Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Mayakashi ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha, Bleach, or YuYu Hakusho, or any of the anime/manga characters.
Warnings: Language
Rest Part I
 
Alright! I can move again!” Kagome exclaimed, practically skipping out of the 4th Division barracks.
Shippo giggled, curling his tail around her neck.
“You're sure excited, momma.”
“Yep! I think I'm going to ask Yamamoto for a favor,” she said, walking toward the Captain Commander's office.
“Come in,” the old man's voice grumbled before Kagome even raised her hand to knock.
“Good day, Captain Yamamoto,” Kagome said, bowing.
“What is it that you want, Captain Higurashi?” the man growled out.
“I would like to take a personal leave, if it would be acceptable.”
“For how long?”
“I don't know. I just need to relax after all that injury,” Kagome sighed.
“I'll allow you five days.”
“R… Really?” Kagome asked, blinking in surprise.
“Is there a problem?”
“Nope! Seeya!”
And she was gone in the next second, the Senkaimon guards not having even noticed as she passed them.
She came out on the shrine grounds, and quickly, and as quietly as possible, snuck inside. She found her mother humming softly in the kitchen, stirring something that smelled delicious.
“Wow! Whatcha makin'?” Kagome asked, mere inches behind her.
The woman squealed and jumped at her daughter's sudden appearance, causing Kagome to giggle and her son to snicker.
“Kagome! Don't do that! I almost had a heart attack!” the older woman growled, rounding on her daughter.
“Hehe. Sorry,” Kagome giggled.
“So, what brings you by?”
“I took a leave of absence for a few days,” Kagome sighed. “I need some rest, and this is the only place I'll be safe from Yoruichi and Momo.”
“I see… How long will you be staying?”
“I'm allowed to stay for five days. I thought I'd visit Sango and Miroku, maybe go on a hopefully peaceful date with Uryuu, spend some time with you and Souta.”
“That's wonderful, Kagome!” her mother exclaimed, wrapping her daughter in a hug.
“Hey, sis!” Souta's voice rang out, about five seconds before he appeared at the bottom of the stairs.
“Hey, Souta,” Kagome said as Shippo scrambled to his uncle's side.
“Ya' stayin' around for a while?”
“Yup!”
“Cool! Can you show me some magic?”
“Hmm… Maybe in a bit. Shippo, why don't you and your uncle go and play for a bit? Right now, I just need a nice, warm bath,” she said, ruffling their hair as she passed them.
“Okay!” Shippo exclaimed before grabbing Souta's hand and dragging him outside…
 
Several hours later, a very relaxed and content Kagome descended the stairs, the divine scent of her mother's cooking assaulting her senses immediately.
“That was wonderful,” Kagome sighed as she took a seat at the table.
“What? No baths in the Seireitei?” her mother asked, giggling.
“No. Actually, there are some very nice spas there… But I really needed that. I wasn't allowed to go anywhere for the last few days.”
“Sis, are you gonna' show me some magic?” Souta asked excitedly.
“First we eat, then I'm going to sleep, kiddo. I'll show you some really impressive tricks tomorrow to make up for it, `kay?”
“Okay,” Souta sighed, looking adorably pouty…
 
“Okay, you ready?” Kagome asked, her power flaring.
“Yep!”
“Alright. Because I'm a Captain, my power here's limited… though my natural miko power has some kind of weird counter-effect that makes most of my power available… anyways, what I'm about to show you is a lot more impressive when I'm not limited.”
“Okay!” the children chimed together, staring at her with wide eyes.
Kagome's body suddenly flashed, and then it was blurry. And seconds later, two Kagome's stood there, and they both looked solid.
“Wow! That's so cool!” Souta exclaimed.
The second image vanished, and Kagome sighed, a slight amount of sweat forming on her brow.
“What was that!?”
“It's called Shiho. I learned it from Yoruichi… but I haven't mastered it yet. I can only make one physical clone of myself, and it's exhausting.”
Both children applauded and Kagome smiled.
“Hey, sis, can you teach me some magic?”
