Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Mechanical Affection ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
TheThirteenthHour  - “I absolutely love this story. Thanks for updating! Mitch is hilarious and his POV cracks me up. Will you ever do a chapter from Matt's POV?”
Excellent question. As far as this story goes, there won’t be anything in Matt’s POV. However, I’ve been considering writing a story parallel to this from Matt’s POV. Meaning, it occurs around the same time so all the things he said you’d finally get to know by reading this second story. Since his memory is intact and his perception is different, the story would still be novel compared to Mitch’s story.
And for anyone who’s interested, I’ve decided the theme song for the story is ‘Sugar We’re Going Down’ by Fall Out Boy.

Mechanical Affection- Chapter 8
Surprisingly enough, I was probably the least uncomfortable person, dead or living, of the group clustered around a fire in the paling sunlight. And, Christ, there were a lot of uncomfortable people. Since I never really saw more than two or three at a time, I never got the scope of how many there were. They were all chattering amongst themselves sounding very much like white noise when Big Red stood up and boomed some command that shut them all up. I was glad for that. I might have liked listening to people talk but not more than two at a time because then I couldn’t even pretend like I understood… Also I’m sure they were all talking about me and I doubt it was anything good.
Big Red said some more stuff I didn’t understand and the whispering commenced with enough shock and disgust that even I picked up on it. Then the giant in red gave Matt an unhelpful nudge and he stood up. He looked like he was the most uncomfortable of us all. I’m not sure why. Turning, he grabbed my arm and pulled me forward, since I’d been standing behind him. I’m not much for sitting.
Clearing his throat, he placed a hand on my shoulder and I stared at it… Mostly because I wanted to eat it. Would someone feed me already? God damn it.
“E-everyone.” Matt was shaking and I looked at his tasty face. He looked a little pale. Not much for public speaking? I didn’t know. Gripping my shoulder more tightly, he swallowed hard and calmed down… Externally at least, “I would like to suggest,” He began slowly, almost painfully so, “that Mitch be free to roam the camp on his own accord.” There was a roar of outbursts. I could just imagine that one of the women shrieked ‘won’t someone think of the children!’ but I couldn’t understand a word.
Matt shouted at them and Big Red stood with his hands up. His voice was louder and deeper than Matt’s and effectively quieted things down. Matt continued, “He’s not dangerous.” Since when? “He’s just…” He glanced at me but I didn’t have any answers for him, “A little sick.” I think ‘a little’ was an understatement. Dead is pretty much the sickest someone can get, “Just… Give him a chance.”
“He’s a liability.” Said someone. They were finished speaking before I could locate him or her. There were a few agreements around the circle.
“We all do our fair share of work… What can he do that would be of any use to us?” Said someone else in a surprising calm voice, and again I couldn’t pinpoint the source.
Matt furrowed his brows, “What use is he?” I think he was angry but really, he shouldn’t have been. Hell, they had a great point. I was pretty damned useless. I could carry stuff, I guess, but so could those tiny monkey devils they called children, “You would condemn a man to death because you don’t think he’s useful?”
“That thing is not a man!” Came a loud objection. Hey, now! We weren’t starting that again were we? I thought we’d all gotten past the ‘it’s and ‘thing’s. Please keep nasty comments to a minimum. Anyone hear of a little something called self censoring?
“He has thoughts and feelings.” Eh, feelings not so much… I mean, yeah, but… I don’t remember enough to really love or hate anything to any great degree. Not that anyone was asking for my opinion or anything. Why was I here exactly? To look pretty?
Big Red waved his hands, “All right, everyone. Just calm down.” Big Red, I assumed, explained some things because the group actually did calm down after another long-winded speech by him. I guess he was kind of the head honcho… What was his name again? Leon? No… That didn’t seem right, “Why don’t a few of you ask him some questions… Then we can have a vote about what happens to him.”  Oh great. Why did I suddenly feel like a pedophile on trial with a jury filled with mothers of young children? Oh right, maybe it’s because everyone wanted me dead.
