Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Mechanical Affection ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Glad everyone’s enjoying the story so far. We’ll be entering the events that lead to the climax in a few chapters. It’s going to be exciting.
Now, enough talk, on with the story.

Mechanical Affection- Chapter 9
Hunger left me more brain dead than usual. Even I was having trouble comprehending what I thought, which would have been scary if I were lucid enough to realize it. This might have explained why I was currently hovering over Lucifer like a vulture and staring at his oil black form as though it were of interest… Which it wasn’t. Well… Not to anyone with a brain that was working right. For me, he was quite fascinating.
His sleek black hair shaded his white face like a veil and the leather of his clothes squeaked oddly as he worked. Currently, he was hunched over a box as black as his hair with a trusty baseball bat resting at his shoulders. Kim, whose name I somehow managed to remember, was nowhere to be seen. After several days observation I’d deduced they were a couple. It was kind of cute and I enjoyed watching them together… That might have classified me as a pervert if everyone in camp wasn’t already freaked out by how much I just stood and stared at them. I’m not sure exactly what else they thought I would do.
Why did I call this black thing Lucifer? Was there a reason? I leaned further forward, jaw slack, and continued to stare. He looked over his shoulder and stiffened. Gripping his bat, he picked it up and pressed the butt end to my chest to push me away. I leaned back a little and he put the bat back against his shoulder. He muttered something that sounded an awful lot like ‘freak’ and continued.
I leaned in. What was he doing? A brilliant flash of light burnt out my vision and I heard him curse, “Matt!” He yelled irritably. I couldn’t see but looked around anyway. As much fun as it was watching Lucifer, I was still much more fond of Matt. Even if the little son of bitch never fed me, “Matt!” And suddenly he was standing. Shoving me in the chest with the bat, he started yelling, presumably at Matt.
If I hadn’t been blinded earlier, I might’ve made a fuss over it. So instead I stood there like an idiot… Or a zombie, which was to be expected.
“Wh-up?” Wait a second. I turned suddenly to face the new body of warmth. That wasn’t Matt’s voice! Anyone else and I might not have been so alarmed but Blue Eyes gave me the creeps. My vision crept back and I eyed the blonde warily. There was nothing odd about him and maybe that was just it. For being a survivor he was just too normal. Him and his perfectly trim hair and clean clothes that looked like he’d ironed them seconds before putting them on.
“Caleb,” Lucifer, or whatever his real name was, began before his words fell into a jumbled mess I couldn’t understand. Regrettably, Blue Eyes understood and grabbed me roughly by the bars of my muzzle. He tried to pull me away but I didn’t want to go with him. I didn’t want anything to do with Blue Eyes. Thrashing my head back and forth, I snarled viciously at him until I was suddenly let go and fell to the ground.
“What’s going on over here?” Matt! Thank God! I flopped around like a fish out of water as I tried to get up until a familiar trident extended in front of my face and I was pulled up. On my feet again, I gazed accusingly at Blue Eyes and Lucifer.
Matt, I’m feeling some hostility here that I personally feel is unwarranted. Damn. That was probably the smartest thing to come to my head for days and Matt couldn’t understand a word of it. Shame. I think he might’ve been a little proud of me.
There was a tug at my head, “Come on, baby.” Oh, they were done talking. Fine with me. Arm lassoing me around the shoulders, Crazycakes walked me away, “What is it with you and Nate?” Who? “You like him or something?” I have no idea what you’re talking about, “I mean… It’s okay if you do but…” He searched for words, “He doesn’t like to be watched while he works.” Oh, you mean Lucifer. Maybe if somebody wasn’t always running around. I eyed him scornfully, or at least I hoped it was scornful.
I just couldn’t keep up. He was quick on those skinny legs… Those delicious looking skinny legs… My mouth felt painfully dry and empty.
Matt’s grip on my shoulders tightened when I started to walk on without him. He’d stopped and stared at a cluster of his companions. I looked as well, but was less interested. I couldn’t understand a word they said most of the time. Matt was really the only one who bothered to slow the pace down for me to actually hear him. Leaning in, I could feel his breath warm on my skin, “I’m not scared.” Who are you trying to impress? Not me I hope, “Are you?” Uh… Of what now?
Taking my silence as a ‘no’ he raised his hand and yelled over, “Mitch and I will go!” The group turned and Big Red folded his arms and looked at Mom, who I gathered was his wife since the little gremlins that called her ‘mom’ also called Big Red ‘dad’. She had a name, but I didn’t remember it.
