InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ We've Been Here For So Long ❯ Month Six and Baby Names ( Chapter 24 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

             He shifted again in his seat, and gazed out the window at the passing cars, as his fingers tapped to the beat on the radio. Kagome had told him to wait in the car, that she would be quick. She had just run into the doctor’s office, to pick up the sonogram pictures and told him he didn’t need to come. Inuyasha reached to fiddle with the radio surfing through a few channels before he stopped on a heavy metal channel. He looked back at the doors of the building, and then let out a sigh.


“Come on Kag,” He grumbled, clutching the steering wheel. He didn’t feel like being patient, it wasn’t fun just waiting, he hated waiting. He realized he was gripping the wheel a little tight and let go, cracking his knuckles.


“This is so boring”


Kagome came out then and he sat up in his seat, watching her as she came down the steps. She had changed over the few months they’d been living together, her stomach now bulged, but she hid it well by wearing his shirts, which were loose on her. She smiled at him as she opened the door and slid into the passenger seat.


“Want to see my baby?” She asked, her voice bubbling with excitement. Inuyasha smiled and she pulled out a filmy black sheet from the manila envelope she’d been holding.


“Where’s the baby?” Inuyasha asked. Kagome laughed and pointed to a blurb on the sheet.


“There’s its head, and then down here are the feet, and right here is the heart,” She said. Inuyasha watched as her finger traced the outline of the baby, pointing it out. He couldn’t see the baby, but he didn’t say anything, because Kagome looked so happy, as she looked down at the black pictures.


“Did you find out if it’s going to be a boy or a girl?” Inuyasha asked. Kagome looked up at him with a shake of her head.

“No, I want it to be a surprise, I’ll love this baby if it’s a boy or a girl. Besides, I love surprises”


“Yeah, well I’m hoping for a boy. So I can teach him everything I know,” Inuyasha replied. Kagome laughed, her cheeks flushed. She seemed to always be flushed now, her disposition cheery and calm. Being six months along now, she was well past her morning sickness, and crankiness, to a point. But she definitely didn’t feel as emotional unstable as she had in the first few months.


“So, what are you up to today?” Kagome asked, settling in her seat. She reached to tug the seatbelt across herself, holding the bottom half tucked beneath her belly.


“Work, work, and more work. I’ll be gone most of the day, so you’ll be on your own, unless of course Sango comes to visit you or something,” Inuyasha told her. Kagome smiled, reaching forward top change the radio station to something more soothing.


“Keh, stop doing that, I’d like to for once be able to enjoy my own music,” He grouched. Kagome looked over at him with a smile.


“That crap isn’t good for the baby, or my head. I don’t understand how you can listen to it,” Was her retort. Inuyasha grumbled again, not willing to get into that argument again, she always won out in the end.




       & nbsp;    Sango lifted the book into her hand, and opened it letting the pages ruffle past her fingers before she stopped on one page with a jab of her finger. Her eyes skimmed the page, and word under her finger.


“Elizabeth,” She said. Kagome looked up from the small note book she had balanced on her lap, the pencil she was holding, tapping against her chin in thought.


“It’s a good name, though I’d rather something a little more interesting,” She said. Sango laughed and closed the book again, opening it once more, before jabbing her finger inside to stop on a page once more.


“Julian,” She read. Kagome’s eyes lit up and she quickly jotted the name down.


“Adorable. Not very traditional, but cute all the same,” She said. Sango rolled her eyes.


“If you want a traditional name, maybe we should be looking in the Japanese baby name book, not the American one,” Sango replied. Kagome smiled.


“Yeah, but I might find one in here, I like, besides this is fun, don’t you think?”


“Yeah, maybe for the first hour, but now we’re bordering on the third hour, and you’ve got a list the fills five pages. You’ll never be able to decide” Kagome pouted at her friend, glancing down at the notebook full of names before her.


“Yes I will, besides naming a child is a big thing. It has to be the perfect name. I don’t want to ever regret naming my child. This is important,” Kagome said in a huffy tone. Sango sighed heavily.


“I know that, but can we please take a break, there’s only so much searching a girl can do”


“Fine, but what do you want to do instead?” Kagome asked. Sango glanced at the clock in the kitchen visible from her seat.


“Um, I’ve actually got a date in a half an hour. Maybe I can come back afterward, and we can look again?” Sango asked. Kagome blinked, and then let out a giggle.


“Silly, you should have told me you had plans today, and I wouldn’t have made you stay so long. Now hurry on home and get ready for Miroku,” She scolded. Sango grinned gratefully before she got to her feet. She gave Kagome a quick hug, before grabbing her purse and jacket, waiting by the door.


“I’ll call you later, okay?” Kagome waved a hand at her, and Sango laughed, before leaving. After she was gone, Kagome picked up the baby book from where Sango had left it, leafing through a few pages before pausing to glance down a page.


“Evan . . . ” She smiled, picking up her pencil again. “That’s a good one”