InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ We've Been Here For So Long ❯ Remember Heartbreak ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Inuyasha sighed to himself. Kagome had sounded a little miffed after he’d hung up with her. Ever since they were younger she had always been able to get him to feel guilty. He had never felt he owed anyone until they day he first made her cry. It had been an accident, but still he felt utterly responsible.









Kagome and he had been sitting on the swings like they usually did at recess. She was his best friend, and he spent most of his time with her, protecting her from the bullies, and classmates who picked on her.



“Inuyasha, you don’t have to just sit here with me. You can go play with your other friends,” She had told him. He just looked up at her, and flashed her an impish grin.



“Nah, my other friends are all dorks,” Was his reply. She smiled at him, and kicked her feet off the ground swaying back and forth from the light push. He jumped down off his swing and stood behind her, grabbing the chains and pulling them back.



“Here, I’ll give you a push,” He told her. She nodded, and soon she was soaring high laughing as he charged under her swing, being a dare devil. He hopped back on his own swing, and watched her for a few minutes, until her swing slowed. He was about to push her again when a group of boy’s from his grade came over.



“Awe, look isn’t it cute,” One of them said, sneering at Inuyasha. He just glared back and came to stand in front of Kagome.



“Beat it butt face,” Inuyasha all but growled. The boy laughed, and turned to his friends.



“I think he’s in love with her. They’ll probably get married soon. How cute,” The boy teased. Inuyasha just clenched his fist at his side, and glared at the boy.



“Shut up it’s not like that,” He shouted. The boy didn’t seem to get it. He wasn’t in love with her, he was just friends with her. Love was for babies.



“Please, you two are always together. She’s only a stupid little third grader. You’re to stupid to know who’s your own age,” The boy taunted. Inuyasha just narrowed his eyes, and cracked his knuckles menacingly.



“Shut up. I know she’s just a stupid girl. I was only being nice to her because I felt sorry for her,” He shouted. Behind him he heard Kagome slide off her swing, and he turned to see her run away. He clenched his fists and hung his head.



‘Stupid,’ He berated himself. He looked up at the boy, and before he knew what he was doing he had punch him hard in the nose. He took little satisfaction in it before he went to find Kagome.



It didn’t take him long to find her curled under a picnic table, her eyes clouded from crying, and cheeks glistening with tears. He crawled underneath it with her, and waited for her to speak. When she didn’t he, looked up at her, and met her tearful gaze.



“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean what I said,” He told her. She just nodded, and wiped the tears from her eyes.



“I know. I just don’t want you to be mad,” She said to him. He looked at her questioningly, and she just sighed.



“I think you should play with your own friends. Their just going to make fun of you if you hang around me,” She told him. He just snorted, and wiped a tears from her cheek.



“I don’t care about that. You’re my friend, not them”.



He was called to the office later that day and got a week’s detention for punching the boy. But it didn’t mater to him because Kagome had forgiven him, and to him it was worth it.










Inuyasha turned off his television and looked over at his clock. It was late and he had a morning class to go to, before he was to meet up with Kagome, Sango, and Miroku for a late breakfast. He got up and stretched heading down a small hall to his bedroom. Beside his bed on a small stand was an alarm clock and two picture frames. He smiled at them and picked up one, staring down at the smiling face of himself and Kagome.



It had been taken at her graduation party last year. It was his favorite picture of them. She had her arm wrapped around his neck, pulling his head level with hers as she kissed his cheek. It was cute, or rather she was. That day had been that best in her life, she had always hated school. But who would blame her she’d always had trouble, with being picked on and taunted, but he had always been there, at least until he graduated. Her senior year he knew had been hard.



“That stupid no good boyfriend of hers,” Inuyasha growled, remembering the brown haired boy. He had cause her some much grief, and then just ditched her after graduation.



“I swear if I ever…,” He stopped himself. He already knew what he would do, he’d beat his into nothingness. That’s what he’d do.










Kagome sighed as she rolled over in her bed. Sango was fast asleep and of course she had the right to be, since it was one in the morning. Kagome cursed her insomnia, she blamed it on the nightmare she’d had. It was the same one that always plagued her when she started at a new school. Being lost in a school and taunted by endless faceless mobs. She didn’t understand why people had to be so cruel.



‘I only know a few people in my life who haven’t treated me like dirt. Sango, Miroku… and Inuyasha,’ She thought to herself. Then another name popped up in her mind, and she cursed it, pushing the thought from her mind.



‘Sure he had been nice at first,’ She reprimanded. ‘But then he showed his true colors. Stupid jerk. I should of never gotten involved with him and his gang of friends,” She scolded herself. But still she couldn’t say she didn’t enjoy the time she’d spent with Koga. She just didn’t like how things were when he hung out with his nasty friends.



‘They were always drunk or high, and regarded every girl as a free for all sex toy… Disgusting pigs’. She frowned at the thought and shook the thoughts from her head. She’d never get to sleep if she kept thinking. But she knew that once she got started it was impossible to sleep. Her mind tended to wandered when she was tired, it never shut off, just rambled and caused her grief. Kagome groaned as she screwed her eyes shut.



“Shut up you stupid head,” She mumbled out loud. Across the room Sango grunted as she shifted in bed, Kagome smiled. Sango could probably sleep through anything.










