Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ United Hearts ❯ Chapter 5

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys. They belong to their respective copyright companies. I do however own Shane, Paul, Colin, Mickey, Benny, Toby and any other unfamiliar characters. I also own the plot if you can call it that.

Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4x3, 5+S

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Angst, Yaoi, Shonen-ai, violence, language, references to rape, sap, blood, Death (not one of the boys), Lemon/Lime, medical stuff, and any other weird thing that comes out of my head.... be afraid...

Notes: This is the sequel to "Lost Souls." While it is not necessary to read "Lost Souls" first I do recommend it otherwise some of the occurrences may not make sense. The references to medical procedures, medical reports, autopsies etc. are entirely based on my own pathetic knowledge of such and so I apologise in advance for any incorrectness contained there in. :)

" United Hearts "

Aug. 2002 ShenLong

Chapter 5

Paul let himself into the apartment and helped himself to a snack from the kitchen. He dumped his books in his room, he didn't feel like starting on his homework right away. Wandering back out to the lounge room he flicked on the TV and checked the computer for e mail. Finding nothing for him he fetched a drink of milk from the 'fridge and sat down to watch some anime.

He had just gotten involved with the show when the vid phone rang. Grumbling to himself he got up and answered the call. The screen fuzzed and then cleared, It was Wufei.

"Paul, Heero is on his way over to pick you up and bring you to the Preventer Headquarters."

Paul felt his heart give a funny leap. "Nuthing wrong is there? I mean Sally an you are both okay?"

"Yes we are okay. No Paul its nothing like that. I ... we need your assistance with something that's all. Heero should be there soon so please be ready, he will explain more on the way."

The screen went blank as the call was terminated. The all too familiar butterflies began to dance in Paul's stomach. His thoughts whirled in his mind, What could Wufei want with his help? Why him? Just what was going on? He sighed and grabbed his jacket then sat before the TV to wait for Heero all thoughts of the program gone from his head as he watched the screen with unseeing eyes.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Heero drove as Duo thought. Tossing the ideas around in his head. Why were the rats of L2 showing up dead? What was causing their organs to stop functioning? A familiar scene was tugging at the back of his mind but he couldn't quite get it to come forward. He frowned as he battled the locked doors of his subconscious.

Heero glanced across at his koi so deeply locked into his thoughts. "What is it Duo?" he asked as he placed his hand on Duo's thigh.

"I'm not sure Heero. There seems to be something familiar about all of this but...." Duo suddenly gasped as the memory burst forth.

"What koi? What is it?" Heero asked with concern.

"This is so similar to the plague that went through L2 years ago. The one that killed Solo and a lot of my other friends."

"Hn. I see. But Duo the plague that went through L2 before killed children and adults alike. This case has only shown up children with the same symptoms, no adults."

"Yeah I know.... Jus seems fishy to me."

"Mention it to Sally when we get back."

"Yeah I will." and Duo gave his lovers hand a squeeze.

Soon they pulled into the familiar driveway and Duo got out to fetch Shane.

Shane looked up from his books as he heard Duo calling his name. "In here Duo."

Duo stopped in his tracks at the doorway and had to hold back a chuckle. The books and papers were piled and scattered around Shane's desk. Underneath all that mess he knew a brown haired teen was hiding. "Yer gonna come out or do I hafta risk life and limb to find ya under that lot?"

A pair of brown eyes peeped over the top of an atlas. "Please rescue me.... They got me an won't let me leave...." came the muffled reply.

Duo laughed. "Come on Shane, break time."

At that announcement a body followed a head as Shane extradited himself from the self imposed mountain of information. "Great! I can always do with a break."

"Well it ain't so much a break as we need yer help. Come on, Heero's waitin in the car for us."

Shane looked puzzled but grabbed his jacket and followed Duo back out to the waiting car and Heero. Climbing in he fastened his seat belt then asked his question. "So where we goin?"

"Hn. To pick up Paul and then back to Preventer Headquarters."

"What's going on Heero?"

"We need some help and Paul and you may just be able to give it."

"Oh. Okay." Shane thought for a moment then decided that now was probably as good a time as any to mention what Paul had told him earlier. "Ya know the case ya was talkin to me about yesterday?"

Duo cocked his head to listen. "Yeah."

"Well Paul was sayin he had an e mail from a mate to tell him one of their old gang ad gone out to work an never came back. I dunno anythin else but thought ya should know."

"Thanks Shane. As a matter of fact that's why we are on our way to get Paul. Wufei filled us in earlier but it seems we have had another body turn up. Sally had it brought to earth."

Shane had a bad feeling about this.