No one moved… Yes. This was going well.
There was a small commotion to my -er- side? And I looked over. Claire, I think, was sitting with two of the kids and they were hissing over something until one of the boys popped out of her grasp. Matt and I stared at him, then he crouched down and smiled. Well, at least one of us liked kids. He handed the kid two large white pieces of paper with something drawn onto them and then pointed at me as he spoke something too quiet to hear. Then he stood back up and stepped back as if to present me.
The boy held up both the papers. One had a green circle on it and the other a red X. Matt leaned over, “If the answer is yes, look at the circle, no is X, and if you don’t know… Just look at me.” Okay… That was way less retarded than the initial stick and rock thing we had going.
The kid practically danced in place as he thought up a question, “Does it hurt to get shot?” He asked, almost too fast for me to fully comprehend. Matt must have told him to keep it slow and simple, but kids aren’t very good at following orders. I considered the question. I didn’t remember being shot but considering I didn’t ever feel much of anything, I was pretty sure the answer was no. And I told him so the only way I could, by looking at the red X. The boy squealed, the freak, and dropped the papers and ran back to Claire. Then he pushed the other kid out of his spot and that one stumbled towards me.
I think they thought this was some sort of game or magic trick.
“Are you afraid of the dark?” What the fuck kind of question was that? Matt smack this kid for me! But he didn’t because I couldn’t exactly say that out loud. My frame sagged a little and I looked at the red X, “Are you afraid of anything?” Oh jesus. Maybe I didn’t want them to know I understood. I looked at the X. Fuck…
Maybe I was just pissy because I really just didn’t like kids in general. Or maybe I was too hungry for my own good.
A couple of more kids joined the crowd at my feet and Matt stopped them to possibly remind them that I was simple minded. One question at a time, say it slow, and say it loud… And they did, question after question… Weren’t these little bastards inquisitive?
Do I get tired? Do I sleep at night? Do I sleep standing? Have I killed anyone? Is killing people hard? Do people taste good? Does it make me sad when other zombies die? Can I see in the dark?
There were a few slip-ups with the kids asking ‘how’s or ‘why’s but Matt had them reword. Things were getting pretty ridiculous by the time someone else had a question.
“Can you climb up walls?” Did I look like a fucking superhero? I’m not Spiderman.
“All right that’s enough. Time for bed.” Said a woman I didn’t recognize. Like a mother hen, she gathered them all up and ushered them away. She barely glanced at me as she moved them away and gave the grown-ups some time to ask questions of there own. That is… If they had any. I don’t think they were impressed with my question answering skills.
The breathers talked amongst themselves, though Matt was silent. Standing beside me and holding me by the shoulder, he watched them with interest. Then, as if reading my mind, he leaned in. Breath on my shoulder, he recited their conversation slowly for me, “They’re talking it over… Little Jon and Trinity are trying to convince them you’re dangerous.” Who? “They’re in charge of the group’s safety.” He added. Suddenly, he grabbed my face by the mask and pulled on it as he shouted something over to them. They’re discussion grew more heated and Matt rested his head on the hand on my shoulder, “Don’t worry… I won’t let them hurt you.” Why did he care so much? So what if I’d saved him? Seemed kind of ridiculous to risk his own life when mine was already over. He really was crazy... But, hell, I liked that.
I murmured quietly and Matt tipped his head toward my face, so close I could practically smell him. Actually, when I turned my head I really could smell him. Damn, delicious. I gurgled a soft hungry complaint. He glanced at me and smirked then piped up, “I’ll take care of everything.” He said to the group, “You guys won’t even have to put in any work.” Now he really did sound like he was talking about a dog, “Logan, please… Think about what he did for you.” Would someone remind me of what that was again? My mind’s just a little fried. No? All right you guys just keep going then.
“He could have just as easily killed me.” Said Big Red, well Logan I guess it was.
