Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ United Hearts ❯ Chapter 11

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys. They belong to their respective copyright companies. I do however own Shane, Paul, Colin, Mickey, Benny, Toby and any other unfamiliar characters. I also own the plot if you can call it that.

Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4x3, 5+S

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Angst, Yaoi, Shonen-ai, violence, language, references to rape, sap, blood, Death (not one of the boys), Lemon/Lime, medical stuff, and any other weird thing that comes out of my head.... be afraid...

Notes: This is the sequel to "Lost Souls." While it is not necessary to read "Lost Souls" first I do recommend it otherwise some of the occurrences may not make sense. The references to medical procedures, medical reports, autopsies etc. are entirely based on my own pathetic knowledge of such and so I apologise in advance for any incorrectness contained there in. :)

" United Hearts "

Aug. 2002 ShenLong

Chapter 11

Wufei and Paul met up with Sally at the main entrance to the convention facilities. After clearing security they proceeded to one of the many fine restaurants enclosed in the compound. Wufei allowed himself a rare glass of wine with his dinner mulling over the days events and what was to come on the morrow. Noting that Sally appeared to be a little distracted he thought about when would be an opportune time to broach what was bothering her. Deciding there was no time like the present he plunged in.

"Sally, you appear to have something on your mind."

"That obvious?" she replied.

"Yes. You haven't appeared to have heard hardly anything of the conversation this evening."

"I'm sorry Wufei."

"I suggest you tell me what it is." growled Wufei as he felt his annoyance growing. He hated not to know what was going on. Part of the soldier from the wars still ran through his blood and he wasn't about to give it up either. It had saved him plenty of times in the past and with his current employment it was an asset not a liability.

"Une had a call. She paged me while I was on my way here."

"And?"

Sally's eyes darkened. "The head from Memorial on L2 called to say they had another virus victim brought in."

"Oh." said Wufei.

Paul looked up from his meal as he picked up on the words. "Not another street rat?"

"No Paul, this one is different.... This one is an adult male.... and still alive."

Paul's eyes widened as did Wufei's.

Sally placed her fork beside her plate and rested her head in her hands. "Une has contacted Heero and Duo who should be there by now to talk to him and see if they can get anything from him."

"So this victim was found alive." Wufei thought out loud. "I wonder where he came into contact with the virus then?"

"That's what we hope Duo and Heero can find out for us." sighed Sally. "I just wish I could have been there as well."

Wufei looked up sharply at this admission. He wasn't so sure he liked the idea of Sally being in contact with a live carrier of this deadly disease. Although he would never admit it he cared deeply for the woman.

"So when do ya think yer will hear anythin?" asked Paul.

"I'm not sure Paul but I hope it's not too long."

The three returned to their meal each with their different thoughts running through their heads.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Trowa finished tucking Toby into his bed and placed a kiss upon the little boy's forehead. "Sleep well." he said softly before turning to repeat the gesture to Benny who was already off into dreamland. Trowa paused for a moment to study the sleeping profiles of his two 'sons' A lump formed in his chest as he continued to gaze in wonderment at the two. A pair of arms sliding around his waist brought him from his reverie.

Placing a kiss upon the soft skin at the nape of Trowa's neck, Quatre pulled the taller man into a warm hug. Peering over Trowa's shoulder Quatre also took in the scene of the sleeping boys. "They are so sweet and innocent don't you think?"

"Yes they are." came the soft reply.

"Any regrets?"

"No none."

"Then what are you thinking about my love?" Kisses began to rain lightly around the neck.

"Just how rich my life seems to have become."

"And is that a good thing?"

"Oh most definitely." Turning, Trowa hugged the blonde and then led him back to their bedroom. Sitting on the bed he pulled the Arab into his lap. "I never really knew what it was like to live until I came back to you Quatre. You make me complete. When I am away from you it feels as if my soul is missing and then when we are together it is as if the entire universe is back in balance. I didn't think it could get any better until..." Trowa trailed off as if searching for the right words.

"Until what?" asked Quatre, his teal eyes bathed in emotion. It was rare for his lover to open up this much so Quatre was intent on allowing him every chance to speak from within his heart.

"When it was just us two it felt like I couldn't want or need anything more, then Benny and Toby came along and it seemed to add that little bit extra. It made my life contain something more.... I realized that I now have a purpose... a real purpose to living. I now have two more reasons for existing, two more people that are dependent on me to ensure their safety and well being. Two more that require my presence to protect and guide them."

Quatre stared into emerald that shone with unshed tears as the emotion in the room reached critical level. He squeezed Trowa's hand.

Trowa smiled. "And you know something? I would protect you all to my dying breath if need be. I love you all more than life itself and I wouldn't have it any other way."