"She thinks it may be Paul's friend."

Shane paled. "Does Paul know?"

"Iie. We need him to confirm identity."

Duo took over the conversation. "We thought if you were with us as well it may be a little easier on him."

Shane nodded. Poor Paul.

Heero drove in silence and pulled into the parking area of Wufei's apartment. "I'll go get him." offered Duo and was out of the car before anyone could object. He returned moments later with Paul in tow.

Paul slid into the seat next to Shane and looked quizzically at his friend. Heero started up the car and headed back to the Preventer Headquarters.

"What's going on?" Paul asked as Heero slid the vehicle back into the traffic.

Duo turned and met the blue gaze. "We think we may have found ya friend that was missin on L2. We need you to come to the Headquarters to..." Duo couldn't bring himself to say it.

"He's dead ain't he?"

Duo nodded and Shane reached to wrap his arms around his friend.

Paul stared stonily out of the window.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Quatre was sitting in his office attempting to catch up on a little paper work while Trowa was busy with Toby and Benny helping with their project. Toby and Benny both attended the small 'school' that was set up on the estate. Quatre had renovated a small building some time ago and employed a tutor so all the Maguanac's children could attend and receive some form of education. Mickey and Colin both attended and so naturally Toby and Benny did as well. At first Quatre intended to hire a private tutor for them but Trowa had quietly pointed out that both boys would benefit more from attending the local 'school' and mixing with their friends. Quatre had seen the logic in this and so enrolled them.

Toby was a naturally bright student. Even though he came from such a dark background and had never had any formal schooling he was a keen learner and his thirst for knowledge knew no bounds. He learnt to read and write with surprising speed. The tutor spent as much time as he could spare with the four from L2 in an attempt to help them catch up with the other students of their own age.

Benny was a different story. Although a bright child and naturally inquisitive he was also a dreamer and much preferred to go for little trips in his mind than concentrate on algebra or history. He proved to be quite a challenge to educate and the tutor discussed this with Trowa. Trowa could sense a restlessness in the little boy and suggested that the tutor might want to try a more hands on approach with Benny. From his observations on the boy it seemed when something was tangible and results could be seen rapidly then Benny was kept interested and learned faster.

To be honest Benny couldn't see the logic behind learning all this 'if x+y = (y x b) - a what is the value of y?' business at all. As long as he could add, subtract, multiply and divide then that should be enough. Besides who needed to learn all that stuff if all you wanted to do was work with animals? Benny shared a similar rapport with Trowa in that respect. Animals just seemed to love him and he they.

Sitting at the large table in what Quatre had had turned into a study for the two Trowa watched the boy's faces as they twisted with concentration. Amongst the mess on the table they were busy building their current school project. They were studying man's first explorations into space and their assignment was to research and make a model of one of the earlier space shuttles.

Toby had used the computer to search through the many Internet sites and come up with a surprisingly large amount of information. They could have gone to one of the Winner companies and studied the blue prints there as the basics for the early shuttles and the current ones were similar but Quatre wouldn't allow that. It wasn't fair to the rest of the students and he was determined the boys would learn to be able to utilize their own resources and become independent individuals.

Benny had scrounged up the materials they were likely to need and now they were busy building a mini version of the space shuttle that had been known as Colombia. Trowa watched as Toby secured the tail section with glue, managing to stick his fingers to it in the process. Benny was busy finishing off the wings in readiness to be attached.

"Toby! Be careful will ya." said Benny.

"I didn mean to stick me fingers to it." replied Toby as he attempted to pull his fingers away.

"Watch it... Yer will pull the whole thing apart!" growled Benny.

"I'm sorry." whined the little boy.

"Here let me help." and Trowa took Toby's hand and the shuttle and began to gently pry the offending digits from the tail section.

"Thanks Trowa."

"No problem. I think you should go and wash your hands though before you stick to anything else. In fact I suggest we pack everything up now as it's nearly your bed time."

Grinning, Toby jumped down from his seat and snuck over towards Benny. With a cry of "Arrrggghhhh!" he shoved his sticky fingers in Benny's face causing the other boy to yelp in surprise and drop the wing he was working on.

"I'll get yer fer that!" he screamed and jumped down to chase Toby out of the room and into the bathroom.

Chuckling softly to himself Trowa replaced the cap on the glue and began to tidy up the mess. He set the Shuttle body down carefully for the glue to dry and placed the nearly finished wings on the high shelf of the bookcase so they wouldn't get damaged. Then he went in the direction the two scamps had vanished.

