Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ United Hearts ❯ Chapter 7

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys. They belong to their respective copyright companies. I do however own Shane, Paul, Colin, Mickey, Benny, Toby and any other unfamiliar characters. I also own the plot if you can call it that.

Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4x3, 5+S

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Angst, Yaoi, Shonen-ai, violence, language, references to rape, sap, blood, Death (not one of the boys), Lemon/Lime, medical stuff, and any other weird thing that comes out of my head.... be afraid...

Notes: This is the sequel to "Lost Souls." While it is not necessary to read "Lost Souls" first I do recommend it otherwise some of the occurrences may not make sense. The references to medical procedures, medical reports, autopsies etc. are entirely based on my own pathetic knowledge of such and so I apologise in advance for any incorrectness contained there in. :)

" United Hearts "

Aug. 2002 ShenLong

Chapter 7

Senator Evans entered the library and placed his glass of wine upon the large desk. He reached for the sheaf of papers that contained the contracts and parliamentary guidelines for L2. Taking a few he sat by the window to study them a bit more.

Picking up the glass by the stem he swirled the rich red fluid around before taking a sip and returning to the papers and proposals he hoped to present to the convention. His colony needed these contracts to bring itself out of the economic slump it currently struggled with. If he could succeed then there would be many more jobs created and the future would at last hold some hope.

His brow furrowed as he read through the various papers, summarizing each one in his head. It wasn't going to be an easy task by any means and he knew he would have a fight on his hands. The other colonies were a lot more prosperous than L2 and companies were reluctant to deal with his colony due to the reputation it had from the homeless and street dwellers. He had to make them see that by providing the colony with the necessary trade and commercialism the colony would improve and the homeless benefit to the point where there would no longer be any need for anyone to be living on the streets.

So intent on studying the information he failed to notice the shadow that slipped into the room until it was too late.

Suddenly a hand grabbed his hair and yanked his head back exposing his throat to the gleam of the knife that quickly sliced across. The glass tumbled from his hand as he instinctively went to grab at the intruder. The papers fluttered to the floor as his other hand followed the first. A scream tried to force its way from his throat but only a gurgle managed to escape as his hands connected with the hole that now represented his neck.

Crimson fluid spilled forth covering his hands and racing down his chest to mingle with the red of the wine as his world began to fade.

The shadow watched as the body slumped and gave a few convulsive twitches before stilling completely. He moved forward and checked for a pulse as the red liquid slowed to an ooze. Satisfied he drew his fingers over the eyelids to close them and reached into his pocket to retrieve a small communicator. Flipping the item open he punched in a code.

"Taylor here."

"Termination complete" said the assassin.

"Disposal?"

"Commencing now."

"Contact again once disposal is complete."

"Roger that."

"Taylor out."

The man flipped the comm. unit closed and studied the body then with a sigh he began to collect the papers and replace them on the desk. He picked up the fallen glass and stood it alongside the papers. Staring at the stain on the carpet he growled. The blood should remove easily enough but the red wine was going to be a bitch to get out.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Arriving back in their office Duo fetched the paperwork on the security system for the convention while Heero contacted Trowa.

"Here ya go Wuffie." said the American as he dropped down in the chair next to Wufei, "Everything's in there."

Wufei glared at the continued misuse of his name but decided to play Maxwell at his own game. If he didn't get annoyed then eventually Maxwell might give up on his name. He reached for the file and began to flip through it.

Duo brought up the files on the computer and began to explain to Wufei what measures had been taken, where the cameras were located, sensors etc. Wufei nodded as he perused the screen. Yuy and Maxwell had been very thorough.

Trowa's face appeared on the vid screen. "Hey Heero. What can I do for you?"

"Trowa. I need to speak with you in regards to this convention."

"Sure Heero. What seems to be the problem?"

"This case that Duo spoke to you about last night."

"Yes?"

"It's turned out to be a lot more involved than we first thought. Duo and I are heading to L2 in the morning to investigate further."

Trowa's eyes visibly darkened.

"Wufei is taking over the security of the convention but we need back up for him. Trowa.... I hate to ask but can you help out? Preventer will take care of the costs and you will be paid..."