“Yeah, send the dead guy.” Added someone in the crowd, who knows who it was.
“Are you sure about this?” Big Red asked but I wasn’t really listening. His leg was in poor shape, I could tell because of how hot it was, how hot he was. It reminded me of my hunger and I groaned a soft complaint that they’d all heard at least a dozen times before. Not that any of them seemed to recognize it as a complaint.
“Sure, I’m sure.” Matt nodded giving me a shake to break my stare at Big Red’s injured leg. I’m sure they all noticed the way I watched them sometimes, like a vulture waiting for them to kill over. Not that any of them said anything to me about it.
“All right.” Big Red motioned to Little Red. She wasn’t related but when I forgot her name her curly red locks were all I had to go off of. At least… I think they weren’t related. Shit, what did I know? The girl nodded and dashed away and Matt pulled me along to follow after her.
By the time Matt had dragged my sorry ass over to our destination, Little Red was behind the wheel of a military green hummer. Matt suddenly had to shift gears from pulling me forward to holding me back. Despite his efforts, I was on the hood of the hummer in a matter of seconds, moaning and groaning with renewed vigor.
Matt grabbed my head and growled something too low for me to hear clearly. When he peeled me off, he shoved me into the back and got in, “What is with you?” He grumbled as the engine roared and the vehicle jerked into motion. I assumed the reason he currently refused to look at me was my erection. I deduced this the same way I knew Big Red was ill, his body was extraordinarily hot, one place in particular. Mm… I sure was hungry, “Mitch, knock it off!” He shoved my head back so I wasn’t staring intently at his crotch. Hey, it wasn’t my fault. Cut me some slack.
When the vehicle screeched to a stop, we were in the city. Ah, the city… I barely remembered it at all.
Getting out of the vehicle, Matt picked up a backback. I didn’t remember him putting that there. I stared curiously as he pulled out a paper and set the pack on my lap. Grabbing a pen, he put the paper on the hood of the hummer… Hm… I wouldn’t mind being draped over that. So warm over there…
I groaned and Matt looked over at me, “One track mind, huh?” He scribbled on the paper and shoved the pen and paper into his pocket. That he could fit anything into those pockets was some kind of miracle, “Well, let’s get shopping.” Shopping? For what? He grabbed my arm and pulled me out before putting the backpack on me, “We’ll be back soon Mary.” Oh, that was Little Red’s name… Mary.
First stop, the drug store, “Wait here, I’ll check it out.” Matt told me as he pulled a gun from behind his back and cocked it. I think he was confused about which one of us was the vulnerable one, but whatever. I watched as he stepped in through the broken window and gave the place a once over with the gun held in front of him… That gun… Didn’t that look familiar? “Coast is clear. Come on!” He called out to me as he pocketed the gun and waved. Rather than carefully stepping in, I just tripped right over the windowsill and into the glass. Matt cursed and rushed over to help me up, “Watch where you’re going.” He told me. Yeah… I’ll do that. Now, what are we here for?
“The place is pretty cleaned out already.” He mentioned as he looked through the shelf, “No antibiotics anywhere.” Knocking some things off one of the shelves, he searched it a bit more thoroughly before abandoning his search there and moved on to the bandaid section. Not much left there either, just little flimsy strips. They wouldn’t be much good for more than a tiny cut but Matt seemed pretty interested, “Hey, get over here.” Hm? I wandered in closer and he grabbed the strap of the backback to whirl me around. Pushing me down to my knees, he began to shovel the shelf into the backpack. What the hell did he think he was going to do with this shit? Also, fuck, could he be a little bit more gentle? Little prick’s gonna break my knee cap or something.
Letting me go, he continued looking. Here and there he found something of interest. Boxes and bottles filled with unknown things. I might’ve known if I could have read the labels anymore or at least remembered what generic images represented which product… Actually, despite having told me it was cleaned out, he grabbed a surprising number of things. Maybe he was just taking the shit for the sake of taking it.
Then he wandered on back to the aisle we’d already been through. I looked at the boxes he’d stepped in front of but I couldn’t read them. But they were different in the fact that they were black. I looked at the ground. It was littered with trampled boxes and square packages… Wait a second.
