InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Are You? ❯ Chapter Twenty-Seven: Change ( Chapter 27 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Twenty-Seven
Change
 
When I had managed to pull myself from the dark abyss of slumber, the twins were still fast asleep beside me. I slipped carefully out of bed, silent as could be, mindful not to disturb them. I went to my quarters, one intent in mind.
I had made up my mind.
The children were born.
Now was the time…
Now I was going to make my wish.
Night had fallen. But that made sense. It had been twilight when labor had gripped me. The hallway was dark, but I knew this palace well. Inside my room, the same dark stillness enwrapped it. I lit a candle and set it down on the desk, the single light casting shadows on the wall like the memories of old ghosts. I opened a drawer and removed its sole content—the Shikon no Tama.
I held it in my hand, looking at its flawless surface for a moment, shifting it to catch the light of the candle, giving the rosy jewel a yellowish glow. I moved over to the screen that I always left open, slipping out of the gown. There was a rustle of cloth as it fell to the floor.
I felt free—free of the weight of two children. Free to make a life-changing choice. I was ready to do that.
The moonlight glistened off of the jewel in my hand. Tonight, I would finally be a man. I wondered what it would be like… to be a man. I would find out tonight. I would learn what it means to truly be a man soon. I was growing a bit nervous at the prospect, but also excited. This was the chance I had been waiting for—for such a long time. Why had I not thought of it sooner? Decades ago? Possibly, because I was so consumed with other things. The thought had never even occurred to me.
I heard footsteps. I listened to them, trying to decipher who it was by footfall alone. Rin. She was looking for me. I went back inside and set the jewel down on a table. I had no fear of thievery here.
I slipped into a silk kimono and slid open my door. I stepped out into the hall. “Rin?” I called.
She grinned and came running. She skidded to halt in front of me. “They wouldn't let me in to see. Are the twins here?”
s I shook my head slightly. “They're still in the other room,” I answered.
She nodded. “Sesshomaru-sama, can I see them?”
I nodded once and led the way, gesturing for her to be quiet. She obeyed. She was good at that. They were both still sound asleep. Demons often did that, though. They were not like human children—they were stronger.
Rin smiled, delighted to see the twins, both fast asleep and cuddled up to each other, as if they were still locked inside the womb. I let her look at them for a while, before I led her out. She chattered excitedly as I walked her back to her room. I would miss Rin when she was gone. But, maybe… Maybe it didn't have to be that way.
I laid her down to sleep and left her. I went back to my quarters, taking my time getting there. There was no need to rush. Tonight. It had to be tonight. I didn't want to put this off any longer.
I picked it up with two fingers and moved to the door, once more looking up at the nighttime luminaries. Tonight.
I looked at the Shikon no Tama.
There was so much hatred and bitterness in the world over this jewel. So much death and pain. All because of this little trinket.
I held it to my heart.
Now.
I had my desire in my mind. I closed my eyes, focusing on that single desire. I fed that desire to the jewel. It processed it, and the change took place.
 
*****
Author's Note: Questions, comments, or concerns of my sanity can be “commented” to me. I am also considering making either a prequel or a sequel, with something about the twins.