“But he didn’t…” He’s right. I didn’t because otherwise you’d be dead. “You were bleeding and injured…” Mm, that sounded good right about now. Oh right, I’m supposed to be innocent over here, “But he didn’t go for you… Any of you. Give me some time… You’ll see.” Listen to that guy, he’s brilliant… Or crazy. Fine line and all that.
“Let’s take the vote then… All in favor-“ In favor of what? What were we voting on? I think I must have missed something but they kept going anyway. Matt raised his hand… So did Claire… And Logan, and the woman who’d ushered the kids away, and some other breathers I didn’t know: a girl with fiery red hair, the tan girl from before but she kind of waited for the redhead to go first, and also some goth guy.
“Those not in favor?” Some big black guy raised his hand as did a woman who looked like she might have stepped out of a wacky dominatrix film… Or a scifi geared to horny men. The other girl voting against me looked like a little sweetheart, probably more scared of me than anything else.
Another guy raised his hand, some tan skinned fellow with a soul patch. He looked like a gangster or something but he wasn’t the creepiest voting against me. To be honest it was the really normal looking guy with blue eyes and blonde hair. Some Aryan looking kid that gave me the willies… Weird, he didn’t look intimidating or anything.
“Seven to five. He stays.” Logan got up from where he’d been sitting and approached. I didn’t move and just stared as he held out his hand to me. What the hell did he want me to do with it? I stared and he reached forward and grabbed my own hand to shake it. Oh yeah… “Welcome to the gang.” Oo! A gang? I’d never been in a gang before. Do I get to kill people? “Don’t make me regret this.” I don’t know how not to do that…
“He won’t.” Probably shouldn’t be making promises you can’t keep Crazycakes. But whatever. Big R-er- Logan exchanged a quick glance with Matt then continued on his way. The woman who’d taken the children away followed after him. Their departure was followed by everyone who’d voted against me and the goth who followed the nice looking girl and that creepy as hell blond kid.
Claire watched them go and got up from where she’d been sitting. Then he turned to the two other girls that were left, “You should say hello.” She told them before coming over to us, “I still think this is crazy.” She told us, actually probably just Matt.
“Thanks for backing me up anyway.” He said, sounding suddenly very drained. Oh… I looked up at the sky. Stars… When had it gotten dark? Did I just not notice or had I fallen asleep at some point. Who could tell? But wow… The stars. I don’t think I’d appreciated them in a while because I was suddenly, and quite literally, star struck. Wow, there were a lot of stars. And they were so shiny and crap. If only I could touch them. Could I eat a star?
“Mitch!” Huh?! My head was jerked down and there was a girl in front of me. The fiery haired one, the tan broad was behind her trying to look nonchalant or something, “This is Mary.” Mary… Mary… Oh! The girl with the hummer? Please show this to me. I would love to, um… Wallow all over it, “You’ve met once before… I think.” Had we? I didn’t recall.
She offered me a small smile, which I didn’t even attempt to return. Not that my mask didn’t already permanently plaster a creepy grin on my face, “Hi.” She said meekly. Uh… Hi? I groaned softly and she looked away, “Sorry I tried to shoot you.” Lady, seriously, I don’t remember. Let’s all just pretend we’ve never met, “But… You gave me quite a start.” She had an accent.
“Don’t apologize to him.” Said the tan girl. Josie, I think Matt had said her name was. “He probably doesn’t even remember.” Yeah babe, nothing personal, “Come on, you gotta get some sleep.” She added, watching me with a careful eye as she guided Mary on away. Protective much?
“I don’t know how she doesn’t see it.” Said Claire. What?
“I don’t know either.” Added Matt. See what? I’d missed something again. God damn it! “Guess we’ll hit the sack too.” He told Claire and she looked me up and down. What? I wasn’t doing anything.
“We?” She repeated. Matt shrugged and grabbed me by the ropes and pulled me away like a stubborn mule. I stumbled and staggered, resisting just because it felt right to, before I fell into pace behind him. When we got to the tent, he stopped and looked at the tree he typically tied me to. Then he looked back at his tent. I could feel the heat of his body and suddenly became rather entranced by it. I don’t believe he normally was so warm.