Matt grabbed me by the waistband of my pants and pulled me forward. Uh, excuse me. Do you mind? I groaned irritably as he undid my pants and took a look inside. Seriously? Buttoning and zipping up my pants again, he grabbed some of the boxes off the shelf and shoved them in the backpack over my shoulder. Uh… What the hell did he think he was going to do with those? What the hell did he think I was going to do with those? I wasn’t exactly top picks for anyone these days, especially in that department.
“Don’t look at me like that.” I’ll look at you any way I want, Crazycakes. You’re fucking crazy, “We probably won’t even use them.” We? Should I be concerned?
I wasn’t sure if that was to say he wasn’t going to try anything or if he just wouldn’t use them if he did. Either way, it was slightly disturbing was even thinking of that, “Hey. Just because it’s the end of the world, doesn’t mean it has to be the end of our sex lives.” I dunno, Matt. I kinda think that’s what it means. “Let’s go.” Gladly. I followed him out and we continued onwards down the street. We didn’t get far before he pointed in another store, “Let’s get you something decent to wear.” I thought I was wearing something decent. Or maybe he just wanted to get me out of my clothes.
Crawling in through the window, he began to browse the selection for something ‘decent’. When he found something he liked, he grabbed my by the pants again and checked the tag. Then he did the same for my shirt. Gathering things in my size, he stuffed them into some stray bags and tied them to my belt. Gee, thanks… “Wait here, I’m going to try on some stuff.” Didn’t he have clothes?
As he disappeared into the dressing room hall, I took a look around. I spotted someone moving across the store and wandered over curiously. Face to face, I stared a long moment. Another zombie? I reached out to push it only to find that it was solid, cold, and definitely not another zombie. Damn mirrors. They confuse the hell out of me. But hey! I was looking pretty good, if not exceptionally creepy because of my muzzle.
Oh… He was right. I needed new clothes like fifty year old stripper needs money. I looked like a patchwork quilt made by a blind woman. Could he have picked colors that clashed anymore? Ugh… Oh well. Not like I really had to look at my hideous clothes, it was his loss.
“W~ah!” Huh? That scream sounded like Matt. Turning around, I weaved through the display racks to the source of his scream. As I wandered into the changing rooms I could hear the commotion coming from one of the far rooms. Oh Crazycakes, you moron. I mean, he couldn’t have backed himself into more of a corner if he’d tried.
When I reached the farthest dressing room, Matt was pushed up into a corner and he had a blade in the side of someone’s neck, a zombie’s neck.
Hey now, that’s my manwich! With a snarl, I rushed forward and slammed the zombie into the wall. I promptly forgot that my mouth was covered and attempted to bite her, it was a her, but only managed to get the knife handle caught in my muzzle. Pulling my head away, I shook the blade free and grabbed her by the head. All right bitch, you’re going down! One quick slam into the wall and she was a goner. You’re welcome, Matt.
Turning, I spotted Crazycakes collapsed onto the floor. Oh man, how lame… And he called himself a man. Guess I’d go stand guard.
Just outside the small room, I watched and waited until he woke up. I didn’t have anything better to do so I wasn’t really all that put out. Anyway, it was a nice chance to do zombie things like staring off into space.
“Ow… My head.” About time he woke up. Turning, I stared down at him and he stared up at me. I think he was surprised to see me there, “Mitch?” Uh huh? Groaning, he got to his feet. His jaw was a little slack. Careful, you’re starting to gape dumbly like the rest of us dumb zombies, “You…” Me? “You saved my life.” Yeah… I suppose I did. I looked at the dead girl. Was that strange of me? No. She was just another zombie. Oh, but then… Matt was just another breather. Wasn’t he? Why should I save him and kill one of my own?
He smiled. What a nice smile, “Thank you.” Yeah, whatever.
Matt called it a day and we headed back to the hummer. He was strangely quiet on the ride back and I waited for him to tell Mary about what happened but he didn’t say a word. When we got back, he helped me out of the hummer and placed both hands on my shoulders, “I’ve got another errand to run. Can you take that stuff back to Logan?” Logan… Logan… “The guy with the injured leg.” Oh, Big Red. Got it. I turned away and the engine rumbled again. I paused and watched. Where was he going?
Hm… “Mitch.” Huh? Oh, it was Claire, “Where’s Matt?” I dunno. She looked around and, when she didn’t see him, she unzipped the backpack, “The hell?” She pulled out a box of condoms. Don’t look at me, I didn’t put those in there. I moaned as I began to wander away, “Hey!” Oh, I know she wasn’t done but I needed to get going if I was going to remember to give this shit to uh… Big Red.
