InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When We First Met ❯ Exhausting Training ( Chapter 39 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and gang. Rumiko Takahashi does.

When We First Met

Chapter 39

Exhausting Training
 
A week of hard training was killing Kagome. Of course she tried not to show it, it would only worry her companions. It was visible that the training was hard on her. She had bags under her eyes, she didn't smile as brightly, and Inuyasha had to carry her home a couple of times after late night training. He was worried of course but couldn't talk her out of it.
 
Inuyasha would watch her slowly drag herself everywhere. Her movements were sluggish and she slept hard at night. She stayed awake during her visits with Miroku and Sango but she would always look zoned out. They were all worried about her but she always assured them she was fine.
 
Kaede had warned her about the exhaustion she would face for a while. She would no longer tire as much depending on how strong her powers were and how fast she learned. Tapping into her powers was not an easy thing to do. Because her powers had laid dormant for so long they were `stale' as Kaede had described it.
 
After the week of watching Kagome exhausted he grew tired and went to see Kaede as she took a nap during the day. He knew she wouldn't like it but he was his mate and something needed to be done!
 
“Oi Kaede-baba!” He called out once he reached the hut.
 
“Okaa-san isn't going to like you calling her that.” Shippo said.
 
“Why the hell are you following me for?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“I'm worried about her too.” Shippo said.
 
“What is it Inuyasha? I doubt you're here for a casual conversation.” Kaede said as she motioned them to join her in the hut.
 
“No, I want to know why my mate has to come home passed out all the damn time!” Inuyasha yelled.
 
“Had she not explained the situation to you? She'll be exhausted until she gets better at controlling her powers.” Kaede explained. “It's not something you learn over night.”
 
“She told me. What the fuck have you been teaching her that makes her so damn tired?” Inuyasha demanded to know.
 
“Please refrain from using bad language, at least around Shippo. I know your protective of your mate but this will help her in the future when your not there to protect her.” Kaede explained.
 
“I'll always be there to protect her.” Inuyasha narrowed his eyes as if she was questioning his protection of her.
 
“I don't doubt that you would, but its good for her mind. She doesn't like depending on others you know that. Knowing that she can defend herself if need be is a great relief for her. She can't have all that power and not use it. She can be a great aid when your fighting Naraku.” Kaede said.
 
“I don't want her fighting that battle.” Inuyasha said sadly. Shippo had crawled into his lap with all the talking of fighting. He rubbed the Kit's head in reassurance and comfort.
 
“You know as well as everyone else she will fight. She blames herself for all the trouble with Naraku. She may say it doesn't bother her but she thinks different.” Kaede explained. “If it may be a burden to others then she doesn't reveal the problem. She takes matters into her own hands instead of asking others for help.”
 
Inuyasha sighed and thought about what Kaede had said. It was all true. Kagome was very independent. It's how she was raised and there was no way of changing that quality in her, and he wouldn't want to. “I guess I'll have to grin and bear it.” Inuyasha finally said. “I'll just do my best to protect her.”
 
“Remember to take care of yourself. If anything happened to you, Shippo, or her friends she would crumble.” Kaede said.
 
“I know.” Inuyasha smiled in that fact. Of course it was a sad thought but he tried to look on the brighter side for once.
 
“If it will ease your worrying you may watch the next training session, but you must control yourself and not interrupt at all. It's very important she keeps focus on what she's doing.” Kaede said. “If I have to I'll remove you with force and don't think because I'm old I can't do it. I'm still a miko.”
 
“Yeah, yeah.” Inuyasha said. None of her words scared him at all.
 
“Remember you must control yourself. I know your instincts are strong, especially towards your mate.” Kaede said. “We can cancel the training tonight. I can see that she's probably sleeping since you're here. Tomorrow morning training will continue.”
 
“I'll be sure to tell her.” Inuyasha said. He placed Shippo on his shoulder and stood. “Let's go Shippo.”
 
Kaede smiled as she shook her head. Inuyasha may be hardheaded and stubborn but he did care for the young miko.
 
-------------------
 
When Inuyasha and Shippo got back, Kagome was sitting up and looking at the doorway with a panicked expression on her face. Her hands were folded in her lap and her hair was disheveled. She was covered in a thin layer of sweat
 
He walked over to her and kneeled down beside her. “Kagome?” He waved a hand in front of her face but she didn't move at all. “Kagome!” He said louder as he shook her shoulders lightly.
 
