InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ We've Been Here For So Long ❯ Speed Racer ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Kagome slumped into her chair opposite Sango as they waited for their male companions to arrive. She gave her friend a weak smile, before flagging down a waitress and ordering a coffee.



“So, I’m guessing your class didn’t go so well?,” Sango asked her. Kagome rolled her eyes, and reached up to sweep her bangs from her face.



“It was boring. Why I took it I haven’t a clue. But I also found out that Amber is in it, I hadn’t even known she was applying for Wood Pine,” Kagome said in exasperation. Sango frowned slightly, and shook her head.



“I’m sure she doesn’t keep close contact with Koga. After all he’s half way across the world, right? Or at least half way across the country,” Sango told her. Kagome laughed bitterly and glanced out the window beside her. It was chilly outside, and yet people were still bustling about the streets like the weather had no affect on them.



“I’m not worried about that. But all she did today was talk about him and how he really loved me and all that crap. I wanted to yell at her, but she was the only person in my class I knew. And she’s good at science so I’m hoping she’ll be helpful to me. Still it was hard to think about the past…,” Kagome sighed, and looked back to Sango who was watching her with a sympathetic look.



“You’ll get over it, you’ll find someone one day that’s way better then that jerk Koga. Until then just keep a smile on your face, and don’t let the past upset you. After all the past is the past, right?,” Sango said with a smile. Kagome nodded, and then the waitress arrived with her coffee, as well as Inuyasha and Miroku tagging along behind her.



Inuyasha smiled and took his seat beside her, while Miroku sat beside Sango, much to her dismay.



“Keep your hands on the table were I can see them. If you try anything I won’t hesitate to stick a fork in your leg,” Sango groused. Miroku smiled nervously and did as she said. Inuyasha laughed, and shook his head at their antics.



“She’s got you well trained,” He laughed. Miroku just sent a glare at him, before he turned to look out the window purposely.



“So anyways, how was your first classes at college?,” Inuyasha asked. Kagome sipped her coffee, before glancing at him.



“Boring, and stupid. I hope my other classes are better,” Kagome grumbled. Inuyasha sighed and shook his head, she was never one to like school.



“It’ll get better. I think,” He said, trying to comfort her. She gave him a skeptical look before returning to sip her coffee. Sango rolled her eyes at them. They always ended up in their own little world when they were together, and she again had to wonder what was stopping them from getting together.



“What about you Sango, how was your class?,” Miroku asked. Sango eyed him before shrugging her shoulders.



“Nothing special. I’m more looking forward to my English class, it’s suppose to be interesting,” She replied. Miroku nodded thoughtfully, but his eyes weren’t on her face, more like on her chest. Sango’s eye twitched as she reached for her fork. Miroku noticed and quickly snapped his attention to the fork instead.



“First it’s your hands and then your eyes I have to worry about. Keep them above the neck, or I swear I’ll gouge them out,” Sango threatened. Miroku swallowed nervously before shifting his chair a little further away from her.



“So, anyways,” He said, clearing his throat. Kagome smiled at them, and then her attention shifted to the waitress who had appeared beside her.



“What can I get you folks?,” She asked kindly. Kagome smiled, and turned to look at Inuyasha.



“You start us off Inu,” She said.









The day hadn’t been to eventful and he’d just gotten home after his Social Science class, which hadn’t been to great or exciting either. Inuyasha sighed to himself as he flicked through the channels on his television. There wasn’t anything on and he still had two hours until his next class. He glanced at the clock, and noticed it was getting close to when Kagome was out of her third class. She had promised to stop by and hang out, and he was looking forward to having someone to talk to.



‘Only another half an hour,’ He thought to himself. He sighed and flicked off the television before getting to his feet and making his way to his bedroom to gather his books. He wanted to be ready, he usually ended up late to this class because he could never find his books.










Kagome grumbled to herself miserably as she hit yet another red light. It seemed like the world was against her today, either that or she had the worst luck.



“Figures I hit red lights the whole way. Inuyasha’s gonna just laugh, he never hits red,” She said aloud. She fiddled with the radio station before stopping on a song she liked. She hummed along with it until she could go, she punched down the gas pedal determined to not to get stuck behind the next red light.



“I’m gonna make it!,” Kagome told herself. The light ahead turned yellow and she cursed, but she couldn’t stop now, so she hit the gas harder. The light turned red just as she passed under it, she felt her heart race in her chest as she let out a happy shout. She slowed down to the speed limit, and sighed.