“Maybe… Show me your aura.”
Souta sighed and closed his eyes in concentration. Several minutes later, his eyes opened and he sighed again.
“I can't… Can't you show me magic anyways?”
“Umm… No. I don't think that the neighbors would appreciate you accidentally blowing something up because you don't have control over your energy,” Kagome said, smirking.
Aww! Come on! I have more control than that!”
“Yeah? Alright, I'll tell you what. Shippo and I are going to visit Sango and Miroku. We'll be back later tonight. If you can show me that you can manifest your aura like I showed you by then, I'll spend tomorrow teaching you Kido. Deal?”
“Yeah!” he chirped, eyes wide in childish excitement.
“Alright then. Ready, Shippo?”
In response, the kit took his favorite spot on her shoulder, and they quickly vanished into the well.
With Kagome's superior speed, they made it to the village in no time flat, and found Kaede huddled over a small garden near her hut. As soon as she felt their presence, the elderly miko straightened and turned toward them, a small smile on her face.
“Hello, Kagome.”
“Hi, Kaede! Sorry I haven't visited in so long.”
“Oh, tis' no bother. So what brings ye by?”
“Well, Shippo wanted to play in the forest a while, and I wanted to visit. Not a lot of forests in my time,” Kagome sighed.
“I see… Well, then, would ye mind helping me with my garden? My body's not like it once was,” she replied, smiling sheepishly.
“Sure!”
Shippo hopped off her shoulder and took off in a cloud of dust.
“Be back later, momma!”
“Be back before it gets dark,” she called, a smile on her face.
As soon as he was out of sight, Kagome went to the garden, looking at the various herbs.
“Wow! You've grown a lot since I was here, Lady Kaede!” she exclaimed, kneeling down near a large patch of brilliantly colored flowers.
“Why, thank you, Kagome. Tis' a shame ye haven't been here in some time,” the wizened woman said, taking a kneel at the garden.
“I want to stop by all the time. I never thought I'd be so busy. But, it's definitely worth it.”
“I'm glad for ye,” the miko replied, seeing the real happiness to Kagome's smile.
And then, her expression darkened slightly. Not much, but just enough for Kaede to notice, and she sighed.
“What troubles ye?”
“What? Nothing,” Kagome said, turning to the older woman.
“Really, now,” Kaede chided. “I know ye too well, Kagome,” she added, smiling softly.
At that, Kagome let out a low laugh and sighed once it subsided.
“You're right. There's a real issue I'm going to have to deal with…”
“And what is that?”
“Inuyasha's not dead,” Kagome said, glaring at the ground.
“What? I thought for sure Lord Sesshomaru delivered a fatal blow,” Kaede said, frowning.
“He did… I know he did. I saw his corpse. Felt his corpse. And yet, he's not dead. Not only that, even the Tetsusaiga's not broken. It's not even like it was before. He seems even more hateful and angry, and twice as dangerous… and yet, he's still completely his hanyo self. I don't understand it,” Kagome sighed.
“Is it possible that he was brought back to life?” Kaede asked calmly.
“Maybe… But that would require his soul, and he lost that when he consorted with Kikyo after she lost her soul… At least, that was the theory as to how he was still alive and yet completely demonic… But now I'm not sure. And this time, I'm going to have to make absolutely sure that he's completely, absolutely dead…”
“I see your trouble,” Kaede sighed sympathetically.
“And there's more. I can't exactly tell the others he's not dead. These new people I have to work with know, but if I tell my friends, I might end up dead… I'm so confused. I've really got no idea what to do.”
“I see… I advise that ye simply follow your instincts. They've never led ye astray yet, as far as I'm aware.”
“Huh… Thanks, Kaede. So, what do you need from the garden?” she asked, getting to ready for some labor.
“I was just finished when ye showed up,” Kaede said, smiling.
“Really? Alright, then, let's go inside,” Kagome said, jumping to her feet.
