InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Where Silence Meant Everything ❯ Lapse of Reason ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~Chapter 7~
Lapse of Reason
 
 
It was late. InuYasha was still in the Goshinboku, Kagome resting on his lap. He could smell her; Sakura blossoms and something that he couldn't place. It was uniquely hers. A small smile graced his lips, and he let his head sag, his hair covering his face.
 
He heard the faint pit pat of small feet, but didn't look up.
 
“Is Kagome all right?” His normally squeaky voice was tame and unnervingly calm. InuYasha pulled Kagome closer and jumped from his perch.
 
He shifted Kagome, and laid her down in between himself and Shippou. “Come here, kit.”
 
Shippou complied. It seemed like he had walked a mile before he reached the still girl. His tiny body shuddered as he dropped a hand on her forehead and sat down.
 
“What do you smell on her?” InuYasha still didn't look at the young fox. He was making sure he wasn't hallucinating. He couldn't be wrong, or else his one plan wouldn't work.
 
Shippou looked confused before leaning over her and sniffing warily “Sakura. The scent she always has…” He stopped suddenly, and his eyes widened. “You. And there's something else, InuYasha.”
 
InuYasha sat down, Tetsusaiga resting on his shoulder and his legs crossed. “What is it?” His inquiry must have struck a nerve. Shippou could feel tears at his eyes, and InuYasha could smell them.
 
“N-Nothing!” He replied, trying to convince himself that ther was no other scent, that there couldn't be.
 
“Shippou!” InuYasha demanded her say it, admit it to himself.
 
Tears fell down the kit's face. “Death, jerk!” With that, he launched his small body at Kagome's, but InuYasha caught him before he could land on her. He brought the kit close, mirroring what Kagome would usually do.
 
Shippou sobbed into his haori.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
Night? Darkness seemed to be closing in around her. She could she herself now. She watched herself, very pregnant, running from something. Tears were falling from her face, and Shippou was looking at her, willing himself not to cry.
 
Suddenly, she was given a glimpse of the something that was making them run.
 
His red eyes registered to her first. His bloody claws were outstretched and a horrible sort of grin marred his face.
 
“InuYasha!” She was screaming at him. She had stopped running by now, and was facing him. Tears were still streaming down his face. “InuYasha! Please… InuYasha!”
 
She could feel a slam of emotion before everything bled white. The scene was gone and replaced with another.
 
Kagome blushed. InuYasha was making love to her, his golden eyes glistening in the moonlight, her soft moans drifted through the tress.
 
She sighed.
 
The scene bled white, too, before disappearing.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Miroku let out a frustrated sigh. He'd told her! He'd told her it was stupid, that she could just try talking, but no, Sango had to be so headstrong.
 
Now she was running a fever, and for what? He let his hand linger on her face, and let another sigh slip out.
 
Miroku's eyebrows furrowed when Sango stirred, opening her hazel eyes slowly. He put a hand to the back of her head when she tried to sit up.
 
“H-Houshi-sama… Kagome, you have to tell InuYasha!” Miroku gathered the shaking girl in his arms, and ran a hand through her hair, down her back. He was careful not to go any lower than the curve of her back.
 
He let himself hold her for a few seconds before speaking. “Sango… he knows.”
 
“She's dead!”
 
He felt his hands drop. A heavy weight was dropped on his shoulders. Sango had to be wrong.
 
Didn't she?
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
“Sango-chan…?” Soft sobs reached her ears in the thick darkness. She couldn't reach out to her, because Kagome couldn't see her.
 
The sobs didn't lessen, and Kagome began walking towards them, calling out he girl's name, trying to see her, find her.
 
“Sango-chan? I can't see you… Sango-chan?” Kagome had to cover her eyes against the bright light that invaded her senses. She let herself fall to her knees, when the world seemed to start spinning around her. Or maybe she was spinning…?
 
A soft gasp made her open her eyes again, and she saw her crying friend. Sango was lying in a small heap at the feet of Miroku. The houshi wasn't moving and he looked slightly… afraid…?
 
But that couldn't be right. Miroku was usually the one comforting Sango and the young kit. Kagome was standing in front of them, playing out a series of events that she couldn't control, once again.
 
Kagome felt a bristling at the back of her neck, and her body became rigid, her back impossibly straight. She sucked in a large breath of air.
 
“InuYasha…” She could hear his low growl, could feel the unusually string pull of his youki. She turned to face him slowly.
 
Blood red eyes met her own. `Youkai… He isn't hanyou anymore. I don't feel the weight of the Shikon, either.' She gasped, understanding the trail of her own thoughts.
 
She turned to face her friends again to mouth the word, `Run.'
 
Miroku looked even more worried, before he lifted Sango from the ground, holding her in his arms.
 
At the movement, InuYasha growled. Kagome started, but turned to face the inu hanyou. She let him grab her arm, and winced as she felt his claws draw blood.
 
“InuYasha. Let them go, please.” She looked into his eyes, noticing the small frown that gathered on his face. He understood her, he knew her. She smiled at him. She wasn't afraid of him like Miroku or Sango were. “I'm not afraid of you, InuYasha. You're still you.”
 
He looked angry, but gave in. His other hand closed around her think wrist, and he crushed her to his body.
 
She noticed that Sango and Miroku were gone.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
AN- This chapter was so hard to write, I don't know why. I love writing Miroku's character, and I love using Full youkai InuYasha, but I found it so hard to write Kagome dying. I love the way her and InuYasha love eachother, but I know that Kikyou had his heart first. They are the same soul, and yet they are so different. Kikyou knew that she was gone, but she still held InuYasha's heart. Sometimes I tend to believe that Kikyou was testing Kagome's love for him, that she knows her soul will eventually have to return to it's rightful host. At the same time, though, she still loves him.
 
That's enough for my rant. Lol.
<3 InuGrrl ^ . ^
 
Disclaimer: I don't own InuYasha! La dee da.