Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ What's a chimera to do? ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Slayers doesn't belong to me, the characters don't either, `nuff said.

Chapter 2

Xellos watched with a puzzled expression as Zelgadis wrapped his arms around the princess. {{Since when did the chimera develop feelings for Amelia?}}

Zelgadis gave Amelia a little squeeze. {{Her body felt so comforting pressed against his. Warm, inviting… He wanted more of these feelings…}}

Zelgadis tilted her head towards his and touched his lips to hers. {{She said she loves you… She wants to be with you… do you want her? Yes, I do. Do you really want her, or just what she can offer you? I- I don't know…}}

A muscle in Xellos's face twitched. He phased out.

"Zel-chan!! Amelia!!" Lina's voice cut through the darkness causing them to jump apart.

"Dinner's ready!" Lina continued.

"Geez!" Amelia said, flustered. "I thought for a minute that she'd seen us!"

Zelgadis felt a small pain shoot through his heart. {{You don't want anyone to know, do you? You say you love me- but you're embarrassed for anyone to find out.}}

"Lucky us," he said trying to sound enthusiastic.

Dinner was uneventful. Lina and Gourry fought over the food as usual, yet this time Zelgadis saw it differently.

{{It's not about the food anymore is it? It's a game, just another way for the two of you to interact with each other. Lina, you don't see the way he looks at you. Pure adoration shines in his eyes. It is similar to the way you look at him. Both of you feel the same way and don't even realize it.}}

Zelgadis looked over at Amelia. {{Do I feel that way about you?}}

Xellos sat watching Zelgadis. {{It just doesn't make sense. He never showed interest in her before now. What changed? Everyone knew she had a crush on him. Does saying it aloud really change things so much?}}

Xellos watched the fire's light and shadow flicker over Zelgadis's face. {{What is he thinking about?}}

Zelgadis looked up. He felt like he was being watched…but not by anyone around the fire…

~~~o~O~o~~~

That night, Zelgadis volunteered to keep first watch. Amelia offered to help, but Zel insisted he'd be fine and that she should get some sleep. After a while she reluctantly agreed. They all said goodnight, then he was alone. Well, almost…

After an hour or two had gone by, Zelgadis heard a twig snap right behind him. He spun around, sword in hand. There was Xellos, grinning ear to ear with a snapped twig in his hands.

"What the hell!?" said the chimera angrily when he saw Xellos. "Xellos? What are you doing here?"

The priest opened his mouth to say his trademark line.

"No wait, don't answer that." Zel cut in.

"Awww, you're no fun!" Xellos said, disappointed.

"Good."

"Geez, what's eating you?"

"Nothing." Zelgadis sank back down onto the tree stump he was sitting on.

"Oh, I see." Xellos nods to himself.

"Huh? See what?" Zel asked, wondering if Xellos was picking up on anything. The thought made him uneasy….

"Sore wa himitsu des!!!" replied the priest amidst peals of laughter.

"FLARE ARROW!" growled Zel, blasting Xellos across the campsite and into a tree. {{Why does he have to do things like that?}}

Xellos smiled and peeled himself off the tree looking quite pleased with himself. He wandered back over to where Zelgadis was sitting, and levitated in a sitting position a few feet off the ground. Zelgadis glared at him.

"What is it now? and you better give me a real answer this time…"

"Why Zelgadis, are you `threatening' me?," asked Xellos cheerfully.

Zelgadis's eye twitched. "Yes."

"Oooo. Something sure has your panties in a bunch!" Xellos laughed.

"That's it!" Zelgadis growled, and slammed his fist into the priest's midsection.

Xellos doubled over and grabbed onto the chimera's shoulder. "I'll have you know," Xellos said thickly, "that was as much for your benefit as it was for mine."

"What are you talking about?" the chimera asked.

" Well," Xellos said slowly, "You aren't as tense as you were before…"

"Wha- you're right. I-"

"Secondly," Xellos continued, as he looked up and smiled, "That felt really good."

"You fruitcake!!" Zelgadis said as he shoved Xellos off of him, knocking him to the ground, then kicking him for good measure.

"Oh, that hits the spot!" Xellos said with a bright smile. Zelgadis couldn't help stomping on him a few more times. It was kinda fun.

"Ahhhh," Xellos sighed happily.

"you are so strange," Zelgaddis said, laughing a little as he sat down.

Xellos propped himself up on his elbow. "Are you going to tell me why you're so stressed out now?"

Zelgadis thought a moment. "I guess it doesn't matter." He explained the stuff with Amelia, which Xellos had seen earlier.

{{That still doesn't tell me anything new… Xellos thought.}}

"Well Zelgaddis, what do you think about the whole thing?"

{{Amazing, Zel thought. I'm having a normal conversation with Xellos, of all people… He actually seems to want to help me…)

"To be honest, I don't know," Zelgaddis sighed.

"Tell me," Xellos said, "When did you start having feelings for her?"

"Well, I… um, well I guess I never really thought about it until she said something."

"So why do you want a relationship with her now?" Xellos asked.

Zelgadis was getting frustrated. Xellos was asking him the same questions he'd asked himself, and he didn't have any good answers.

"I want to know what draws you to her, Zel-kun," The priest said quietly. {{I can feel your turmoil, Zelgadis. You might as well tell me the truth. I'll see through any lies you try to feed me.}}

to be continued….

________________________________________________________________ __

Chapter 3 is a work in progress… I'm still editing and stuff, so it'll be up in about a week. Let me know what you think so far…