Quatre reached for Trowa's lips and placed a tender kiss upon them. "I know exactly what you are saying my love for I feel the very same way. Without you three my life would have no meaning. For all that I own, the tangible and material things mean nothing without you three to share them with. I would give it all up without a second thought just to stay with all of you. All of this can be replaced." continued Quatre with a wave of his hand indicating the items around them, "But the love and happiness I share just by being with you cannot."

Trowa realized then that they had come to an even greater level in their relationship. They had finally accepted each others flaws and insecurities, knew how the other felt and with this knowledge their relationship could only strengthen.

Settling into the bed Trowa wrapped his arms securely around Quatre and brought the blonde close to him. There was no need for further words, they just lay there warm and content in each others arms, holding and being held, loving and being loved.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Leaving the restaurant with the small package Evans returned to the estate and began to pack his small suitcase in readiness for the trip to earth in the morning. He laid the package carefully in the center and packed his clothes securely around it. Once done he snapped the locks shut and placed it in the foyer ready to go. He went into the library and poured himself a glass of brandy. The ringing of the door bell interrupted his thoughts. Opening the door he came face to face with Marcus Saxby.

Saxby glanced over the man before him taking careful note of just how much he looked like the real senator. "P did an excellent job." he said as he brushed past and entered the house.

Evans followed him through to the library and filled another glass with the rich brown fluid. Passing it to the other man he motioned for him to sit.

"I have brought the file with the conference notes in it. Everything you need is there."

"Thank you."

Saxby continued, "Our agents are already in position. They will contact you. When you arrive tomorrow the first afternoon is scheduled for mainly introductions and pleasantries a well as working the agenda. The proper talks will take place the following day."

"I understand."

"The agents will come to your room and collect the package. Don't worry they will attend to a problem within your room so no one will be suspicious. You are to attend the meeting the next day."

"When will the package be activated?"

"Termination will take place in the morning of the second day of talks."

"Time?"

"10 am. The agents will give you a small pager which will activate five minutes before detonation is to occur. That will give you the opportunity to exit the room."

"Okay."

"You will rendezvous with the agents at a point yet to be confirmed and await further instruction from there."

"Understood."

"I don't need to remind you how important this is. P did an excellent job with the surgery, you are the spitting image of the late senator Evans, Ryan. Please make sure that no one becomes any wiser."

Draining the last of the brandy from his glass Ryan Tate closed his eyes as he contemplated the events yet to unfold. He had studied the senator for months learning his mannerisms and had now got them all down to perfection. There was no way he was going to blow the cover or the operation at this stage of the game..... He had too much at stake.

Saxby stood and took his leave. Pausing at the door he shook Tate's hand. "Good luck senator Evans." he said. "Remember the entire Deliverance fraction is counting on you." And with that he was gone.

Ryan Tate lay in his bed staring at the ceiling. Tomorrow..... tomorrow would be the day when all their planning and hard work would be put into practice. A smile played across his lips as his eyes slid shut and morpheus claimed him.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Doctor Griffin and the nurse worked swiftly to silence the alarms. Heero and Duo stood back and allowed them to work. With the alarms now quiet all that could be heard was the clink of the odd instrument and gruff order from the doctor as they worked to still the form that appeared to be having some form of convulsion. The nurse handed over a syringe, the doctor removed the cap and tapped the cylinder a couple of times before plunging the needle into the raised vein. Dropping the used item in the tray the doctor stood back and watched as the patients movements stilled.

Heero moved closer, Duo was right behind him. "What happened?" Heero asked in his flat voice.

"The organs are beginning to move into the next phase." replied Doctor Griffin.

"Next phase?" asked Duo as he cocked his head.

"Yes. The virus has spread to the point where the organs will now begin to shut down permanently."

"Hn. Will he regain consciousness at all?"

"I cannot say."

The patient had stilled and the breathing had settled into a somewhat irregular pattern. Beneath the eyelids the eyes moved, watching a movie only they were aware of. The mouth began to move slightly as incoherent mumbles passed quietly from within.

Seeing this Heero moved closer in an attempt to hear what was being said but the voice was too quiet. He went to lean closer only to be stopped by a restraining hand upon his arm. He looked around into the concerned violet of his koi.

Seeing what Heero was about to do Duo grabbed his arm and pulled him back. "Heero...."

"Hai Duo. I know."

"Be careful koi, Sally said the virus is passed by direct airborne contact."

Heero read the concern and fear in the Americans expression. "I will be careful Duo but I need to know what he is saying."

The doctor watched the exchange and reached into his pocket. Pulling out a small recorder he passed it to Heero. "Here, use this." he said.

