InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Only When It Rains ❯ Tears In The Present, A Window Of Hope ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]



         Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha and company. Soul rights belong to Rumiko Takashi

         Note: -*-*-*- Means we are seeing a dream. It will not be in italic.

         Note: 'This is how it will be written if it is thought to ones self.'

         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  ;        A light breeze caressed the cheeks of Kagome's face, as her tender tears continued to roll down them with out fail. She began to feel that there would never be an end to the amount of liquid emotions she held with in her eyes. But she deserved it. She had not cried in such a manner since the last time he had carelessly taken her emotions and threw them aside.

         It was a time, a few years back, where she was still at the tender age of 15. Her relationship with InuYasha was a mixture of awkward blushes and unspoken feelings. Not much had seemed to change other than the little things no longer tinted their cheeks, and they said things that they talked in ways that they could dream of. Back then... They were so young. He a man of 17, she a girl of 15...

         He had taken Kikyo into his arms, and uttered the words that she hoped he would one day say to her. "I cant stop thinking about you. Not even for a second!" At that point in time, she had mentally urged him to say her name. 'Kagome... Please say Kagome...' But with in a second, the fate had been sealed, and the damage far too known to erase. When she was set free, she ran home into her era, and cried much so like was doing now.

         Perhaps it hurt so much because they had taken so many steps further. She was so sure that he had gotten over Kikyo, and was looking at her for once.

         When she ever saw the look that the two held in each others eyes... She knew there would never be another chance for her...      Her future with InuYasha seemed to grim.

         Kagome lifted her head to lie her left cheek on the fluffed pink pillow. She stared vacantly at her wall thinking.

         'He didn't mean to hurt me.' Kagome's mind said in automatic defense of her beloved. 'But he did... He does... He always will.'

         InuYasha jumped out from the Bone Eaters Well, in a new time era. Buildings that seemed to touch the sky were fluttered every where. The forest in which they traveled was now many houses and stores. The soft Earth that was once brown was now grey. In the future, the scenery looked grim in comparison to the pastel colors of the past. The passage way there had been a slightly difficult one. The time slip seemed to be harsh, and argumentative with him.

         'Kagome must still be upset.' He thought.

         InuYasha was well aware that when Kagome was hurt, the time slip intended to bare some of the pain he had caused on him. It would be difficult to get threw on such occasions, and often getting through he felt the sensation of zaps.

         When he reached the top, he found that there were scared spells scattered all over the well and room. He passed threw with out difficulty. Picking one up in his hand, he noticed the hand writing. It matched that of her grandfather.

         'No wonder they didn't work.' He thought. 'The old man takes himself for a priest just because it runs in his family.'

         The hanyous clawed hand opened the sliding door to the well house cautiously. He looked up at Kagome's window, which was open. Her curtains blew freely against the wind. He took it as a sign that he was allowed in. If she was truly mad, she would have written the spells out herself, and closed her window, disconnecting all ways to her. He walked idly to her balcony.        

 &nb sp;       InuYasha inhaled deeply. Her scent was every where, and driving him crazy. Some how, he had grown weak. Lately he had not been able to control himself. In the past, he was able to swoon off his hearts words, but for some reason, now all he wanted to do was heed its every saying. Every time he looked at her, his heart would flush. The urge to hold her gently in his arms and claim her as his own was over powering.

         It was not that this was a new feeling; No, he had always wanted to do so, from the moment he met her he knew. But his human heart was in denial. The more time passed, the more the need grew. He was at the point now where he thought that he would explode if he did not at least hint of his true feelings.

         Every time he looked at her, the thought of loving her sprang into his mind. He imagined what the feel of her hands entwined in his own would feel like, to be able to feel her heart beat against his own, hearing it steady song. He wanted, more than anything, for her to belong to him, and only him.

         But he was unable to tell her this, so he used the same tired excuse that she broke the Shikon No Tama. It was her fault. Usually that phrase led to more arguing, leading him to leave with out her, cautiously awaiting her return either fidgety, or depressed.      

   & nbsp;     At night, she was the image that fueled his dreams, and in the day, the thoughts the haunted his mind. There seemed to be no escaping her, and truthfully, he was not complaining. The only time that they parted was when she returned to this damn era. So he would to bring her back where she rightfully belong. Beside him in his time... The past.

         But he may never get the chance to tell her this. He had hurt her, and he knew it. This time... This time it seemed to separate from all of the other occasions that she had came across Kikyo and himself. She was sad, more sad than he had ever seen her in years. When she walked away from him, she had a small, sad smile on her face.

         What did it mean? Could it be a sign that she was through with him? He thought quickly of his rebuttals if she refused to come with him.

         They cant see the shards of The Shikon No Tama, only she can.
        
  & nbsp;      Everyone will miss her dearly.
        
 &nbs p;       Shippo needs her.

