InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mind Games ❯ Let Me Keep the Fire ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Mind Games 8
 
--------------------------------------------------
Let Me Keep the Fire
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
 
Dawn broke silently over the snow and ice covered world, light chasing away the dark night. The sun’s ancient light seeking to bring warmth to her children danced across the ice and tall man- made towers of steel. Cutting through the thick black-blue clouds and chasing away the last strands of night interwoven with the shadows, the stars, restless with unknown age, faded slowly to the light, traveling back to the long night of the universe.

The golden orb’s slender rays pressed through the heavy drawn blinds, peering into the still dark and silent house. The ghosts of shadows lifted themselves up and wandered away to find darker spots to sleep as motes of dust dance in the rays of light.

The soft golden light caressed the sleeping face of a young half-breed who had seen more misery and despair in his life than many had in several life times.

Inuyasha stirred slightly, his breath catching in his throat, his chest screaming its blind agony at his already flooded senses. His eyes opened only to close again as a soft cry escaped his torn, bruised lips, the frail light coming from the windows as the sun that just graced the sky drifted across the unlikely pair.
He forced his eyes back open. A few tears trickled from the golden depths as he struggled to make out where he was. The last thing in his fuzzy mind was the bitter cold snow piling up on him and the iced over edge of the well.

A few dark memories were blasted from his mind, ones he hoped he would forget.

Kagome was her usual mad self, yelling the subduing word to the rosary around his neck and sent him plummeting forward into the rocky ground. His pained cry could be heard from the prone position as she stomped off, leaving him alone. He stayed there, feeling the blood trickle down his now broken nose, wetting the rocky, barren earth. She never knew how badly she had hurt him all the times she had said the word in anger.

He winced at the thought, trying to push it from his mind to no avail. Maybe she would never know how much it hurt.

His conscience reminded with him of all the times something like that had happened, his shattered heart begged to differ. Even now where she had fallen asleep by his side, he could feel her face pressed into his chest.

His unbroken hand released its death grip on the sheet below him, shaking slightly, hesitant. Smooth warm stands of midnight fell through his fingers as he rested his hand on her head lightly. For a few second his eyes cleared, free of the pain that haunted his every moment before clouding again.
He clenched his jaw in silent agony, before falling back into the dark void once again.

-----------------

She let her light burn well into the early cold morning, listening to Inuyasha’s labored painful breathing, holding his now, warm limp hand and winced every time the air moved in his chest.

Long, silver hair shimmered in the few, warm rays of sun; even now a faint shadow of pain disturbed the soft features of the injured youth lying deathly still.

Her face rested against his erratically moving chest, gently clutching at the quilt that lay around him, tears wetting the cloth.

“Inuyasha, please don’t leave me..Hold on..just hold on,” she sobbed, though she knew he could not hear the gently spoken words of love from the deep chasm of unconscious he was in.

He moaned softy, shifting slightly under her.

She had thrown his back out, a few months ago, it came back like a bad dream. She had actually physically hurt him, badly. The way he walked so stiffly, his jaw clenched tightly, why didn’t she see the pain in his eyes. Much less the way he had trouble moving. It must have pained Inuyasha greatly yet he said nothing.

How many times did I hurt you like that? How could I have not seen it? Kagome buried her face in his chest, letting her sorrow filled the dead air of the house.

------------------------------------------

*** Back to the feudal world***
 
The snow was freshly churned into to a thick, icy slush from the countless feet of scavenges that had come to feast on the carcass of the horse. Great, gapping holes were opened in many areas as the sharp fangs broke the frozen flesh up, striping it to the bone.

Sango kneeled by the pile of frozen flesh; her steady trained eyes studied the ground, searching out any tracks leading away from the horse’s remains.

The snow had hidden most the trail, making it less visible. Bits of silver hair were caught in the lower branches of a tree leading in the direction of the well; she hoped the hanyou had enough sense to get to the safety of the well in time.

She straitened, brushing the light coat of snow off her armor before turning back to the waiting Kirara. The others had been left back at a small village tavern with the reason that Kirara could move faster carrying only her. There was also the little thing about what she secretly dreaded that she did not want Shippo to know.. the sad frozen remains of their friend in the snow.

Tightening her grip on self-restraint, Sango slowly walked forward, her eyes never leaving the barely visible trial in the snow. Here and there were tiny red rubies of frozen blood, gleaming brightly in the vast expanse of white. Her hand tightened on the leather strap of the boomerang slung over her back. Who ever did this might still be near by; at least she hoped they were.

The snow started to fall again, tiny white snowflakes danced through the gaps in the tree bare branches, slowly covering her only trial.

Time would not be on her side again.

-------------------------

She returned to the waiting Kirara. At least Kagome had managed to get the badly wounded half-breed to her time, but it didn’t raise the heavy weight that hung in her chest. All that was left was to find them.

---------------------

 
The rouge demon exterminator hit the snow bank hard, his eyes never leaving the enraged Sango that stood over him. Her massive demon bone boomerang planted firmly in the ice near by.

A thin trickle of blood fell from his now broken nose. The frail lights of the tavern spilled over the disturbed snow, washing over the two combatants.

She had found the well hours ago. The area around the snowy well was badly disturbed, and stands of soft silver hair and bone-white cloth were tangled in the ice. Frozen blood gleamed in the snow under the changing sky as the thick blue-black clouds returned, blacking out the frail sunlight.

She had seen the heavyset man earlier, deep in the shadows of the bar, downing cup after cup of ale and bragging how he had captured a hanyou. Her stomach curled into a knot as she forced herself to listen to him, glad that the others were not around to hear this. All she had to do was follow him out into the snow.
She forced the heavy set man up to his feet, the ice white cape fluttering in the cold air, pieces of it were missing. Her grip on the man’s collar was vice like as she yanked him up before throwing another punch that caught him across the lip and split it.

He fell back to the snow, wiping the steady stream of blood from his busted lip and staring at her with a cold indifference.

Even in the frail light, Sango could easily see the sets of long red slashes over his arms, like the ones a set of claws would make.

A cold, rough chuckle bubbled through the blood. So the dog did have a master already, another exterminator no less.

He slowly got back to his unsteady feet, his hand dropping to the same whip that graced his captive’s back. His mouth cracked into a blood-drenched grin that caused Shippo to hide behind Miroku’s robes.
“So, the dog already has another master.. You should have broke him better.”

Sango’s whole body shook with barely-controlled rage, her hands turned to fists. The lowly creature made her sick to her stomach. Once she would have hunted Inuyasha.. but never tortured him. Now he was a friend, one that had managed to escape to a far safer time.

She almost lunged at the man if a hand hadn’t seized her shoulder; she shook him off, her rage turning her vision red.

“This won’t help Inuyasha.”

She shook him off; the rage visible in her eyes was frightening to say the least, one that made even him cringe slightly.

Forgive me Sango, he thought as he brought his staff down hard on the back of her head.
Her head erupted in pain and blackness over took her vision as she collapsed.
 
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------
TBC