Together, the two miko wiled the day away with the elder miko teaching Kagome more about herbs and medicine. It was just about time for the sun to begin its descent when Miroku and Sango made an appearance, surprised by Kagome's presence.
“Lady Kagome, what a surprise,” Miroku said, giving her a hug.
“I thought I'd visit you guys. I have a little while off duty,” Kagome said, smiling as she brought her `sister' into the hug as well.
“I take it you wouldn't object to dinner, then?” Kaede asked, bringing their attention to the pieces of meat that she was placing over the fire pit.
“Not at all. My brother wants me to teach him some spells, and I told him that he had to be able to show me his aura clearly by the time I get home. I know he can do it, but I want him to get a little anxious,” Kagome said, sitting with her friends.
The meat cooked quickly, and they just as quickly devoured it all, Shippo taking everything they didn't, or couldn't, eat.
“So, how is life going, now that the demons aren't running amuck?” Kagome asked, curious as to how her friends now lived.
“Quite well, actually,” Miroku enthused, wrapping his arm around his brightly blushing wife. “My lovely Sango and I have been asked to help train the nearby Lord's men. We will get paid quite handsomely, and will have a much larger home, which will be very convenient, soon.”
“Convenient? Why? A family of four isn't really all that big,” Kagome said, frowning in thought.
“Well, that is true. But we will not remain a family of four much longer,” he said, smiling brightly as Sango blushed even darker.
“Oh, wow! Congratulations, guys! But how'd this all happen?” Kagome asked, very curious at the turn of events.
“It was very bizarre,” Sango said, frowning. “There was a swarm of rat youkai that were attacking the castle. We just happened to be the nearest village to the castle, and a heavily injured soldier showed up, begging for help. We got there, and they were being slaughtered…”
“And then, I used the Wind Tunnel, and my dear Sango killed off whatever I couldn't get.”
“Kirara helped, too,” Sango said, hugging the small feline to her chest. “I'm so glad that you didn't get taken with the rest,” she added, smiling into her fur.
In response, Kirara purred and rubbed her cheeks against her mistress's face, tails swaying happily.
“Yes, Kirara, as well. The daimyo was almost killed, but Sango killed the attacking demon, the leader, and he begged us to, as he put it, `please teach his pathetic soldiers to fight.' We obviously couldn't refuse,” Miroku finished.
“Wow… Well, congratulations, you two!” Kagome said with a bright smile, pulling them into a hug again.
That's when Kagome noticed Shippo, sleeping in the corner of the hut, and the sun was down.
“Oh, wow, it's gotten late. I have to get going, you guys,” she said, bringing Shippo into her arms.
“Thank you for the lovely visit, Lady Kagome,” Miroku said, smiling broadly.
“Yeah. Please stop by again some time,” Sango said, hugging her `sister' one last time.
“I will. Have a good night. Congratulations, again,” Kagome whispered before she vanished, taking off into the well.
As she came out, she found her brother resting against the well, snoring lightly. With a soft smile, she lifted him as well, and carried the children inside.
As she was putting Souta to bed, he stirred, eyes widening and clearing the instant he saw her.
“Hi, Kagome!”
“Hey, Souta.”
“I can bring my aura out. Look!”
Seconds later, a brilliant wall of white energy enveloped him, and he smiled brightly.
“Wow! You have a lot of potential, Souta!” Kagome exclaimed happily.
“So you'll train me?”
“Yes. Absolutely. But not tonight. You need to be fully rested to learn Kido, or bad things can happen.”
“Okay. Tomorrow, then?”
“You bet,” she said, smiling as she ruffled his hair. “Have a good night.”
And, true to her word, she did teach him. Her entire third day off was spent teaching and helping her younger brother master the lower-level magic she knew, and she was very impressed with how quickly he mastered it.
Eventually, night fell, and Souta fell unconscious with a broad smile on his face, all his energy reserves thoroughly used…
 
A/N:
Shiho- Cicada (this is the technique that Byakuya uses against the Espada to make clones of himself)
daimyo- a Japanese lord during the Feudal Era
As always, be sure to tell me what you think, good or bad!