InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Only When It Rains ❯ To Seal Away Time ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]




         Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha and company. Soul rights belong to Rumiko Takashi

         Note: -*-*-*- Means we are seeing a dream. It will not be in italic.

         Note: 'This is how it will be written if it is thought to ones self.'

        
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  ;                 Kagome was tired. She had been tossing and turning all night with a seething resentment toward herself. Why was it that she would always encountered InuYasha at the most horriblely wrong moments? The sun was riseing and she looked out the window as she watched the night melt away into the suns increasing movements. It had been just a few hours ago that she had seen Kikyo with InuYasha. It seemed that Kagome was destined to lead a loveless life. Sure she had a few men after her heart- Hojo, a kindly school boy who worried about her, and her health. And Koga, leader of the wolf demon tribe. Koga was strong and handsome, kind, and loyal. But none of them were InuYasha. That was the only one she wanted. And for a moment there, she was sure that he wanted her too. But no, she must have been letting her imagination run away with her agian. If he cared for her he wouldnt have gone after Kikyo... right? These questions dwelled in her head makeing her heart sink in a bottemless pit. She was so unsure of herself, so unsure of what she was feeling, so unsure of everything. But they only thing that made sense was her love for InuYasha.

         Leading two lives in two diffrent times wasnt hard, because she had, more or less, found her real self in the fudeal era. The things that her friends mindlessly talked about seemed so useless and unneeded, that sometimes she regretted going home at all. But in the fuedal era she had to learn the ways of their times. Women had almost no rights, and people were domianted by small time lords who thought more highly of them self that the sky scrappers in Kagomes own time. But one thing Kagome had noticed that the fuedal era and the future had in commen was that the fates loved to play games, and when they did, the never played fair.

         She laid in her bed, plainly thinking about the events that had led her to her to be in this era.

         It seemed as if it were all some sudden dream that was never ending. Every thing had been so good with him! They had gotten closer, and he almost... He almost...

         She had been sitting under the shade of the giant oak tree, the one that belong to kaeda's village. She seemed so at home there. The old miko was charming and warm, always welcome to new people, yet in some sense scared at the same point. She warded off preditors well and protected the village in which she took residence. Kagome looked out into the open range veiw of crystal clear water.

         It was oddly peaceful here. The sense of such was over whelmed in this area, although tension was thick with in the air from the hatred of demons vs. humans. Mortals vs. miko, and the thin line of like and love. She currently felt all three.

                  The aroma of fish was filling the air. She could feel herself getting more and more hungry as she waited.

         'He should have been here already' She thought. 'He's never late. Its always the other way around.'

         InuYasha had told Kagome to wait for him by the gaint oak tree near the well, as it would be their meeting place.

         "We dont have time to stop and spend a day with Kaeda." He had insisted. "We are behind as it is. Naraku will only grow stronger and us sitting around while the old miko makes us food isnt going to help any."

         "Mmhmm." She had agreed. "We probally wont need to argue anyways,"

         He looked at her strangely.

         "Your never late." She said with certainty in her tone.

         "Thats right, I keep my word on where I will be, unlike some others." He said with a certain mocking tone.

         "The only reason I am late InuYasha, is because I am trying to lug back all the food that YOU eat."

         "Keh."

         "I better get going or 'we will be behind'." She teased.

         "Yeah yeah yeah..." He stated. "Real funny."

         And he watched as she hopped down into the bone eaters well, time slipping from under them. She was 500 years in the future, as he was 500 years in the past.

         'Just another thing to separate us.' The hanyou thought, as he walked away, disappering into the seemingly endless forest.

         He walked, for he had nothing better to do. He was unable to move forward with Kagome gone in her era. He had not wanted Kaeda to know that they were here, so it would have been rather pointless to go to see her now.

         InuYasha jumped into the high branches of a tree, where he fell into a light slumber. One which was much deserved. He slept until late night.

         He awoke, feeling the hour of sun set approch.

         'Kagome will be back soon.' Was all he was able to think. He hopped down from his resting spot, and started toward the bone eaters well.

         He suddenly was stock still. He caught the oder of grave soil and dirt, with the hidden scent of honey, it was so masked by death that he had barley caught it. But he had. He ran toward it with a speed that seemed to increase as each second passed.
        
 &nbs p;       'Kikyo...' He thought. And at that moment, it was all he could think. She must have come by here to see him.

         'Is she in some sort of trouble that she needs help with? Or is she in danger that she needs my protection?' These sort of "is she..."'s ran through his head and completely replaced Kagome and how she was most likely jumping out of the bone eaters well. No. His thoughts involved Kikyo, and how he could help.

         It did not take long for the hanyou to track down the undead miko. She was walking idly through the forest, a stern look on her face, her thoughts untracable, her awareness of him still unreadable. She just continued to walk with no emotion what so ever. Was she lost in thought? Or was she simpily drifting into her day dreams.

         InuYasha had never known Kikyo to do such a thing. She was always so aware of her surrondings, making sure nothing could touch her, or make a sneak attack from behind. What was it she had feared at the time? He was always near, ready to pounce like a tiger on any one who tried to touch her. Had she known all along that he stared from a far, or, for once, was she a step behind?

         He stood, barely breathing, no noise was made at all. And all he did for a moment was look. And that in its own had flooded back so many memorys. Good ones, and bad. Reachable and untouchable all at the same time. How could such opposite emotions twist like that, was all he kept asking himself as she just watched silently.

         'I am beyond this.' He thought. 'We are beyond this.' Yet he still had yet to let himself known. She was museing in a land of her own. Was it worth it to wake her from it?