She grabbed the backpack and yanked me back. Damn it! Let me go! I snarled and flailed at her a bit before she grabbed both of my hands, “Stop it!” You stop it! Shoving my arms down, she forced me around and began to rummage through the backpack. When she found what she was looking for, she pulled it out and then gave me a shove, “All right, get out of here.” Sheesh. What a bitch. I complained quietly.
Free again, I made my way through the camp until I stumbled across Big Red, “Oh, you’re back.” He said flatly, “Hazel, could you help him with that?” And Mom came out of a tent and tended to me. Pulling off the backpack and bags, she set them next to Big Red. Once she’d done that and he began to go through everything, she came back to me.
Taking my hands, she looked them over. Oh… I must have gotten some –er- stuff all over them from the zomgirl back at the store, “Did you two run into some trouble?” Yeah, but I couldn’t tell her that so I just stared over her shoulder at Big Red.
“Looks like… They didn’t get far.” Logan mentioned. I guess we were supposed to have gone more places in our allotted time, “I hate to ask it, but they’ll need to go back.” I didn’t mind. As far as I was concerned I was already in bed with the enemy so I didn’t have anything to worry about. Now Matt on the other hand... “Matt grabbed some personal supplies while he was at it.” Logan mentioned as he piled some things together that he presumably had not asked for. He said something else to her that I didn’t catch but she left me and bagged some of the things back up after he said it. Then she tied the bag back on me and smiled.
“Thank you for going today.” What’s the big deal? It wasn’t so bad… Actually… It wasn’t bad at all. Just one zombie. Just one… What a low number. Why did that seem so odd to me? Such a low number… “Mitch?” Hm? “Are you all right?” Oh yeah. I needed to go wait for Matt.
Turning around, I marched straight to his tent without a second thought. Well… As straight to the tent as I could considering I still wasn’t great about remembering where the hell anything was.
It was late when Matt found me back at the tent, which I had found... Eventually.
The sun was starting to go down. Where had he been all day? “I’ve got a surprise for you.” For me? How sweet, Crazycakes. Gifts for zombies, I think this was a first. Untying the bag from my waist, he tossed it in the tent before grabbing my hand, “Come on.” He seemed pretty damn pleased with himself. I hoped that meant it was a good gift- Oh!
He stopped me in front of a large wire cage that currently housed a fair sized hare in it, “You have no idea how hard it is to nab one of those things alive.” Matt told me, “That should be good right? You’ll eat it?” Now he was speaking my language. Though I don’t know that I was exactly speaking his since all I was able to respond with was a ravenous groan as I grabbed the wire mesh and tried to rip it down, “Woah, woah! Calm down.” Grabbing my muzzle, he pried me away and opened up the cage door, “Wait a second.” He added as he closed it behind me.
Reaching in, he undid the latch that held my muzzle on and I was free. Well, free to roam in the cage which might have been a dog run prior to the fall of the human race. Though, he could have stuffed me in a coffin and as long as there was something tasty to eat, I’d have been fine with that too. Speaking of tasty, it was dinnertime.
There was a slight scuffle as I attempted to catch the tiny beast, it was a fast little fucker, but I quickly pinned it to the ground. I didn’t bother picking it up and leaned down like a dog to tear into it with my teeth. As its bones crunched between my teeth and warmth spilled into my mouth, I entered a state of ecstasy. Mother almighty it was great to eat!
It was gone in a matter minutes: bone, fur, brains, and all. I left nothing except the spatter of blood on the grass, though I thoroughly enjoyed that while the warmth lasted by rubbing my face into it before it dried, “What a mess…” Who was that? I got to my hands and knees and looked over at him. I was still so hungry. Lunging at him, I smashed my face into the chain link. I gnawed at it desperately as I reached through and clutched his legs. I wanted more! “Sorry, man, that’s all I got… I’ll try again tomorrow.” He said as he pulled out of my grasp and picked up a stick off to the side.
I felt something slip around my neck. What the-? It tightened and I jerked back. With a choked gasp, I thrashed about until my face was forced to the ground. Then, and I’m not sure on the details here, I had something strapped on my face and the guy was helping me to my feet, “Geez, Mitch.” Who? It took a moment for my brain to kick up again, then I remembered myself. That was my name. And the guy who was wiping off my face with his shirt was Matt.
Matt… He smiled. He had a nice smile. Then he leaned in and kissed the tip of my muzzle. What a lunatic.