Trowa cut him off. "Yes Heero. Count me in." Knowing his lover was going to attend this was the perfect opportunity for Trowa to be there as well and make sure his koi was safe without Quatre being able to object.

Quatre chose that moment to walk in the small office and caught the tail end of the conversation. He walked up to Trowa. "What's going on? Oh hi Heero."

Heero noticed a slight change to Quatre's normal gait and a thought of last night's conversation with Duo after he had spoken to the blonde flashed through his mind. "Duo and I have been assigned to a case that means we have to go to L2 so Wufei is taking over the job of security. He needs back up so Trowa has kindly agreed to help out."

Quatre looked suitably miffed. "This wouldn't have anything to do with the kids would it?'

"Hai."

"Tell Duo that Benny and Toby don't have any contact with anyone from L2. Mickey and Colin I'm not sure about but I doubt it. Benny was checking with them today, but he didn't think they did either."

"Hn. Thanks, I'll pass that on."

"Ill come to the headquarters tomorrow morning and take up with Wufei if that's okay Heero." Trowa stated.

"That will be fine. I'll let Une know as well."

"Heero...."

"Hai?"

"Good luck and take care of yourselves okay?" said Quatre.

Heero could read the concern in Quatre's eyes. "Hai we will be careful. Oh and Quatre?"

"Yes Heero?"

"I'd say by looking at you that Trowa is flexible."

Quatre to his credit did not go into a spluttering fit, instead he turned bright red. Trowa took over the conversation.

"Tell Duo that position 43 can be accomplished." he winked and then severed the connection.

Heero grinned as the screen faded leaving him with the image of a very embarrassed looking Quatre and a rather smug Trowa.

Duo bounced up to his side. "So Heero is Trowa commin to help Wuffles out?"

"Its WUFEI!" came the roar from across the office.

Heero snickered. "Hai. He will be here tomorrow to go over the plans and familiarize himself." Then pulling Duo closer to him he whispered in the man's ear. "Quatre appears to have pulled a few muscles but Trowa is looking pretty pleased with himself."

Duo grinned. "Told ya."

"Trowa also said to let you know that number 43 can be done."

This time it was Duo's turn to look stunned. "Why that cheeky......" Then quickly recovering his composure as an evil thought flashed through his mind, " Hey Heero, you're pretty flexible ya self, what say we try it? Can't let them have all the fun now can we?"

Heero groaned inwardly as he swatted his playful lover's hand away from his crotch. "Later Duo, we have work to do right now." Then seeing the slightly hurt look on his koi's face he quickly added, "But seeing as how you mention it number 72 looked.... interesting."

The grin slid back into place as Duo stole a kiss. "Thanks koi, I will hold you to that." he said and then bounced back to his own desk to study over the dead boys file again.

Smiling to himself Heero placed the call to Une to let her know that Trowa had agreed to help them out.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Une terminated the call and then looked at Sally. "Trowa Barton will be here in the morning to help Wufei with the security."

"Well at least that's one good point."

Une rubbed her temples. "Yes at least that side of things should be well and truly covered. I just hope that Heero and Duo can find out what's going on up on L2 before we get anymore of these cases."

Sally stared ahead. "That's what I need to talk to you about. I have the lab results on the organ tissues."

Une looked into her friends eyes. "Why do I have the feeling that what you are about to tell me isn't going to be what I want to hear?"

"Ahh you know the system to well. Nothing ever goes as we would like."

"Okay then, tell me what you have found."

"The disease enters the body through the respiratory tract and works through the system from there. Death results somewhere from 60 to 72 hours afterwards give or take a few hours depending on the victims overall general state of health. From what I see the disease is contagious in a similar way to how a cold or flu is. The person has to be in direct contact with the virus to contract it."

Une looked lost. "Do you think you can be a little more plain in what you're saying here." she asked wearily.

Sally smiled. "Sure. In a nutshell the virus can survive in a dormant state within the body tissues of its dead victim for quite some time. To contract the virus you need to directly inhale it from another source. In other words if I had the disease and breathed on you or coughed or whatever and you inhaled part of my expelled air then the chances of you catching it are pretty good providing you inhaled it within minutes of my releasing it. The virus cannot exist for much longer than two or three minutes when exposed to the air... five minutes tops I would say and it's ability declines with each second over the three minute mark."