Freshly bathed and wearing warm pajamas the two little ones kissed Trowa and Quatre goodnight. Switching off the light Quatre smiled as the boys snuggled up together and drifted off to sleep. He felt an arm grasp him around the waist and stared into his lover's emerald depths.

"They look so sweet and innocent when they're asleep." he murmured softly.

"Yeah, who would believe they could be such terrorists when awake." muttered Trowa.

Quatre swatted the Latin. "You know you don't really mean that."

"Reminds me of a certain other I know. All sweet and innocent when asleep but a little devil at other times." whispered Trowa huskily as his lips began a trail down Quatre's silky neck.

"Now who's playing the devil?" sighed Quatre as he tilted his head to allow Trowa better access.

"Ahh but at least I don't just tease..... I follow through."

"Hmmmm... that you do my love." Suddenly Quatre giggled.

"What's so funny?"

"I have an e mail from Duo."

"And?" More teasing kisses.

"Why don't you come and see for yourself? I haven't opened it yet as Duo addressed it to both of us."

"Uh oh... that sounds ominous."

"Don't be like that." laughed Quatre, "Duo has sent us some pretty funny e mails at times."

Trowa groaned as the memory of some of Duo's e mails burst forth. "I think I would like to forget a few of them."

Quatre pulled away and took Trowa's hand. "Come on lets go see, we can play later."

Trowa allowed himself to be led back to Quatre's study and leaned over the desk behind Quatre as Quatre sat and opened the e mail.

"Oh my......"

Quatre's face went crimson as the screen opened up before him and his eyes nearly left their sockets. "Trust Duo..."

Trowa managed to restrain a chuckle as he took in the various positions displayed. "Now that one looks like it could be fun." he said and pointed to the screen.

"Trowa!"

"What?" said the lanky man, "I think we could managed that one."

Quatre tilted his head slightly. "You think so?"

"Let me take you to bed and see."

Saving the e mail to a secure folder Quatre powered down the PC and followed his lover to their bedroom still blushing at the thought of those erotic positions Duo had e mailed him. Shaking his head he reminded himself to send Duo an e mail back asking him to restrain himself in future.... and let him know if the position known as 43 could actually be accomplished.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Arriving at the Preventer headquarters Paul couldn't help the feeling of dread that began to grow in his stomach. The four exited the building and Heero led the way to the medical section. Shane fell into step beside Paul and Duo brought up the rear. Heero's pace slowed a little as they approached the swinging doors with their bold red letters.

"Authorized Personnel Only" glared back down at them and Paul shivered involuntarily. Shane automatically took his hand as they passed through the doors. Stopping outside the third door on the left Heero spoke. "We need to put on masks and a gown before we can go into the room beyond this. We have no idea what has caused the ....." he hesitated then continued, " We do not know what we are dealing with and so precautions are very necessary."

Shane and Paul nodded then followed Heero into the small room. They each took a mask and gown. Had the situation not been so serious Duo would have been laughing at the sight. They looked like a bunch of misfit doctors. He did however make a mental note to get a couple of these gowns and masks for use at home. He doubted very much that Heero would object to his little idea of play involving 'doctors and nurses'.

Sally, Wufei and Une returned just as the last mask was being put on. Wufei immediately went to Paul. "I know this is going to be hard for you Paul. I admire your courage." and he gave the boy's shoulder a squeeze of reassurance.

"Are we all ready?" asked Sally.

"Ready as we ever will be." quipped Duo trying to lighten the mood but failing.

The somber party made their way back into the room. Sally led Paul gently to the table. "I will uncover the face, all I need for you to do is take a look and let me know if you recognize the person okay?"

Paul nodded and reached for Shane's hand, clasping it tightly he indicated to Sally that he was ready.

Sally moved back up to the table and taking hold of the sheet that now covered the body she gently lifted it and pulled it back.

Paul's eyes opened wide in shock, his grip on Shane's hand tightened to the point where the bones were getting ready to snap. A sharp intake of breath as Paul forced himself to breathe. Suddenly the room began to spin, the bile rose up from his stomach and the face before him started to swim. Distantly he heard a voice call out "Catch him" then all went black.

Duo and Wufei were behind Paul in a second and caught the unconscious boy before he could hit the ground. Prizing the death hold from his hand Shane stood and watched as Wufei picked up his friend and carried him outside, Sally hot on his heels.

Duo shook his head, "Poor kid. No one should have to witness this sort of thing."

Heero moved behind his koi and placed his arm about his waist and pulled him close. Duo leaned into the comfort of the embrace.

Une pulled the sheet back over the body. "Let us check on the boy." she said quietly and the three followed her from the room.