         It seemed so odd seeing her in this state. He acted like it was so unknown and uncommen to him. Often he caught kagome in such a way. He rememebred the first time she had done so. They were by themself, for it was a little over two years ago. She was still fifteen, and Shippo had just joined them. He had run off to play in the near by villiage.

         They sat on the blanket which she had spread. It was a resplendent day it was apperently "too beautiful to pass up". And in the end, he knew it was true. The sun shone that day with more pride than he had seen in years. They were rested near by the villiages lake, and he and Kagome were discussing rumors about the Shikon No Tama that had been spreading around the village. After a little while, the talking had become less intense, and Kagomes eyes became vaccent, and her veiw was fixed firmly on the lake.

         "Kagome?"
        
 &n bsp;       She gave no answer.

         "Kagome are you alright?"

         Still no reply from the miko. Scared, he grabbed her by her arm. The movement had trust her aware. She closed her eyes, as if washing the dream away as she shook her head intently from left to right.

         "What happened to you?"

         "I must have been day dreaming." She said coolly.

         "Whats day dreaming?" He asked curiosly. It must have been some thing powerful to have put her under such a spell.

         "Its like dreams, when you sleep at night, only you are not asleep just.... Just lost in thought." She said finally.

         "Oh." Was all he had said as he processed this new imformation.

         "What were you 'day dreaming' about Kagome?"

         She smiled.

         "Just fairy tales."

         "Keh." He said with the tone of a childish boy. "Who dreams about that junk?"

         "A lot more people than you know." She said defending herself.

         Kagome had a bitter sweet smile on the inside. She had been dreaming of a life where InuYasha cared for her the way she cared for him.

         'Fairy tales' She told her self. 'Its all just a bunch of impossibilitys.'

       &nb sp; Things had been so differnet then. She was so young, not that she was not now. The difference was that she had been so vunerable to life and all its harshness. She had lived a pampered life in comparrison to the world in which he dwelled. Her fighting skills were so lacked, and in early conversations, she gave off the sense of being dense.

         So much had changed. Soon she would be celebrating her 18th year. An adult in the eyes of her time, although she was already considered one here. Men stopped to stare at her for her looks, and the charming atmosphere she gave off. And for a moment, InuYasha prided himself on being half demon. He was able to sense it better than any of them.

         The villiage boys would gawk at her, but she was neither aware nor affetced. She had no idea how beautiful she was. In that way, and only that way, she was naive.

         'Amd I made her so.' He thought. 'Because of Kikyo. She has no idea that several men had mistaken her for a goddess. If I had any decency, I would tell her so. But its me. Its my fault.'

         The hanyou looked at the very same miko now, listless and frozen.

         "InuYahsa. What are you doing here?" She said, her head never turning to look at him.

         He jumped, taken aback by her sudden words.

         "I.... I caught your scent. I thought you might be in trouble..."

         "..."

         "What are you doing here?" He asked.

                  Kagome stood up and began walking, making her way to Kaeda's villiage.
        
 &n bsp;       'If he thinks that I am just going to sit here and wait around for him all night, he is sadly mistaken.' She glanced at her watch. It read out 10:03.
        
         She made her way through the crip nights air. It stung at her, each gust of wind was another thousand daggers plunging into her. She moved her hands up and down her arms, trying to bring some sort of warmth to them. Suddenly, her hands dropped. She stared out into the clearing of the forest where the hanyou stood next to Kikyo. He had his hands on her shoulder blades, his eyes fixated on hers. InuYasha's were filled with worry and passion. Hers were replete with ice.

         "I dont care what you say! You need me to protect you!" He yelled at her.

         "I am not a child InuYasha. I do not need you." She protested with a cold, low voice.

         "Kikyo..."

         "It is useless for you to care, you are in love with my reincarnation."

         "What?"

         "It is true InuYasha. Do not lie. Anyone can see it."

         "No. I love you Kikyo." the words came out faster than he was able to process what he had said.

         "Kikyo..." his grasp on her tightend.

         "Let me go InuYasha. Now. I do not wish to physically harm you. But I will of you do not let me go." Her bitter eyes roared up at him.

         She removed his hands from her, and in a qucik sweep, her soul collectors took her away.

         "Kikyo!" He cried up into the cold night "Dont leave me again!"

         But it was too late, Kikyo was gone.

         InuYasha turned, as his intension was to go back to camp. Then he saw her.

                  Kagome stood, her arms limp, and strangely enough, a small, sad smile was lit on her face. The one part of Kagome which he loved best, seemd to depress him at this moment. Reality hit him.

         "Kagome..."

         She just nodded her head.

         "I should have known." She opend her mouth half way as if she was about to add something. But no words made their way out. She shut her mouth in defeat, and gave a soft laugh as silent tears strutted down her checks. She shook her head and turned.

         InuYasha was unsure of what to do. In fact he was unsure of the whole situation. Why had she not yelled at him, or ran away? Instead, she smiled and laughed! She seemed as if she was ready to break and shatter into a thousand different peices.

         "Kagome!" He screamed after her.

         But it did not phase her. She continued walking on. Not a run, or a jog or even a brisk walk. Just a normal pace, one which from behind indicated every thing was alright.

         InuYasha followed her as she made ehr way back to the Bone Eaters Well, thrust her back pack onto her shoulders, and jumped down into the time slip. And just like that, she was gone.

         A few hours later when InuYasha worked up the courage to go after her, he found that the well to her time had been dosed in sacred spells.