"So where the hell did this come from in the first place? And what is it doing here now?" asked Une.

"That I can't answer you. It hasn't been seen for ages. We do know that rats can carry the virus without any harm to themselves. Their metabolism or something doesn't provide the necessary environment for it to set up shop but it can be passed on to humans via the rats."

Une still looked a little bewildered as she took all this in.

"Once I knew what this was I looked up some old medical files from way back. It seems a long time ago when science was still in its infancy and rats were used a lot for research this virus first made its appearance. A couple of lab technicians were found dead a few days apart after working with the rats. The level of knowledge back then wasn't as good as it is now and so they were a little confused as to what was going on. Give them their due though, they did manage to track it down but not before a couple of other people died in the process."

"What happened?"

"Once they knew what it was they immediately destroyed all the rats and fumigated the place. Since then there has only been the odd case here and there to give any indication that the virus was still around and certainly not enough to warrant taking action."

"Until now."

Sally watched Une's face as the information settled in.

"Why on earth would this virus start to show up now? And why on L2?" said Une.

"I really don't know, but rest assured that with Heero and Duo going to investigate we should find the answers."

Reaching for the phone Une stared at Sally and shook her head. "I think you need to explain all this to Heero and Duo. Let them know exactly what they are searching for and just how dangerous this can be."

Sally nodded and left the room heading for Duo and Heero to brief them.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

With Senator Evans' body disposed of and all evidence of the little altercation gone, the comm. unit was once more activated.

"All completed."

"Good. Any problems?"

"No none."

"Excellent. I will have the package tonight."

"Roger that."

"Meet me at the Pioneer Restaurant tomorrow at six."

"Affirmative."

"Taylor out."

Replacing the unit in his pocket the assassin took the sheaf of papers and made his way to the bedroom. Slipping into the shower he began to remove all traces of the murder before stepping out and drying himself. Searching the closet he donned the other mans clothes and stepped to the mirror. He ran his hands through his hair that was silvering slightly at the temples and marveled at just how good a job Doctor P had done. Picking up a photo of the senator he compared the picture with the reflection in the mirror, the photo's twin stared back at him.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Duo looked thoughtful as Sally finished her speech. This was going to be a lot harder than he first imagined. Heero was also lost in his mind as he analyzed the data. These bodies had obviously contracted this disease from direct close proximity. The fact that rats carried the disease and the bodies all lived in and were found in areas where rats were well known to live seemed to make sense that the disease could be contracted due to this fact. But still there was something missing and Heero frowned as he tried to find the missing part of the puzzle.

Duo was stuck on the fact that Dave had obviously had sex not long before his demise. That in itself was enough to make Duo suspicious. How could a boy that had just had sex suddenly get this bug and turn up dead? The time frame didn't allow for him to be in contact with a rat and if what Sally was saying was true then he had to have caught it after sex as he would have been too sick before hand. With these thoughts still swirling in his head Duo headed for the coffee machine.

Heero watched him go. Duo was on to something and for now it was best to let his long haired partner chase his thoughts. Once he had them assembled into some sort of order Duo would consult him. He returned to making notes.

Wufei had gone through the complete security system and was now up to speed on it all. He was currently checking the security passes against the identities of the people they represented making sure that everything was in order and the program set up ready for him to begin issuing the small badges. The convention was due to start in three days and the dignitaries would begin arriving on earth the day after tomorrow.

Pushing a stray strand of hair that dared to escape the tight ponytail from his face he let go a sigh. Tomorrow he would need to issue all the staff with their passes and check the clearance system was working properly, still with Trowa to assist it shouldn't take too long. Rubbing his tired eyes he resumed his task.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

In a dark alley on L2 gray eyes scanned the street before proceeding down into the depths. Waiting by a gathering of rubbish bins stood another figure, his face obscured in the shadows.

"Have you got it?" asked the gray eyes.

The other person withdrew a small package from within the coat and handed it over. "Everything is set."

Taking the package the man proceeded to check the contents through the plastic wrapping. "Good. How do we set them off?"

Reaching again into his pocket the man removed a small detonating device. "Once everything is in position flip this to activate and then push the small button on the side. That will trigger the charge in each one."