Sally had instructed Wufei to place Paul on a bed in a room a couple of doors down in the infirmary. She had raised his legs and checked his blood pressure. Looking up she locked gazes with a rather worried looking Shane. "He's all right Shane. Just a fainting spell. I'm not surprised, it was a big shock to him." She picked up some smelling salts from the cabinet and uncorking the bottle passed the bottle under Paul's nose.

As the offending smell hit his olfactory system Paul's eyes opened wide and he began to cough and splutter. Pushing the bottle away he called out "God what is that stuff? It stinks! Yer tryin ta poison me or somefin?"

"Welcome back Paul." said Sally as she proceeded to check his eyes with her little flashlight. "Just lie there for a few moments and let your body get back to normal."

Sighing Paul lay back down. He did feel a bit wobbly and his limbs were like jelly, not to mention he felt cold and clammy as well. He felt the nausea return as his mind decided to be helpful and supply him with the vision of the dead boys face again.

Reaching for a plastic bowl Sally passed it to Paul who proceeded to empty the contents of his stomach. Rubbing his back soothingly she waited until he was finished and then handed him a small paper towel. She removed the bowl and passed him a glass of water. "Better?"

"Yeah ... thanks."

The rest of the party entered the room and Une looked at Sally. Shane moved across to Paul and put his arm around the teen. "Was it him Paul? Was it Dave?" he asked quietly.

Paul nodded. "Yeah.... It's im. No mistakin his face." He tried to make light of the situation but the crack in his voice gave him away.

"S'okay Paul."

"Why? ... Why would he be dead?" Paul shook his head. "He was one of the most gentlest kids I knew, he wouldn't have urt a fly."

"I don't have the answer for you Paul but rest assured I intend to find out." said Sally.

Paul turned his watery blue eyes to his foster mother. "Thanks. I know yer will. Both you and Wufei."

"I think you should take him home." said Une.

"Hai." said Heero

"You may as well go too Wufei, I will be awhile here yet and Paul shouldn't be left on his own." said Sally.

Wufei nodded and helped Paul down. With Shane on one side and Wufei on the other they managed to get Paul out to the parking area and seated inside Wufei's car.

"Ya sure you don't want Heero and I to run ya home Wufei?" asked Duo.

"No we will be fine. Sally can get a lift with Une or call me but knowing that onna she will stay here all night."

"Okay then." Duo leaned into the car and gave Paul a kiss to the cheek. "We're thinking of ya man."

"Thanks Duo." replied Paul.

"Hn. We will find out what it is that is going on Paul." Heero said in his quiet tone.

Paul smiled weakly and then stared into the brown eyes of Shane. "Thanks Shane."

Shane reached in and squeezed his friends hand. "No problem buddy. That's what families are for. Jus take it easy wont ya." It was more an order than a request. Shane pressed a kiss to his friends forehead and left.

Wufei climbed in and stared the engine, backing out he straightened up and headed for home.

Heero, Duo and Shane climbed into their own vehicle and followed suit. They hadn't driven far when Shane remembered he hadn't told Duo or Heero about the e mail he had received from Andy. "Hey Heero."

"Hai?"

"I got an e mail back from Andy today. Seems that Kev an Rick went missin bout fourteen days ago. They went out ta pick some pockets but never came back. They was last seen headin for the more richer parts of L2."

"Any idea which sector?" asked Duo.

"146-8 I think. That's where most of us used ta go."

"Hn. When we get home I will need to go through all the information again."

Duo growled. He knew once Heero got stuck on that computer there was no way Duo would get him to leave until he had some information.

Hearing the low growl and feeling the disturbance coming from Duo, Heero knew exactly what his koi was thinking. He reached across and ran his hand lightly up Duo's thigh, he felt the small tremor pass through the skin and encouraged he continued his gentle caress. Pulling up at a set of traffic lights he leaned across and whispered, "I promise not to spend more than a couple of hours on this tonight."

Duo moaned softly. "You better not Heero... especially after teasin me like this."

"In case ya not aware of it the light is green Heero." snickered Shane from the back.

Blushing like a kid who had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar Heero put the car into gear and eased forward once more.

Duo lost himself in his thoughts. Turning to study Heero's profile in the light of the street lamps he spoke. "Has anyone thought to ask Trowa or Quatre if they know anything about this?"

"Hn. No."

"Maybe we should. After all Toby and Benny have mates on L2 as well, so do Colin and Mickey. I wonder if they have heard anythin."

"Give them a call when we get back. I'm sure Une won't mind and neither will Wufei. I know it's Preventer business and classified but they may be able to shed some light on things."

Duo sat back again. "Okay I'll do that."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~