“Inuyasha?” She whispered and looked at him. Suddenly she jumped into him and wrapped her arms around his neck, embracing him tightly.
 
“What's wrong?” He asked as he sat down and brought her into his lap.
 
“I had a bad dream and thought something happened to you and Shippo.” Kagome said as into his neck. She moved from him long enough to motion for Shippo to go to her. He quickly ran to her arms and she wrapped one arm around Inuyasha's neck and the other around Shippo.
 
“Everything's alright.” Inuyasha assured her. He rubbed her back. “You should lie down. You need your rest.”
 
Kagome nodded and let Inuyasha lay her back onto the futon. He laid down with her along with Shippo. They were in a spooning position. Inuyasha wrapped an arm around her below where Shippo was.
 
“I can't sleep long I have training.” Kagome yawned.
 
“Not today. Kaede cancelled it. Next session is tomorrow morning as usual.” Inuyasha said.
 
“You went to see Kaede-sama?” Kagome asked.
 
“Go to sleep we can talk about it later.” Inuyasha said and inhaled her scent. He was pleased her body was no longer tense and she no longer had a panicked look on her face.
 
“I'm only dropping this conversation because I'm tired.” Kagome yawned again.
 
“Yeah, yeah.” Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “Just go to sleep already!”
 
After a couple minutes Kagome's heart beat at a steady rhythm and she was asleep.
 
-------------------
 
The next morning Inuyasha woke Kagome for training. As usual he walked her to Kaede's hut but this time he stayed with her. Kagome thought it was odd because by now he usually left but she dismissed it as him just staying with her until she actually left for the training.
 
“Ah Kagome, you look well rested.” Kaede smiled.
 
“Well I did sleep through almost the whole day yesterday.” Kagome smiled. She grabbed the bow and arrow in Kaede's hut and walked back out. “I'll see you later Inuyasha.”
 
“Inuyasha didn't tell you? He's staying to watch as long as he doesn't interfere.” Kaede said.
 
“Oh, I didn't know that.” Kagome said. “What exactly did you two talk about?”
 
“Hurry up and get on with your training!” Inuyasha said. He followed Kaede when she began walking to the forest.
 
Once they reached the forest Kaede walked further away from them to a tree. She painted around it to mark it as a target, an outer circle with a dot in the middle. She set the paint down and nodded to Kagome.
 
“Just practice your aim for right now then try to focus you energy into the arrow.” Kaede said.
 
Inuyasha watched from the tree he was sitting in. Shippo was at the edge of the branch excited to be able to watch. They watched as Kagome got into a position to shoot the arrow. She aimed, focused on the target, and let the arrow fly. It flew fast and barely missed the target. Both of them were in awe. It took people years to practice before even getting that close to the target. It only took her a week.
 
After three more practice hits, which were on target, she was ready to try and focus her energy into the arrow. She'd had a problem with this part. She could get her energy into the arrow but hitting the target was something she couldn't do just yet. The trouble was that she her control was focused on keeping a low amount of her power in the arrow. She couldn't concentrate on that and focus on the target at the same time.
 
“Remember to take your time and focus.” Kaede reminded her.
 
Kagome nodded and returned to focusing on the target. As soon as she focused on the target she concentrated on getting her energy into the arrow. The tip of the arrow glowed blue before she released it. The arrow flew and hit the tree and the blue light dissolved. It was the first time she'd ever hit anywhere near the target.
 
“Great Kagome!” Kaede said. “You're getting better!”
 
Kagome smiled as she repeated the action. Each time she shot an arrow the closer she got until she finally reached the target.
 
“That's enough.” Kaede said. “You've improved a lot! From now on we'll only practice in the mornings.”
 
“Hai.” Kagome said.
 
After returning to Kaede's hut, Kagome put the bow and arrow back into place. It was for practice only. Kaede had given her, her elder sister Kikyo's bow and arrows. After everything was set Inuyasha, Kagome, and Shippo left after saying goodbye.
 
“I didn't realize you could shoot an arrow that well.” Inuyasha said once they reached the hut.
 
“That's because you weren't there until today.” Kagome said. “It's mostly instinct anyway. I haven't done that well until today.”
 
“That's because I was there.” Inuyasha said proudly.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes and flicked his ear. He yelped and she giggled. “I think I'll take a nap before lunch.” She said ignoring his yelp.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Sorry I haven't updated in a long time. Been busy with school and other personal stuff. Well hope you like this chapter. Let me know what you think!
 
Thanks to readers and reviewers! Ja ne!