InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Wish I May ❯ Fresh Faces ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: I hope you all like it so far... sorry for issues with formatting, the first chapter was nuts there for a while... I have to end up uploading in plain text format, and it at least gets the line breaks right, if not the italics and bold. Grr to HP for not including Microsoft Word on my laptop...
Thanks to my first reviewer:
darkmagicuser_92- I'm glad you like it so far! I will definitely be trying for longer chapters, that first one was just shorter to kind of prologue the thing... I probably should have set it as a prologue actually... anyways, the rest should be full length chapters!
and,
squeefan- Thanks!!

Chapter 2

Kagome awoke to see the concerned eyes of her mother gazing upon her.

"Mama?"

"Oh, Kagome, it's done, isn't it?" There was so much hope in her mother's eyes.

"Hai. The Jewel has brought me back here with Shippo... where I will stay." She smiled at her mothers relieved expression. Kagome hadn't realized how much tension her mother had carried with her due to her shard-searching. The change was amazing, the steadily deepening lines in her mothers face smoothed and her eyes seemed clearer, the woman looked almost 10 years younger with the knowledge her daughter was back to stay in her home.

The happiness at being home though was temporary. Kagome remembered her friends' deaths. Sango and Miroku had been like her brother and sister. InuYasha... well, he became a brother. She had loved him, and would have given him her heart, but in the end, a woman can only stand so much rejection. She felt like a fool for offering her love for so long, but one night after InuYasha disappeared again she spoke with Sango and came to the decision that her love for InuYasha was that of a friend or brother rather than that of a lover.

She took a deep breath, clearing her thoughts as she found herself in a tight embrace with her mother. She knew that it was hard for her family with ehr going through the well, but she never realized how much it affected her mother. She could feel the relief rolling off the woman in waves. Her mother was... crying. She wrapped ehr arms around her mother and hugged her closer, reassuring her. She wasn't going anywhere, not anymore. She would find a shrine to continue her training, and she would stay here, at the Sunset Shrine with her family.

"Momma, stop it, I'm really staying this time. It's okay."

Their embrace was finally broken apart by the sputtering Shippo, who had been caught in the middle of the hug.

"Let's have dinner."

---

It was the weekend, so Kagome decided that she would begin visiting shrines and looking for a teacher. Shippo wanted to come along so she dug through Souta's old clothing and found some clothes that could cover him up should his illusion fail.

Shippo careened wildly down the sidewalk in front of Kagome, stopping at every home and store window to do a lap around the building and examine what it held, noting things of special interest that he could come back to later.

"Come on, Shippo. This is the first one, let's see if it's good enough." She waved him away from watching a child playing with his toys in the front yard and started up the stairs to the shrine.

At the shrine entrance, Kagome and Shippo were greeted by a potbellied, middle-aged man who Kagome could detect no holy energy from. Kagome smiled and struggled for an excuse to move on to the next shrine.

"Hello, Sir. Um, I was just looking for places that... um, my brother could be taught at... but I just remembered something I had to do!" She started backing away as she spoke. "Bye!"

The next few shrines yielded the same results and Kagome was nearing the end of her list.

"How about stopping for something to eat, Shippo?"

"That sounds great, okaa-san!! Do they have Ramen and Pocky?"

Kagome laughed at her kit's food choice.

"Um, Shippo, that's not really a meal here. There are much better things to eat than Ramen." Kagome looked around for a small restaurant. "There, that place should have some good food!"

Kagome took Shippo's hand and led him into the small cafe. She found a small table on the outside patio for the two of them. It was just after lunchtime so there weren't too many people left at the tables. Most of the late-lunch stragglers were inside, anyways. Kagome sighed, it was such a beautiful day... why would anyone want to sit inside?

A waiter approached to take their order.

"I'll have an eel and avocado roll and Shippo here will have the salmon." The waiter placed two teacups and a teapot on the table, and bowed.

"I will return shortly with your order."

"Okaa-san, this time is soooo cool! There are so many things here, can we go to that place with all the toys? There were so many neat things to play with in there!" Shippo quickly scanned their surroundings. "What is that man eating?" The kit pointed to an orange-haired boy eating ice cream.

Kagome explained ice cream and it was decided that the kit would get some ice cream for dessert.

While they were eating their food, Kagome noticed that the by kept sneaking odd glances toward her and Shippo.

'Hm, maybe he heard Shippo call me okaa-san' Kagome thought to herself. 'I do probably look too young to have an eight year old!'

"Shippo, I promise we can go to the toy store later, but I really need to find a shrine to train at if I am going to take over the shrine for mama and ji-chan."

Shippo looked downcast, but he knew how important it was to learn to use her miko powers. His okaa-san was so strong.

"How many more do we have to see?"

"Just two more on the list for today. If none of those work out... I'll have to look up more that are a little farther away. It seems that most shrine caretakers don't have any holy powers anymore, like my ji-chan, they still honor the kami how they can though... they just can't help me!"

"Excuse me, pretty lady," The orange-haired boy interrupted. "I just happened to overhear you are looking for a shrine. My beautiful Yukina lives at a wonderful shrine!"

Kagome fought to hold in a giggle at the boy's theatrical announcement.

"It is not too far from here, just a few blocks over, in that woods over there." He waved a hand, indicating the forest not too far away.

"Thank you sir, I will make it my next stop. I think that is closer than the other two on my list." Kagome smiled at the boy. He seemed sweet.

"Yo, Kuwabara!" A loud voice preceded another boy, this one shorter than the orange-haired one, with slicked back black hair. Kagome mentally scrunched her face at the greasy hairstyle.

"About time, guys!" Kuwabara, the orange haired boy, shouted back. "I ate THREE ice creams waiting!"

The dark-haired boy was followed by a tall red-head and a brown haired girl.

Kagome looked closely at the girl, she seemed so familiar.

"Keiko!" Kagome finally exclaimed, the girls name coming to her lips. Kagome had gone to school with the girl.

"Kagome? Omigosh, I haven't seen you for so long! How are you? Who is this handsome little guy?" She fluffed Shippo's hair.

"I am the great warrior, Shippo!" He announced, standing up in his chair and puffing his chest proudly.

"Oh, you must be a great strong fighter!" Keiko exclaimed, humoring him as she would any child. Keiko sat down in a chair at Kagome's table.

"Uh, Keiko, we're sitting over here..." The greasy-hair boy motioned to Kuwabara's table.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Kagome, these are my friends Kuwabara and Ku- uh, Suichi, and my boyfriend, Yusuke. You boys go and talk, I want to catch up with Kagome!"

"Feh, fine. Come on over when you're done." Yusuke plopped himself down heavily in a chair at Kuwbabra's table, followed by the red-head, though Suichi sat with much more grace.

"He's as rude as InuYasha-baka, Okaa-san!"

Overhearing Shippo's accusation, Suichi's gaze snapped to the child, eyes flashing gold for a second as the demon within him stirred.

'How does he know about that hanyou? And... what is a kitsune kit doing with a miko?' The silver fox asked his human counterpart.