Taking the small apparatus that looked for all the world like a cell phone the man gazed at it. "You have done well Dr P." he said quietly. "I trust that no evidence has been left behind?"

"No none at all. I burnt the place to the ground just to be sure."

"Excellent. I hate loose ends."

Dr P shifted feeling a little uncomfortable as the tone of voice changed. "If that is all I will be going on my way then." he said as he began to sidle from the alley.

Placing the package and small cell phone into his pocket he allowed a sinister smile to play on his lips as he reached into his other pocket to withdraw a small pistol. "Not so fast." The voice was low and menacing.

Dr P stopped in his tracks. "But why? I have done everything you asked. I'm not about to go around speaking of this to anyone now am I? Please... I beg of you..... Just let me go... Taylor... I swear I will not tell a soul.... Taylor!"

A burst of orange from the nozzle of the gun indicated it had been fired. The silencer doing its job well. The figure before Taylor slowly crumpled and fell to the ground amidst a rapidly growing pool of blood.

Taylor walked up and nudged the body with his foot. Placing the gun back into his pocket he whispered, "No loose ends." and then left the scene to melt into the shadows once more.

Dr P lay there as his life began to ebb from his bleeding chest. He managed to drag his handkerchief from his pocket and plug the wound. Fire raced through his system with each small movement but the blood loss slowed. Grunting with pain he tried to reach inside his jacket for his phone but before his fingers could grasp it he passed out.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Shane knew something was up as soon as Heero and Duo came home. Although Duo was doing his best to act his normal self Shane knew him well enough to know it was all show. "What's up guys?"

Heero tossed his keys on the table as Duo flopped onto the couch. "We need to talk Shane."

"Sure Heero. What is it now?"

"There has been a change of plans at Preventer. Wufei is taking over the security for the convention along with Trowa....."

"Huh? How come?" blurted out Shane.

Duo snickered, "Thought I was the only one to interrupt."

"Sorry."

"Hn. It's okay." said Heero as he gave his wayward lover a cuff to the back of the head.

"Ow! What was that for Heero?" Duo asked in mock hurt as he rubbed his head.

"Baka! Shut up the pair of you and let me finish."

Shane waited patiently for Heero to continue as Duo pulled a face.

Choosing to ignore the braided one Heero continued. "Duo and I have been assigned to the case of the L2 bodies. More information has come to light and Une wants us to head to L2 to investigate further."

"I see. So when do ya leave?"

"The shuttle goes at nine in the morning. You will need to pack tonight." replied Heero.

"Pack? Where am I goin? Don't tell me ya gonna make me stay with Wufei while ya gone... Oh please Heero... not that... Please not that!" said Shane as he feigned anguish, dramatically swiping the back of his hand across his brow.

Duo sniggered, "I do believe we have an actor in the family koi."

"Looks like he's been taking lessons from you." responded Heero. "No Shane you wont be staying with Wufei. Quite the opposite in fact, you are coming with us." Heero smirked as he took in the reaction. "Now that got you didn't it?" he thought.

"Comin with ya? Ya mean back to L2?"

"Well we did try ta swing it for a vacation on the moon base but Une wouldn't be in it, somethin about it not bein the holiday season there so L2 it is." quipped Duo.

Shane wasn't sure he liked this idea too much.

"If you have quite finished clowning around Duo..."

Duo cocked his head in mock thought. "Yep all finished for now." he grinned cheekily.

"Hn. Shane we need you to go with us and help out. You and Duo know L2 like the back of your hands so that knowledge will be vital. Lets get some dinner and we will fill you in on all the details while we eat."

"Ahh...... Dinner.... My second favorite word." snickered Duo.

Shane and Heero both looked at him. "I know I'm gonna regret this but what is your favorite word?" asked Shane.

"Why that would be Fuck of course." Seeing the looks on their faces Duo smirked evilly. "It has so many uses.... like fuck me... now that's always nice..... or fuck you, which isn't bad either and then there is.. Itie! Not the hair! " yelled Duo as Heero grabbed the end of his braid and gave it a sharp tug.

"I think you should shut up now baka!"

Duo pouted. "Dunno what ya gettin all excited for Heero, I was only answering Shane's question."

"I knew I would regret it." grinned Shane.