Rubbing his face with his hand, he looked at me though I couldn’t see his expression in the darkness. Then he cleared his throat, “I don’t suppose… You want to stay out here all night.” I’m not sure if that was a real question. Also there was nothing really to look at in response so I just stared. Staring, it’s one of my primary modes of action.
He scratched the back of his neck and stared at the tent. Dude, if it was such a big deal, just tie me to the tree. It wasn’t like I didn’t sleep standing up anyway, or like I’d actually go to sleep tonight. That’s the thing about zombie naps, wildly unpredictable things. I didn’t exactly have a choice in the matter. Not that he would know that.
“You don’t sleep laying down so…” He murmured more to himself. After a while, he seemed to make up his mind and took me over to the tree, “I’ll make up something for you tomorrow.” He promised, tying me up good and tight. I guess the whole roaming free thing was strictly a daytime thing. You know, when they could see me coming to get the hell out of my way.
He patted me on the cheek, “See you in the morning.” Uh huh. Or, like, in ten minutes when I start giving you shit for not feeding me again today. You saw my answer to the kiddies and Big Red, I’m fucking hungry. You saw it twice today!
He disappeared into his tent. There was a light on in there for a moment while he presumably got changed or something to that effect. Then, once he was settled, he turned off the light and lay still. I waited a good while before I began to a make a fuss. Moaning and groaning, mostly about how hungry I was and then, as the temperature dropped, about how cold I was.
I heard Mitch groan and became more insistent. Come on, there was no excuse now. He knew I was hungry and he really just didn’t do anything about it.
“What?” He shouted as he sat up and leaned out of his tent. I went quiet and stared at him through the darkness. He snarled something that sounded vicious, probably some type of threat. He was not a happy camper when he was woken up in the middle of the night.
I pulled at my ropes and reached out for him. I’m begging here, get me something to eat!
With a frustrated sigh, he turned on the light in his tent and came out. Grabbing me by the muzzle, he looked me in the face, “You are being such a pain in my ass.” He said, purposefully slow so that I could understand. If I could have smirked, I probably would have because I was being a dick on purpose. Instead I gave a soft coughing huff.
Covering his nose, he gagged a little and turned away. He wretched a bit more before gaining control over his gag reflex. Grumbling something under his breath, he followed my rope to the tree and untied me, “Come on then.” He ordered before practically dragging me over to his tent. Crawling inside, I pulled back and he growled something at me as he yanked harder back. The tug-o-war only lasted a few seconds before I lost my balance and toppled in after him. Landing quite firmly on top of him, instinct kicked in and it was instant attack mode.
My teeth clicked together audibly as a snapped my jaws at him. Damn mask! It was worse than before since I couldn’t chew anything or even feel the heat of his body on my face. What a drag…
Matt shrieked something fierce as I grabbed his chest and arms to hold him down. He might have been half banshee considering the lungs on this one! On my knees, I wrapped both arms around him and gripped him so close I felt like I might be able to absorb him through my own skin. And, boy, was that a wonderful feeling. Fuck. Forget food, this was heavenly.
Catching me by the rusty bars of my grin, he yanked my head to the side and subsequently my body naturally followed. He scrambled to get to his own knees. I could practically hear his heart thundering in his chest, “Shit!” He choked out, followed by a guttural second sentence that was too fast and too distorted for me to catch. Getting to his feet he rushed outside. I could feel him walk away from the tent, his body was so hot.
Ruin my fun, why don’t you? Jerk.
I might’ve chased after him had my ropes and body not gotten tangled in whatever mess was in the tent. For a while I did attempt to at least get up, but said attempts were, to say the least, utter failures. So I lay uncomfortably and waited for him to come back.
I’d cooled off considerably by the time he returned, though he still looked a little flustered in the light of the still shining lamp. Kneeling far off to the side, he considered me. Then he lay down and turned off the light. Uh, hey… Little help here? I was kind of stuck, “You deserve it.” You suck...