Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ With arms wide open ❯ Heartache ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter I - Heartache




When Naruto woke up, his eyes met a white ceiling. Hmm… weird. I can swear It was orange yesterday. Searching for his clothes, he turned his head to the right only to meet a pair of tired eyes belonging, judging by the vest, to a certain jounin.

"Kakashi- sensei? Is that you?" The still sleepy boy asked hoarsely. Blinking away the remaining of his sleep, he added, "It is you. What are you doing here? Are you the one who repainted my ceiling?"

"This is not your ceiling, Naruto." The jounin answered calmly. "More importantly, how are you feeling?"

Not my ceiling? Naruto turned his head to the left and all he saw was white.
White walls and a very, very white floor. Huh? This isn't my apartment. The carpet is barely visible at my place, not to mention the floor.
Realization slowly registered in his still half-sleeping brain as he looked back at his former sensei and answered, "I'm feeling fine. A bit dizzy though."

"Good." The jounin said quietly, relief practically dripping from his words. "I will inform the doctors."

With that said, Kakashi left Naruto's side and headed to the door. The blond patient watched as the tired jounin slowly walked out of the room, leaving the door open behind him. He couldn't fathom Kakashi showing such obvious signs of fatigue. Has he been sleep deprived lately or something?
Dismissing the thought when his bladder asked for immediate attention, Naruto tried to sit up but stopped abruptly as a sudden and dull pain shot through his chest.

"Kuso!" He snarled through clenched teeth.

"You shouldn't do that, brat." A voice from his right said. One didn't have to be a rocket scientist to recognize Tsunade's not so gentle and feminine tone.

"Hokage - sama." Naruto said. He turned to look at her and nodded his head in acknowledgment, since he was in no condition to bow.
"Is there something you want ? Or are you here simply to pay me a visit?" The young man asked and smiled lightly at the woman standing in the doorway.

Something I want? He is barely breathing yet he's still offering me his service. Tsunade thought, not surprised at all by Naruto's display of loyalty and strength. After all, he never gave up. This is your way of the ninja. Smiling at that thought, she approached the boy and sat on a nearby chair, the one Kakashi occupied several moments ago.

"Naruto… yes, there is something I want. I wish to know how are you feeling." The fifth said gently.

"Kakashi - sensei already asked me that." The blond stated as he looked out of the window. He noted to himself that whatever plans he had for the day were now officially canceled. He then turned back to Tsunade and added with a smile, "I am fine, Hokage - sama, just feeling a bit dizzy."

Sure. The fifth thought as she had the sudden urge to roll her eyes.
Instead, she pressed a finger to Naruto's chest and asked worriedly, "And what about here? Does it hurt?"

Naruto winced at the contact, clenching the sheets as his smile disappeared and a frown settled on his face. He then groaned and tightened his grip on the material beneath him, twisting it as the pain doubled. He felt as though something was tearing him from the inside.
Looking at Tsunade sitting there with an odd look in her eyes, he felt confused. Why are you just sitting there Baa- chan? Why aren't you helpin -- his own thoughts were cut off as the pain became almost unbearable.

"UURGGHHNNN..."

He shut his eyes tightly and arched his back, moaning and trying to take as much air as possible into his lungs. Feeling that his spine was about to break, Naruto tried sending at least a small amount of pain into his subconscious, but to no avail.
The pain only grew stronger and his heartbeats pounded in his ears loud enough for him not to hear his own agonizing scream break out of his throat, seconds before his muscles slacked, allowing his body to fall back on the bed.

Gasping for air, he turned wide eyed to the Hokage, confusion written all over his face. Seeing the tears on Tsunade's face, he would have held his breath in other circumstances. Instead he simply closed his eyes, focusing on getting his breath back. What was that?! What is wrong with me Kyuubi? Knowing he wouldn't get an answer anytime soon, Naruto opened his eyes and looked at the room in disbelief. The windows were gone and so was the door. The ceiling and the walls were filled with nasty cracks. He then shut his eyes again and lay completely still.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't do anything, Naruto. I'm so sorry." Tsunade whispered as she covered her face with both hands. "So sorry…"

Oh God... what is going on? Naruto thought before he let the darkness engulf him.


TBC?