InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ We've Been Here For So Long ❯ The Trouble With Buckles And Bellies ( Chapter 30 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

             Kagome gave a withering glare at her foot that lay just out of her reach. Her fingers clenched against her protruding belly as she thought of another way she could reach that mocking foot and the buckle of her shoe that needed to be fastened. She had been struggling for the better part of ten minutes to fasten that stubborn buckle, but her damned belly got in the way every time. She let out a frustrated sigh blowing the bangs from her eyes as she felt herself losing her temper.


“I will not let you defeat me,” She huffed. She took a few shorts breaths and then lunged forward again, struggling to reach the strap and slip it through the buckle, she was so close this time. It slipped from her grasp once again and she let out a screech of annoyance.


“Inuyasha!” She bellowed, desperately.


From his room Inuyasha jumped up at the shout, successfully knocking over a lamp in his rush to get to Kagome. His heart racing and thoughts pouring through his mind. She was eight months pregnant, and each time she bellowed for him he seemed to be breaking more things around his house. He couldn’t help but worry, since she was so close to her due date, only one more month until the baby arrived.


“Are you in pain? Is the baby coming, should I call 911?” he asked in concern skidding into the living room. He looked at Kagome who was sitting livid on the couch. His panic subsided as she lifted her left foot and pointed at it accusingly.


“It won’t buckle,” She grumbled. Inuyasha couldn’t help the smile that crept onto his face, his thoughts of panic easing to a halt. He chuckled lightly under his breath and approached the huffy girl, grasping her ankle and setting her foot against his chest as he did the buckle for her.


“There, all better,” He said patronizingly, patting her foot. Kagome glared at him and yanked her foot back, before she got to her feet shuffling past him in the waddle she had been reduced to over the past month.


“Shut up, now lets go before you make me late for my appointment,” She groused. Inuyasha muttered a few choice words under his breath as he followed her out of the apartment, closing the door after himself.




Inuyasha let out a long sigh his body slipping into a slouch in his seat at the booth he and Miroku were now sharing. His friend chuckled at the action and eyed the half asleep man across from him.


“Perhaps we should reschedule, so you don’t fall asleep in your dinner,” Miroku chuckled. Inuyasha crack open an eye to glare at him.


“If I wasn’t so exhausted I’d throttle you. You try taking care of Kagome for one week, then we’ll see who’s falling asleep in their dinner,” He retorted. Miroku nodded and returned to looking at his menu.


“Ah, yes. How is Kagome by the way?” Miroku asked. Inuyasha snorted contemptuously and let out another long-winded sigh.


“Moody, bossy, whiny, and getting on my last nerve. I had no idea pregnant women could be so difficult,” He replied. Miroku nodded, keeping his snicker to himself.


“Yes, they are. But I’m sure that once this is over everything will be wonderful. Kagome is never so bossy or whiny, so for these past nine months its like she’s been making up for her whole nineteen years of life. She’ll be back to normal in no time,” Miroku said. Inuyasha looked at him with an incredulous look, before closing his eyes again.


“Right, and then I’ll have to take care of a whiny, temperamental, newborn who does nothing but cry, poop, and eat, oh and make my life a living hell”


“Really Inuyasha, if you don’t think you can handle it, ask her to move out. I’m sure her mother would love to have her daughter back,” Miroku said. Inuyasha looked up at this, guilt shining clearly on his face has he reached up to smack a hand to his face before letting it slid down and back onto the table.


“I don’t want that,” He said after a pause. He shook his head and then rested it back against the cushioned booth behind him.


“I thought so. I know your just tired right now, but I’m sure everything will get better in time,” Miroku told him. Inuyasha sighed once again, and closed his eyes, praying that his friend was right.




        ;     Kagome winced, resting her hand against the bulge of her stomach. The baby was unusually restless today, kicking and punching at her back and bladder, moving around and making her quite uncomfortable which ever way she sat. Kagome rubbed the sides of her stomach in a soothing motion, humming a light and cheery tune. She remembered when she was younger, and how her mother had always soothed her to sleep by rubbing her back and singing her a sweet tune. It was relaxing, and even listening to herself she felt her own eyes droop. She jumped and winced a moment later as a rather painful kick to her lower back made her sit up rigid.


“Can’t you just sit still for one moment,’ She muttered desperately. She let out a puff of air and decided she’d try walking around the apartment to sooth the restless child. Her back was killing her and her ankles were still swollen from her long trudge down the street from the grocery store.


“I wish Inu was here, all I want is a nice back rub,” She whimpered. She glanced at the clock in the kitchen and scrunched up her nose in distaste. It was only one in the afternoon, meaning he wouldn’t be home for another four or five hours. She grumbled a few curses and then started for her room.


Since her pregnancy had her unable to attend school, she had started a few projects to make her day not so boring. She learned how to knit, and then taught herself how to sew, and then she started cooking. She sighed again as the pain shot down her back and side, she rubbed at it an irritated frown gracing her features. Another gasp came as pain erupted this time from her womb, a quick jabbing that made her breath come in quick short pants. She felt herself begin to panic when the pain didn’t subside, and instead was accompanied with a rush of liquid seeping through her pants.


“I still have a month,” She cried, grasping the cloth stretched across her stomach. She panted again as the pain increased and she rushed into the living room searching for the phone. She didn’t think twice as she dialed 911, and gasped over the phone for help. The operator was kind and had a calming voice, telling her to remain calm and breath deeply, she stayed on the phone with her until the paramedics came to bang on her door.


“It’s all right now, just remember to breath,” The man clad in white told her. They helped her down the hall, and talked to her, as she winced from the contractions, mumbling incoherently about still having a month, that the baby was early.




        ;     Inuyasha grumbled as his pocket buzzed, making him jump and bump his head on the hood of the car he was currently working on. The number calling him wasn’t any he recognized, but he answered it still the same.


“Hello?”


“Is this Inuyasha?” Came the question in a formal tone.


“Yes”


“I’m a nurse at Tokyo General Hospital, I was calling to inform you that your friend, Kagome has been brought in with an emergency,” The nurse informed him. Inuyasha nearly dropped his phone.


“I-is the baby coming?” He asked.


“Yes, she’s in-,” Inuyasha didn’t hear the rest on the response as he promptly dropped his phone.