InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ We've Been Here For So Long ❯ overtime ( Chapter 25 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

“Damn it all”


There was a loud clattering as the wrench Inuyasha had been using was flung from beneath the car and skidded across the cement floor. He grumbled as he rolled out from under it, his face splattered by oil. He’d been working for what seemed like forever on this car, and he was about to give it up. He reached for the rag he’d stuck in a belt loop of his work outfit, and wiped the oil away.


“I would appreciate if you didn’t abuse the tools” Inuyasha jumped at the voice, getting to his feet to look over the car top to where Greg stood holding the so-called abused wrench. He scowled and then let out a haggard breath.


“Sorry, lost my temper,” He apologized. Greg chuckled tossing the tool n the air and catching it again.


“It happens to the best of us. So you about done?” He asked. Inuyasha made a sound in the back of his throat and grimaced.


“No, I’m like not getting anywhere. I’m just about stumped as what to do,” he replied. Greg nodded, coasting toward his, and patting him on the back.


“You head home, I’ll take over. Besides you’ve done enough overtime, I’m beginning to think you’re trying to stay away from home”


Inuyasha glanced at the clock hanging on the wall, and hissed a few curses. He’s been off work for three hours now, and he hadn’t even realized.


“Thanks Greg, I’ll see you tomorrow” He didn’t wait for his reply as he walked off quickly. He was determined to get home now and make sure Kagome didn’t think he’d abandoned her.


          ;   He heard their voices before he’d even opened the door, and he smiled knowing Kagome hadn’t probably even realized he’d been gone longer than expected. He pushed open the door to find her and her blonde haired friend Amber, sitting on the couch, both laughing at something.


“Welcome home,” Kagome announced. She had been facing the door, and she smiled at him with brimming, mirthful eyes.


“Yeah, hi” He replied. Kagome blinked her face taking on a more concerned temperament.


“Did something happen?” She asked. Inuyasha waved a dismissive hand and tossed his keys onto the table by the door.


“Just a long day. I’m going to get cleaned up” He said, before he left the room. Kagome turned back to Amber, smiling.


“Poor guy, he works a lot. I feel bad, I he’d let me get a job,” She sighed. Amber smiled at her friend and reached across to pat her hand where it lay on her leg.


“Don’t worry hun, I’m sure he doesn’t want you to strain yourself. You are caring a baby after all”


Kagome nodded, grinning back at her, her hand trailing up to her stomach. Amber had come to find her living in Inuyasha’s apartment, after asking her mother about her condition. Kagome had been reluctant at first to tell the girl the complete story, but Amber had already come to figure most of it out. Kagome was thankful for her now, because the girl had been such a good friend. Amber had even gotten Kouga in trouble with his father, and he had been forced to move back home, so that his parents could keep an eye on him, and make sure he didn’t waste his education.


“I can’t believe in a few months time, I’ll be coming home with a baby. I’m a little bit scared,” Kagome admitted. Amber laughed and sat back against the cushions.


“Who wouldn’t be, having a child changes everything, but I’m sure you know that” She replied. “But I can tell you’ll be a good mother, you’re just that type of person”


“Thanks” Kagome let out another sigh, her hand still on her stomach. The phone rang then, making them both jump. Kagome got up to answer it.


“Hello?”


“Ah, the fair Kagome, would you please get Inuyasha for me?” Kagome laughed.


“I’m afraid dear Miroku, that he is taking a shower, shall I have him call you back?”


“Of course, and thank you” There was a click and then the tone sounded. Kagome let out a huff and placed the phone back on it’s cradle.


“So what are your plans now that Inuyasha is back?” Amber asked. Kagome didn’t sit back down, but made her way into the kitchen to make Inuyasha a quick snack. Amber got up to follow, leaning over the small window that looked into the kitchen.


“Well, he’s accompanying my mother and I to look at some cribs. But I haven’t really anything else to do after that” She replied. Amber nodded, balancing her hand on her head.


“Well, maybe we could go out to lunch afterward, I’ll meet you somewhere. I haven’t talked to your mother in so long,” Amber offered. Kagome smiled and glanced over her shoulder from the stove to smile.


“That sounds fine, I’m sure my mother would love to hear how college is going. Besides that means Inuyasha can head home to relax, and we can have some girl time,” She said.


“Good, all right. Well, I’m gonna go and leave you two be. You call me when you’ve decided somewhere, okay?”


“Right, I will” Amber nodded and then went to grab her coat and purse. She pulled open the door and waved a final good-bye before leaving. Inuyasha came out of the bathroom then, a billow of steam following him out. He scratched at his wet head, a long silver mane falling down his bare back. He looked up at the smell of cooking ramen, and grinned.


“I’m starving, and that smells great,” He commented. Kagome laughed, turning to glance at him. She froze a second, raising an eyebrow at him being clad only in his jeans.


“My hair’s wet,” He retorted. “I didn’t want to get my shirt wet”


“You know, instead of air drying it, you can towel it and then blow dry it. I honestly don’t see why you hate blow dryers so much” Inuyasha snorted as he took a seat at the kitchen table.


“They make my hair all fluffy and shit. I hate looking like a poodle,” He replied. Kagome snorted at the image and then shook her head.


“I can make it not fluffy. Let me try it, besides I don’t you walking around with a wet shirt while we’re out in the chilly weather, you’ll get sick”


“You’re not touching my hair, I’ll take the cold” He replied adamantly.


“You’re just being a baby, I won’t hurt you I promise and I’m not taking no for an answer”


“Keh, whatever” Kagome chuckled.