“Well, that was exciting,” She said. Ahead she saw Inuyasha’s apartment building and she smiled.










It had been right after he had gotten his license. He had begged his father to lend him his mustang. Of course his father denied him it, but that never stopped the boy from getting what he wanted.



“I can’t believe you. You do know that if we’re caught you lose your license and your probably going to be grounded until your thirty,” Kagome berated the silver haired youth. Inuyasha turned his golden orbs to her, humor clearly showing in them.



“You’re just scared. You’ve never had any guts to do anything bad,” He told her with a laugh. Kagome glared at him from the passenger seat, and then turned to pull on her seat belt as he started the car.



“I just don’t want to die before I turn seventeen,” She replied snippily. Inuyasha rolled his eyes and pulled out of her driveway, and then he shot off down the street.



It was well past midnight, and the streets were bare of anyone. Because who in their right mind would be up this late. Well, duh, teenagers who liked to drag race of course. Inuyasha had said he’d waited a long time to be able to do this. He’d been friends with the rough crowd since they had entered High school, though his relationship with the group of boys wasn’t anything outside of school. With of course the exception of now.



“Hey, Rio. When is this race starting, I’m getting antsy just sitting here,” Inuyasha called out his window. A tall boy with spiked red hair looked over at him, and sighed.



“Dammit, hold your horses. We gotta make sure there ain’t any cops around,” Rio called back. Inuyasha scowled and rolled his eyes, before he turned back to Kagome.



“This is going to be awesome. You sure you don’t want to get in?”.



From where Kagome stood outside the car, she gave him a deadpan look, crossing her arms over her chest.



“No way, if you get caught I don’t want to be dragged down with you. It’s bad enough I even came out here, you do know if my mother ever finds out I’m dead,” She replied. Inuyasha laughed at her.



“So, what difference does it make if you’re in the car? C’mon it’s gonna be fun,” He said, raising an eyebrow at her. Kagome looked around hesitantly, biting her lip in her indecision. With a dramatic sigh she finally opened the car door and got in.



“There’s my girl. This is gonna be awesome,” He said, his tone holding barely contained excitement. Rio approached them, and leaned in on Inuyasha’s open window.



“All right, we’ve got a go. You know the rules, stick to the straight away, and no ramming, this isn’t bumper cars,” He said, a smirk on his pale lips. Inuyasha laughed, and then he rolled up his window as Rio stepped away to stand in between the two cars.



“Seat belt Inuyasha,” Kagome told him, as she buckled her own. Inuyasha rolled his eyes and pulled his on quickly, before returning to rev his engine. Kagome looked quite desperate for something to hold onto, but in the end she just locked her door, and counted in her head.



“Ready…steady…,” Inuyasha was saying, and then in a sudden jolt they were off down the road. Kagome screeched, and Inuyasha just laughed, keeping his eyes on the finish line.









Inuyasha jumped when his door opened and Kagome waltzed in. He cursed being caught unaware, but then he smiled at her as she slumped onto the couch next to him after shutting the door. He looked at her, and shook his head.



“I thought you weren’t gonna come. What took you so long?,” He asked. Kagome gave him a blank look before letting out a sigh.



“I had bad luck and hit every red light on the way here,” She replied. Inuyasha clunked his tongue at her, shaking his head in a slow manner.



“You’re hopeless. You wouldn’t have hit those lights if you went a little over the speed limit,” He said. Kagome laughed, and rolled her eyes.



“Well, I don’t have such luck as you and most likely I’d get caught and then get a ticket from a cop who was in a bad mood,” She replied. Inuyasha let out a bark of laughter, before he could stop himself. Kagome just glared at him before turning her head to glance at the clock.



“Shoot, I’ve got class in like twenty minutes. Gods, why is this day just not getting any better,” She groaned. Inuyasha rolled his eyes at her.



“Tomorrow will be better,” He said simply. Kagome snorted at this, and gave his a humorless look.



“Ok Mister Optimistic,” She replied with sarcasm. Inuyasha shrugged it off, and then jumped to his feet.



“I’ll give you a ride to class. I’ll get you there in ten and you can have time to find a good seat in class,” He told her. Kagome smiled at him.



“Thanks, Speed Racer,” Kagome quipped.