         I love you. I need you to stay with me.

         He mentally scoffed at the last option. He knew it would never come down to that, but in some ironic way, he wished it would.

         InuYasha leapt up onto the balcony, and walked quietly into her room. The aroma it gave off was intoxicating, yet heart breaking. It was her scent of honey and milk, with the added blend of her tears. The saltiness of them was over powering, and he was beginning to feel the urge to comfort her. The hanyou walked into her tidy room with a quietness.

         He saw Kagome laying there on her bed, amiss to his presence. By the heaviness of her breathing he could tell that she was in a light sleep. InuYasha just stood there, watching her as she wandered off in a dream land. Hopefully one better than reality.

         He was unsure of how long he had been standing there. Minutes? Hours? Maybe even days. Time was something that seemed to slip through him at the moment, it made no sense, nor was it something he cared for. All the knew was that he was in Kagome's room, watching her sleep. For once, he was lodged in the present, something he was never able to do.

         'Not until I met Kagome.'

         He heard a soft moan. Kagome's breathing seemed to lighten. She was awakening. Every one of his demon instincts that he had told him to run. Yet every muscle he had refused to follow its order. Perhaps it was his human heart calling out to her, although it seemed odd. That was the part of him that held him back. It was always his demon side that pressed the importance of loving her. For not the first time, he damned his weak, human emotions.

         Perhaps it was that he was scared. Scared that Kagome would find him looking at her unknown. It was not like him to run from a problem. Usually he would face it head strong. But when it came to matters of the heart, he was a coward. He still did not have the strength to tell Kikyo that he was not in love with her... That when he looked back... He never had been.

         Things were so different then... Unloved as well as unwanted. He was prey in the eyes of vengeful demons, a laugh if nothing more, and a gut wrenching shame as well as a thing of mistrust in the presents of humans. He carried the facade of anger and bitterness. When all he really held was love, awaiting to be released.

         When he left his village in search of a jewel that held remarkable power, he came across Kikyo. His heart froze for a moment. She... She seemed almost perfect. Almost how ever was the key word. He had the feeling that she seemed familiar... like he almost knew her. In a sense, ginger ale instead of champagne. But he had never know that these types of emotions excised. He ceased them while he could.

         In an odd enough turn of fates, Kikyo returned them, but things never felt like they belonged. But someone loved him! Him! A hanyou, a worthless hanyou! It seemed impossible, and when he felt the arrow pierce him to the tree, he knew it was. He knew that he would never know what love really was like. He had known a friend in the short time he had, before he was betrayed.

         When Kagome came near him, he awoke, with a startle.

         'Its.... Her.'
His mind beckoned. He opened his eyes for the first time in fifty years, not knowing who this 'her' was, nor where she stood. When his golden eyes met the world, he found a girl, bathed in the sweet scent of milk and honey at him. His demon side whispered to him.

         'She is what you were looking for.'

         But he didn't want to believe it. The pain of the arrow, was a constant reminder of the pain of Kikyo. He wasn't ready for, nor wanting the prospect of love. All he wanted was revenge. But at the moment, a girl, who seemed to hold some importance to him, was lodged on his body, holding him in fear. The feeling to protect her over whelmed him. But it was useless. The spell was unbreakable to him, and after much reasoning, she pulled him free of him of it.

         In just moments after word, all mostly in a blur that seemed to mock time, she had shattered the jewel, and he was raging with a fury that seemed to be more fearful than an angry god. But in a short time, it dissipated, and he slowly started to believe the whispers his demon side was feeding him.

         But it didn't matter now. Over time, he had found that it was useless to look back, and over such time, he had found that he did not want too. What was of importance was that Kagome was starting to open her eyes, and within milliseconds, she would turn to see him. Standing, alone, watching her while she slept.

         Some how, he mustered up the will power to leave. He was undecided if he was thankful or not. But facing her, awake that is, would mean her possibly telling him that she would have nothing more to do with him. He leapt out of her window and on to her balcony. stopped for a second, listening to the soft noises she gave off as she awoke.

         Suddenly, with out warning, he heard her give off a soft gasp.
        
          "Huh."

         The hanyou froze.

         "InuYasha..." She said softy.

         His heart began to beat faster and faster.

         "You were here..." She said as she examined to foot prints he left behind on the floor.

         As Kagome walked to the open window, he was able to feel her foot steps grow nearer and nearer. She stuck her head out the window, as he sunk further back against the walls of the house. She began to shut her window, then decided against it, as she walked off, InuYasha heard the call of her mother say it was time for school.

about the long time since I updated! I have been busy, and trying to think of the best ending for my other story, Under Anothers Watchful Eye has not been the easiest decision either. I have a few ideas though ;) So please bare with me as I wrap it up.

         If you like the story, please review!!! I like knowing I am not writing to no one. lol. :)