while Heero and Duo are gone."

Nodding Wufei followed her out of the small room.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~