Kagome woke up in the morning groggily, she didn’t know how much sleep she had gotten, but she knew it wasn’t a lot. Sango had already left when she had woken, and left her a reminder that they were going out for breakfast with the guys after their first class.



“I don’t want to go to class,” She mumbled miserably. But still she got up, and showered and then got dressed. She was running a little late and she still had to find the building.



Lucky for her their were maps set up in the first floor of the freshman dorms, so she would know how to go. She ran at top speed to the science department, and was happy to find the class was only half full. She took a seat rather close to the front since science had always bored her and she needed to be close in order to pay attention.



“Hey, Kaggy,” some one called to her. She turned to see a chipper blonde girl race toward her. She groaned. Amber, of course, it had to be Amber.



“Hi, Amber. I didn’t know you applied to Wood Pine,” Kagome said politely. Amber looked at her with wide eyes as she took a seat beside her.



“Yeah, I did… I hope this isn’t going to be awkward. I mean, with you not dating my brother anymore,” Amber said. Kagome felt a tug in her heart, and she forced a smile.



“Of course not. We’re still friends, even though you’re brother is a jerk,” Kagome told her sweetly. Amber laughed, and then nodded enthusiastically.



“Yeah, he can be. All though I was sad when he told me he was ending it with you. I’m sure if he wasn’t afraid of commitment he would of married you… I think he really loved you,” Amber said dreamily. Kagome had to stop herself from gagging, and then crying. Sure they had only dated a little over a year, but he was her first boyfriend. So of course she had thought it would last forever, and had hopes it would. But then again who ever said life was a fairy tale.



“I doubt he would of. He’s not one to be tied down, he’s like a wandering wolf, always looking for the next catch,” Kagome grimaced. Amber laughed beside her.



“That was good, you should be an author. I think you could make it somewhere,” Amber laughed. Kagome just laughed to, and then they fell quiet as class started.



Maybe it wouldn’t be to bad to have Amber in her class. After all she was good in science and they had been pretty close while she dated Koga. But still she wasn’t sure if she wanted Koga to be the base of their friendship, she didn’t know how she could handle talking about him. After all her heart was still in shambles.










He had lead her away from her friends and family at the party so they could talk alone. He was smiling at her, and she gripped his hand tighter as they came to sit in the hammock that was set up in her back yard. She had always loved that spot, she and Inuyasha often spent nights out there when they were little star gazing, and what not.



Koga and her took a seat, and he gazed into her eyes for the longest time. His enchanting blue eyes searching hers for something.



“Hey Kagome. I’ve been wanting to… tell you something for the longest time,” He started. Kagome blushed, she never knew what he would say, but she had hoped it included three very special words.



“Yeah, what is it?,” She prompted, smiling at him. He sighed as he looked up at the sky for a few minutes, and then back to her.



“I like you a whole lot. I’ve never been in a relationship that’s lasted as long as this one, and I’d have to admit it’s been a lot of fun”. Kagome laughed at this, and held his hands in hers. He seemed to hesitate, but he didn’t pull them away.



“Koga, what’s this really all about. You’ve never been so serious before,” Kagome questioned, smiling at him fondly. He met her gaze for a second, and then let it linger some where into the distance.



“… I, I think this needs to end,” He said. Kagome looked at him confused, before he met her gaze again.



“What are you saying?,” She asked him. He sighed and pulled his hands from her grip.



“I’m saying I want to break up. Look Kagome you’re a really great girl and all, but with college coming up. I just want to start new,” He said quickly. Kagome blinked a couple times before she realized what he was saying. Tears clouded her vision, but she held them back not wanting to appear weak.



“I see…,” She said. Koga watched her for a few seconds, he felt bad for doing it, but he didn’t want any kind of serious commitment when he was going into college. He wanted to be free to explore all his options.



“Kagome, you know I care a lot for you. But I really want to just be able to… explore my options in college. Besides it’s best we go our separate ways. Long distance relationships never work,” He told her. Kagome looked up at him, and smiled at him. It unnerved him, that sweet smile.



“It’s fine. I understand,” She told him, her voice was brave and so was her face, but inside it felt like her heart was being ripped to pieces. “I guess I could see why you want to be free of commitment”.



Koga looked at her, he was somewhat relieved she was taking it so well, but he was also nervous. She smiled at him, and then patted his hand, before she got up.



“I’m going to go back to the party now, after all it’s a celebration right? High school is finally over,” She said, as she stood. She started to walk away, and then she turned around to smile at him again, but it was a sad one. It made Koga’s heart wrench.



“And so are we”.



She didn’t return to the party after that, no she went down the block to the park nearby and climbed into her favorite tree. She did it often when she was younger, when she was upset or sad. It was a comfort. And that’s were she finally let herself cry, she cried because she had realized she loved Koga. She cried because she had wanted things to last, after all he was her first boyfriend, and first love. Why shouldn’t she feel like crap. Everything seemed to be falling apart.



Inuyasha found her two hours later, he climbed up there and sat on the branch opposite her. He just sat there, and watched her. It was all he did, he was always there and always the one to make everything better. And Kagome felt a twinge of relief and hope when she looked up at him. He would never leave her, and that was a comfort she wanted and needed right then. So they sat there in that tree for another hour or so, until she was ready to go home. And he walked with her, silently. He was always there, and he never needed to say anything. Because just knowing he was close by made any situation all the more bearable.