Heero looked at the small object and then back to the doctor. It was a small recording device that doctors used to make verbal notes on until they could be transferred to a patients file. He flipped on the record switch and placed the object's microphone close to the patients lips. He just hoped it would work.

As Doctor P's body began to shut down, so many images raced through his mind. He was totally oblivious to his surroundings and the fact that he was mumbling. His mind cleared for one last moment and his final coherent thought before his brain ceased to function was that how ironic it should be that the creature he had cultivated so dearly and lovingly should have been the one to finish him off. The last thing he saw before he passed into complete blackness was a pair of beady yellow eyes and long whiskered twitching snout as the rat caressed him with its breath.

The mouth stopped moving and a monitor went off with a shriek. Heero jumped at the noise and switched the recorder off as he looked around to see what was causing that infernal racket.

Duo also stared at the small screen of the heart monitor as the alarm screamed out. The line recording the heart beat had gone from forming small mountain peaks to flat valleys.

Doctor Griffin moved swiftly and cut the alarm. He stared at the patient and shook his head. There was no need to try to resuscitate the man, the virus would not allow it. He pushed gently past Heero and disconnected a few wires before pulling the sheet up over the face. "I'm sorry. I'm afraid he's gone."

"Hn. Not much we can do about it." said Heero. "I just hope we have something we can use on this tape."

Duo watched silently. Although he had seen death numerous times it didn't make it any easier to accept. Once known as the God of Death he had wielded his scythe and reaped the souls of soldiers and innocents alike without so much as a second thought.... at least that's how most people saw it. In reality Duo had suffered many times the anguish and guilt at having been responsible for the number of widows and orphaned children during the wars. While it had all been a necessary part of the war it still did not make it any easier to live with. Duo had survived though, and after time spent soul searching he had finally taken the step that led him to recovery... acceptance of his actions for what they were and what he had to do and forgiveness of those actions.

They left the room together and headed back to Shane. Seeing the grim expressions Shane knew all had not gone as well as hoped. He looked at Duo with the question in his eyes. Duo shook his head in response. Shane slumped back into the seat he was perched upon.

Heero spoke with the doctor for a few more minutes before pocketing the small recording device and with a swift handshake he turned to Duo and Shane. "Lets go back to the hotel." he said quietly.

The three left the hospital and a short while later they were back in their room at the hotel. Heero took the recorder from his pocket and placed it on the table. He went to the phone and called room service. Duo watched as his koi ordered and then quirked an eyebrow as he heard what it was that Heero had sent for.

"Pizza?" he asked.

"Hn. I thought we could do with something to eat seeing as how our dinner was interrupted."

"But Heero.... Pizza?"

Shane snickered as he watched the look of disbelief on Duo's face. He knew how much Duo loved pizza and Heero was always refusing to get it for him complaining about its nutritional value, or rather lack of.

"After today's events lets just say I feel like indulging a little." smirked Heero.

Duo bounced over to his koi and wrapped him in a bear hug. "I love you Heero ya know that?"

A knock on the door told them that the pizza had arrived. Shane opened the door and admitted the waiter who had been sent up to deliver the requested items. A couple of beers joined the pizza on the table and Duo felt his mouth begin to water and his stomach rumbled loudly to voice its approval to the nose on the scents it was receiving.

They sat down and began to devour the food before them, only stopping to take a drink. Soon enough the pizza was finished and contented gurgles were coming from Duo as his stomach happily processed the food. Clearing the table Heero retrieved the recorder and wound it back. Setting the volume up he nodded to Duo who had a pen and paper handy to take notes.

"All ready Hee-chan"

Heero depressed the small play button and the machine crackled into life. At first all that could be heard was the rasping of breath and just the odd word... then ramblings.....

Duo noted down what was being said and frowned at the words. The tape suddenly let forth a shriek indicting the heart monitor had gone off and then cut out.

Heero switched it off and looked at Duo. "So what have we got?"

Duo's brow furrowed as he read through his notes. He recited them back to Heero. "Use rats..... no one cares....... too many to miss a few..... refine procedure..... perfect plan.... I wont betray.... Oh god no....."

Heero frowned. "Is that it?"

"Yup. Don't seem to make much sense does it?"

Shane thought over the words as well. They didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to him either but he knew there was some clue there..... if only they could figure out what.

Duo continued to run the words through his head and then a grin lit up his face. "I think I may have something."

"What Duo?" said Heero.

"No one cares... too many to miss a few. I believe this is related to the kids that were found."

"Hai, keep going."

"Well from what I can make out Sally said the disease was found in rats right?"

"Hai."

"Then the reference to rats could mean this guy was cultivating the disease. The words too many to miss a few and no one cares related to the street kids. He needed someone to test the stuff on and who better than the street kids? There are enough of them around and with the conditions the way they are here who is going to think anything of a couple of kids turning up dead?"

