InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Where Silence Meant Everything ❯ Piety ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~Chapter 8~
Piety
 
 
Shippou had fallen asleep on InuYasha's chest, and the young hanyou couldn't help himself. He pulled the kit into a tight protective embrace and held him still.
 
“Kagome… we need you. Don't you see all of this?” He gestured to the kit, feeling absolutely ridiculous. He was speaking with himself.
 
Her body was more still than ever.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
“Closer miko, you're getting closer.”
 
The voice surrounded her senses, until she could feel it swirling around her. It was a familiar youki, but she couldn't place it. She tried opening her eyes, but the light was too bright, too blinding. She squeezed them shut again.
 
A hand rested on Kagome's shoulder. “W-Who are you…?” She was getting tired, she wanted to rest.
 
She heard his light chuckle. She couldn't help but feel comforted at the rich, deep sound. “Each hour here, you waste away.” His hand moved away from her shoulder. She tried opening her eyes again.
 
It wasn't as bright as before, and she could see a man in front of her. He was clothed in ceremonial armor she wasn't too used to seeing. His stance was pure grace, and his eyes were glowing. “Sesshoumaru.”
 
She was surprised to see a small smile gracing his lips. Kagome hadn't expected the tai-youkai to visit her here. “Hai, miko. It seems that InuYasha has made a small mistake, ne?”
 
Kagome was once again surprised by the affliction in his tone. He hadn't meant to insult his brother, but he had meant to tell Kagome of something. “Shikon no Tama…” His warm laugh cut her off.
 
Sesshoumaru shook his head slowly, taking on an ethereal appearance in the bright light. “Otouto loves the jewel, ne?” His smooth chuckle filtered to her frazzled nerves once more. “Worry not, miko, what you have seen here may not come to pass. Everything happens for a reason. As nisou, you obtain the gift of seeing the plausible fate of your companions.” He pulled Tensaiga from it's sheath.
 
“Tensaiga? You mean to change fates with that?”
 
“Haven't I already, nisou?” His face took on a thoughtful frown. “What you have come to pass if Rin had died that night. Kono Sesshoumaru changed that, did I not?”
 
Kagome looked at him, a frown marring her own face. She'd had a dream, just a little over a year ago. It had been about Sesshoumaru, without the little human girl. “You would have become Tai-Youkai already. You'd have melted Tensaiga down as a charm.”
 
His smile returned. “Hai. Everything happens for a reason.”
 
His hand returned to her shoulder.
 
“You are closer to death than ever, nisou. Let it not consume you. Sleep not in these dreams for you may not be given back your soul.” A small breeze came from behind him, letting his mokomoko-sama trail over Kagome's face and neck. “Otouto will figure this all out in due time.”
 
She nodded once, a grim sort of determination taking her. She stood up before the Tai-Youkai and bowed deeply. “Thank you, Sesshoumaru.”
 
He hooked a long, thin finger under her chin. “Fret not, nisou. You trust him, do you not?”
 
“Hai. Completely.”
 
“Fate, nisou. Believe in him, and he will become your escape.”
 
With that, Sesshoumaru ceased to be, leaving Kagome alone in suffocating darkness once more.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Sesshoumaru stopped suddenly. His emotionless face displayed nothing as he turned his nose toward the wind. A thick scent clung to the breeze.
 
Sesshoumaru drew a graceful face of disgust. “Come, Rin.” He commanded softly.
 
`Indeed. What would be if Rin had died that night?'
 
“Hai, Sesshoumaru-sama!” She giggled. “Ah Un! Let's go!” She pulled on their reins as Sesshomaru turned to face the east once more.
 
`Return to the west, Otouto.'
 
His face resumed it's stoic, bored expression and the small group of three carried on, making their way onto the Tai-Youkai's land.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
A loud noise made InuYasha's head shoot up. He didn't know exactly what it was, but it woke Shippou with a start. Soon, his soft sobs reached he hanyou's sensitive ears. InuYasha focused his attention on the sobbing fox.
 
“Oi! Twerp.” His words were harsh, but his voice was soft. Shippou lifted his eyes to look directly at his surrogate father.
 
His body was overcome by a shiver when InuYasha sat him on the floor, next to Kagome's body.
 
“Protect her.” InuYasha stood and looked directly at the kit. Shippou nodded, determined. InuYasha unsheathed Tetsusaiga, and handed the sheath to the young youkai. “If things get tough, transform. You'll be able to use that to form a barrier.”
 
Shippou's eyes lit up. “I can protect her now?” He asked, eyes shining with hope.
 
“Hai. You gotta' be careful, kit. You can't hop on her or anything like that.”
 
“Hai! Careful is my middle name!”
 
InuYasha snorted. “Damn well better be.”
 
Shippou saluted him.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
`Familiar youki…'
 
Kagura dragged her bleeding form through the small bit of woods. She had made her way into InuYasha's forest by now.
 
`So close… The western lands are so close…'
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
AN: I like Sesshoumaru. Okay, I know you are going to think he's out of charcter, but keep in mind that was sort of like his Freudian subconscious. It's the way he would have been, or wants to be.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own InuYasha. Thanks.
 
Special Thanksto Inugrrl, FatalFelineOfTheNight, smitten kitten, and Devil's Dance. Each one of you has inspired me to write all of these chapters. Every chapter I write is for you. Thank you.