"Hn. Not as much as Duo will if he doesn't get moving and put his mind somewhere above his navel." said Heero flatly.

"Yeah...yeah... all right then. But remember your promise Hee-chan."

Shane quirked an eyebrow. Heero sent him a look that clearly said "Don't even bother going there!" so Shane kept his mouth shut and followed the pair into the kitchen to discuss the trip in more detail.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Toby and Benny reacted exactly how Trowa had predicted they would to the news that now both he and Quatre would be going to the convention. They sulked and whined, even begged and cursed in an attempt to be included.

"But why can't we go. We promise to be good an not get inta any trouble." whined Benny.

"We will stay right outta the way. Yer wont even know we was there." added Toby.

"I'm sorry boys but both Trowa and I will be too busy to keep an eye on you and you can't stay in the hotel all the time. I have all the meetings to attend and Trowa is caught up in the security. There wont be any time left at all to entertain you both." Quatre sighed wearily. He had been arguing with them now for a good half an hour and frankly it was beginning to wear him down. He would much rather be facing a troop of mobile suits any day then arguing with these pair of rascals.

Benny and Toby knew all the tricks and played them mercilessly.

"You will be much happier staying here with Colin and Mickey."

"No we wont. We wanna go wiv you."

"But there wont be anything for you to do."

"We don't mind, we can stay in the room an watch TV. Tob can bring some of the vid games wiv him an we can play those." pleaded Benny.

Toby's bottom lip began to quiver and his eyes welled up with tears. "Yer jus don want us wiv yer. I know. Yer both had enough of us cause sometimes we gets inta trouble."

Quatre felt a pain stab through his heart. "No that's not true Toby."

Realizing what his partner was up to Benny decided to join forces. With the double assault Quatre didn't stand a chance.

Benny let the tears well and spill over. "It is true. I know we ain't the best behaved kids but we is tryin. Yer jus can't wait ta get away an...." Benny hiccupped "...an yer wont come back..... jus like me mom..."

Hearing the sadness in those last few words of Benny's Quatre felt his resolve crumble completely. "Oh Benny." he said as he scooped the small boy into his arms. "Trowa and I would never abandon you."

"But that's what yer doin." whimpered Toby. "Yer goin away and yer don't want us wiv ya."

Quatre hugged Toby to his chest along with Benny. Sighing loudly he relented. "All right. You two can come with us then." Further speech eluded him as he was swiftly enveloped by two pairs of small arms hugging him tightly while kisses of thanks were plastered to his cheeks.

Miraculously the tears vanished as the pair of excited boys took off at a run for their bedroom to discuss what they would take with them in the way of toys and games. Trowa stood against the door frame with his arms folded across his chest, a wry smile playing on his lips as he stared at his lover.

Quatre looked up and met the gaze, shaking his head he rolled his eyes at Trowa. "Why do I get the feeling I have just been had?"

"Probably because you have." responded Trowa as he pushed off the door to move across to his love.

"Whoever said raising kids was easy should spend a few hours with those two... or be shot." replied Quatre.

Wrapping his arms about Quatre's slender waist Trowa placed a kiss against that creamy neck. "Shame they don't come with an instruction manual."

"Would make life a lot easier if they did." sighed Quatre. "That's nice, please don't stop."

Continuing his kissing journey Trowa whispered, "Give Wufei a call. I'm sure he will bring Paul along with him and the terrible twosome can spend some time with him, I'm sure he wont object."

"Now that's a really good idea."

"Hmmmm.... Call him after dinner."

"But Trowa we have already eaten."

"So? I want my dessert now."

"I hate to tell you this but we had that to."

"Then think of this as supper." Trowa growled softly as he let his hand wander down the front of Quatre's pants to rub at the steadily growing hardness there.

Quatre moaned as he pushed his hips into that teasing touch. "I like the sound of supper."

"Good because I'm rather peckish at the moment." Trowa seized Quatre's lips in a kiss born of desire as he slid his hand under the waistband of Quatre's pants to fondle his lovers cock.

Feeling his knees go weak with the touch Quatre moaned again. "Lets take this to the bedroom shall we?"

Happy to oblige Trowa picked the smaller man up and carried him upstairs to their room where he deposited him on the large bed and proceeded to 'eat' his supper.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~