"I believe you may be on to something here koi." said Heero and he smiled at his lover. "It's the perfect opportunity to test something like this. No one is going to report a street rat missing.... most of them have no identity and so cannot be traced."

"I can see how street rats would be the ideal test subject but why? What was he planning on doing?" asked Shane.

Duo thought again. "Now that's the missing link here. He said he had refined the procedure and perfect plan... but what for? The gun shot wound indicates to me that he knew too much and so was eliminated...."

"So that means there is someone else out there that knows what is going on and what this plan is." finished Heero.

"So where do we go from here?" asked Shane.

"Who was this guy Heero?"

"There wasn't any ID on him when he was brought in. I presume the hospital was tracing his identity through DNA or fingerprints." said Heero.

"Right." Duo looked at the clock. "It's getting late, lets get some sleep and take this up again in the morning."

"Hn. Good idea. I will contact Une first and let her know what we have got so far." Heero moved to the vid phone to place his call.

"Well I will see ya all in the morning then." said Shane and he got up from his chair and headed for his own room across the hallway.

"G'night Shane." called Duo.

Shane nodded and left, Duo got up and wandered over to his koi. He draped himself over Heero's shoulders as he watched the screen flicker as the connection was made. The thoughts were still whirling around in his head as Une's sleepy face appeared on the screen.

"Heero... Duo..." Une yawned.

"Sorry to disturb your sleep Lady Une but we thought it best if we reported in to you with what we have learned." said Heero.

"That's okay Heero. I have been wondering what was going on, please enlighten me."

"The victim was in the advanced stages of the disease by the time we got to the hospital and was unconscious."

"Shit!" said Une.

Duo's eyebrows shot up as he heard the expletive burst from the normally conservative mouth.

Choosing to ignore the comment Heero continued, "He did however mumble a few words before he..... " Heero swallowed, "Before he passed on."

"And did you get what he said? Was it something we can use?"

"Hai. We recorded what he said. It's not much just a few ramblings but Duo seems to have worked out what it could mean although we aren't completely sure yet. We will need to further investigate our hypothesis tomorrow."

"Okay. So what did he say and what are you two proposing to do?"

Heero related the words to Une along with Duo's interpretation and their thoughts on their next moves.

Une agreed. "Contact me again tomorrow or as soon as you have anything else that may be of importance."

"Hai. Sorry again to have disturbed you."

"No problem Heero. Good luck to you both."

Duo hung over Heero's shoulder. "Thanks Une baby and by the way..... nice jammies." Duo smirked, his violet eyes dancing with mirth.

Heero rolled his eyes in exasperation, trust his lover to notice and pass a comment on their commanders sleep wear. Although he did have to admit the satin pajamas with their teddy bear prints did look rather fetching on Une.

"Good night Duo." growled Une and then severed the call.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Evans stood in the small queue at the L2 Space port, beside him was his small suitcase that carried within its sealed package. He passed his ticket across to the desk clerk and looked around him. The clerk processed the information and indicated for him to pass across his suitcase. Evans complied and watched as the case disappeared through the curtain to be placed in the shuttle's cargo hold.

The clerk handed back the stamped ticket along with a boarding pass. "Its a pleasure to have you flying with us Senator Evans. I have placed you in the window seat number 4 in the first class section. I trust you will have an enjoyable flight."

"Thank you." replied the man as he took the ticket and pass.

"The entry gate is down on your left, gate 2. Just hand your pass into the stewardess there."

Evans moved away from the counter and down the corridor towards gate 2. Now that he was actually on his way he let himself relax a little. He handed his pass to the stewardess who checked it against the computer and then handed it back. "Proceed straight ahead sir, the shuttle will be leaving in fifteen minutes."

"Thank you." Evans made his way to the shuttle and was directed to his seat. He retrieved a file from his briefcase before placing the case in the overhead stowage compartment. Sitting down he clicked the seatbelt into place and then stretched his long legs out in front of himself. Picking up the file from the seat next to him where he had dropped it, he opened it and began to go through the contents once more. He had to be convincing in his role if they were to pull this plan off.

The Shuttle's engines kicked into life and the hostess moved to shut and seal the hatchway. Secured she relayed to the captain that all was ready before taking her own seat to prepare for disengagement from the docking port.

The shuttle rumbled and vibrated slightly as the connection with the space port was severed and then it moved swiftly to the exit runway. With a roar the shuttle charged along the short space and launched itself into the black void to begin its journey to Earth.

In the cargo hold a small black suitcase moved slightly and a package within shuddered a little but the contents, while rattling lightly against each other, stayed intact.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~