InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ We've Been Here For So Long ❯ Going Home ( Chapter 21 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Kagome stared at him for a long time, her mouth set in a thoughtful frown. Inuyasha just fidgeted nervously, he always hated when she was silent, and it usually meant either she was angry, depressed, or worrying about something. He knew she was probably all of those at the moment.



“Well, what do you think?” He asked her again. Kagome blinked.



“No,” She answered flatly. Inuyasha raised an eyebrow at her, and she shook her head.



“Why not?” Inuyasha asked. Kagome balanced her head on her hand, letting her eyes drift to the window.



“Because, I don’t want to put that kind of pressure on you. I hate it when I’m a bother to someone, I can’t even stand bothering Sango with this. I just, don’t want to,” She told him after a long moment. Inuyasha felt a sinking feeling in his stomach and a twang in his chest. He’d always been the one to take care of her, and now when she needed him most, she was refusing his help.



“I’ve always been there for you. So what difference does it make now, I will take care of you,” He told her. Kagome sighed, and sat up in her seat staring across the table at him pointedly.



“I don’t want you too, this is something that I need to do for myself and by myself. I can’t keep leaning on everyone, I hate it I feel like I owe so much and there isn’t anyway I could ever give it back. I just, need to do this on my own, I don’t want to be a little girl anymore”.



Inuyasha fell silent and let his eyes stray from her intense gaze for a moment. He’d never thought about how she felt when it came to being taken care of, he’d never thought she didn’t like that and felt so uneasy about it. She had always be the younger of them and he’d just fell into the natural big brother role, and now he just wanted to be there and be part of her pregnancy. This was the biggest part of her life now, and he felt almost as if she was denying him that chance to be part of it.



“Inuyasha, are you mad?”



“Keh, what do I care you don’t need me in your life. That’s fine, it’s your deal”. He looked up at her, and instantly regretted his words, when he saw the tears brimming her wide eyes. But pride got the better of him, and he didn’t take them back, he just looked back to his food, and stuffed a fry in his mouth. Kagome didn’t sit there for much longer; she just stood up silently and walked away. He heard the bell on the shop door ding happily as she left, and he looked up spotting her outside picking up a payphone by the road. She was probably calling Sango to pick her up, but he wasn’t going to stop her, not even he wanted to be with himself at that moment.










“What an idiot, I can’t believe he said something like that to her,” Sango fumed. Miroku nodded in agreement, glancing to the couch in his living room where Kagome was taking a nap. She’d called an hour or so earlier asking for Sango, and then when they got back the water works started and she passed out afterward from exhaustion.



“I mean, you ask him to do one little thing that should make her happy and he screws it up. I, I just can not believe him”.



“Just calm down, it’ll work out. Kagome and him just need to calm down and then things will get better. I’m sure it was just a misunderstanding or something,” Miroku reassured her. Sango sighed again and took a seat in the kitchen chair.



“They are always misunderstanding each other. Or more like Inuyasha isn’t listening and Kagome’s losing her temper, it really is just a bit crazy,” Sango said with a sigh. Miroku gave a noncommittal shrug and leaning back in his chair, and doing a balancing act on its back legs. Sango watched him with a bored expression.



“You know one of these days your just going to topple over, and do you know what I’m going to do?”



“No, what?” Miroku replied sardonically.



“Laugh my head off”.










‘So she’s mad. Really mad, and once again I’m the idiot who caused it,’ Inuyasha deduced. He was lying sprawled out on his bed staring at the ceiling. He’d collapsed there after he’d gotten home from a rather strenuous day of work and hadn’t moved since. He glanced again at the answering machine blinking beside his bed. He knew at least half of those messages were from Sango or Miroku yelling at him about Kagome. And maybe a few from his father wondering where he was, and then if the world was really out to get him, maybe one from an ex-girlfriend who was back in town out to murder him.



“Ha, I’m pathetic,” He laughed listlessly. He finally found the strength to roll over and off the bed, and made his way to the bathroom for a long soak in the shower.



‘Maybe if I give her some room to breath for a little bit, she won’t feel it necessary to say, strangle me with my own hair… or I could go and grovel. Or ignore the problem until it escalates or perhaps fades from memory…’



Inuyasha shook his head clear of his cumbersome thoughts, and focused instead on the steady stream of hot water streaming down on him. He leaned his head against the cool tile of the shower wall and closed his eyes. He just needed to think about something else, something that wouldn’t give him a headache. Something like…



‘Cars… yeah, cars are great,’ He thought with a smile.










Kagome sat up in her bed and glanced across the dark dorm room to the bed where Sango was fast asleep. She felt bad for ending Sango’s time with Miroku, the two of them had been getting along so well and now she wished she hadn’t been being so selfish.



‘Sango’s being so kind and helpful, I feel as if I’m taking advantage of her generosity. Gods, I’m so stupid’. Kagome sighed dejectedly and reached over to turn the light on beside her bed. She got up and made her way over to her dresser and pulled open the top draws.



‘I don’t know what to do, so I’m just going to go back to my mother’s. It’s not fiat to Sango if I stay and cause problems for her,’ She thought. She reached under her bed to retrieve her suitcase and started packing some essentials, before closing it. She wrote a note to Sango explaining where she was going, but not why and then she left quietly, slipping out the door.