InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Inuyasha Story ❯ When We Were Young ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 2: When We Were Young
I was walking in the market when I noticed him. I was not expecting to see him in the market. Inuyasha tends to keep to himself, so why would he come here. . .unless he's looking for someone. When I looked up, he was looking right at me. I quickly looked back down and scurried quickly off after my mother. Why was he looking at me? I haven't seen him in forever. . .I haven't seen him since his father had no more use for me. . .and I wasn't to marry him.
Inuyasha and I were in an arranged marriage. . .before he met Kikyo. . .she ruined everything. The day Kikyo came to the castle was the day everything changed. . .Inuyasha had not shown up to come bring me to the castle that morning. . .
Flashback:
My father, a trusted knight in the kings court, walked me to the castle. He and my mother, a shrine maiden, had a feeling that things were not going as planned anymore. They knew the king and queen loved me, but for some reason the prince, who I love and I thought loved me back, did not show up to bring me to the castle that morning.
I was eight when this day came, it was my birthday and the king and queen were planning a big party for me at the castle, the plan was that Inuyasha was to pick me up and bring me outside to the garden to play while the servants of the castle set up my party, then my parents were going to show up later.
When we got to the castle, I saw a carriage I had never seen at the castle before. I told my dad that this carriage was a new one that was not here yesterday. My dad knew this, and he had a sneaking suspicion that things were gonna turn bad for us and soon. . .
I went into the garden where Inuyasha and me where going to wait for the party, but Inuyasha was no where to be seen, so I went into the castle and saw that they were not preparing for my party at all. I saw my dad talking to the king. I walked up behind my father and asked what was going on. He told me that my party was cancelled for Inuyasha had a rare guest here. The king told me where Inuyasha was and sent me there to play with him and his new friend.
When I got to the room, I saw a young girl, about Inuyasha's age, and she looked just like me.
“Hello Inuyasha.”
“Why do you speak to the royal prince in such a manner. Call him your highness you poor wretch.”
I had never been spoke to in such a term ever since I have been in the castle with Inuyasha, and it surprised me that this girl who had no idea who I was, was talking to me in this manner. “Why do you speak to me in such a manner, you do not even know who I am?”
“I know that you are no where near royalty and that you have no business being here.”
At this point I was on the verge of yelling at her for speaking to me out of term, I was to be married to the future king and she had no business yelling at me.
“Kikyo stop it, she is my friend, she has been for the past four years, you have no business telling her she dose not belong here, she is my best friend.”
“I am sorry your highness, she spoke out of term and I was just correcting her. Please forgive me.”
“It is alright.”
This girl will change everything between me and the royal family. I knew that as soon as he said that. . .he would never let anyone talk to me like that.
~ * ~
A year later. . .
It is now my ninth birthday. Inuyasha and me have grown farther apart, but yet I still go to the castle everyday, hoping that it will someday go back to the way it was before Kikyo.
When I got to the castle, Inuyasha doesn't walk me to the castle anymore, there was something wrong. The king just waved me off when I said hi, and the queen ignored me. I got to the garden where I wait for Inuyasha and Kikyo, he's always with her now, so we can go for a walk through the garden.
When I went back inside to say goodbye to everyone for the night, my father was there, and he was talking to the king. When I got close enough to hear the conversation, I heard. . .
“We are no longer in need of your daughter's services.”
“Why? She loves your son your majesty, why are you sending her away?”
“Because my son dose not want her here anymore. He is with Kikyo all the time and has requested that the arranged marriage between him and your daughter be terminated.”
“Okay. Thank you for telling me, I can not tell you how disappointed my daughter will be.” My father was right. I was very disappointed to hear that I wouldn't be coming back. I wonder how Inuyasha will take this.
I walked up to my father. He knew that I had overheard the whole thing. So he said goodbye to the king and thanked him for putting up with me for so long. And with that we left.
I looked back for one more look at what I had thought of as my home. I saw Inuyasha standing in the doorway, looking at me. . .like he wanted to run to me and ask me to go. . .I wanted him to do that, I didn't want to leave forever, this was my second home. But then Kikyo walked up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder, he turned around and left with her. I didn't know that this was the last time I'd see him for ten years, except for glances when he's at the market, at the time.
That night I heard my parents talking:
“How could he have led us on like that? I thought everything was gonna be better for us once they married. How could he just send our little girl off like shes a toy that the prince got tired of?” my mother said.
“He's the king, he can do anything he wants. Apparently Inuyasha wants to marry this Kikyo now. I'm gonna resign from being a knight, or at least request to not be stationed at the castle anymore. . .I can't stand to see his face anymore, not after this. He's done a lot of bad things, but this is the worst.”
“I agree.”
With that I went to bed with tears in my eyes. I would never see Inuyasha again and I would miss him. . .Inuyasha. . .my best friend. . .gone forever. . .or so I thought.
My dad died a few days later.
End of flash back. . .
“Kagome! Hurry up, grandpa's waiting for us to get home with these supplies for the shrine.”
“Yes mom.”